American Idol: What Should the Top 8 Sing for (Yet Another Installment of) Motown Week?

American-Idol-Top-8-Season-12The American Idol Season 12 Top 8 will be faced with a tricky theme this Wednesday (8/7c on Fox): Detroit: The Music of Motor City.

Yep, it’s essentially another way of saying Motown Week, and as such, I’m gritting my teeth bracing for an onslaught of songs we’ve already heard one too many times in prior Idol seasons — “(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave,” “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” and “Let’s Get It On” to name a few.

RELATED | American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

Still, hope springs eternal, which is why I’ve taken the time to brainstorm some fresher song ideas for the current crop of contestants. Check out my picks below, then hit the comments with your own selections!

Candice Glover: The Commodores’ “Brick House” (I’m not even sure I could handle this) or The Spinners’ “It’s a Shame” or Bonnie Pointer’s “Heaven Must Have Sent You” (might take her in an appealingly Adele/Winehouse direction)

Kree Harrison: Smokey Robinson’s “Cruisin‘” or Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You” or The Undisputed Truth’s “Smiling Faces Sometimes” (ooh, she could get bluesy on that last jam)

Amber Holcomb: Teena Marie’s “Square Biz” (this ditty is L-to-the-EGENDA-to-the-RY!) or Mary Jane Girls’ “In My House” (because it’s time to go uptempo)

Janelle Arthur: The Marvelette’s “The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game” or The Miracles’ “Shop Around” (not hard to envision with a touch of twang and country instrumentation)

Angie Miller: Diana Ross’ “My Old Piano” (she could give it a less disco, more singer-songwriter vibe) or Edwin Starr’s “War” (seriously, Angie railing on the piano for this one might sound controversial, but could be absolutely incredible — SAY IT AGAIN!)

VIDEO | Idology: Curtis Finch Jr. Questions Idol‘s Year of the Woman, Talks Playing ‘Bad Guy’ in Hollywood

Lazaro Arbos: Diana Ross’ “Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You’re Going To)” or Dennis Edwards and Siedah Garrett’s “Don’t Look Any Further

Burnell Taylor: The Temptations’ “Psychedelic Shack” or Dazz Band’s “Let It Whip” (time for Burnell to show he can handle a little tempo with that gorgeously gritty tone of his already!)

Devin Velez: David Ruffin’s “My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)” or Brenda Holloway’s “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy

Your turn. Help the Top 8 with their Motown Week song picks. They can thank you during their Seacrest interviews on Wednesday! And for all my Idol news, commentary, videos and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Adrian Arciniega says:

Um, Michael, I have the perfect song for Candice: The Gladys Knight and the Pips version of “I Heard it through the Grapevine”. Take a listen and you’re welcome.

• Johnny says:

oh wow that’s an awesome choice! i had picked for her a gladys knight song too but i chose “if i were your woman”

• Lauren says:

NO NO NO “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” has been done 6 times on Idol already. J’enough.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think he didn’t pick because it’s been done to death…. I don’t the Brick House choice is right for anyone though…

• Adrian Arciniega says:

Yeah, true, maybe you’re right about it being done to death, but I wouldn’t mind it being done by Candice, Gladys’ way, which it hasn’t. With a little funk, with a twist of Candice’s knack for arrangements.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Skylar did the Gladys Knight version just last year, although she countrified it up a notch, obviously.

• deedee says:

Was just gonna say this. Skylar did the Gladys version last year, but people online kept saying how much she changed up that old song. Are people not that familiar with Glady’s cover, or did I somehow miss all the supposed amazing changes Skylar made to it?
            Anyway, “Brick House” is genius. So is “Let It Whip”. I always associate Motown with the 60s and 70s, but they had some fun hits in the 80s. Can we get Devin to sing “Superfreak”? Well, somebody has to!

• Glenda says:

exactly,that is a group song.

• Johnny says:

I know we have heard it a LOT but i reckon nobody has done it Gladys Knit style. Her style is kickass compared to the others.. However, I do stand by my pick of “If I was your woman” tho. she would have a big moment doing that I think. Slezak choices for her suck not only for her but ANYONE of the contestants. Them choices smelled like sabotage to me LOL

• marygrace says:

Absolutly no. Should never been done on Idol again!

