Walking Dead Recap: Sympathy for the Devil

Get More: Recaps

The Walking Dead Season 3 Merle DiesIn this week’s The Walking Dead, it isn’t exactly a shock when Merle takes it upon himself to execute Rick’s “agreement” with the Governor by delivering him Michonne. What is a shock, however, is that, by the end of the episode, we actually feel (almost, kinda-sorta) sorry for the bastard. Here’s how it all plays out.

DEBATE CLUB | As the hour kicks off, Rick informs Daryl and Merle of the Governor’s offer. Daryl, natch, is wholeheartedly against handing over Michonne. “It just ain’t us,” he argues. Even Merle is taken aback that Rick would consider it, much less go through with it. “You’re cold as ice, Officer Friendly,” he cracks. But, of course, Rick isn’t cold, much less ice cold, and, after seeing a vision of Lori, he decides, “I can’t. I won’t.” Well, duh!

PHOTOS | TV’s 15 Most Empowering Female Characters

FOR BETTER OR WORSE | Meanwhile, Carol suggests to Merle that maybe, like her, he’s a “late bloomer.” And maybe, in some twisted way, he actually is, because, realizing that Rick could never give the Governor Michonne, he kidnaps her himself. That, in his mind, can, should be and is his role in the group – to do the dirty work so that everyone else’s consciences (and hands) can remain clean. But, before Merle and his hostage reach Woodbury, Michonne manages to get in his head, so much so that – whaaat?! – he sets her free.

TILL DEATH DOES THEM PART | Back at the prison, while Daryl sets off after Merle and Michonne, Glenn asks Hershel for Maggie’s hand in marriage. Once he’s gotten his future father-in-law’s blessing, he steals an engagement ring off a walker’s finger (and, technically, steals the finger, too) and presents it to Maggie. The ring, that is. By then, the finger is (thankfully) gone. So, as you’d hope, she happily agrees to tie the knot.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED | Now on a suicide mission to eliminate the Governor, Merle leads a pack of walkers to the outskirts of Woodbury, then, in the ensuing shootout, discreetly guns down as many of the pistol-packing townsfolk as he can. (Good scheme!) Only after the redneck has accidentally killed Ben instead of his intended victim (oops) is he caught. And what an ugly scene that is. The Governor doesn’t just open a can of whoop-ass on Merle; before putting a bullet in his former henchman, he goes so far as to bite off a coupla his fingers! (Yikes!) By the time Daryl arrives on the scene, a zombified Merle is eating what’s left of Ben. So, horrifically, Daryl is forced to stab out the brains of his own brother.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Now that Rick has confessed to everyone about the Governor’s offer – and what he almost did about it – do you think his new plan (everybody gets a vote) will work? Sound off below!

Comments (126)

• AWWW I never EVER thought I’d like Merle Dixon but those last few things he did, he kinda redeemed himself (at least in my eyes) plus nobody makes Daryl Dixon cry NOBODY :(

Comment by Emily – March 24, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cried for Daryl- and I am not a cryer…at all. Reedus ripped my heart out in that scene. He’s such a great actor- I’m so happy he’s finally getting the credit he deserves. He’s consistently delivered Emmy quality performances throughout this series.

Comment by CdnSarah – March 24, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Epic. The Good vs Evil theme transcends every layer of the show.

Comment by Carl – March 25, 2013 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing will happen it will continue in season 4
      I think daryl will take it wrong he thinks that rick send his brother

Comment by clark – March 25, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What an incredible episode, I must admit I felt really bad for Merle and Daryl…I knew Merle despite of all his wrong doings still had a good side to him…now on the governor…that is one evil son of a bitch he’s as bad as they come great acting on his part too he’s so believable…now I hope he doesn’t lay a finger on Andrea I kind of have the hots for her…:)

Comment by Carlito – March 25, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know I thought Merle Dixon was a pile loop until what he did

Comment by brandon – March 28, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Governor is just a nasty old meany-head for deliberately leaving Merle to turn. Daryl ain’t gonna put up with that.

Comment by Mo – March 24, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was such an insult from the governor to do that, leaving him to turn.

