The Voice Season 4 Premiere Recap: Love Shak, Baby, Love Shak!

shakira the voice season 4Diva-holics, relax! What Season 4 of NBC’s The Voice lacks in Christina Aguilera’s extroverted decolletage, flying-saucer hats and impromptu “this is how it’s done” vocal displays, has already been made up for with Shakira’s harmonica riffs, inspirational quips (“faith is the engine!”) and killer Blake Shelton impression.

Yep, we’re only one episode in, and the uni-monikered Colombian superstar is already proving so charmingly adept at her new gig that Xtina and Cee Lo’s absences barely registered. I mean, it’d be nice if one of the coaches went out and got an animal sidekick a la Purrfect the Cat — one* wonders if Animal Practice‘s Crystal the Monkey is still under contract with the network — but within a half hour of the Season 4 premiere, Shakira and fellow neophyte Usher (a fine sub himself) had already exhibited enough seamless/jaunty chemistry with returning panelists Adam Levine and Blake that no gimmicks were necessary. (*And by “one,” I mean “me,” obvs.)

Plus, with one auditioner delivering a ferocious/jazzy twist on Xtina’s “What a Girl Wants” that had Adam predicting she’d become “a Grammy-winning superstar” (and not merely the Season 4 champ), I couldn’t help but wonder if NBC was sending a subtle reprimand to Xtina for three seasons of “look at me!” shenanigans and frequent shank-eye at any contestants who weren’t members of her team. (Viva Amanda Brown!)

But enough of me standing over the superstar coaches and pointing my index finger over their heads! Let’s talk about the very solid group of auditioners from the Season 4 premiere who advanced to the Battle Rounds, or to put it another way, the initial eight of the 48 singers (down from a whopping 64 last year) who’ll be members of one of the mentors’ 12-member Season 4 rosters. I’ve ranked ‘em in order from least- to most-promising, and tried my best to keep my reviews down to a Twitter-esque 140 characters or less (key word being “tried“). Here we go…

8) Jess Kellner: Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love” (Team Usher) | Unique tone with “so much silk,” said Shakira, but her peculiar pronunciations (“but” = “boy’t”) and occasional pitch wobbles began to grate within 30 seconds.

7) Danielle Bradbery: Taylor Swift’s “Mean” (Team Blake) | Blake was right that her pitch was amazing, but her “Mean” cover sounded more like a talented girl singing along to the radio rather than a genuine artist ready for prime time. (Side note: Did we need the “I got teased about my crooked teeth” backstory? Not every hardship must be advertised, NBC!)

6) Kris Thomas: Whitney Houston’s “Saving All My Love for You” (Team Shakira) | Recovering alcoholic hit some tricky high notes right on the nose, but I suspect he only got one of the four judges to turn because his tone bordered on shrill for half the performance. Accuracy, alas, is only part of the battle.

5) The Morgan Twins: Alicia Keys’ “Fallin'” (Team Blake) | Tight, powerful harmonies, but a slight soul defecit and matching (form-fitting) dresses on two grown-ass lady twins freaked me out a little. Smart choice of Blake over Usher by these ladies, though: There’s no real R&B gusto here.

4) Mark Andrew: Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” (Team Shakira) | Needs to fix his tendency to let his voice drop off at the ends of phrases, but there was an appealing amount of soul in the bleat-y tone of this roofer who’s suffered a lot of loss in his young life.

3) Vedo: Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend” (Team Usher) | Stylishly dressed fella had me sobbing along with him when he spoke of his gravely ill mom. Still, it was his muscular rendition of a Bieber hit that made the lasting impression. With a little polish, Vedo could be radio-ready (and maybe not as whiny as The Bieb…uh-huh, I went there).

2) Christian Porter: LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It” (Team Blake) | Hard to judge handsome geek on pitch, since he took the melody of LMFAO’s dance-talk hit down a very peculiar road, but I appreciated the creativity and humor of it all — especially the “wiggle, wiggle, wiggle” verse. How did dude not pick Shakira, though?