• Glenda says:

I would like for Amber to sing a Tina Marie,Tina turner ,Natalie Cole or even Mariah Carey song

• Trouty Mouth says:

Does licence to kill count as Motown? If so, I’d love to hear candice sing it !!!

• Jake says:

How about some Eminem this week, they could take one of his songs to his daughter or Not Afraid or something and make the raps into song lyrics, slow it down maybe or something.

2. scoobyscoobz says:

You know NO ONE will be singin’ any of these, get ready for Natural Woman, Heard It Through the Grapevine, For Once In My Life, etc

• Adrian Arciniega says:

Aretha was never signed to Motown.

• ado4586 says:

Here’s my picks for the Motown theme:

1) Crystal – Papa Was a Rolling Stone (Temptations) I’d pay to see this

2) Kree – Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Night and the Pips) This train will be heart-felt and smooooth

3) Angie – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell) She can handle the swopping vocals

4) Amber – Living for the City (Stevie Wonder) Will help add some much needed edge to her persona

5) Janelle – You Keep me Hanging On (Supremes) It could have some nice twang if she slows it down and country-fies it

6) Devon – Baby, Everything is Alright (Stevie Wonder) Devon needs to go uptempo this week

7) Burnell – Mercy Mercy Me (Marvin Gay) I think this guy could make me feel the sorrow of this anti-pollution song

8) Lazaro – What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? (Jimmy Ruffin) For the young girls who keep voting for him

• Mark says:

Not only that, most of these suggestions have no connection to Detroit. Berry Gordy moved Motown Records to LA in 1972, and most of the interesting suggestions are from the LA period. Mary Jane Girls, Dazz Band, Teena Marie, The Commodores, and others never set foot in Detroit (except for performances). How about Anita Baker, Jackie Wilson, The White Stripes, Was (not was), Bob Seger, Glenn Frey, Kid Rock, i.e., real Detroit artists?

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. That sounds about right.

• Harvey says:

There are quite a few Motown gems that haven’t been done on Idol at all.

Gladys Knight – Help Me Make it Through the Night (for Candice or maybe Angela)
      The Four Tops – Same Old Song (for Kree or Janelle)

No one’s done Uptight or That Girl by Stevie Wonder, and they’re both great songs.

3. karen says:

Oh Michael, have you forgotten Haley’s “You Really Got a Hold on Me”? Perfect for Kree or Candice. None of these contestants will be choosing obscure songs.

4. Timmah says:

This is the year The Voice is going to overtake this show because Nigel is still stuck in the 60s.

5. Little Red Charlette says:

Is it just me or is this the most yawn-inducing season ever? (Yes, even counting that horrid Season 9. At least we has Casey James’ tight jeans to keep us awake back then.)

• deedee says:

Not just you. Even though I like Candice, Amber, and Kree a lot, I find myself not looking forward to their performances the way I would in a good season. The dynamic of this group is so not interesting. Totally uninspired and uninspiring season.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I kind of feel the same way but I really look forward to Candice’s performances.
        I didn’t think season 9 was so bad. I always looked forward to Crystal’s performances and I loved Casey James. His CD is wonderful.

• Mark says:

I agree. Most. Boring. Season. Ever. There are some nice singers with genuine talent, but there is no one who will ever surprise and do something totally unique and unexpected. There is not a single artist who can take a song and turn it into something amazing that has never been heard before. (Don’t mention that country-fried mess Janelle made last week, or Amber’s crucifixion of her song–in any event, I doubt that either of them had anything to do with the arrangement). It is and will continue to be by the numbers sameness every single week. Expect no surprises and you will not be disappointed. By eliminating all rockers and anyone with individuality, Nigel has doomed this season. Watch the ratings slide to historic lows each and every week.

6. Billy says:

I know this might sound crazy but what if Angie did an acoustic/piano cover of Eminem’s Lose Yourself???? It would be totally unexpected and might be that thing to push her to the front of the pack if done right….plus it fits the theme without us having to sit through another version of a Motown song…

• Lizabeth says:

This is a great idea! I really hope that we will be seeing performances like this and not the same old tired Motown tracks. I can’t get excited reading Michael’s list of not-overdone songs any more than I can get excited over the idea of hearing the same old songs we hear year after year (and have possible already heard during the audition process).

