American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

Insanity is asking for American Idol to come up with new and different themes season after season after season and expecting Nigel Lythgoe will deliver anything other Motown Week, Lennon-McCartney Songbook and Hits From the Year You Were Born.

RELATED | Season Finale Calendar: What’s Ending When?

But as a lifelong Idoloonie, unrealistic optimism isn’t just a mood, it’s a mother-flippin’ way of life!

VIDEO | Idology: Is Comic Jimmy Iovine Hurting Idol‘s Ladies? Plus: Lazaro and the ‘Courage’ Card

And thus, I’ve taken the liberty of cooking up a dozen fabulous fresh theme-night ideas, and adding them to the 10 I brainstormed around this time last year. So click through for the whole shebang, then take our poll to vote which of my suggestions you’d most like to see. When you’ve done all that, hit the comments with your own fresh ideas! And for all my Idol news, interviews, commentary and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. Karen says:

Great suggestions. Though I would love to see them not to do theme-weeks at all, with possible exceptions every once in a while, if they want to pay tribute to a musical artist or genre.

• Marianne says:

This!!! Just let them do what they want and we may learn more of their personality and chosen genre. (Clearance of songs would be tricky here, though.)

• allie says:

they already did a no theme (well, to be fair it was before the Top 10) and every stinkin one of them picked a ballad. I cannot wait for the Voice! I’ll tune in again if it is a Candice vs Kree showdown but the rest bore me to death.

• carlyrose says:

SLEZAK YOU THIEF. You stole half these themes from X Factor.

2. Where is the ‘all of the above’ option? ;)

3. Angela says:

I only saw the picture of Celine and thought you may have suggested a Celine Dion night which coincidentally would be the schmaltziest piece of awesome ever.

CELINEEEEE!!!!!

• nino.h.fernandez@gmail.com says:

I think a Celine week would be awesome. There would inevitably be some spectacular train wrecks (which are always fun) and some pleasant surprises (where a contestant effectively makes a silk purse from a sow’s ear, the sow’s ear being the dreadful Diane Warren catalog o’ Dreck). Also, how about the contestants each come up with a theme and the viewers vote, maybe through the app.

4. Anonymous says:

There’s a LOT of bands that’s never been played on Idol. Deep Purple? Radiohead? Oasis?

5. shump says:

They did Lennon-McCartney two weeks in a row during season 7! I had to skip it this week because I don’t like Beatles songs.

• Joe Strummer says:

People that don’t like Beatles songs really don’t like music.

• Nina says:

People who think Beatles songs are the only songs really don’t like music.

• scooby says:

Way to set up a straw man. Nobody said Beatles songs are the only songs, but they are in every way the 800 lb gorilla in modern music. Truly bizarre that Burnell hadn’t heard Let It Be. No awareness of music history to that degree is stunning. With a lot of these Idol kids who say ‘I’ve never heard that song before’ while performing a major hit on Lennon/McCartney night, their goal smacks of wanting to be famous more than wanting to be a professional musician–nobody says you have to have the words memorized or you have to want to love their genre, but be aware of the big songs of the big artists out there. Slightly less weird for Amber with She’s Leaving Home because it’s not as well known as some songs in their catalog, although she’s really missing out if she hasn’t listened to Sgt. Pepper. Lazaro basically saying he’d choose a song he loved next time when the song he did was In My Life, that was odd. Listening to the lyrics, if him can’t connect with the emotion of that, I just don’t know what to tell him.

• Joe Strummer says:

Thanks Scooby, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Christy Loyd says:

I would like to see Lazaro change his appearance, maybe a black leather jacket and jeans. OMG please get rid of the bow tie!!!! I also think that he needs to mess up his hair and try to look a little more sexy. He should jazz things up too!!!!!! He is certainly not my pick, but I think he could try to look like the whole package.

• Penny Lane says:

My thoughts exactly.. The Beatles made music that will last forever. If you are in the business to sing and record…Please do your research…you don’t know what you’re missing.

6. bj says:

All of them brilliant!!!!!