1) Judith Hill: Christina Aguilera’s “What a Girl Wants” (Team Adam) | Obvs has a leg up on her rivals as Michael Jackson’s former duet partner, but I fell for her the minute she said it seemed “in poor taste” to capitalize on her performance at his memorial service to advance her career, and fell even harder when she delivered a TKO vocal on her audition. She gave “WAGW” an unexpected undertone of funk, and that leather fringe top was THE LOOK. I worry The Voice producers have begun hyping her as aggressively as Cassadee Pope — which is never fun to watch — but it’s not as though her initial vocal performance didn’t live up to the hyperbole, right?

Before I turn things over to you, a few additional thoughts:

* Would it be sacrilege to publicly declare I prefered Candice Glover’s Season 12 Idol cover of “Come Together” over The Voice coaches’ good but not 100 percent committed rendition that kicked off S4? Shakira’s harmonica was a nice surprise, though!

* Who else howled over Shakira going after Adam’s comment about Jess’ Adele influences before he’d even finished his thought — and before Jess had even decided which team to join? Also: Interesting that Jess didn’t choose the “She Wolf” singer, no? Maybe because Shakira pointed out her intermittent pitch problems?

* I actually liked Leah Lewis (the 15-year-old who was adopted from China and had an intriguing twist in her voice on “Blown Away”) more than 16-year-old Danielle, but the former got no turns while the latter got everyone to turn except Shakira. What’d I miss, folks?

* On a similar note, I’d have ranked James Irwin’s low-key cover of The Script’s “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved” among the night’s Top 4 or 5 auditions, but he got totally ignored. I wish the coaches would sometimes hop aboard the “less is more” bandwagon.

* Methinks Carson Daly may have oversold it a bit when he declared at the top of the show that “one of the biggest surprises in Voice history will shock our coaches.” I mean, come on, Kris Thomas’ voice was high, but even without the visual, the coaches had to know there was a 50 percent chance he was a dude, no?

* Christina Milian is back as social media correspondent.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of The Voice Season 4 premiere? Who was your favorite? Who got a spot on a coach’s team that left you scratching your head? Who got unfairly snubbed? Take our two polls below to grade the premiere and vote for your faves, then expand on your thoughts in the comments! And for all my reality TV recaps, interviews, news and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. snark1250 says:

Reblogged this on Liars and Crooks and commented:
    Love Shak, baby, Love Shak

• Lydia's Bones says:

I had a wonderful time tonight watching “The Voice”! I had a double order of eggplant parmesan delivered and then I cracked open a 40 oz. Schlitz Malt Liquor stove pipe and <> what a wild night it was! I’m Sexy And I Know It!

2. CJS says:

Can Usher & Shakira replace Cee-Lo and Xtina permanently…please?
    Seriously though, this was a very promising start to season 4 & I think it’s going to be a great season.
    My 3 favourites of the night were Judith, Mark, and Vedo.

• Sara says:

I hate to say I agree (because I love Cee lo) but I totally agree! Usher and Shakira just seem to be more into mentoring artists than Christina and Cee lo were.

• davej says:

Totally forgot that Shak and Ush were “subs”. I guess I failed to notice because I have gotten to the point where I just Fast Forward thought Xtina and C-Lo’s comments to the singers. CAn we make this change permanent, please?

Usher was so smooth as he talked to the contestants to pick him. It’s like he was trying to seduce them, but he didn’t come off as creepy or pervy the way C-Lo sometimes does.

And I was truly expecting to hate Shak because I thought she was just another diva, but I loved her. There was no underlying viciousness in her comments like I felt from Xtina. Their personalities are a nice contrast to Adam’s and Blake’s and it was a lot of fun.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah, no, Shakira isn’t diva at all. You def had a way off conception of her beforehand. She’s really cool.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Love the new judges. I will be sad to see them go…

• sophie says:

I for one miss Christina. Haters gonna hate but looking back on Christina’s comments, she would do more than just beg the contestants to be on her team. She gave constructive criticism that showed she knows about singing. And there’s no denying Christina has a killer voice while Shakira’s live singing is really not on a high level. Christina has her flaws but I think she’s very authentic unlike some other judges.