• Jaszy Port says:

Gosh! That song would be amazing for Angela! Angsty, emotional, unplugged! Uhh, EPIC! I bet she would get tons of votes if she sang that song! Oh my god, her rapping, that’d be so cute! I think she could pull it off! I want to see her do something like this! I can picture her doing it already and having that lil bit of swag! Nice suggestion, but let’s face it, boring songs is all the contestants are going to be doing!

7. Christina says:

Sleazak, even you can’t get me excited for another Motown week, yawn.

8. ezequiel says:

Songs that I want each artist to perform
    Kree- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough- Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    Amber- Dancing In The Street- Martha and the Vandellas
    Candice- For Once In My Life- Stevie Wonder
    Angie– Stop! In the Name Of Love- The Supremes
    Janelle- My Guy- Mary Wells
    Lazaro- I’ll Be There- Jackson 5
    Burnell- Ain’t Too Proud To Beg- The Temptations
    Devin- Superstition- Stevie Wonder

• robinlemke says:

This is my favorite list!!

• Yaco says:

I’m using your posting to say ..PLEASE, no more of the same already hammered Motown songs ever present in AI show: ain’t no mountain … Dancing in the …. For once in … Stop in the ….. My guy … I’ll be there … Superstition.. Same old, same old. Even these motown tunes, being old songs, the show needs some refreshment by bringing new melodies never sang before, like for instance Burnell doing “Lets just kiss and say goodbye” this would be a boost for him; Angie doing “Midnight train to Georgia” already mentioned, but a very heartfelt song that she needs to compose her almost perfect image; Kree doing the beautiful “Smoke gets in your eyes”, this one would keep her forever in the glory; Lazaro doing “The Pretender”with a lot of personal charisma, so he can have a chance for another week in the show; Jeanelle doing “We’ve got tonight”, to send her off to stardom once and for all; Amber doing “Only You” that would allow her to play with her powerful voice, to create magic notes; Candice doing “Against the Wind”, that would stay in everyone’s memories for weeks, giving her an easy spot in the final 5; and Devin, Im not sure what’d be good for him. I’ll have to think about it. Fresher new-old songs is what the shows is calling for.

9. Patience says:

This poor show has grown so boring and predictable, but I have to disagree with the premise that Detroit: Music of the Motor City is essentially another way of saying Motown. That definitely is NOT the case although I have no confidence in Idol to treat it otherwise. Detroit has a rich musical history that goes well beyond Motown. Here are but a few Detroit artists: Bob Seger, Madonna, Alice Cooper, Eminem (as a previous commenter noted), Grand Funk Railroad, Iggy Pop, Kid Rock, MC5, The White Stripes, Ted Nugent (ick), Suzi Quatro, The Romantics, Rare Earth…and many more. But yes, this week will probably be another snoozefest.

• Johnny says:

I’m soooo goad somebody else said it..THANNK YOU! If they wanted to say Motown they can jjusy say Motown but they said music of motor city which does not mean all the songs are from motown even though motown is big there in detroit. I hope the contestants song choices proove this point. even though I understand this may be wishful thinking :-(

• Mel says:

This is American Idol. In the last season Nigel invented several promising titles, but, I am sure, Eminem can not worry about his songs.

• Var says:

You could add Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels or John Lee Hooker. It’s hard to picture Lazaro or Devin doing “Kick out the jams m***** f*****”.

10. forwarddad says:

At least we are spared Paul this week. He was reportedly going to sing the tracks of my tears ala Adam Lambert version. :-(

11. Amber – I love your smile
    Candice – Overjoyed
    Burnell – It’s so hard to say goodbye to yesterday
    Kree – Stop! In the name of love (Jonell Mosser version from Hope Floats, countrified version of the song. AMAZING)
    Lazaro – Hello (crappy song, hopefully he knows the song so he can at least try to sing it)
    Devin – Nightshift
    Jaenell – I’ve never been to me
    Angie – Square Biz

I pick mostly 80′s motown, because we have 11 seasons of the same old heatwave and heard it through the grapevine…

