Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Supernatural, Once, Smash, Grimm, Grey's, NCIS: LA and More

Supernatural Grimm SpoilersWhat tribulations (if not Trials) await Supernatural‘s Dean? What’s the story behind Smash‘s controversial coupling? What’s the status of Grimm‘s big, bad mother? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Smash | We lead off this week with the answer to a musical mystery — namely, why is Karen Cartwright giving moody newbie Jimmy the time of day? “I know that some people have said that they find Jimmy sort of unlikable,” showrunner Josh Safran acknowledges. “Our goal was to create a complicated character that pushes everybody away that he cares about, and acts out, and is a little bit of sort of loud and reactionary. The journey for him this season is coming to grips with who he is and trying to let people in, much like Billy Bigelow [in the musical Carousel] — and hopefully people who stayed with the show will see Jimmy learn his lessons and crack open.” As for the way the wannabe Hit-maker treats Ms. Cartwright, Safran notes, “I don’t think it’s specific to Karen” but simply the way he is with everyone. “Right now, she’s sticking around because she finds him incredibly talented, and she’s drawn to him.” That said, “She knows he’s very clearly not a healthy individual, and that comes in to sharp focus very soon.”

RELATED | Smash Boss ‘Saddened’ By Saturday Move, Says Season Is Building to Series Finale

Grey’s Anatomy | Just a quick casting nugget: If you are an All My Children fan of any duration, KYLE SILVERSTEIN, KEVIN MCKIDD dahling, know that grande dame Jennifer Bassey (aka Marion Colby Chandler) is set to guest-star in two episodes (starting with No. 21) as the grandmother of a little boy whose parents are both critically injured in an accident. (Owen takes said lad “under his wing” during the difficult time, at least until Grams arrives. Hmm….)

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Sarah Drew on April’s Forged V-Card and Hearting Jackson

And now, diving into the reader mailbag….

Will we ever get a glimpse of Deeks’ childhood on NCIS: LA? Or of his mother? –Laura
“Yes,” show boss Shane Brennan answers, “but not this season. Next season we’re going to learn more about Deeks, including some insights into his past, his relationship with Kensi and his future with NCIS.”

Any news on what Supernatural‘s Dean will be doing while Sam is dealing with the Trials? –Sue
I turned your query over to exec producer Jeremy Carver, and his response was: “I can’t say much about the Trials, but when it comes to what might be in store for Dean, I have one word: Tron.” (Could that be, as I suspect, a reference to a certain casting notice that circulated last month?)

RELATED | Supernatural Scoop: Misha Collins to Return as Series Regular for Season 9

Do you have any news on when Nick’s mother (played by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) will show back up on Grimm? –Amanda
I do not — and apparently I am in the best of company in that respect. “Truth be told, we have absolutely no idea,” the NBC drama’s producers say in a statement to Inside Line. “Hopefully next season!!”

There’s conflicting information out there about whether or not the whole cast of The Vampire Diaries has been filming scenes in New Orleans for the back-door pilot episode, or if it’s just the Originals cast. Can you confirm which one is true? – Audrey
I am assured that TVD regulars definitely appear in the planted pilot, but the exact and complete RSVP list is a well-guarded secret – including who appears in New Orleans, in Mystic Falls or in both settings.

I’m waiting for Alfred Molina’s character to get called to the podium on Monday Mornings. Who would be able to do that, though? –TP
Will the officious Dr. Hooten ever himself be the target of an M&M grilling? Jennifer Finnigan aka Dr. Tina Ridgeway notes that in exec producer Dr. Sanjay Gupta’s book, that twist does take place, “But in Season 1 [of the TNT show], no.” As for who would put the screws to Hooten in such a sitch, Finngan says that in the novel, “[Dr. Sydney Napur] is actually vying to replace him when he retires. So who knows if that’ll be a twist for Season 2?” Short of Hooten being summoned to his own 311, Finnigan reveals, “In the season finale (airing April 8), he is challenged. The doctors stand up to him and really question him.”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spin-Off Update: Who Should Play Wonderland’s Alice?