7. JASon says:

Worst ideas ever! MAybe 80s rock night but the rest make me think thank god Michael Slezak is not a television producer!

• MB says:

I was also thinking of a rock night.

• Mary says:

I guess you like the same old songs being played. Their were a couple I didn’t care for – breakup
      and saddest story because that would be total slow songs night. I also don’t think many of these kid would be able to handle choosing and rearranging a song, but for the rest I thought he had some great ideas – ESPECIALLY NO SLOW SONGS. I love the classics as much as the next person but how many times do we need to hear the same thing. The old saying variety is the spice of life.

• Dayrah says:

It’s funny because all the breakup songs I can think of off the top of my head are dance/pop tracks or rock songs, NOT slow songs

8. MB says:

I am dreading next weeks Motown theme.
    This year I feel like I am in a bad relationship I can’t get out of. It’s lost that special feeling for me but I am having a hard time giving up and walking away because I loved the show so much. Even a new and different theme may not save this season. This is the dullest group I ever experienced. I always had a favorite or two but honestly I don’t care who wins because I don’t think any of these guys will break into the music industry by storm. There is no creativity at all. I liked Angie after her original song but after listening to the studios from the past two weeks I am totally disappointed. Unless something changes and there is a remarkable improvement with this group I will not support any of them after the finale. I never felt that way before even with Lee Dewyse.

• Jenny says:

I feel the exact same way. I was ready to give it a chance with the new judges, but I just couldn’t make it. I finally took AI off the DVR. There is no creativity and every performance production wise is like the contestants are some huge mega-star selling out stadiums. Everything is too staged and force to get you to like them that I just said enough.

• Tess says:

I can’t help but wonder if it is that this crop of contestants are all just incredibly dull and have no concept of creating new arrangements to sound original or if it’s that Jimmy and Co. just won’t allow them to. Because one thing winners of the past couple of seasons have in common besides being boiled down to WGWG is that they had a better understanding of how to take a song and work it to fit them and their style than most of their other contestants. Viewers would be more apt to tune in knowing these kids were at least taking those same old songs from the limited song lists of Nigel’s tired themes and were doing something original to them. But perhaps after dealing with contestants last year wanting to do their own things, Jimmy decided to nix that and force this year’s group to just do stale retreads with no real attempt to modernize older songs…? Not saying it can’t be that the kids are all boring, but Jimmy could possibly also be to blame for some of the blandness.
      Oh and Nigel too. If you’re going to insist on trotting out the same themes we’ve seen countless times (it’s not even like he’s taking themes that were only done once like “British Invasion”; something only done once before we might be able to tolerate seeing again more than something done in 3 or 4 other seasons) at least update and refresh the song list. Don’t make like they get to choose from a hefty catalog either, we all know it’s a limited song list – so at least remove the songs we’ve heard more than 3 times already and add some songs that have never been covered before. (And really, why Nigel doesn’t run with any and all of these theme ideas is beyond me – I’d take any of them over Motown again!)

• QueenJ says:

I think you are on to something here. The WGWG get dismissed for being cute, white, whatever but the truth is they stood out in the competition because they were doing different things to songs than their competitors. I think Angie *can* do this as evidenced by her YouTube channel but if she’s allowed to remains to be seen.

• MB says:

This is a very good thought. All these years the WGWG was labeled as getting votes because they were cute and had the tween and cougar fans but in reality they were original and interesting which made them stand out. ( except Scotty)1 That is why this year it is so boring because we have a bunch of singers that does not change it up.
          I really don’t think Jimmy is banning this. They have already made a fortune off of Phillip so I would think they would encourage some originality.
          If Angie does this on YouTube and hasn’t done it on the show than maybe she is just afraid to and has taken more of a safe road.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

They were? What was Scotty doing to the songs each week that was so special? How can you call out Scotty for that when you had Haley and even Casey and half the rest? And even for P2 when you had Elise?