12. Adam Fachry says:

If Idol really does love the 60s, they should have a Phil Spector-produced and written songs night by now. I love Motown, but some of the early r&b / pop-rock hits are also done by him in the 60s. He was also resposnsible for the emergence of wall of sound. The Ronettes, The Crystals, The Dixie Cups, The Righteous Brothers, Dion, Connie Francis, Ike and Tina, Beales, Lennon, Harrison, Yoko, The Teddy Bears, Checkmates, Ltd., The Paris Sisters, Emile Ford, Ben E. King, Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, Darlene Love, Ray Peterson all have worked with him.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I can’t believe they can’t think of any themes that are even remotely interesting or current at this point. It’s ridiculous. Time for a new producer. They need some new thinking behind the scenes…

• marie says:

Problem with Spector is, how do you get around his present circumstances / later life? GREAT music, no doubt – I’ve always been a big, big fan – but what about the intro package? Do we simply NOT MENTION that he’s currently incarcerated for killing his date?

I don’t know…I love the old Spector “Wall of Sound” music from the 60s, but every time I think of Phil Spector, the man, I feel kind of queasy…

13. Lauren says:

Candice should sing “You” by Marvin Gaye she would SLAY it! One of his most underrated songs

14. db says:

Wouldn’t you want to hear some al green……let’s stay together….

15. Amadeu says:

i usually don’t like this theme.

16. I’m crossing my fingers for somebody to do a Iggy and The Stooges song.

17. Guitar Blue says:

In an interview with TV Guide on Iovine, Nicki said:

I wish he would just zip his lips and let America make their own decisions. Because he comes down very hard on Lazaro [Arbos], America keeps voting for him. You don’t want to force a decision down [viewers'] throats because they’re going to feel compelled to rebel.”

Randy also added

They’ve got to open up our mics so we can come back at him. And we should judge Jimmy!

Keith said

I think he’s pretty accurate. But I agree with Jimmy when he agrees with me, otherwise I don’t agree!————————————————————————————————————–

Idol ratings slipped a little more last Thursday. Will Motown on Wednesday, and Colton Dixon on Thursday’s show get them back to dominance??

18. moonbunny28 says:

This is why American Idol is slipping every week it’s like a repeat of each season every year but with slightly different singers. Bring on The Voice!!!!

19. Teeny Bikini says:

If only they put Nicki on The Voice, then all of my favorite awesome things would be on the same show. They need to make this show current like yesterday. There aren’t Motown songs that they will make interesting at this point.

20. Making Detroit music just about Motown is a bit shortsighted. I’m assuming the contestants could sing some Madonna, Kid Rock, Bob Seger, White Stripes, or The Romantics in addition to all the awesome Motown music. And now that Candice showed off a little rock edge, wouldn’t you like to hear her sing “Stranglehold” by Ted Nugent?

21. JEF says:

Phil Spector is a murderer. I don’t think AI would want to promote his music.

• Adam Fachry says:

Troubled artists are old news. It’s not like the artists that have been covered on Idol haven’t done the same or even worse mistakes every now and then. Make no mistake, I’m not condoning murderer though lol.

22. Guitar Blue says:

The Voice starts tomorrow nite. Shakira and Usher join Adam Levine and Blake in the red chairs. ………………………………..

A comment from exec producer Mark Burnell — “they know The Voice highlights talent, rather than tearing it down” ……………………………………

but, the voice coaches/judges still make some silly/questionable/ridiculous decisions and song choices for their “team” sometimes – IMO.

The blind auditions and battle-rounds await. Turn your chair around when you listen to the auditions — no peeking!

23. Johnny says:

Since they will probably stick with Motown selectiions.
    Candice; If I was your woman by G. Knight
    Burnell; Master Blaster (Jammin) by S. Wonder
    Amber; Square Biz by Teena Marie
    Angie; I’ll be there by J5
    Kree; Don’t leave me this way by Thelma Houston
    Jannelle; Touch me in the morning by D Ross the boss lol
    Lazaro; Never Can say goodbye by J5
    Devin; Cruisin by Smokie Robinson

And iif Jolly was still there I would have suggested All I do by S.Wonder

• LeahKittyS says:

No way can Burnell do “Master Blaster.” That song belongs to DeAndre now. And if Lazaro does “Never Can Say Goodbye,” it will sound just like Jorge Nunez, who was cut the first week of Season 8 (Puerto Rican guy, anyone?). Your suggestions for Candice, Angie, and Kree have also been done before. Candice’s and Kree’s are fine, but I think Angie could do better.

