Exclusive

Big Bang Theory Exclusive: Bob Newhart to Guest Star as Sheldon's [Spoiler]

Bob Newhart The Big Bang Theory Season 6Marking his first half-hour sitcom appearance in nearly a decade, comedy legend Bob Newhart will guest star on The Big Bang Theory this May, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Big Bang Scoop: Sheldon’s Latest Ailment — Unfinishedbusinessphobia!

The six-time Emmy nominated star of The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart will play “Professor Proton,” the former host of Sheldon’s favorite science show as a kid. (We will come to learn that the Professor played a big part in the childhoods of both Sheldon and Leonard.)

According to a BBT source, Sheldon tracks his idol down online and discovers that he can be hired out for parties and events. Naturally, Sheldon books him to come to their house.

RELATED | Is Simon Helberg Big Bang Theory‘s Best-Kept Secret?

The episode is slated to air on Thursday, May 2.

Big Bang Theory returns with its next original episode on Thursday, April 4.

1. Grace says:

So much fun, Newhart was wonderful in NCIS! He should be Sheldon’s Dad though, it would explain so much :) But I’ll take any Bob Newhart I can get.

2. suzi says:

This sounds wonderful. Newhart is very funny, especially his reactions, and he’d certainly have a lot to react to.

3. Kate says:

OK I started making silly excited noises just clicking on the link. Love Bob Newhart!

4. Gerald says:

Bob is brilliant. I am sure his character will do a number on Sheldon. Can’t WAIT!!!!!

5. Daniel says:

Oh man, I can’t wait for this episode, remember how Sheldon was when he met Stephen Hawking? all the things he did and all the excitement, can’t wait to see that in Leonard now. They are both going to go crazy, specially that he booked him to go to his house. I really wish I had autographs of the cast though :( living in Australia no way to meet this fantastic bunch of people.

6. robinepowell says:

Now this is a guest star!! While I wouldn’t have thought to have Bob Newhart as a guest star, this legendary actor should bring in the ratings. I can’t wait to watch!

7. Seth says:

Hope Bob’s part is enough to score him a guest performance Emmy. He’s long overdue for that award!

8. TV Gord says:

My mind is blown by this casting. The thought of Sheldon in scenes with Newhart’s classic style…I think I’ll be laughing harder at the silences than the lines!!!

9. Doug says:

The only thing better would be Professor Proton or Sheldon dissing “that young upstart” Bill Nye the science guy, and then have Nye show up at the end tag.

10. Stan says:

Big BOB on Big Bang? Wonderful! Make him a semi-regular as Sheldon’s mentor. Bob in front of a live audience with smart funny dialogue? What could be better?

• Ashley says:

Love big bang funniest show on right now. when did they mention sheldon’s dad is dead? i don’t think i’ve heard him EVER talk about him maybe i missed that ep. Anyhow wonder if sheldon let’s BOB sit at his spot on the couch since he loves that spot soooooo F-in much LOL!

• Laura says:

It’s been referenced 2 or 3 times…in the episode with Sheldon’s sister and in a couple of the episodes with his mom.

• Mark Seay says:

In the episode in which Raj receives the award from People Magazine, Sheldon is quoted as saying his sister once gave their father a Worlds Greatest Dad coffee mug and “frankly, the man coasted until the day he died”. Also, in the episode in which Sheldon’s mother takes him to the university to get his job back from Dr. Gablehauser, when she introduces herself to him she mentions Sheldon’s father is dead and later in the episode Shledon asks if Dr. Gablehauser is going to be his new daddy.

11. Mike Breslin says:

Note to Mr. Lorre:
    End segment, Professor Proton wakes up and the whole Big Bang episode was just a dream. I know, done before… Classic, genius television!

12. Ana Bastow says:

Why do I get the feeling that this will be a “No one likes science anymore I’m a failure” from professor Proton until Sheldon shows him how he inspired him to become a scientist?

13. ByronAlways says:

I want a new opus of the librarian ( a better than the last)

14. ByronAlways says:

With bob newhart like teacher, Penny will finally understand the Leonard’s work.

15. ByronAlways says:

I want the return of DJ Quallss

16. ByronAlways says:

Stuart is a recurring or a main character this half-season.

17. tcprdr321 says:

The only thing better than Bob Newhart would be Betty White guest starring as Sheldon’s “Meemaw!”

18. c burton hannum says:

Newhart is the greatest comedian, ever. It would be historic just to be a fly on the wall in the taping as most of Newharts comedy couldn’t be aired as most of us would be laying on the floor crapping our pants laughing.

19. Guy says:

Somebody needs to recognize the exceptional writing on BBT. “I swear to cow!” was genius.

20. Stephen Kennedy says:

Bob N is an icon worthy of a guest appearance, a starring role, a role as a star, or the star of the universe. Cannot wait for this. But according to physics – I think I have to….

21. David Phelps says:

Disney has been coming up with the best comedy writers, stars and program directors than any other network for years…….Utill now. Hiring Bob Newhart shows me someone in other networks woke up.

22. Jerret says:

Pretty predictable they’re going to make him an actor, and he’s not going to be the scientist Sheldon wants him to be… Penny will be smarter than him, and it’s going to destroy Sheldon.

23. I just couldn’t depart your web site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual info a person supply in your guests? Is gonna be back ceaselessly to inspect new posts