• teatime says:

Scotty didn’t rearrange songs. But he was the highest placed country male since Bucky Covington finished 8th in season 5. He was also a teenage boy with a baritone voice. He actually brought something very different to the show that they had not had before.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

and the same exact song every single week……….

• darcy's evil twin says:

True, but as I’ve said before, George Strait had over 50 number one hits that all sounded exactly the same. Some people like a familiar comfort zone.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah but the point is how is that an example of someone always keeping it fresh and interesting??? (I don’t even know who George Straight so I am talking your word that he sounds the same all the time. I heard a couple people here compare him to Scotty before but those are the only times I even heard of this guy.)

• teatime says:

I could not agree more. The appeal of original and unexpected can not be overstated. Contestants do well when they bring something new to the song or to the show and it works for them.

• Norma Spackman says:

MB describes my feelings exactly. I keep saying I won’t watch, but like a rubber-necker at a car accident I just can’t turn away. They are BORING, and some of them can’t really even sing – Lazarus or whatever his name is. Yes he has a speech impediment and I am sure that is hard, but it doesn’t make him sing off key. That is just because he isn’t a good singer. Theme nights are terrible. The Stevie Wonder night is always a train wreck, because let’s face it, no one on Idol is ever going to be Stevie Wonder. Motown is almost as bad, but just because the contestants pick the same old tired music. Not the great motown stuff we love. In addition to all of the above I am still having a hard time with all of the judges. Keith is, at least, attractive to look at and seems to have a keen sense of humour. But….SIGH.

9. zaza says:

I read this list off to my daughter and she said “I’d watch that season….heck, I’d want to be ON that season.” She hasn’t watched for several years. You’ve got her all fired up. Make these themes happen, please!!!!!!

10. JB says:

Musical mashups would be so much fun and Kris Allen would be the perfect mentor.His mashups are always a highlight of his concerts:girl pop medleys,Falling slowly-With Or Without Her,Faith-We Are Young.They would never do anything so interesting.

• GMom says:

I SO agree! Kris would be a great mentor!! IMO, he is the best WGWG Idol has produced! And judging by his concert I went to, he is even better! Loved the Faith/we Are Young mashup! Go to one (or more) of his concerts! He is awesome!
      NOTE: Why, when I hit “reply”, does it jump to the top and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll to the very bottom to post a comment?!?

11. tv fan. says:

I would love 80’s Rock night. I am sure most would sing power ballads but it would be awsome to see someone sing “Shout at the Devil” or “Hot for Teacher”. I can not deal with another night of Song from Motown. I really have given up on Idol this year but I do catch the clips on Hula.

12. Luann C. says:

I’ve been watching American Idol on and off for many years, and really got hooked with Season 10 and Haley Reinhart, and not just because I live in the Chicago area. I got hooked because of the variety that she brought to the show just with her cross-genre experience. All of which she did so well. But that season also brought a good variety of contestants all around with country, rock, jazz, R&B, and so on, that actually remained on the show almost until the end with rocker James and, of course, jazzy/soulful Haley.

And it’s for this reason that my perfect re-born American Idol 2.0 would find a way to create a new format from the ground up that would compete singers in a variety of genres such as country, rock, jazz, R&B, pop, and maybe even rap. Not sure if I have all the answers on how to do this, but what I would like to think would happen is that they would maintain a larger audience through the life of the show. People tend to tune out if what they like is not represented. And I would like to see each singer be able to compete/perform in their genre instead of having to follow a theme that in no way represents who they are. And isn’t it the judges who are constantly telling these singers to “find out who they are!” Well, how can they do that on the show when, because of the themes, they are being judged week after week on performances that often show who they are “not?”

Now bear with me and my limited/no knowledge of how to produce a talent show, but maybe they can, from the very beginning auditions, select contestants based on the genres a contestant feels is his/her path. Allow them to work with mentors who specialize in particular genres and compete with song selections that allow them to showcase their talents in what they do best. This would allow for a show that would be filled with variety…a little jazz, a little country, etc. And maybe a contestant would be able to, if they so choose, switch it up, meaning they would be allowed to take a risk and jump one week into another genre….like a country singer wants to choose a song from the rock genre, etc. (Maybe the mentor would be allowed to disagree with the contestant’s genre path and direct them to a potentially better choice.)