• Johnny says:

at, between all of Deandre hair flippings onstage I really felt his vocals were only good in his hollywood week group round. So Burnell should be able to put a nice vibe to the song without making it sound forced and exremely gay ijs. Lazaro is just about as good as any old average singer (including Jorge) so i say why waste too many good songs on him when its just been time foe him to leave looong time ago imo. I think Angie going to bring the extra cheese factor to anything she sings, thats just seems to be her thing if u ask me. I seem to think of taking a nap whenever she goes on (and other than that i NEVER take naps). As far as dated songs go, I thought in all these years dated songs are what they are all about at Idol unless I missed something. Any time they try more current stuff it REALLY goes bad because everyone is then really compared and called “karaoke” accordiing to the more current version.

• teatime says:

The judges and producers love the dated songs. They push the contestants to do them and they often pan contestants when they do something lesser known. Then we have “shock” eliminations. The voters vote for contestants who change things up. They have to sing some unknown songs, or at least songs not done on the show before, and more current songs, or at least update the arrangement when they have a small song selection. Angie is an early front runner because of her original song noone had heard before.

• deedee says:

Never Can Say Goodbye sounds too dated when someone other than the J5 sing it. Plus, it was done by Jorje Nunez and it got him booted. How about:

Lazaro – “Ben” by Michael Jackson

24. Princess Adora says:

Maybe it doesn’t have to be Motown. Musicians from Detroit include Eminem, Aaliyah and Jack White (I got this from Wikipedia, so if there are mistakes I offer my advanced apologies) – it would be great if the contestants could choose from all the artists from the Detroit area.

25. “an onslaught of songs we’ve already heard one too many times in prior Idol seasons” maybe the reason why they keep doing the same songs every season is because in order to get the rights to them the first time the producers had to sign multi-year contracts. These songs probably weren’t cheap to come by, the expense would not have been justified to use them for one or two seasons.

• teatime says:

Considering how much they ay the judges, I think they could spend a little more on song licensing. Song selection should be one of their priorities.

• teatime says:

That ^^^^ is supposed to read, “Considering how much they pay the judges…”

• My point was that maybe in order to get the Beatles, for instance, they had to license the songs for five or 10 years, somewhere between that,so we’ll keep seeing them do Beatles songs until that licensing deal expires. Theme weeks may be due to them having licensed multiple catalogs for extended periods of time, which is why they don’t get that many new songs.

• MB says:

Rhein how did Phillip get Volcano, I got a disease, the stone and its still raining? Songs never done on Idol.

• I’m not saying that they don’t have access to other songs. I’m offering a possible theory for why they keep repeating the same old ones over and over again.

26. TJC says:

First and foremost, AI should have ended 3 years ago at least. Even if Phillips is the only profitable idol alum in the past 5 years. The show is failing and I definitely think it all comes down to the song rights. The reason we hear the same songs on every single single competition repeatedly is because many artists won’t release their song catalogs.If you saw the X factor this year (which is amazing in the UK, but is absolutely dreadful in the US) you may have noticed L.A. Reid commenting about the shows inability to get the rights for alot of music. I know the black keys have publically declined letting reality singing contestants cover their music. Motown is,with due respect old. Record sales are probably at a plateau; the revenue from royalties alone makes it worth it to license for cheap. Less viewers each year means a lesser and lesser budget. It’s practically too expensive to license current music.

I wish FOX would put idol to bed respectfully (like they should have done when Cowell left…) and give The Xfactor a proper winter time slot… Without interruption from MLB. I know it’s been bad, but think of how good it could be with all of idols promotional time.

#cancelamericanidol

• LeahKittyS says:

As much as I have loved Idol ever since I saw Carrie Underwood be showered in golden confetti, I agree with all of your points. Season 10 and 11 were my favorite of all the seasons, but the show cannot save itself from the passage of time and a changing world. I will watch until the end, but I will not deny the fall from grace.

• teatime says:

AI still has the bones for a great show season after season. They have a new crop of contestants every year. They should license new songs every year. Where they fail is when the jusges/producers try to hard to determine the result each week. This year, they were too heavy-handed from the beginning in narrowing the pool of contestants that could be voted on and then cutting that list down to the top 10 within 1 vote.