Now that Mr. Gold is alive and well on Once Upon a Time, what will happen to the relationship between him and Neal? –Margena
“Gold, he’s such a flawed character, so he’s trying to do the right thing but he doesn’t really know how,” says Robert Carlyle. Meaning, above and beyond that wacky offer to turn Neal into a teenager again, “He doesn’t know how to take that further, so it’s going to take a while to get any kind of resolution on that. But in Episode 21 or 22, something happens which changes [their relationship] forever.” For the better…? “Maybe,” Carlyle teases.

Once Upon a Time fans were given a hint about a connection between Neal and Hook in Neverland. Do you have any scoop about what their history might be? –Stef
For now, I’ll just say that one particular rumor making rounds as of late absolutely will not pan out.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and maybe it’ll get love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Dilys says:

Thanks for the SPN scoop. I hope whatever Dean is doing he has more amazing scenes with Cas. What a powerful moment in last night’s episode. Love the chemistry Misha and Jensen have. More Dean and Cas scenes!

• Minion says:

^This^ ^This^ ^This^

I’d love to see more of Dean, Cas, AND Sam working together though. They’re my favorite team and I love all three of them dearly. J2M are the best trio of actors ever.

• mia says:

Dean/Cas forever!!!

• Yeah, I love Misha. I’m so glad he is a series regular next season. That being said, if this show doesn’t stop killing off every single character that has any kind of background with the boys I’m going to get super pissed. Meg was my favorite demon. I liked her better than Ruby and now she is dead and the only characters with any kind of significant history with the boys that are still alive are Crowley, Cass, God (Chuck) and Lisa and Ben. Not a whole lot of emotional connection there to play with producers.

2. Al says:

I just hope it’ doesn’t mean something bad for Dean or Sam. Or for Dean and Sam.

3. Ava says:

Haha. Safran saying Jimmy is “sort of unlikeable” – understatement anyone? No wonder this show is about to be cancelled. If he can’t acknowledge the show’s faults, there is no chance of it improving. Such a shame. Smash was one of my favorite shows until he destroyed it.

• Nick says:

It’s like they switched out Ellis for someone just as unlikable, albeit in a different way…so much for fixing last seasons issues.

• Julia says:

Yeah, I agree. Bringing in Jimmy, in my opinion, was the producers last chance improving the show’s ratings -and they bungled it. He was too extreme and not made to be likable. If they ever had a chance in pulling in a younger demo -there had to be something in the character that women would gravitate towards. Seriously, when will producers get that through their heads. Women like empowered women and their stories but they do watch more for the attractive guys.

• dan says:

I agree with all of the above. Jimmy is like a worse version of Ellis, because he drags down Karen’s character too, and she had enough trouble winning Team Ivy over from last season. I hate to say he was miscast, but somehow Jack Davenport can make Derek a likable character, even though he has flaws.

The only time Jimmy works is when he’s singing, so at least there’s that.

• Sable says:

I enjoy Smash, but to compare Jimmy to [I]Carousel’s{/I] iconic Billy Bigelow is just ludicrous. I’ve seen Billy played by several actors, the best ever was John Raitt, and Jimmy is just pathetic in comparison. If that’s what the show was attempting, they missed by a mile.

• Sebastian says:

Ava, I have been saying this for weeks. If Safran cant admit his failings, then there is no hope for the show. Period. SMASH was a highlight for me, now its just cause for sadness. Im back to Glee.
      PS. Jimmy has been played as so unlikeable, you dont even root for him. IN fact, you root against him.

4. So now Owen will bring the adoption subject and they’ll fight again. Then he’ll forgive her but then will decide that he can’t and they’ll break up again. But he realizes she’ll never come around because she doesn’t want to have kids, so he forgets the subject. Then another tragedy kills Owen and Cristina founds out she’s pregnant and keeps the baby.
    hahaha ok no. That would be horrible and boring.

5. Rob says:

Thanks Matt! “One rumor will not pan out” So Neal is not Peter Pan. Thank god.

• lll says:

I agree. They are already in the works of casting someone who has ‘Peter Pan qualities.’ (a leader of a group of boys) so I believe Neal is a ‘Lost Boy’ but not Peter Pan.