I’m not sure how you would widdle this down to a cast of “Top 10″, but ultimately I would love to see a Top 10 that would allow the contestants to showcase a variety of music genres. And one that allows them to compete with song choices that represent them for the performer they, and hopefully the mentors as well, have determined is their vocal niche. I would also like to think that the competition would be a much tighter competition if the singers were competing with song choices they were more comfortable with and that better suited their vocal ability.

Regarding judging “my American Idol 2.0,” I’m not so sure of how this should be done, as I feel contestants in certain genres may have advantages with the long-time AI audience. Part of me thinks giving the judges some power with a scoring system, as done in DWTS, would even the playing field a little by allowing for the expert panel to give credit on technical performances, etc. But I believe that AI prides itself on allowing the winners to be determined soley by the viewing audience, which often times is very risky. Eventually, of course, in my American Idol 2.0, the genres/contestants would be voted off, but wouldn’t it be wonderful to watch a show that would offer us a little more excitement than what I’ve been watching this season? (Sorry, some great talent, but one more ballad may put me over the edge!) A show like Season 10 that had the final 4 consisting of a rocker, a jazz/old school vocalist, and country x 2, but not by my choice. And I think many will agree with me that even Season 10’s finale show would have been much better if it included a little less country and a little more jazz!

I feel that this season is destined for women in the finale, and although I would love to see one of these talented women become the winner, I’m honestly not sure that a Top 3 or finale show with all women will be as entertaining for me as having a guy/girl Top 3. But I guess that’s the risk of America’s vote, and the fact that we weren’t t given too many great male contestants to keep in the show (Devin excluded).

Either way, getting back to your question of “theme week ideas,” I will decline since I would prefer no theme weeks at all and would rather see for next season American Idol do a complete re-boot of the show from the ground up. American Idol 2.0 could be just what it needs to attract new and old viewers back. Are you listening Nygel?

13. Vetle says:

I hope they do Rock And Roll week again. From this list I would die to see them do P!nk. I also voted for The Lyric That Changed My Life, because that could give us a sense of their actual taste level in music. What kind of music actually speaks to them, and we could see if certain contestants are able to connect to the material. I think that could bring out a “Mad World” moment (which happens to be in my top 3 favorite songs of all time, the Gary Jules version that is, even before Adam sang it). Lastly I voted for mashups. It brings out something special, and the X Factor (UK at least) has had a lot of cool performances with mashups (Cher Lloyd comes to mind).

While I’m sick of the ballads, I do not fully support a no ballads week, actually. I think the show needs diversity in tempo every week so that everyone has a chance to stand out, sadly at the moment they are monotonous on the ballad side… so on the flip side. I would be ok with a no ballads week, but it all depends on what the uptempo songs available are.

BTW MICHAEL, a-ha is not a one-hit wonder. lol ‘murica.

14. QueenJ says:

Some good ideas here. One Hit Wonder could be fun. I like Girl in the title and Steal a Song would be interesting but unfortunately just lead up back to same crappy songs. I totally agree with you that dance and pop songs have some killer melodies that would be great rearranged but we all know Nigel would just turn it into Donna Summer/Disco week. Unplugged week would be great, I contend that the awful geriatric arrangements are killing the contestants just as much as theme and song choice. Never done on Idol is a good idea but maybe too broad.

Some of my ideas: why on earth has there not been a Fleetwood Mac week? U2 would be cool too if they ever got enough songs cleared, unlikely though. I don’t mind the 2010s, personal Idol and birth year week (especially since we are creeping to the mid 90s now). Instead of the tired Rock and Roll Hall of fame week why not ode to Woodstock, Coachella, Lollapalooza week?

