The Following's Nico Tortorella Previews a New (and Improved?) Jacob: 'He's Out for Revenge'

Get More: Interviews, Previews

The Following Season 1 SpoilersFans of The Following eager to see a killer new side to reluctant acolyte Jacob need look no further than tonight’s episode (Fox, 9/8c).

Shares Nico Tortorella of his altered alter ego, “It’s like I got to play two completely different characters this season.”

Here, the actor further details the tumultuous road ahead for his newbie murderer, how his untrustworthy love Emma’s tryst with Joe will recalibrate their journey and much more.

TVLINE | What sort of impact does killing Paul ultimately have on Jacob?
Of the two people he’s loved more than anybody in the world, one of them is dead now and the other one stabbed him in the back and let him fend for himself…. So, there’s definitely a full 180 that’s about to happen for Jacob.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

TVLINE | Were you always anticipating that change in your character? Or was it a surprising shift for you?
I had an idea that something was going to happen, but I didn’t know to what extent until I read this script. It’s the best thing that could happen to an actor on any TV show. It’s literally like I get to play two completely different characters this season.

TVLINE | Talk a little about the new dynamic between Jacob and Emma. I can’t imagine he’s just going to welcome her back into his life with open arms.
He’s not just going to show up and give her the cold shoulder; he wants her to know exactly what he’s gone through. They’ve been best friends and lovers for the past five, six years — but he wants to just rip her apart at this point… It’s bizarre [because] now Joe’s involved; it’s not just us three anymore. We’re now living in the mansion with everybody else, so we can’t be selfish.

VIDEO | Watch The Following‘s Jacob and Emma Have a Painfully Awkward Reunion

TVLINE | With Emma and Joe’s hookup sort of hanging over everyone’s heads, I imagine we’ll see that unravel a bit as well?
Yeah, but to the same point, I don’t feel that [an Emma/Joe hookup] happening was ever something that was too far-fetched in Jacob’s head. Joe is No. 1 for everybody, and I don’t feel that Jacob really differentiates sex and love; it is what it is. But she f—ed him over [in other ways] and he’s out for revenge, whatever that might mean.

TVLINE | So, that revelation won’t impact Jacob’s devotion to Joe?
Oh, no no no. He’s not going to look at Joe any other way. Joe also realizes the emotional journey that Jacob’s been on, so it’s all about love. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Will there be any exploration of a Roderick/Jacob dynamic now that your character’s back in the fold?
Jacob recognizes that Roderick is second-in-command and he understands the hierarchy. At the same time, they’re two strong-willed men that are devotees, so there’s bound to be tension.

TVLINE | Give us your best tease for the rest of the season.
Always expect the unexpected. We’ve seen some crazy s–t go down, but at the same time, it’s just the tip of the iceberg. None of that compares to what’s about to happen.

Comments (9)

• What I would like to see as a twist is for one (or more) of Joe’s followers to actually secretly turn on him and give info to the police. Surely *someone* would find the strength to get past his charisma!

Comment by MaryAnn – March 25, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still sad that Paul’s gone. I thought the Paul/Jacob/Emma triangle would go on longer.

Comment by Mikael – March 25, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paul was a great character played by a pretty decent actor. They could’ve gotten so much more mileage out of the Paul/Jacob/Emma triangle too! I would’ve taken the route of Jacob THINKING that he’s killed Paul, but Jacob’s father arrived home and finds that Paul is still alive, and he saves him. This way, Jacob could still go on to become a changed person because he believes that he’s already killed Paul. Would’ve been a great addition to the season finale to have Paul showing up alive and well.

Comment by Carlton – March 25, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, please! :3

Comment by Max – March 25, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What happened to Paul’s body?? Jacob & Paul were at the home of Jacob’s Mom, Daddy was arriving in 5 minutes. Not much time to drag a body out of the house.

Comment by Sandy – April 7, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I don’t only expect some kind of “power struggle” between Jacob and Roderick, but also between Joe and Roderick at some point… I mean, Roderick was in charge for like 5 years now, and to just let Joe have that all now? I don’t see that… I think there WILL be some kind of twist and I could totally see Roderick turn on Joe at some point and Jacob taking his side while Emma takes joe’s, but who knows? Can’t wait for tonight!

Comment by Katrin – March 25, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definately saw that in Rodrick. He is devoted to Joe but you can see the beginings of the frustration of letting go the strings of authority and getting berrated for mistakes made.

Comment by Lana – March 25, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see this storyline play out. This show is amazing! Not the least bit predictable. I plan on aitting back & enjoying the ride!

Comment by Gillian – March 25, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m getting alittle annoyed with the show cuz ryan had so many close oppitunities to get joey and take down joe but the again…….THE FOLLOWERS are one step ahead of the FBI as for jacob and emma reuniting HAHAHA….. emma better watch her back he’s pissed……………..by the way the guy who plays jacob is HOT!

Comment by Ashley – March 25, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post