• Elly says:

I wonder if the “change forever” is Neal finding out his father killed his mother?

Since Neal isn’t Peter Pan….maybe his fiancée is Tinkerbell looking for Peter?

• Sam says:

I hope so, I hate the fact that Runple killed Milah, and there hasn’t been any repercussions, I’m no Hook fan, but Milah may have left Rumple and Bae, but rumple still killed her.

• kavyn says:

You mean Rufio? Peter Pan still existed in that movie though. I still think Bae is involved with Neverland, even if he isn’t Peter Pan.

I hope they get Dante Basco to play the role (again). He did such a good job in the movie and I’m such a fan of The Last Airbender, that I’d love to see him reprise his role in a different setting.

• Mike says:

For a second, I thought you said you like the last airbender movie, but I forgot who was Dante basco, I agree with everything you said though.

• kavyn says:

No lol, the tv series. I was going to say Avatar but then I didn’t want to get that confused with that other movie. Confusing stuff, eh? :P

• Heather says:

I feel the same way. The thought of Neal being Peter Pan made me sick to my stomach. I just do not like Neal very much at this point. I can definitely handle him being a lost boy though.

• Mike says:

I actually like Neal, but It makes more sense for him to be a lost boy.

• Melinda says:

He will be a lost boy. The obvious pun was quite settling. I would have hated if Neal was Peter too.

• Ann says:

I really like Neal but I’m okay with him not having the weight of a preexisting character on him. He Emma and Henry are fairly unique in that respect on this show

• Anna says:

Yeah, I like that if/when Peter shows up, he’ll be his own character with his own backstory. Neal doesn’t need to inherit his dad’s tendency to become every character.

• Kvivik says:

I’m pretty sure Neal will be Tootles, Peter’s righthand man in the Lost Boys. So when Peter does appear, he’ll have an ally already present in town.

6. Kay says:

Exciting scoop for Supernatural! Looks like Dean will have something going with Metatron! :) I’ve been waiting for the last three episodes forever!

• strangelove says:

I don’t think it’s Metatron. Neither Carver nor Singer will give Dean something that important. Only Sam gets the story, and Dean? He gets to carry Sam, again, still, once more even after 7 years of the same story of special Sam and Dean his faithful servant played over and over.

I think what Carver may be referring to is Tron the game, and probably a filler episode about video games. After all, he needs to keep dangling carrots in front of Dean fans to get them to watch now that we know Dean is nothing more than Sam’s faithful servant, again, still.

What a waste of talent. Jensen deserves better and so do the Dean fans, but Carver, Singer and none of the writers really seem to care about the Dean fans. All they want is the ratings.

• Elisa says:

I hate to sound rude but that’s so stupid. Dean gets plenty of story. Jensen gets all the best lines, I don’t see how he is being wasted.
        Dean killed Yellow Eyes, Dean made a deal to save Sam. He got sent to hell and resurrected by an angel because God commanded it. He went to Purgatory after killing Dick Roman. The list goes on. Maybe Dean’s motivation is Sammy but its been clearly shown throughout the show that that is Dean’s character. When they went to heaven that time and we’re experiencing their fondest memories, they showed Dean comforting his mother when he was young and Sam says to him, “I never realized how long you have been cleaning up Dad’s messes” That is so telling into who Dean is, he feels like its his responsibility to protect his family, that’s why everything he does is self sacrificing and seemingly to prop others. He has this martyr complex.
        I love both brothers and actors, it’s not fair to compare them.
        And if all they wanted was ratings then they’re not doing the best job lol I adore this show but ratings isn’t their concern, and I for one am grateful for it.

• strangeworld says:

Sam killed Alistair, jumped into the big plot hole with Lucifer and Michael and is now the chosen one for the trials and to close the gates of hell. So as far as I’m concerned, Sam’s gotten just as much of the big hero moments and they actually counted. Outside of killing the YED what has Dean done lately. Kill Dick and go to purgatory? A story that was barely told and then dropped?