15. QueenJ says:

Also, the solution to the boring ballads isn’t just to go uptempo because doing uptempo can very easily lead to a disastrous cheesy mess. It’s much more difficult to pull off a good vocal and command the stage well enough to sell it. The reason why they do ballads so much is because it’s much more complimentary for the contestants. I don’t trust Nigel to not turn uptempo songs into a dated big band frenetic mess. Better idea is “don’t perform the song as it was originally arranged” week. If the contestants want to prove they are not just karaoke cruise ship singers then prove you are an artist and take ownership over your song selection.

16. deedee says:

Excellent suggestions, especially “One Hit Wonders” and “Unplugged Night”. Really, is it SO hard for Nigel to come up with new themes in the 8 months off between seasons!? I’m telling you, he takes the viewers for granted like we’re his old ball ‘n chain battleaxe wife who he doesn’t need to woo anymore. :-|

17. Christina says:

I check all of the above to the suggested themes. I’m bored of the Beatles, and Motown themes. My personal suggestion is Love & Hate. It has to be when they are singing 2 songs. The first song is a love song, the second is a breakup/I hate you song.

18. Maria says:

Geography night: songs must be by a group that contains the name of a geographical location such as Chicago, Boston, Asia (remember them?), Miami Sound Machine, Atlanta Rhythm Section, etc…

• darcy's evil twin says:

Kansas, Alabama, Little Texas, Styx (yea, it’s fictional), Berlin, Manhattan Transfer, Nazareth (Oh yea, I’d love to hear someone sing “Hair of the Dog”, LOL), Black Oak Arkansas, Atlantic Starr (holy cow, where did THAT come from in my memory???), Ohio Players, Bay City Rollers (AAAHHHH – worse than Atlantic Starr!), Ozark Mountain Daredevils, the Kentucky Headhunters, Fountains of Wayne (named after a plumbing business?), Georgia Satellites, and the band whose music I hate more than any other – America!
      Fun!

19. Billie says:

1. 2000s (2000-2009)
    2. 2010s (2010-2013)
    3. 21st Century songbook (2000-2013)
    4. 90s’ RNB (This is for Motown replacement, come on I love me some Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton, Monica, and more!!! But please no Whitney-Mariah ‘in their prime’ ballads though. LOL)
    5. American Idol alumni music (Yes, including non-winners of the show. I’m not crazy I know they did this during Top 10 but this is for next season. And I’m referring to all their after-show singles. I mean there are lots to choose from Kelly, Fantasia, Carrie, Daughtry, Adam, or even on the more underrated ones!)
    6. Yes, I agree with 80s’ rock.
    7. MGM classics (This is Michael Slezak’s idea during he’s still on EW, replacing Big Band.)
    8. I agree as well with Dance Music night!
    9. Midtempo night
    10. As well as agreeing with Unplugged night!
    11. ‘All-original songs’ night (I’m not sure if all of them are songwriters, therefore Jimmy’s team might help them. I mean maybe prepare them already as early as 3 weeks before that theme night. Then heavily promote it for digital release and see who among them has the potential to make it big in after-show success!)
    12. Bring back Grand Ole Opry, (For a more definitive theme than country, I’m not a fan of that genre though.)
    13. I like ‘Personal Idols’ night back!
    14. ‘My personal anthem’ night

20. Mari says:

I pick the last one. Idology’s the best!!

21. Angela says:

I particularly loved the “Album Tracks” and “Musical Mashups” suggestions, but there’s a lot of great ones in here.
    And ’80s rock night would be worth watching for the potential hilarity, if nothing else :D.

22. Oh, I say it every year — I want an ABBA theme night.

• Harvey says:

They have a TON of good songs that could easily be performed in 90 seconds. Just ABBA Gold alone has enough songs for the whole cast.

Another artist who they’ve cleared a ton of songs from but never seem to use: Madonna!

They could also have a boy/girl band night, or a teen idol night like they were supposed to in season 9.

What about “Songs from Your Home State?”

Finally, it pains me to say it, but this group would really nail Adele Night. At least they’d be singing something current!

• Dayrah says:

ooh yeah I want an ABBA night too. When they did it on The X factor it was awesome! (UK X Factor, obv.)