Comment by liddad – March 25, 2013 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’M NOT THAT SURPRISED THAT MERLE DIED. HE KNEW THAT RICK COULDN’T GIVE UP MICH. HE DOESN’T HAVE THE BACK BONE TO DO IT. SO HE TOOK IT UPON HIMSELF CUZ HE’S DONE IT BEFORE. ALL THE BAD THINGS HE’S DONE ………AND TO KEEP THE PRISON GROUP AND DARYL SAFE…. HE SACRIFICED HIMSELF WEATHER HIS PLAN GOES WELL OR NOT OF COURSE. NORMAN REEDUS DID ONE HELL OF A JOB BRINGING OUT THAT EMOTIONAL SIDE OF DARYL I FELT BAD CUZ HE WAS HOPING THAT MERLE CAN REDEEM HIMSELF- WHICH HE DID.

I READ THAT THE FINALE COULD BE THE ”OPPOSITE ” OF THE SEASON 2 FINALE I DON’T KNOW THIS SPOILER ALERT IS TRUE…….BUT IF IT IS ……….I HOPE DARYL MAKES IT BACK IN TIME CUZ RICK N COMP. IS LEAVING THE PRISON. WHAT APPEARS TO BE IN THE PREVIEW OF THE LAST EP.

Comment by Ashley – March 25, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All along I thought Glenn should be the one to kill the Governor. Now it has to be Daryl. An arrow to the good eye!

Comment by J – March 24, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not a arrow to the knee instead?

Comment by M – March 24, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally I’m hoping for Maggie to be the one who kills him.

Comment by Lindsey – March 24, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree, pulling for Maggie, or anyone but Andrea, really. She had her chance and blew it.

Comment by Faster – March 25, 2013 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be Beth, just for lawlz.

Comment by Kevin – March 24, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally, that would be hilarious and totally badass since she hasnt even killed a walker onscreen yet. or maybe tyreese since he needs a good reason for the prison group to accept him once all hell breaks loose.

Comment by Alan – March 25, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andrea should kill him.

Comment by omar – March 25, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree, I think Andrea will be the one that gets him eventually.

Comment by KB – March 25, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think a zombie Andrea will take the Governor out.

Comment by Kim – March 28, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t be upset in the least if Daryl kills him, but I kinda think Milton is going to be the one to do it.

Comment by Rae – March 25, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree.

Comment by S. Holliwinkle – March 25, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I HATE GOVERNOR! I want that he get killed by Daryl hands and knife him like he did for merle ;(. that scene was the saddest ever in the walking dead

Comment by Daryl – March 26, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ughhh when daryl broke down in tears i had to cry someone need to kill the governor

Comment by Nicole – March 24, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and Andrea she got what she deservered

Comment by Nicole – March 24, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She wasn’t even in this episode…

No one DESERVES to be all alone, chained to a chair, to be tortured by some psycho.
      If you really think “she got what she deserved”, you’re just one sick b*st*rd. Congrats for showing the world what kind of freak you are.

Comment by Meghan – March 24, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly Andrea is awesome and doesn’t deserve that…

Comment by Carlito – March 25, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andrea’s not dead. She was in the preview for the finale. Doesn’t look too roughed up yet.

Comment by Ylanda – March 25, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure, because any woman who doesn’t realize her partner is a homicidal sociopath deserves to be tortured, raped, and god knows what else. You’re a monument to justice. Tie your tubes.

Comment by Meredith – March 25, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … now we have our very own Governor

Comment by Jessica Peterson – March 25, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who sings the song Merle plays in the car?

Comment by W – March 24, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty sure it was Motorhead

Comment by ljl – March 24, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was also some Ted Nugent too. :)

Comment by thefirstmrshummel – March 24, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sounded more like UFO to me.

Comment by bob – April 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Motorhead

Comment by Avenge Me – March 24, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fast and Loose by Motorhead is the first song he listens to. I don’t know what the others are.

Comment by Ben – April 13, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great idea Merle had. He redeemed himself

Comment by Robin F – March 24, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooh, the Gov has got to go! I can’t quite decide who I want to see take him down. Maggie? Andrea? Glenn? Michonne? Rick? Daryl? …hmmm For some reason I don’t think it will be Rick (too obvious) or Michonne (since she already did him some pretty good damage). Daryl or Maggie would be really satisfying.