Dean being there for Sam while Sam is never there for Dean makes Sam look like the selfish ass that he is, but it still doesn’t give Dean any important role except to wipe Sam’s nose. Dean deserves better than to be Sam’s constant supporting companion. Especially since Sam is never there for Dean unless he gets something out of it.

And yes, ratings do count since even the big head cheese told SPN they needed to get the ratings up if they wanted a renewal. All they had to do is get rid of Samelia to do that.

• Elisa says:

Obviously ratings matter, my point was that they aren’t telling a story just for the sake of drawing a crowd, they tell a good story and the ratings are subsequent. (Minus the Lisa and Ben crap, but that’s another conversation lol)
            You can argue Dean being supporting to Sam but that’s the worst angle to view it from. I see an amazing brother always having his younger brother’s back, even when its seemingly not reciprocated. Dean doesn’t always have to be involved in something epic and apocalyptic to matter.
            Geez, you almost sound like a jealous sibling. Sometimes in life others get more than we do, it’s not the end of the world lol

7. JA says:

Great NCIS: LA news! I love Deeks, and I’m excited that we’re getting to see more about him. He and Kensi have great chemistry, and I really hope that their partnership keeps moving forward. I would hate to see the writers break the pair up. I’d love a romantic endgame, but I like the pace they’re going now and I’d much rather see them as best friends with potential than lovers who don’t work out.

• Zorkel567 says:

This all the way. Though i wouldn’t mind seeing a potential relationship form between them before the show ens.

8. Grace says:

“…absolutely will not pan out.” Pun intended?

9. strachpa says:

I just wanna punch Jimmy in the face

10. Eve says:

Not Pan out!!! Love that pun!!

11. Diana says:

Thanks for the Supernatural spoiler scoop! I love the idea of Dean actually having something to do with Metatron. If Sam’s going to be the one doing the trials and closing hell’s gates, Dean dealing with Heaven seems very apropos.

12. Joanie says:

A Dean spoiler! Yay! I hope this means Dean will deal with “Tron” *wink, wink* into season 9 as well.

13. Gadfly says:

I’m not sure what Carver is hinting at for Dean with the “Tron” reference but I am intrigued. And happy to think that there might finally be a story line looming for Dean. Thanks for the spoiler!

14. hmm says:

ugh, this is why safran is a terrible writer and showrunner. what he says here makes sense (especially since conflicted, guarded characters can be so popular) but that’s not what’s being written on the show! the problem (at least for me) isn’t that jimmy is a jerk, it’s that there are never any consequences for it! he runs his mouth off and continually gets rewarded for it.

audiences can deal with an unpleasant character, as long the show treats them like such. from watching “smash”, you would have no idea that the writers even knew that jimmy was a jerk or a drug addict.

• Liana in San Diego says:

Totally agree. The writers so desperately want us to like Jimmy somehow that they keep patting him on the back when he acts out. I’m soooo done with Jimmy!

15. Renee says:

Aww. I wanted to see Mama Grimm back sooner not later.

16. Casey says:

“sort of unlikable” is understatement. I’m not a fan of the “bad boy with a chip on his shoulder” type to begin with, but Jimmy’s just awful and whiny; and I’m kind of annoyed Karen ends up hooking up with him (as spoiled in one of their promos). Especially since I’ve liked the Derek/Karen dynamic they’ve set up this season.

17. quang says:

Safran is wrong about Jimmy. That dude isn’t complicated, he’s aggressively one-note. Not even a sad backstory can redeem him. His story with Karen is the flattest depiction of good girl + bad boy that I’ve ever seen on TV.

• Mikey says:

Totally agree….and if there is a sad backstory, they’ve waited too long to bring it out! It’s been hinted at and the one time he got a beating from (who was that man anyway…his dad?) nothing else was ever said….Now we all dislike Jimmy so much, he’s beyond redemption. If there was a season 3 it would probably focus on Jimmy smacking Karen (oh, yeah I can see him doing that)
      Josh Safran has totally destroyed Smash….I hope HE’S happy.