• karen says:

The show is hardly failing. Phillip Phillips had a quadruple platinum hit single fresh off his Idol win last year. It’s always the same complaints every season from people like you. Well, this season they’ve got at least two if not three bonafide stars out of this crop of contestants. Quick, name any of the other contestants on Kelly Clarkson’s season, or Carrie Underwood, for that matter? Didn’t think so.

27. sdexta says:

I really hope that “Detroit: The Music of Motor City” actually does mean music by people from Detroit, not just Motown. This could potentially lead to some interesting song choices.

28. Billie says:

MY ‘IDOL’ THOUGHTS
    Since Amber has been doing ballads for a century, I predict she is going to do HEATWAVE (LOLOLOL). I have a feeling her weakness is her having artistry, she don’t seem to know how to create her own style and not sing a song exactly the way it was sang originally alongside with her ballad song choices as well…that’s why MIGHTY Candice is ahead of her.

• Glenda says:

that would be kree and Janelle,motiomless and boring

• Johnny says:

I think if the girls want to try to chhnge things up a bit they need to do it now siince there are still weak guys left that the public seems itchin to be rid of. Now is the time the girls can mess up and get away with it (except maybe Amber). If Amber does Heatwave I see her going home before the results show night ijs. Ambers uuptempo, i think, is more like a nice jazzy type of groove, not too fast bit not necessarily slow ish neither. Something you can ride nice in your car and make you feel good while in traffic or soomething lol

29. Houster says:

Q: Does the “Detroit: Music of the Motor City” mean that Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Ted Nugent, Eminem, and Jack White/The White Stripes/The Raconteurs are in play?

Not that I’d expect any of the contestants to choose anything by the above artists, but right off the bat, you could have Lazaro sing “My Name Is”, “Lose Yourself”, or “I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself”. I suppose Angie, Candice or Kree could try “Seven Nation Army”, since Kelly Clarkson has covered that song in concert for years now.

Assuming that it is Motown only, here are my picks.

Candice: Don’t Mess With Bill, The Marvelettes

Kree: Ooh, Baby, Baby, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles – Linda Ronstadt cover

Amber: Reflections, Diana Ross and The Supremes

Janelle: Stop! In The Name Of Love, Diana Ross and The Supremes

Angie: My World Is Empty Without You, Diana Ross and The Supremes

Lazaro: My Cherie Amour, Stevie Wonder
    (I suppose Lionel Richie’s “Dancing On The Ceiling” would be a non-starter).

Burnell: Bernadette, Four Tops

Devin: Just My Imagination, Temptations

Michael has some really nice selections in his article, but some misses.

Candice: Can a female get away with singing “Brick House”? Can Candice hit the ridiculously high notes of “It’s A Shame”? As far as “Heaven Must Have Sent You”, the song has scat singing in it, and I recall what happened to contestant Leslie Hunt when she threw some scat singing into “Feeling Good.”

Kree: “I Want You” could work. I’m not sure she could do well with “Cruisin”, which really requires a lot of Smokey Robinson-type high notes. “Being With You” would be better. Kree singing “Smiling Faces Sometimes” I think would be a disaster. Curtis Finch, Jr., would have done well with that one.

Amber: Both “Square Biz” and “In My House” would be great for her.

Janelle: “The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game” is a very good selection. “Shop Around”? I don’t think so. It would be compared to David Archuleta in Season 7.

Angie: “My Old Piano” would be great. “War”? You’ve got to be kidding. It would be a train wreck of epic proportions, and the judges would be scratching their heads, hard.

Lazaro: Not for him. The “Theme From Mahogany” would be just as much a disaster as “In My Life” was, and a curse would come down from Heaven if he got anywhere near Dennis Edwards’ “Don’t Look Any Further”.

Burnell: “Psychedelic Shack” sounds good for him. “Let It Whip” would be risky, but it could really help him if he could pull it off.

Devin: “My Whole World Ended.” Having Devin sing a David Ruffin song is like having Pat Boone or Michael Bolton sing a David Ruffin song. Another curse would come down if he tried “You Made Me So Very Happy”, because almost every grizzled veteran like me knows the song from Blood, Sweat and Tears, and Devin is thousands of miles behind David Clayton Thomas. I’d force him to sing “And When I Die” for the save, just for that.