23. Jenny says:

I voted for 80’s rock but would not allow power ballads. Don’t get me wrong, I have many an 80’s power ballad on my iPod and they are great. But if it is going to be rock than they need to rock out.

24. How about have contestant pick song for each other night?

• GMom says:

Now THAT could be interesting!! I wouldn’t mind a Big Band or oldies night. “Stuff Like That There” was one of Kelly’s best! And The Way You Look Tonight” was a good one for Kris. Of course, they would probably be new to these kids, except maybe for Candice.

• they can even name it Sabotage night!!!

25. marie says:

“Unplugged Night” – I’d really, really enjoy that!

26. jane says:

Considering it’s made a huge comeback this year, how about a Folk music night? I still would love to see a Led Zepplin night, or pick a song sung by the opposite gender. Some of the best idol moments have come from guys singing a girl’s tune. Or, let the fans vote for what they get to sing for one week.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Folk Music Night?
      Thanks for the warning, LOL.
      I believe many Idoloonies are familiar with my tale of woe about my husband’s former boss that had a reel to reel Joni Mitchell tape that went on forever…and ever…and ever. Everything Joni Mitchell ever sang in her life! Yuck.
      I do love me some Led Zeppelin, though. Haley Reinhart’s “What is and What Should Never Be” is my all-time favorite Idol performance.

• mia says:

I cannot stand Joni Mitchell either (to my dad’s constant chagrine), but don’t hate the entire folk genre based on one artist. Folk is wonderful, with incredibly diverse performers and topics and sounds – and its all very regional. Canadian east coast folk sounds *very* different than southern-US folk. There’s lots of great stuff in the genre.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t hate it – it’s just not my favorite. My husband likes the folk music, CSNY, Emerson/Lake&Palmer sound. And Jimmy Spheeris. ick.
          I love Rock and Roll!

• Dayrah says:

I like Folk music but I don’t think it fits with any of the contestants this year. It’d be awful to hear Lazaro, Candice, Amber, Burnell, and Devin try to do folk. Angie, Kree and that other country girl with the ridiculous accent might be able to pull it off, but it wouldn’t be worth it to see the others struggle with it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Country girl with the ridiculous accent? Some of us find the New York accent “ridiculous”. Go watch the movie “My Cousin Vinnie” to see the tables turned on accents. (“Your honor – deeze two yutes…”

Apparently you’ve never heard Emmylou Harris with her “ridiculous accent” sing folk music.

27. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Not bad suggestions on the 22 fresh list.

28. ninergrl6 says:

Any of the above choices would be better than what Idol keeps giving us.

I want a gender switch theme night. Guys have to sing songs made famous by female acts & vice versa. Those have been some of my all-time fave Idol performances (particularly David Cook’s Always Be My Baby and Casey James’ Don’t). They force girls to sing guys’ songs all the time (Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson) but they don’t do the reverse as often.

I’ve also always wanted a Bryan Adams night. The closest Idol got to that was the medley on the season 7 finale.

29. Joanna says:

How about music from Holland or the Netherlands. I’ve watched their versions of Idol and the X Factor and was very impressed and amazed at how well they perform songs in English by American and European artists and even more impressed at the the music
    written by Dutch artists and songwriters in English. The winner of the 2012 Dutch X Factor was a 19 year old by the name of Rochelle Perts. She is amazing and could easily
    be a front runner on this year’s Idol. They could also do a theme week of music from
    Australia, New Zealand and Canada of artists not well known in the United States.

My point is that I think they should look at music not just from the UK or the States and that they don’t have to be songs that are familiar to most Americans or even the judges. In fact I think it would better if the songs are judged by performances and not whether Randy, Mariah, Keith or Nicki have ever heard them before.

30. Miscellaneopolan says:

Wait, Devin’s the youngest? Huh. He’s been throwing me off by presenting himself as a 1950s crooner.

31. sdexta says:

I just wish they would have more themes that allowed for current music.

