Pilot Scoop: Debra Messing Hits Mother's Lode, Joins CBS Comedy From Smash Producers

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

159301732TM00074_70th_AnnuaIn yet another sign that the curtain is unlikely to rise on a third season of Smash, Debra Messing has signed on to headline a CBS comedy pilot.

The untitled project — which, coincidentally (or not?), is being written by Smash co-exec producers Julie Rottenberg and Elisa Zuritsky — is an adaptation of the Israeli series Mother’s Day and centers on a married mom (Messing) struggling to balance family, life, and work.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

In addition to playing the lead role, Messing retains a co-exec producer credit.

Technically, the prospective series is in second position to Smash, but the odds of the struggling NBC musical returning next fall are slim at best.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

To wit, showrunner Josh Safran recently told TVLine that Season 2′s last episode has been “constructed as a series finale.”

Comments (40)

• Good for her. She’s a great comedic actor and she deserves a hit. I’m rooting for you, Debra Messing!

Comment by Rob – March 25, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I hope it gets picked up. She is such a great comedic talent, and she’s been severely wasted on Julia’s drippy storylines.

Comment by Will – March 25, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slim at best? Man, you are being KIND. :-)

Comment by KenBud – March 25, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Debra Messing!!! I’ll follow here anywhere!!! Will and Grace, The Starter Wife, SMASH, if Debra Messing’s in it, I’m watching it!!!

Comment by Eric – March 25, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.

Comment by Will – March 25, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was about ready to write something, but you wrote what I was thinking almost word-for-word… great minds think alike. ;) I’d follow Debra anywhere. I knew that as soon as Smash wrapped up, Debra would land on her feet. Will see her soon on the screen – we all love you Debra!

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 25, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love Smash…but considering the taste of the American people, I am not surprised that it will be cancelled…It has wonderful music, huge talents and intelligent dialogue..why would the masses like it…too bad..

Comment by John Roland (@JohnRol73201810) – March 27, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be sad to see Smash cancelled. My friends and i really enjoy this show. How can a well written well acted interesting family show get cancelled and leave some really awful programs on?

Comment by Terry – March 25, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because it’s horribly written. And it is not a family show. By any means. What show are you watching?

Comment by Rob – March 25, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Family show?

Comment by klim – March 25, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they dont cancel SMASH I think its a really great show!

Comment by Katherine – March 25, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Smash”!! Anyone who doesn’t like it has no appreciation for good music.

Comment by Mary Turner – March 25, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And anyone who does like it has no taste and no appreciation for well written, directer, told, acted shows.

Comment by David4 – March 25, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, David4 that’s is some tastelsess response.

Comment by Tania – March 25, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is accurate response.

Comment by SylwekG – March 26, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you, Tania.

Comment by Mary Turner – March 27, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her, but hate Smash, but I also hate everything that airs on CBS. Hope this changes that.

Comment by David4 – March 25, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a 0% chance of Smash being renewed. Period.

Comment by Mark – March 25, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again, NBC screws up yet another show by destroying its momentum. Delay the premiere until midseason, switch the night — hey, the viewers will stay with us. No, you idiots — they won’t.

Comment by Kathy – March 25, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was never upwards momentum!

If you like a show fine, but this show was a failure from the start. The pilot sucked, everyone knew it and instead of being the new hit show, it fizzled. I was amazed it got a second season, the ratings were falling the whole time the show has been on the air.

Comment by David4 – March 25, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was born to do comedy.

Comment by Pepper – March 25, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Debra Messing, and Elisa Zuritsky may be one of the two or three most dynamic writer-producers in TV today. VERY excited!

Comment by Dan – March 25, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Debra Messing’s forte is in comedy, so good for her. As for Smash, as the Reverend Slick would say in the WWF – “Turn out the lights, the party’s over!”

(Hope Katherine McPhee and Megan Hilty get back onscreen, though.)

Comment by Steve F. – March 25, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Lilacbarries – March 25, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been enjoying Smash, but I’ll it has been the only show on NBC I’ve watched in years. It will be good to see Debra in a comedy again and CBS comedies are the best. With HIMYM going into its last season they’ll be looking for something to fill its shoes

Comment by Lilacbarries – March 25, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The good thing about CBS is they give their comedies a chance and it’s very rare CBS cancel a comedy after the first season, so hopefully this could be the next big comedy show for Debra Messing since Will And Grace.

Comment by Scott – March 25, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tell that to Partners.

Comment by ChrisGa – March 25, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or S**t my Dad Says!

Comment by Jay – March 26, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Megan Hilty would be great as a new teacher on Glee – I really enjoying hearing her sing.

Comment by ceebee – March 25, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch nothing on CBS except an occasional Hawaii 5-0 rerun but Debra Messing will be must see TV. I also love Smash, uneven writing writing, and some bad character development and all. BTW, if you have a chance to rewatch the first couple of seasons of L&O SVU you will find it was also awful until it got its footing. But in those days, NBC gave shows with great potential a chance. That’s all changed in the last 10 years. The Book of Daniel and Awake were two potentially awesome series that NBC through under the bus. If a show is targeted to an audience with an IQ higher than Donald Trump’s it doesn’t stand a chance. Shame on them. As for Debra Messing – it’s NBC’s loss.

Comment by Linderella – March 25, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish Smash would not be cancelled but happy that Debra has found something else. Hopefully the others will as well.

Comment by Loz – March 25, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for her! She,Anjelica and Megan deserve much more than a show that diminishes their parts each week just to shove emotionless Mcphee down our throats.

Comment by Ria Kostopoulou – March 26, 2013 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • debra’s character was wasted and horrific story line last year. only saving grace for show was karen’s cover songs and this year they stopped that, so lost interest and I love musicals. have couple dvred but havn’t been excited to watch as this season with all the new characters and getting rid of all the terrible ones hasn’t improved enough and seeing bad ratings, matter of time till they don’t renew. Shame as it is the ONLY show worth watching on nbc anymore. what a terribly run network. have no idea of what a good show is.

Comment by keith – March 26, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always seemed to like parenthood better then smash I watched smash but usually fell asleep during the first 1/2 hour of it.

Comment by Lisa – March 26, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The premise of Smash was always just a one-note song. Only reason it made it to a second season is that NBC had invested so much $$$$ in it.

Comment by Bob – March 26, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the premise of this pilot seems boring.

Comment by ABC – March 26, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Debra is only capable of 1 character, Debra. All her characters in every show are the same.

Comment by Jeri – March 27, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps, but what a terrific character that is. She should bottle whatever that magic is and hand it out to everyone else; they’d love to have what she has. Some people just have that charisma, that magic – the television camera just loves them. That’s Debra.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 28, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Israeli version is really good, hope CBS won’t ruin it…

Comment by Crox – March 28, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent. I adore Debra Messing and look forward to this project with her the star in it!

Comment by Valesca Salgado – September 21, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post