3. Laura says:

I seriously cannot stand Christina Milian. I mute my TV every time I see her. Despite that, it was a decent first episode. I am not really excited about anybody except for Judith.

• rwfblog says:

Christina does have an important role. Since the show is top-rated, it gets new and good commercials that are often interesting to watch. But when Christina comes on, you know it is time to get that glass of water .. or let it out.

• Ruby says:

I feel bad for her because she’s stuck in such a pointless roll on the show. And I hate that the trend is to read twitter comments on TV shows now. If I wanted to know what Twitter was saying, I’d BE ON TWITTER.

4. Sara says:

Christina and Cee lo who? I am LOVING the new judges!!!! There seems to be so much more constructive criticism happening and the show just seems lighter. I love Cee lo, but he is always “you so hot” instead of talking about ways artists can be better. I cannot wait to see how Shakira and Usher do in the mentoring sessions, but I get the feeling they will be amazing.

Boy, have I missed The Voice!

• Trent says:

I feel guilty about it, but I have to agree! I love Cee Lo (and Purrfect, and his bird, and the crazy outfits), but he does tend to leer at the pretty singers instead of giving useful advice. Usher gives better criticism, seems really engaged and laughed heartily at himself when he made the “Nashville is a state” remark. Shakira was just adorbs and far nicer to ALL the contestants than Xtina.

Overall, the chemistry between the judges was fantastic, I liked most of the singers (especially Judith), and the general vibe was just so upbeat and fun. So happy The Voice is back!

• Teeny Bikini says:

I am so impressed with Usher. I didn’t even know he could do anything but look hot. But he is charming, insightful and “knows” music. Color me happy. I love when the judges sound smart. And now he knows Nashville is not a state, so it’s a win/win ;)

• Teeny Bikini says:

The thing about CeeLo is for such a hip and current dude – his song choices for his team were ALWAYS terrible, outdated, and mostly ridiculous. It was like he didn’t want to win… I hope Usher does better. Also, CeeLo – though I love him – came off a bit too pervy with some of the girls. Go Usher!

5. steve says:

Can Blake and Adam bang and get it over with? I am so sick of Blake shouting across at Adam whenever Adam turns around. Very annoying.

6. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah I was a bit surprised they didn’t take Leah Lewis and it seemed almost like they might have had even more there to work with over the season than.
    Judith was phenom, damn Team Shakira (and Team Everyone not Blake) is already in a bit of a trouble. Definitely pretty far up the rung of pre-show experience though hah.
    Morgan twins were a lot better than I expected. I expected bad or at least annoying, but they were genuinely good and interesting.

7. Dan says:

Am I a horrible person for rolling my eyes every time somebody said my daughters died, I had no friends, and my mom is an alcoholic? I am starting to feel that in the form people need to fill out to audition, there is a box where they need to write a sob story. I want to vote because of their talent, not because of pity.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah that was the one thing that was bad. They were almost getting into full on X-Factor territory. I wish they’d not.

• kavyn says:

The Voice has always been bad on the sob stories, but this episode felt like everyone HAD to have something, aside from the twins (I think). It was especially obnoxious this ep.

• Lori says:

Yeah the one who had “crooked teeth” was ridiculous. Can’t anyone sing because they want to sing? Do they have to have something “tragic” happen to them in order to want to sing?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

And look at the x-factor and decently average country singer wins over the girl with less than zero sob story. Maybe if Carly quit her job and had starving kids she’d have had a prayer.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Same for 5th. Not that the sob stories helped Beatrice any although hers was a bit different.

• TaMara says:

Well if you’re horrible, so am I. Because not only do I wish they’d eliminate it from the Voice, but from the Olympics and every other competition. Talent is what I like to see.