32. darcy's evil twin says:

Some great suggestions, Mr. Slezak. I personally like “Favorite Album Tracks” – that’s kind of how we ended up with Amber singing “She’s Leaving Home”. We might hear some interesting choices if any of these kids knows what an “album” is. ;-)
    “One Hit Wonders” could be fun – I’ve always liked that one.
    Please, no “Dance Music”, although I did enjoy the contestant this year that sang Rhianna’s “Only Girl in the World” slowly, and at the piano.
    “Glee” had a “Guilty Pleasures” theme this week and that could be fun. My personal guilty pleasures? Britney Spears’ “Baby One More Time” and anything by Barry Manilow.
    Have they ever had a “Chicago” night? Bob Seger? The Eagles? Yea, I know, older than dirt, but there’s some good music there.

33. Trouty Mouth says:

Australian Idol did a Pink night back in 2009. They also had a “pop to swing” theme one year where basically you pick a pop song and rearrange it for a big band.

Songs covered by Glee could be a good theme, (as long as no one does Against All Odds), and they could have one of the big emotional Glee numbers as their group number (Keep Holding On, Somebody To Love, Fix You, One, One of Us…but not Don’t Stop Believing because Idol did it in season 8).

I’d like the idea of “Rearrange a pop song” night – take a crappy pop song and make it good.

I’d also like a “Songs Of Australia” night. I might be biased, but we have a great music scene.

• teatime says:

I really like the idea of a night where they rearrange songs to a new genre! That would force them all to do something interesting. That could be a real great episode. I am not sure this is the best group for it. Maybe for this group they would need to take a song from any other genre and rearrange it to their own preferred genre of country, r&b, etc.

34. Adam Fachry says:

1. The Beach Boys Night
    2. Songs picked and coached by Idul alumni (winenrs or not)
    3. The world invasion (anything but american artists)
    4. Songs from CBGB’s and Studio 54 (when the contestants get the chance to perform two songs)
    5. Channeling your inner hipster week (lol, I know, so gimmicky. Basically, anything indie or underground)
    6. New Wave era
    7. TV theme Songs (if we could have songs from the movies, we’ve got to have the ones from tv as well)
    8. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (where you can find tons of underrated songs from big names)
    9. Phil Spector-produced songs (Idol loves the 60s. To see such a prominently huge name like Spector non-existent on this show, is a crime)
    10. Grunge week

35. Tahoe Mike says:

Grateful Dead Night!!
    ~
    Sing the whole damn song night. No ninety second hatchet jobs!
    ~
    Johnny Cash night.
    ~
    Chuck Berry night.

36. deedee says:

What about “Canadian Invasion Night”? Yes, you’d get one or two Celine numbers in there, but you could also get: Justin Bieber, The Guess Who, Bachman Joni Mitchell, Sarah McLachlan, Leonard Cohen, Carly Rae Jepsen, Bare Naked Ladies, Neil Young, Andy Kim, Paul Anka, Bryan Adams, KD Lang, Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morisette, Nickelback, … … …

• Dayrah says:

Isn’t Nickelback that band that everyone makes fun of as the worst band of all time? I swear I always hear people saying how awful they are

• deedee says:

Yup, that’s them! Everybody seems to hate them, and yet they’ve sold gazillions of albums. So, maybe they’d fit better in the “guilty pleasures” theme :) . Daughtry is sometimes called “Nickelback Lite”, and I think he even opened for them on tour once.

• teatime says:

Daughtry’s Home is 1000x better than anything they’ve ever done. Just sayin’.

• deedee says:

No argument from me! I like Daughtry’s sound a lot more than Chad Kroeger’s. The only Nickelback songs I actually enjoy are “How You Remind Me” and “Rockstar”.

• darcy's evil twin says:

didn’t Chad Kroeger write “No Suprise” for Chris Daughtry?

• Robin says:

I love Nickelback! Saw them at Hershey Park and omg…Daughtry opened up. That was 5 years ago. I also saw Daughtry on his own 2 years ago in Syracuse. I hardly think that they qualify as the worst band of all time…I can think of plenty others. Just my 2 cents.