18. Clem says:

What is this? A spoiler, however faint, about Dean Winchester possibly having something to do?(The guy’s supposed to be pretty much the best hunter on the planet, kind of a waste of his intelligence and abilities to have him doing nothing but wringing his hands all the time).

I don’t know if Tron means Metatron(though it’s funny because Jensen Ackles did voice work in a Tron video game a couple of years:)), but it sure will be nice if Dean has his own unique role to play, instead of just being everyone else’s chauffeur and cheerleader.

I do hope it’s more than them simply having a filler episode based on Tron.

19. Moe says:

Thanks for asking a Dean question of Carver, Matt! Much appreciated! He’s like the forgotten character on that show, and it’s frustrating seeing all of the other characters talked about more than he is. I would seriously love for Dean to get his own story, instead of just supporting everyone else in theirs! But after these past few episodes and Dean being labeled Sam’s “manservant/sidekick,” I just can’t have it in me to hope for much. Hopefully, this Tron thing will turn out to be something good, but until we start hearing about it all the time like we do about Sam’s trials and his health, and Castiel’s brain-washing and his angel tablet, I’ll believe it.

• LJ says:

This is where I’m at too and why I didn’t bother to watch last night’s episode. I’ve finally given up on believing that Dean will ever be treated as equally important to the big storylines as Sam or even Cas. I used to love how protective Dean was and how big his heart was for the people who he loved. But I don’t feel like they give him the same level of affection or trust, so now I feel like the writers have made him a chump. Sam still hasn’t shown an iota of regret for leaving Dean to rot in purgatory for a year. But he’s spent the entire season whining about his married ex. It makes me sad to give up on the a character, but I feel like the writers have been trying to degrade Dean’s popularity for years and they’ve finally succeeded where I am concerned. However, instead of making me like Sam more, it’s made me quit the show. Good work Supernatural Braintrust. You work real hard to earn your paychecks.

• strangeworld says:

I find it amazing how much Sam’s self-love will always trump his love for anyone else. Sam truly is his own hero and legend.

• Michelle says:

I swear sometimes I feel like I’m watching a completely different show then the rest of you. I love both Sam and Dean but for years (and especially this season) it’s felt like I’ve been watching the Dean show. Seeing as he is always seen as right and Sam is always wrong, he gets the major story lines such as purgatory while Sam gets lame ones, and he gets to make connections with the other characters on the show while Sam stands behind him and keeps to himself. Clearly you guys aren’t watching this show correctly lol… Please stop with the Sam hate and the “Dean is a poor baby” mentality.

20. Liana in San Diego says:

I find Jimmy is a narcissistic, self-indulgent idiot and the reason Karen is attracted to him is that she has so little self-respect that she goes for the men that will abuse her (witness Dev). Could these two be more stereotypical? But personally I’d like to see the writers stop rewarding Jimmy for every little thing he does. I can’t see what the “great” talent is that everyone is attracted to… the songs are boring, there is no script to speak of… so what “hit” are we talking about? This show has gone downhill and doesn’t seem to know how to right itself at all. So disappointed. It showed great promise. Sadly, Jack Davenport is totally wasted. Give that man a decent show to be in… he’s wonderful and such eye candy!

21. kate says:

pretty excited about the rest of this upcoming season on Supernatural. the fact that the spoiler for Dean is “Tron” only makes it more intriguing.

• strangeworld says:

Tron is the video game that Charlie is going to be involved in. This show doesn’t recognize Dean as an equal player, so therefore he gets a few crumbs while Sam gets the stories that count. Carver is using it to get the Dean fans to watch just so he can tell his story about the special snowflake poor wounded baby bird Sam.

• kate says:

I am entirely uninterested in listening to the ongoing whinging of “Dean fans.” If you hate the stories they give/don’t give Dean, stop watching. I don’t know what else to tell you.

22. Leslie says:

Captain Hook is Peter Pan as well, just watch.

Just like Rumple is also The Beast and Red is the Wolf.

23. Jamie says:

I totally think this means Hook is likely to be Peter Pan especially since we won’t find out his background till S3.

• Mike says:

He can’t be Hook and Peter Pan, it’s just not going to happen.