• B. says:

LOOOVED IT!! So much fun to watch the new guys seriously!

• Yo says:

I call it disaster pimping. It no longer serves the contestants; it just makes the audience squirm and feel guilty. I particularly do not want to see a dying relative on television; it takes advantage of both the relative and the viewer.

• GMom says:

I definitely agree! You can say the same about Idol. I know a successful singer who could not get past the initial audition on Idol because he didn’t have a good “backstory”!! I guess I’m heartless because I don’t care about their sob story (well, maybe a little, but not to the extent it takes 10 minutes or more to tell!!)!

• pylgrym says:

FF through and am so tired of watching grown men bawl. That whole “sensitive” thing is getting on my last nerve.

• Trent says:

Yes, because God forbid a 19-year-old man cry because his mom has stage-4 terminal cancer. He’s just too “sensitive”…

• The Beach says:

I always dvr The Voice, AI, etc. I zipped through all the sob stories (don’t know, don’t care) and commercials and went straight to the singing and judges. I think that cut the show down to just under an hour.

• I’m right there with you. I couldn’t tell you what each person’s sob story was, as I hit fast forward through them. I would have liked to see more performances that could have fit into the time that was used to air the back story.

• Ruby says:

I agree so hard. I mean, I feel bad for them, but EVERYONE has some sort of struggle, and I don’t want to be swayed by that. They should be judged for their voice and nothing more.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Nope. I think we feel all feel a bit manipulated by it, but the dead twin story got to me. It ticked me off that they didn’t pick that guy after exposing such a painful detail of his life – and after making me sit through it. Not cool, producers.

• Pearl says:

The only motive i forgive The Voice for it’s sobby stories is that they won’t automatically pass someone just because he/she has the sobbest story of all. Thats my favorite part!

• Lotus says:

But I prefer sob stories to making fun of bad singers like AI (especially ones that are obviously mentally ill). I stopped watching it awhile ago because it just left a bad taste in my mouth. So I take this over the other choice any day.

8. girlinmd says:

I have skipped the last two seasons because of Christina couldn’t stand her but already loving Shakira and Usher great singers tonight loved Judith was surprised no one turned around for Leah but I have a feeling she will be back next season

9. Alex says:

Based on music and personality, I’m generally Team Adam when it comes to the coaches; however, Danielle Bradbury and Christian Porter were my favorites of the night.

• Alex says:

Also, while James’ backstory was heartbreaking, I didn’t feel like he connected well with the song, and he missed a few notes. I agree on Jess’ odd inflections and Kris’ shrillness, and while I liked Leah too, I preferred Danielle’s tone (and I don’t even like country music really) – plus she’s cute and likeable, which the judges didn’t find out until after they turned around.

10. Gem says:

I was glad no one turned around for James Erwin. He had an ok voice but he had barely any range and his voice didn’t have any uniqueness to it.

11. Kelly says:

So far l am loving this season and all four judges.

12. HitTheGroundRunning says:

good episode, nice start

13. Kelly says:

I agree about Leah Lewis. I’m surprised no one turned around for her.

• Athena says:

It’s probably because her voice sounded sooo young. Turns out she is young. The Voice singing battles require a resolute, unique, and definitive voice talent. Tough for young high schoolers and the coaches know that.

14. kavyn says:

Shakira is SO much better than Christina, but I seriously hated Usher. This episode was just horrible. The last performer was very talented but everyone else was just plain boring. Also for real, everyone had a sob story. Pretty sure “The Voice” is meant to represent the storytelling and not the actual talent level of the contestants.

I’ll probably be watching the auditions on the YT channel until the Top 12 are revealed.

• LIZ says:

The Voice is about talent, not about the story. Of course they are going to spotlight some of the contestants that have a compelling story, but look at Danielle who was teased for crooked teeth. They obviously don’t put a lot of weight on the story. The talent on the show is through the roof. Trust me, it’s about THE VOICE.

• Marko says:

A singing show called The Voice = 60% about the judges + 30% sob stories + 10% singing

15. lori says:

Like the new judges but miss CeeLo’s quirkiness and fun.