37. I say let me go in there and choose what songs they sing.

38. Guitar Blue says:

They should should all do heavy metal………………………….spikes on their neck collars and moon boots, face paint and red flames on their black jackets.
    —————————-

Then on the group sing for elimination night, they should put-on some big hairy wigs, and sing “Werewolcves of London”.

39. Dayrah says:

All I have to say is…if they do another Stevie Wonder night I will scream.

40. Johnny says:

I think I can accept any proposed theme night other than ones that have been already done (even if done only once, scrap it). I mean its in its 12th season already you would think they understand if they come out with the same old stuff as ratings slip then they will lose even more people’s interest. i guess they had faith that the new judge drama would pull the show out so they filled the cast to fill their agenda of a certain type they want and now not changing the boring theme nights they already set.

41. Jess says:

Love the mention of the “Fantasy” dance remix! What about the “Anytime You Need A Friend” remix where a gospel ballad was turned into a house groove? And Mariah’s scatting on that owns.

42. Ray says:

Still waiting for Steely Dan Theme night…..”Drink that big black cow, and get out of here…”

43. CK says:

How about a show based on Brian Eno? In addition to his work while a member of Roxy Music and his solo career, he worked as a producer on some awesome music. He produced albums by many artists including U2, Talking Heads, Coldplay, and DEVO.

• Adam Fachry says:

Regarding Talking Heads and Devo, I think it’d be better if they make a New Wave theme since it is one of the most important music movements of all time, particularly in the 80s. I mean, come on this show needs more New Wave songs to be covered. The only closest one was Eurythmics’ Sweet Dreams on season 11 (and done horribly by a contestant whose name I forgot).

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

That would be cool. Surprisingly to some, I bet it would end up being one of the tougher goes for contestants though.

44. JW says:

Whatever the theme…Melinda Dolittle should mentor them.

45. forwarddad says:

They are all great ideas but again it comes down to clearance,

46. How about songs from The Voice, where contestants actually have good and interesting song choices.

47. Danny says:

I like the idea of an 80’s rock night. I see that not a lot agree w/ that though, as it had less than 5% of the vote. Someone above suggested Fleetwood Mac, which I love that idea.

That said, I don’t think any theme week would go over very well w/ this years group. I don’t think they could handle it. This years talent isn’t up to what the last few years were IMO. No one in this season would be better than #3 even in Season 9 behind Siobhan & Crystal.

There hasn’t been a song that had me thinking “wow!!” since Angela did her own song a month or so ago back before they were singing live. The top 5 girls here are pretty good, but none of them are great. I had thought the girls were going to be awesome collectively after the 2nd set of 10 sang back in the top 20 (top 40 overall). For whatever reason though, they’ve all tapered off some.

Last year from top 9 to top 4, there wasn’t a brutal song in the bunch. There were also a ton of extremely good ones. This year there’s been a smattering of pretty good ones, but nothing great.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah but the top vote getter only got like 10% so 5% ain’t bad, 80s rock was top half in the voting.

48. Joe Strummer says:

After watching Glee this morning, how about “Guilty Pleasures!!” I still think they should do a punk rock night or a grunge night.

49. James Bond Theme Songs Night!!!!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Candice = Goldfinger
      Amber? Angie(or might she get too squeaky and not have smooth power for it)?????? = For Your Eyes Only

• Songs selections:
      17. Tomorrow Never Dies by Sheryl Crow
      18. The World is Not Enough by Garbage
      19. Die Another Day by Madonna
      20. You Know My Name by Chris Cornell
      21. Another Way to Die by Jack White and Alicia Keys and
      22. Skyfall by Adele

those are just the main theme songs, throw in
      23. Where Have Everybody Gone by The Pretenders,
      24. If You Ask Me To by Patti LaBelle and
      25. Surrender by k.d. lang

Granted not every song is worth covering (I’m looking at you, Madonna, whoever pick that song better be ready to get voted off), but it covers many genres and different artists. And it’s 50 years of Bond!!!