• Amanda says:

I agree that Hook is very likely to be Peter Pan as well.

Watching episode 4 Hook knew about Neverland even before Milah was in the picture that to me was a hint that he has been there before. In his youth when he was Killian Jones he went to Neverland and became Peter Pan.

As for people thinking he can’t be Pan, I suggest you guys read the following.

In the Pan novel Hook symbolizes Hook’s adulthood and in the end Pan dawns the captains hat and the JR officially accepting his journey to an adult which is then explored in the sequel where he LITERALLY becomes Captain Hook.

Hook in most adaptations is a representation of Pan as an adult, and it’s even referenced in the movie Hook. Peter became a pirate.

At Paleyfest they also confirmed that someone we have met is going to be another famous face and this was after they talked about Neverland.

I definitely believe that in his youth Killian Jones was Peter Pan.

24. Unbeliever says:

Seriously, Carver, if you want Dean fans to keep watching, you should’ve said something about full blown mytharc and not throw a crumb like that.

• Carrie says:

I’m a Dean fan and I’m happy to continue to watch this awesome show. I’m not sure what people mean about Dean being the forgotten character or the one on the sidelines. I’ve watched every single episode since the beginning, and it seems to me that Dean has more screen time than anyone. He’s had plenty of huge storylines. He was Michael’s vessel, he went to hell and purgatory. He’s usually the one who gets to go back in time or to the future. He’s even had closer/deeper relationships with other important characters, like John, Mary, Cas and Bobby, than Sam has. A lot of the season finales have hinged on his whereabouts and whether he lived or died. Dean is in no way a background character.

• Sara says:

He was never Michael’s vessel. It was only teased and the role was actually given to two guest actors. He did go to Purgatory and Hell, but other characters, who also went to those places, were given twice the focus that Dean’s time there was-and two of them were only recurring characters! He hasn’t had plenty of huge sls. He’s been given episodes here and there(and Jensen Ackles made the most of them because JA is great like that)while everyone else-and again, even just recurring characters get big season-long arcs. He is given the closer/deeper relationships because he hasn’t been allowed to be the sole center of a big season-long arc since S3. It’s time for a change and for Jensen(and Dean) to be rewarded for being everyone’s support system. How about having Sam be solely Dean’s support system in a big season-long story arc for once-and nope, S3 doesn’t even count there because Sam had his secret demon girlfriend sl and the Rising Boy King of Hell sl, also, at that time.
        I sure hope this Tron business IS about Dean, but I feel like it will more likely be the same as his big meeting and scene with Death in S5-All About Sam and Dean having to stand aside so that Sam could be the big action hero, all by himself, and save the world. Bah. Show us the money, Carver. We’re tired of empty words and teases.

• lady edith says:

How about Sam getting a profound bound with Castiel and Benny and just about every guest star that pops up?

• Sara says:

As long as all Sam does is worry over Dean and talk about Dean with all those other characters; and then Dean gets to be the Big Action Hero(all by himself) of the main myth-arc in the end while Sam looks on after being beat to a pulp by a possessed Dean; AND Dean gets to treat Sam like crap for half a season and then, as a topper gets the same type of whitewash for his behavior-meaning SAM has to apologize and admit that everything Dean did was really Sam’s fault and that he’s jealous of Dean for being so awesome, then fine. Bring it.

• CG says:

This keeps coming up again and again…screentime does NOT equal storyline. Characters that are only in a few episodes have more of a storyline than Dean, Dean may be present but he is not actually involved beyond watching and worrying the others. I couldn’t care less about screentime, just so long as the writers come up with a PLOT that means Dean plays a special role in all of this . This is about PLOT! Not screentime.

• LJ says:

Dean is totally the sidekick/servant now. From what I’ve read, the show all but confirmed it by telling us he was Samwise to Mr. Frodo the chosen snowflake.

Mind you, I’ve always imagined Sam to be more like the ring than anything. I can just imagine Kripke, Singer and Gamble all fondling pictures of Sam and crooning “my pwecious.” LOL!