16. C says:

Really liked it! I never watch The Voice, but I thought I would tune in because Shakira is so ridiculously talented. And I really loved the entire show and how the judges interacted. Really good. Do the episodes go up on Hulu?

17. Rick says:

Seems like Blake is getting whoever he wants, probably cause he just won last season with Cassadee.

• Billy says:

They didn’t know who won last season during the audition round…they filmed the end of season 3 and the beginning of 4 at the same time…

• Nellie C. says:

This is not true. Shakira gave birth in January, and she’s clearly not eight months pregnant during the blind auditions! Auditions (not blinds, but the step before that) began in January, so yes, every contestant knows who won the third cycle.

• Felicity in Portland says:

Actually, they filmed the audition rounds for 3 and 4 at the same time which would have been last summer – – August or September so she would have only been 4-5 months along at that time.

18. mm says:

How has no one — most notably Slezak — commented on the fact that Porter stole the LMFAO arrangement from a kid named Noah? Obviously everyone is singing covers, but to take a completely original arrangement and pass it off as your own was more than a little disingenuous. (See original here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvlsuLau5c)

19. Deb K says:

Christian Porter did a fantastic job on Sexy And I Know It, but that version will always belong to Noah. YouTube, the best friend of reality show rearrangers since AI Season 7 lol.

20. Rachel says:

I hate to say this but the voice already has out won me from AI. Im getting bored with the contestants singing ballads all the time on that show. Its refreshing to see ALL different types of music of the voice. If it wasn’t for Candice on AI I would stop watching all together. SO happy the Voice is back and Im really digging Usher and Shakira as judges. I think its the first time on a show I like all the judges as a whole.

21. Coryrox says:

“Grown ass lady twins” Bahahahahahhaha! Love it! Overall, it was a
    Great start to season 4.

22. Juan says:

I love shakira!!!!! She is increadible and funny, also laughed really hard at te Nashville incident lol the talent was just ok I thought

23. Watherly says:

I knew Michael S. would love Judith Hill — he loves that over the top caterwauling style. Seriously. I think she can sing, but that wasn’t it. Now in fairness, it may be the world’s worst song, so there’s that.

24. Betsy says:

Sleazy you’re awesome for posting the night of the show for people who don’t want to wait until the next day to talk about it. Love. You.

25. allie says:

Every single one of these contestants are better than the folks on AI. Kree and Candice come close but it will be interesting to see what happens to the already falling AI ratings. I, for one, have watched my last AI show for the season. So happy The Voice is back!

26. MB says:

I totally enjoyed this episode and really like the new judges. One reason I had a problem with the Voice is Christina. I won’t mind if she doesn’t come back. I thought the talent was also really good also. The one thing the Voice needs to do I’ds produce a Super Star. The need to do more in promoting their winners. Once that happens I truly believe it will be the nail in Idol’s coffin. Creating stars is what idol has over The Voice but since they changed some of the format last year I really enjoy the show more.

• Toni says:

Agreed re producing superstars. They’ve had fantastic winners never to be heard of again until the show give us an update. Unless one follows their career they’re not being promoted as they should.

• teatime says:

They do not have to produce a super star. Or even a huge star. They need to have an entertaining show. They need to have contestants who can make a career in the music industry so talented performers will continue to audition.

• teatime says:

I love Kelly and Carrie. They are awesome. But they could have sold a fraction of what they have sold and they would still have impressive careers. They would still be entertainers whose music I would listen to. These shows do not need to have someone sell 10-20 million albums. They need to have an entertaining show which includes entertaining contestants that people want to vote for and that viewers want to listen to. They do need to have contestants who have music careers after the show or else they will have trouble attracting original contestants in future seasons.

27. JW says:

FINALLY! A relevant music talent show is back!

• Rami says:

So relevant that the last 3 winners have done so amazing in the charts… oh wait ;-)

• waterbug says:

hahaha!