Comment by Ali – March 24, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carl,
      He does all the dirty work.

Comment by CS Glo – March 25, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • he really does do all the work doesnt he, he always seems to be coming back from some off screen mission or other this season, seems like he has done more work to clear out the prison than anyone else.

Comment by Alan – March 25, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Daryl… I am here if he needs a shoulder to cry on…

Comment by Kat – March 24, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, really, really REEEALLY wish the season finale was two hours. I’m trying to imagine how they can make next week satisfying ENOUGH…… And here’s hoping next season brings a bigger core group.

Comment by Lilly – March 24, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cut down group has been great this season, we got to focus on the secondary characters a lot more than before, hershel would have never became as awesome as he has if there was a bigger group.

Comment by Alan – March 25, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best episode of the season! I laughed, I smiled, I cried! Redemption, thy name is Merle. RIP.

Comment by Singing gal – March 24, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, and Glenn cut off a good ring! :)

Comment by Singing gal – March 24, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Merle’s plot at the end, even though it doesn’t work out for him, was awesome. Why isn’t the prison group spending any time coming up with plots like this? So they put some barbed wire in a field and that’s enough? Why aren’t they working on booby-trapping that whole place? Maybe they are; I don’t know. It would be really cool to watch instead of just straight shooting at each other.

Also, now there are a bunch of people who have a reason to kill the governor: Michonne, Andrea, Daryl, Maggie, Glen…I feel though that it has to be someone who has to redeem him/herself. At this point, it’s either going to be Rick or Andrea. And if it’s not Rick, I really don’t see how he can continue to be any sort of leader, even in a democracy.

Comment by AGM – March 24, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dear AGM, I brought up this same subject a week ago. I said why didn’t Rick learn any things from Morgan, who had his little town booby trapped,with those spears,and the trap doors and things. I thought he’d would have been chopping down trees,and setting traps,to alert the group. Well maybe next week we’ll see some land mines and things. The prison group r not going down without a major fight. Can’t wait!!!

Comment by cookie – March 24, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Merle’s biggest mistake was to shoot at the governor’s men, hence giving himself away. He should have just waited for the governor to come out, aim, and voila!

Comment by Friopiliczniski – March 24, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya… I thought that too.
      He got a little trigger happy no doubt, but he still got 8 men… that’s going to make all the difference for Rick’s group in the finale.

Comment by Shane – March 24, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He had some cover from then sound of the “Woodbury Volunteered Militia’s” own gunfire, but as soon as he missed the Governor, and hit Ben, he was toast.

Comment by KenM – March 24, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it seemed like he wanted to take down anyone who could step into the void left by the governor as well so he didnt want anyone getting away while he was busy trying to find a shot at the gov

Comment by Alan – March 25, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All that sentimental crap with Glenn seems so out of context with the show. He’s my least favorite character!

Comment by Pshhh – March 24, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let me guess. You really love first-person shooters, right?

Comment by JC – March 25, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • glenn is the heart, he is what holds the ragtag group together, without glenn the group would have fractured long ago.
      anyway that “sentimental crap” as you so eloquently put it is called character development, without that why should we care if these people survive or not? that “sentimental crap” is why people come back each week.

Comment by Alan – March 25, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im a girl who hates violence and all of that but I can’t stand Glenn either. And I’m frequently astonished by how boring a show about the end of the world with zombies can be. At least this episode kind of got interesting again but the last 2 were trash. Hopefully the finale is decent.

Comment by Danielle H. – March 25, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be honest, I don’t think the end of the world with zombies would actually be all that exciting. I think you’d end up a lot like Morgan: booby-trapping yourself in after watching your loved ones die. You wouldn’t be killing zombies every day, you’d be hiding out and trying to move on with your life (alone or maybe with a group). So I think the show is very realistic. It’s not about “yeah, more zombie killing!” It’s about the human spirit and survival, how you go on when the odds are stacked against you.