• Glenda says:

Wrong, Amber needs to sing a Natalie Cole song or Super Woman or Tina Marie song,Burnell can sing a Marvin Gaye song or Smiling Faces song,Candice sing a Tina Turner song or I’m Every Woman.Devin sing a Brian McKnight song or .Curtis sing a Rick James song or Aexander o,Neal song. Angie sing Alicia Keys since she like to use piano or Stevie Wonder song.Kree sing Super woman or Diana Ross song.Janelle can sing a Cindy Lauper song.

30. Chuck says:

Nice try, Michael, but I feel safe in saying that not a single song you mentioned will be sung on Wednesday. I put the over/under on “new to Idol” songs at 1.

31. JD says:

>Q: Does the “Detroit: Music of the Motor City” mean that Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet >Band, Ted Nugent, Eminem, and Jack White/The White Stripes/The Raconteurs are in >play?

Exactly what I was thinking – but we’ll be lucky to get one song that’s not an old MoTown rehash.

32. Claudia says:

Devin is my favorite of the guys (that’s not saying a lot) but he needs a makeover. He needs to dye his hair dark brown or at least dark with highlights. That blonde color washes him out. Someone (not Jimmy) needs to take him shopping for better clothes. And Michael’s choices for him are a guarentee to be going home. He needs to blow us out of the water, not sing a safe predictable song. “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” would be the kiss of death.

33. Kenny says:

Burnell- All this love-Debarge
    Kree-If I were your woman-Gladys Knight & Pips
    Candice- Niether one of us- Gladys Knight and Pips
    Amber-It’s my turn- Diana Ross
    Lazaro-Got to be there-Michael Jackson/J5
    Devin-Isn’t She Lovely- Stevie Wonder
    Angie-Ooh Baby Baby- Miracles
    Janelle-Sail On- Commodores
    Motown will never get old.

34. darcy's evil twin says:

Assuming “Detroit – the music of Motor City” means just that and not “Motown Week”…

Angie – Diana Ross’ “Muscles” (written by Michael Jackson to boot!)
    Kree – Ted Nugent’s “Free For All”
    Devin – Diana Ross’ “Good Morning Heartache” (from “Lady Sings the Blues”)
    Candice – Tina Turner’s “Nutbush City Limit” (it was covered by Bob Seger). Or, if that’s too much of a stretch, Bob Seger’s “Get out of Denver”.
    Lazaro – Madonna’s “La Isla Bonita”. In Spanish for God’s sake.
    Burnell- Rick James’ “You and Me”
    Amber – Madonna’s “Like a Prayer”
    Janelle – Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page”

35. CArla says:

For me, Devin should sing Isn’t she lovely or Supertition by Stevie Wonder. He has a wonderful voice!

36. Name That Tune says:

I’m hoping for Uptempo songs and NO BALLADS

37. CK says:

Michael. You are so wonderfully funky tonight! Dazz Band in particular was a good choice.

38. Lois Benton says:

Michael, you must be desperate for something new to suggest these songs. As for me, I’m so sick of the Motown/Motor City Theme that I don’t even want to think about it. But anyone who isn’t Joshua Ledet who attempts to sing When a Man Loves a Woman or It’s a Man’s World is in a load of trouble. Unless, of course, that person is Candice and she signs it like a woman scorned. Then, maybe, okay.

39. Yaco says:

40. WDDB says:

Lazaro Tweeted he has met Smokey; he’s singing Smokey.

I’d give a lot for it to be “Shop Around.”
    I’d give more for “Being with You.”

But I’d bet a lot that it’s “Tracks of My Tears.”

41. Vince says:

I think Candice would slay if she does “You’re All I Need to Get By” doing what Jessica Sanchez did at the DNC (if you haven’t seen). And Amber can do Like A Prayer! I’m not sure about Angie cause this week isn’t much of a big help for her.

42. Amanda says:

how about we just take motown out completely its to boring and this season is already boring

43. DLS says:

What the heck was that Nicki Minaj talking about tonight? Kree singing next to a beautiful woman and not being self conscious. Kree is a beautiful and extremely talented woman. I sure hope Nicki is not back on the show next season. Her voice drives me nuts, I usually have to mute my TV while she’s talking and so many of her comments never make any sense. I don’t watch the show as much this year because of her.