• JR says:

Season 3 just ended 3 months ago and most people need more than 6 months to create an album (sometimes even more), so I think your comment should only refer the winners from seasons 1 and 2.

• Ramification says:

Ok fair enough but my point is until a winner or even a former contestant gets to be a relevant artist (ie have a hit top 10 album or single) the Voice cannot be viewed as relevant in my opinion. I switched off halfway through this weeks episode because I kept thinking these singers will fall into obscurity after the show so what’s the point. Not all AI contestants have been successful post show but I know at least some of them have (including the most recent winner) and that is a narrative that I need in order to care about a singing competition

• JR says:

Fair enough. I watch The Voice mostly because of its entertainment factor and this season I will definitely watch it since I’m actually liking the judges and the contestants don’t feel the need to sing ballads in order to show their vocal abilities. It’s a refreshing show, at least in my opinion.

28. Toni says:

Ok so basically agreed with evertything you said. Love the new coaches and most def do not miss christina and ceelo. Smart move. I love the rapport between the coaches now as it seemed more genuine. Sorry for my laziness of not simply scrolling up to chec names but the only name I remember is Judith – awesome. Guy who lost the twins should have been picked. The girl with the weird pronounciations and Adele like sound was just ok to me. Loved the sexy and u know it rendition. Twins were good. Basically loved the show.

29. Dan says:

Geez, too much sob stories. But it’s still really fun and the new coaches are a big improvement.

• Toni says:

Unfortunately thats what the producers do. The folks with the story that will pull on heartstrings gets featured. This season they’re really transparent about it like AI but I think they are trying to make the contestants more relatable.

30. Becca Knight says:

I LOVED Shakria, but it’s so weird…the girls on American Idol this season are just so freaking good and I think I was becoming complacent. Also, is it bad that I find Mariah and Nicki more entertaining? I mean, The Voice is cute, but American Idol this season has made me pissed, enthralled, etc. I do have to say, though, I wish Blake or Adam was on American Idol instead of Randy.

• JW says:

As far as entertainment goes, AI is terrible this year. I’ve only seen short segments, and have followed Sleazak’s analysis. Basically the same songs over and over and over. Ballads, ballads, ballads. 3 of the AI judges are doing a good to great job, but the personality, energy and interaction between the judges on The Voice is far more entertaining. The only time AI compares is when Nicki throws Randy the side-eye. As for the talent….AI purposefully chose middling guys, intentionally decided that half their show would be lousy on any given night. That’s nuts. The Voice rocks.

• asherlev1 says:

Seriously. I love how it’s just accepted that they shot themselves in the foot when it came to the guys. Sad. That does not a good show make.

31. Boston2AZ says:

For me, I’d rather these contestants have a more “amateur” feel to them. I know that they’re professionals or semi-professionals, but c’mon – a woman who was doing duets with Michael Jackson AND performed at his memorial? Really?

• Jana Wells says:

I was looking for this comment. She was great but the judges thought she was just off the street, they didn’t know she had sang w/ Michael. I think it will hurt her during the voting that she was not a newbie and Adam got her on his team, not knowing the whole story. I think she will go far in the music business she is just not new!

• Dan says:

Cassadee Pope won and one of her songs with a famous band, Hey Monday, was covered by Glee, so I don’t think it will hurt Judith.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Perhaps, but being picked out by MJ is a helluva lot of a bigger deal than Hey Monday. And people went nuts over the Hey Monday thing as it was. But then again, as you say, it sure didn’t seem to hurt her any that said.

• Sara says:

That is the beauty of The Voice, as opposed to American Idol: the fact that it gives artists who have possibly had previous record deals (Cassadee Pope, and her band), or toured with big acts (Amanda Brown and now Judith), or were stars of a hitmaking show in the 90’s (Tony Lucca), or heck even on American Idol (Frenchie and now apparently one of the guys from the duo on tonight’s ep) these great second or third chances. Personally, I commend Judith for choosing not to take advantage of Michael’s death for her own personal gain. It shows character.