Comment by KV – March 27, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m mad at Rick. I mean, he said himself the other episode that The Governor would probably kill them anyway. At first I was confused as to how Merle was listening to the radio, but then I figured it must just be a CD ,I guess, heh. I wish he waited until he saw The Governor, or at least Martinez, until he started shooting
    Norman Reedus is sooo great. Not sure how he is able to change his face like that (again) but wow!

Comment by Potato strong – March 24, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Rooker & Norman Reedus are just amazing. Joint performers of the week?

Comment by Crystal – March 24, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS X 1,000,000! If not, Norman Reedus and the Michael Rooker close second by an eyelash!

Comment by Ash – March 25, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody’s forgetting about Carl and Carl should be the 1 th and Carl should be the 1 that killed the governor that would be awesome

Comment by ks – March 24, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “everyone gets a vote” thing was a miserable fail at the farm when they were deciding what to do with their prisoner, that boy with the injured leg. I’m voting for some kind of board – pick three people to be the decision-makers so that if one is about to make a mistake, at least there are two others to balance it out. The trifecta of Rick, Hershel, and Daryl tonight seemed like a solid group that could serve that purpose.
    Great episode overall – not too sad to see Merle go, but Daryl’s reaction was really the kicker.

Comment by alexa – March 24, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMHO, maggie or carl killing the gov wouldn’t quite work. Maggie has vengeance, but not as much as Daryl or Glenn, etc., and I don’t see how she could actually kill the governor upfront, she’d have to shoot him from a distance. I want to see a fight to the death, maybe with a gun in the end. And Carl? No, no, that’s messed up, leave that kid out of this he’s already a little messed up in the head…
    In this season, Rick has received less attention (ever since Lori’s death and his hallucinations). Rick vs. the Governor, boss vs. boss, to the death, would be a great way to refocus the show around Rick as the protagonist, if the writers still want the show to be told that way.
    However, it would make most sense for Daryl to kill the governor- he’s the most badass and has the most vengeance (currently) for the governor (I think…). Daryl vs. the Gov would be intense, Daryl just getting all pissed throwing punches in every direction. That would just be fun to watch.
    And then there’s… Morgan. If he’s EVER to reappear in this show, I bet it will either be in the next episode, or somewhere WAYYY down the line… like season 6 or something. He is listed on IMBD for the finale (though I would take this with some salt), and his appearance could actually surprise most viewers. I could see Rick or someone else important about to be executed and then morgan coming out of nowhere… which would probably work a lot better than Maggie or any1 else saving them, as his appearance is far less expected.
    OR, Shane could come out of a bush and castrate the governor, making him bleed out. That would be cool.

Comment by Shane – March 24, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Ricks speech was a long time coming. A satisfying moment on the show. Anyone else think thy either glen or Maggie will die next week now..:.we know nobody ever gets a happy ending.

Comment by Nicole – March 24, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Hershel’s done for.

Comment by alexa – March 24, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nooooo! I hope not.

Comment by Faster – March 25, 2013 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just any body but Carol!

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – March 24, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do, I do. I agree – I think one of them is a goner too. Probably Maggie.

Comment by MLO – March 25, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would guess Beth or Hershel or even Carol.

Comment by Amy – March 25, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My predictions for deaths in the finale:

Prison – Hershel, Beth
          Woodbury – Pretty much everyone! I think half of Tyrese’s group will make it and join the prison group. Ben’s dad won’t survive the finale and I think Andrea will sacrifice herself to take out the Governor.

I’ll check back in a week to see how wrong I am :)

Comment by Jamie – March 25, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they will, based on both the comic and the fact that they are the “hope for the future” of the group. If love can’t last in such dire times, what’s the point of living?

I think Andrea will die, but Michonne will be there to stop her from becoming a zombie.

I thought I had read somewhere that only 1 major character will die?

Comment by KV – March 27, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried not to cry, but almost did. I could identify with the way Merle acts. He does what he feels he needs to in order to be included. In his mind, that is all he is good for. Machone then gives him a different view point, and he realizes that he doesn’t like the man that he has become. I laughed, I teared up, but as I said to my wife earlier on in the episode I could feel his death was coming. In my opinion Micheal Rooker, and Norman Reedus have been the best thing about this season, period. I am sad to see Merle go as anytime his character was on screen the show got better. If Micheal Rooker wasn’t such a huge movie star, perhaps Merle would still be alive.