• Jade says:

I understand your sentiment but I have to disagree. What I love about “The Voice” is that it gives professional artists who perhaps haven’t had a great deal of commercial success a chance to show the world their talent. I like that this show isn’t afraid to reward hard work. I would rather see someone who has gone out, worked hard, and paid their dues be given a chance, versus a total amateur who has not put in the time yet. I think shows like ‘The Voice’ and ‘American Idol’ showcase two different conceptions of the American Dream: with ‘The Voice’ we have the idea that with a lot of hard work and a little luck and help along the way, we can have the dream. With ‘American Idol’ we have the idea that with a lot of luck and help, and a much less amount of work, we can get what we want. Maybe both conceptions are legitimate, but I much prefer the idea that hard work can lead to success. To me it seems more historically American.

32. Dan says:

Leah Lewis is adorable. I hope she comes back.

33. dj says:

I liked Danielle, but she had some pitch problems. I think she was just nervous.

34. Timmah says:

This show is so much more fun than Idol. It’s yet to be seen how the talent will stack up, but I’m optimistic about that too.

35. Chicago Dan says:

I thought “Fallin'” and “Saving All My Love For You” had been permanently banned from singing competitions. C’mon.

36. dj says:

I loved Judith Hill.

37. sugarcube4u says:

Well done for the new judges! Thank you nbc for a great show!

38. LIZ says:

Loved Leah Lewis. They should have turned a chair for her.

39. Lois Benton says:

I was so moved by Leah Lewis and her lovely family that I wanted her to win the whole shebang right then and there. But then her voice wasn’t quite cooked. She needs to mature more. What you’re missing is that right now, Danielle has the better voice. But I still don’t think Danielle is fully cooked either. Most of those who went through were better than her.

40. Jen says:

I thought The Voice was far more entertaining than any of the Idol shows so far this year. I love Shakira…..please make her a permanent replacement for Xtina. All the judges are so kind and encouraging. unlike Idol where they seem delight in tearing down the talent. So so sick of the sad backstories though ….does one have to have a tragedy in their life to get on the show?? Only those that have had a horrible personal struggle can sing? Surely that can’t be true. How refreshing would it be if one of them said, “I had a perfectly normal childhood” but I guess that’s not interesting enough. I think it is hilarious that when they are trying to woo a contestant the judges tell them, “you will win The Voice with me as your coach!’, then they say that to the next person too. Hah.

41. asherlev1 says:

Leah was adorable and lovely, but now she can come back! Danielle did have a stronger voice. Plus there’s the whole balancing act to consider of not loading up with too many country singers. Blake wants them, sure, but he doesn’t want to jump before he looks, so to speak.

42. Boiler says:

and does anyone remember who won the earlier seasons AND if they are doing anything relevant. The last true superstar to come out of these shows was Carrie Underwood!! If you are watching for the judges time is being wasted. Watch a good scripted show before thay are gone

• teatime says:

If the only reason YOU are watching is to see a superstar created every year, then you should not watch. You should watch some scripted show where you don’t require someone you are watching becomes an overnight superstar in order for it it be worth your time.

• Boiler says:

Exactly what I am doing!!!! Wish more people would

• Boiler says:

Also it is sorta what all these shows promise

• teatime says:

The show can’t make someone a ‘superstar.’ If they could, then all the regular old ‘stars’ out there would be lobbying to get on the show as a sure way to become a ‘superstar.’ These shows put you on national TV. You perform for millions of people. Many contestants every season perform many times, over the course of weeks and months. They are interviewed by TV shows and DJs. Many contestants end up touring after the season. Several of them get a record deal and put out an album or more. Many of them have at least one song that is at least a modest hit and gets radio play.
            The thing is, a LOT of the contestants are hard working performers/musicians/songwriters. They see these shows as a way to advance their careers, and they do advance their careers be being on these shows. Yes, the producers love the “instant star” dream and story line, so that is out there. But I as a viewer don’t need for that to happen and I think a large percentage of the finalists also understand that this is a great opportunity but nothing is guaranteed.