Rest in peace Merle, you made season 3′s slow, tepid pace watchable.

Comment by ohhhsnap – March 24, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *crys* damn damn damn!

Comment by Nicole – March 24, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who else wants to hurt the stupid writers, for Merle. :’( Jk

Comment by Blueberry – March 24, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this episode! However, I’m not going to lie, Glenn’s proposal was lame. I know they’re right in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, but he could have at least gotten on one knee and actually asked. Still a top episode for me though.

Comment by Sara – March 24, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was so sad and angry to see Merle go, definitely one of the strongest personalities and performances on the show. Great character. Even Norman Reedus said that Merle should have lived

Comment by Alex – March 24, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I DON’T FEEL BAD ABOUT MERLE’S DEATH BECAUSE HE WAS A SCUMBAG BUT I DO FEEL BAD FOR HIS BROTHER DARYL WONDERING UPON HIS BROTHER GRUBBING ON A DEAD BODY AND THEN HAVING TO OFF HIM AGAIN TO PROTECT HIMSELF OR JUST PUT HIM OUT OF HIS MISERY JUST PLAIN SAD FOR OLE BROTHER DARYL

Comment by cory – March 25, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looked like Norman was sad to see Rooker go also

Comment by Jamie – March 24, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand the governor, he better die. Daryl, take his ass down!! I also agree that Merle redeemed him self with that act. I wish he was still alive, very heroic of him.

Comment by M – March 24, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had a feeling Merle would commit one final redeeming act before being killed. Sad thing is I wonder if Daryl and the others will ever know what Merle did.
    Also, I’ll go ahead and assume that Maggie and Glenn becoming engaged is one of the blind items.

Comment by Kristin – March 24, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to cry when I saw Daryl’s sad face… He needs a hug. Then he needs to turn those tears into anger and kill the governor!

Comment by Babybop – March 24, 2013 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg im so sad that merle got turned and that daryll had to kill his own brother, he will be opening a can of whoop ass on the cov. for sure. heres hoping the prison clan make it and the outcome is a good one.

Comment by tracy – March 24, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another good episode written by the new showrunner, Scott Gimple. Gives me hope for the show. Last week’s script by outgoing showrunner Glen Mazzara was a total turd. Hate to see Merle go, he provided interesting opposition and banter to what others thought at the prison. He knew how to twist the screws… At least he was allowed to go out with strong character progression, and a heroic end. Props also to Norman Reedus who made us all cry right along with him. Also liked his “family” moment with Rick. Scott Gimple really knows good character building. Looking forward to a great season 4 after a hit-and-miss season 3. (And hopefully less Andrea!)

Comment by Drizz – March 25, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Glenn’s proposal was really really weak!

After asking Hershel for Maggie’s hand in marriage, you didn’t even have the spine to ask will you marry me and you didn’t even put the ring on HER?!

I know not a lot of people commented on that.

Moving on, I agree with Nicole, Rick should’ve made that speech awhile ago.

This episode is much better that the last episode.

Can’t wait for the finale.

Comment by AJ – March 25, 2013 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why everyone is so sad for Merle he was a racist bully and I’m happy he died.rip t dog.

Comment by aaron – March 25, 2013 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we only sad cause Daryl lost the only family he got we even cryed when rick wife died we didnt cry when shane died we cryed when sofia died

Comment by Nicole – March 25, 2013 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I sure did not cry when shame died

Comment by Khalid – March 26, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didn’t cry when Lori died – good riddance to her, lol. I didn’t cry at Sophia’s death either because by that point I was so tired of them looking for her; it really slowed the season down. I didn’t cry when Shane died either because he was a jerk.

Comment by KV – March 27, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think any of the prison gang will kill the governor. I think in the end Milton will do it….. et tu Brutus? Style

Comment by j nielsen – March 25, 2013 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is what I have been thinking for a while now too.

Comment by Adanzante – March 25, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now THAT would be dramatic and satisfying, and also a bit of a twist. I hope that’s how it goes down.

Comment by marie – March 25, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think ricks group will go to Woodbury and the gov will be at the prison and Rick will be safe with guns and food and Win the war also the govs men will prob surrender for their own good and kill the gov

Comment by Khalid – March 26, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this week show was phenomenal. I felt like a couple of shows in the last few weeks have been a bit filler. That being said though, all of the shows have something to add to The Walking Dead series. This week had no filler whatsoever. It was an epic, well though out story with many poginant moments. I always thought I would be happy to see Merle go but I was really sad. It was a great way for the writers to reedem him and I have to say that it was the perfect redemption. Norman Reedus and Micheal did an UH-Mazing job. Norman Reedus performance at the end broke my heart. I know I would have to do it but it would be so hard to put my brother down. Even though my brother and are really really close, I know in their way so were Merle and Darryl. I know more people are going to die next week. I am so hoping though that it isn’t Maggie or Glenn. Can we please have some happiness on the show? I would really hate to see Andrea go. She was getting on my nerves during the first of the season yet during the summit I felt like the old Andrea was back. I felt that she was the only person trying to activley get these people to quit trying to kill one another. Of course the showdown is coming….I can’t wait!!!

Comment by Taeylor – March 25, 2013 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow awesome episode! Didn’t realize that Merle killed Ben and was eating him! Shows how dumb I am! That should be awesome to see how that affects Allen and tyreese’s fued

Comment by Ty – March 25, 2013 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t feel bad. I noticed Ben get shot but it didn’t look like a mortal wound to me (upper shoulder) but anything’s possible when you get shot. I definitely didn’t notice Ben was the corpse Merle chose to chomp on. I might have to take a look at that again.

Comment by Ylanda – March 25, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it is really hard to see in the show, but it was definitely Ben. On The Talking Dead they did a behind the scense segment on zombie Merle and they talked to the actor that played Ben while he was laying on the ground with his guts everywhere and he said he was getting eaten by Merle.

Comment by Jen – March 25, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t realize it was Ben getting shot or being eaten until I watched the Talking Dead!

Comment by KV – March 27, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! Great! Well done for posting a MAJOR spoiler in the page heading. Talk about ruining a popular show for those thar haven’t seen this episode yet. IDIOTS… Have some respect for other fans…

Comment by Brad – March 25, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are you reading an article like this before watching the show? I don’t think the headline gives too much away.

Comment by Jamie – March 25, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My bad, I just noticed the header in my browser http://tvline.com/2013/03/24/walking-dead-season-3-merle-dies/

I should look before I type :)

Comment by Jamie – March 25, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Correct, the browser bar text that you only see if you have clicked on the story labeled “Recap.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 25, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I just finished watching the episode and I didn’t come here until now. But I was spoiled by Ausiello’s tweet. “RIP [spoiler]” informed me someone was going to die and I was more than certain that this mystery death he so generously kept secret was Merle. Sometimes I think he gets off on spoiling time shifting viewers.

Comment by TigerNightmare – March 25, 2013 04:46 PM PDT
    • Your comment will fall on deaf ears around here. TVLine doesn’t give a crap about their readers. Sorry you were spoiled but now you know to steer clear of this site before you’ve watched anything you wouldn’t want to be spoiled.

Comment by tripoli – March 26, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could we give Norman Reedus the “Performer of the Week” crown?

Comment by Moo – March 25, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Reason they are not booby trapping the place is they don’t plan on having them stay. I think they’re gonna vote to leave the prison and the governer is going to attack an empty prison next week, then chase them down and the battle will ensue on the road. Just my two sense

Comment by Justin – March 25, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they will be getting in the cars to leave and the gov will show up in his trucks. They’ll have to fight cuz he is at the gates

Comment by Amy – March 25, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the spoiler alert in the headline/URL, jerks.

Comment by andrew – March 25, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the one who is going to kill the Governor is Carl.

Comment by Monica4185 – March 25, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As far as defense measures for the prison goes they were definitely making molotov cocktails at least. I assume more options are being planned as well.