43. Eric says:

SHAKIRA, SHAKIRA, SHAKIRA!!!! Christina who??? What a deliight of fresh air, to have a coach/mentor that is not just there for themselves. Make Shakira a permanent coach/mentor and kick Christina and her overpayed diva attitude to the curb!!!

• MediaDiva says:

AMEN!!!! We can only hope that they keep the new lineup and let Christina fade into the rearview mirror as we move on with a GREAT panel! I love Keith Urban on AI, but the rest of the judges are painful to endure and the talent, well what talent they eliminated them all before America got a chance so that Nigel and crew could guarantee a female winner….great plan! Give me more Voice and full speed ahead with the new judges!

44. Pat Lima says:

I love the new cast of THE VOICE……they did a terrific job…..the whole team seems to be a great matach……love it. Unlike American Idol whose team seems to be totally screwed up, can’t stand the two female additions to that show……..they act and speak like they are stupid. The guys are great on that show.

45. Yo says:

We all fell in love with Judith Miller when she thought taking advantage of Mj’s demise was in “poor taste.” I was ready to vote for her then.

• Wendy Dalgetty says:

Judith “Hill”…… Could not agree more – the fact that she basically put her career on hold after we lost Michael (she did do an amazing tribute song to him “I Will Always Be Missing You”). I was so happy she chose to work with Adam Levine and this is definitely her “Time To Shine” – Michael would be so proud of her. Find it hard to believe that Usher (if he really loved Michael as much as he said) did not know who Judith Hill was – did he never watch “This Is It”. Judith was amazing with Michael….Good Luck to her and God Bless her. Hope she takes it all. Proud of her for waiting for “her time”… <3

• Ademm says:

How are you proud of her? Did you have anything to do with it? And for someone who didn’t want to take advantage of MJ she sure brought his name up pretty fast.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

If she/the show didn;t bring it up then you’d be going crazy about how she/the show tried to hide it.

46. mgt49 says:

Everyone look at Leah Lewis singing Patsy Cline’s “Crazy” on Youtube. Those judges made a huge mistake!

47. Mellie says:

I’m not sure what you were listening to with Man Who Can’t Be Moved, but that dude’s pitch was all over the place and he completely wiped out on the high “I’m not moooviiiiin” either because he just can’t get the note (felt like it, he should have picked a better song for him (for me d: )) or he couldn’t choose between ‘belt it’ or ‘falsetto’ so he just floundered in between both, causing him to miss the ‘moment’ of the song. Some of his low notes disappeared, too. I don’t blame the judges at aaaaall for not turning around. Dude -can- sing, but he needs to pick songs that fit perfectly in his voice for a blind audition.

48. gabby says:

Can we just keep Usher and Shakira please? So much better than Cee lo and Christina!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Cee Lo was pretty funny though and he actually did pick most of the best contestants of each season even if he never one (don’t forget that even Amanda Brown was only even on the show at all because of him!).

49. Rob says:

So Michael … Can we get a Reality Check type deal here where we get you and Melinda discussing The Voice like you did last season? Honestly, Idology once a week isn’t enough of you and Melinda discussing these shows. Having 2 recap shows with you and Melinda a week would make me awfully happy! :)

50. Anna says:

Loved Judith. Hope she doesn’t suffer the same fate that Amanda Brown ended up with last season.

Christian Porter was cool, but that wasn’t his own arrangement…he took it from another artist named Noah, who posted his cover on YT almost one year ago (the YT has more than 16 million hits): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvlsuLau5c&feature=share&list=UU10EcWjwbU79-6dc4WO-bDQ

Would have been nice if Christian had acknowledged that it wasn’t his own arrangement.

I also liked Vedo.

Love the chemistry between the judges. Usher & Shakira have fit in with no trouble.

I would like the show to stop with the sob stories. They tried to pass off that one girl having crooked teeth as a sob story. Seriously????