Comment by WaDaryl – March 25, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You found out just how complicated a soul Merle was before he died. He was a dog with more bark than bite before the governor turned him into a killer of men (16 total).He picked at Darryl for being the one to do the dirty work for Rick when that’s all he was to the Governor and deep down he hated it. Bottom line Merle only wanted to be with his brother against the world but his brother wanted to be part of a group. Merle couldn’t go back. Among many things he betrayed Rick and would be kicked out for taking Michonne. Darryl would be forced to choose to stay or gowith him and I think this time he would have left Merle to go it alone. Merle couldn’t take that so Merle did what he did to make things “right” the best he could for his brother and the group. I think it was his way of righting his wrongs for what he did to others in Woodbury for the Governor.

Comment by Ylanda – March 25, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Insightful observation, Ylanda. I think you brought it together better than anyone.

Comment by jacktar – March 25, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Merle!!!! This is one of those rare characters that are bad, just bad and you know you should hate them there is something about them that draws you in. Not like Andrea, for example, who can be so clueless and naive that you just really want to slap her and toss her into the walker pit.This actor did such an excellent job. I always looked forward to what Merle would do next. And the last scene when Daryl looked into his eyes and realized he was dead was heart-breaking! Norman hit it out of the park on that one. It was nice to see the anatomy of Merle before he died. Well played. This is one character I will definitely miss. Can’t believe the finale is only one week away. :-( Brilliant writing, excellent acting, excellent show all around…

Comment by Ana – March 25, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just throwing it out there, but I think NOONE kills the Gov. I pray I’m wrong, but I could totally see them carrying him over into next season. There is just so much that has to happen that to do ALL of it in one episode will do a total disservice to the story lines. The battle at the prison needs to be extensive to give any satisfaction to the storyline. While saying all this, I really hope I’m wrong and the Gov dies next week. I don’t want to see the same villian every season.

Comment by Jen – March 25, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI. Merle led the walkers to the meeting place where the Gov & Rick had their pow-wow.
    Not to Woodbury.
    All of the Gov’s men were there to ambush Rick & Co.

Comment by CS Glo – March 25, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping the group filled the prison with zombies and took off to let the Governer deal with them when he “breaks” in.

Comment by Kathy – March 25, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scott Gimple with another great character-driven episode…

Well, minus the Glenn/Maggie chop-an-engagement-ring-off-of-a-walker’s-hand deal. I don’t know how to explain it other than it just felt “off.” I feel like it would have been more romantic for Glenn to have found some cool new weapon in the prison and given it to Maggie as a gesture of “I want to kill zombies with you for the rest of my life.”

BUT, the rest of the episode was amazing. I loved everything Daryl/Merle/Rick-related.

I thought that it was a nice touch to have the voice-over of Hershel reading the Bible passage with Rick deciding to call off the plan of giving up Michonne. Since the end of S2, you could feel Rick being pulled more-and-more toward the harsh, survivalist, “it’s simple math” ideology of Shane, and I hated seeing that, because I loved that Rick kept trying to hold on to that little voice in his head that helped him hang on to humanity and what was right/wrong versus giving up and taking the easier road of being just another animal. Rick’s speech at the end of the episode was a beautiful character moment: “What we’re willing to do, who we are, it’s not my call. It can’t be. I couldn’t sacrifice one of us for the greater good, because we are the greater good…This is life and death. How you live, how you die, isn’t up to me. I’m not your Governor. We choose to go. We choose to stay.” I had chills running down my spine!

Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker (and Gimple as a writer and Nicotero as a director) hit all of the right notes with Daryl and Merle. I don’t even know where to begin, and I don’t think I could express my thoughts well enough. Suffice it to say, Daryl finding and killing zombie Merle was heartbreaking.

I hope that Daryl doesn’t end up blaming Rick for what happened to Merle. They have the best bromance on television!

Comment by Jamie – March 25, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyones moaning about the marriage thingy between Glenn and Maggie, But Scott followed the comics to an extent as they do marry there, and they do survive the prison, and the only difference Glenn gets it off a pile of bodies whereas now he gets it from a walking walker…

Comment by Daniel Smart – March 25, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post