• CG says:

Hugely appreciate that we’ve finally got a spoiler, thanks for that. Only time will tell if it means anything, but I think there’s already a pool on whether or not Metatron is the new Death, and he’ll simply tell Dean to step aside and let Sam do the Trials a la Death at the end of season 5. I would love for it to be more. I would LOVE for Metatron to tell Dean something about Dean, that he has a purpose that is worthy of his hunter status, and isn’t just worrying about everyone else. I would be over the moon if they bring back the fact that Dean is the Michael sword, making up for the end of season 5.

• andrina says:

Again, why do you think you speak for all Deanfans?

25. A.B. says:

I still don’t think Hook is Peter Pan that’s just a big stretch. However it would fit in with their Ruby/Wolf and Rumple/Beast theme. It’s still to hard to see. But Neal not beign Peter is good cause I didn’t want Henry’s dad beign the boy who never wanted to grow up. I wanted Bea to be like a Robin Hood.

26. Diane says:

I was one of the few who liked Ellis as a villian. I didn’t think he needed to be fixed. I stopped watching after the second episode of this season. Didn’t like the new kid and most of the characters lost their spark.

Happy to read that Deeks may get more backstory on NCISLA too.

27. TVDIVA says:

I strongly believe Neal/Bae was a Lost Boy, but NOT Peter Pan. What I want to know is when Neal/Bae will find out that Rumple killed his mother. And does he learn it from Hook or Rumpel?

• A.B. says:

Probably Hook. Once Hook learns Neal is Bea he will tell him if he knows that his father killed his mother. That’s not going to be nice scence. It will another blow to Rumple which would be exactly what Hook wants. Can’t kill him but he can destroy his chances at happiness. Maybe he will even try to hook up with Belle as another way to stick it to him.

28. PFitzDC says:

Hey Matt! How come you and Michael never have any teasers or hints about Game of Thrones?

• Danyelle says:

Probably, from what I see on boards, because when any reporter ever tries to “tease” GoT, the people who have read the books show up to mock the writer for trying and then spoil everything themselves.

29. tp says:

Thanks for answering my comment/question Matt!

30. Jessa says:

Seriously? Billy Bigelow in “Carousel” was an abusive drunk who beat his wife. THAT’S who we’re modeling Karen’s love interest after? And you’re confused why people vehemently hate Jimmy’s character? Wow, Josh Safran. I’ve completely lost any respect for you.

• Paula says:

MTE! I was about to post that very thing about Billy Bigelow. He also hit his daughter (as a ghost) so he obviously didn’t learn anything even in death. That’s why I’ve only watched Carousel once. Even though it has great music, I can’t watch a musical that celebrates spouse and child abuse. This does not inspire me to feel any sympathy for Jimmy.

31. Man you know your deprived of Dean spoilers when one word gets Dean fans excited. It’s kinda sad that it would take so little to make us happy and we usually don’t even get that.

32. BennyFan says:

I just can’t get excited about this Dean spoiler. We’ve had too many teases that turned out to be empty promises.

There is an episode called PacMan Fever (ep 20) that has Charlie in it so Tron could literally be the video game Tron. There was a rumor that a djinn was in this episode so its possible Dean ends up in a video game world or something. One episode does not make a storyline.

I also remember when the show hyped this big meeting Dean had with Death in season 5. Sera Gamble even called it her favorite scene. In the end, it was just Death telling Dean he was bacterium and the best way to help was to stay out of Sam’s way. So even if it is Metatron I’m expecting something similiar. This seems like damage control for those that were unhappy over Dean being referred to as Samwise.

As for screen time, I’d take Dean being only half the episodes if it meant he had a proactive storyline rather than him standing around in every episode just wrining his hands over the chosen snowflake.

• Dee says:

Wow, talk about missing the forest for the trees.

That Dean and Death scene is brilliant. All of the Dean and Death scenes were amazing. It wasn’t about what they talked about, it was their interaction, their word choices. The fact that Dean was palpably scared witless. Death was smooth and sophisticated and a total bad-a**.

Jensen was incredible in the scene and the “Death” actor, (I want to say Alan Ritchings?) was menacing.

They could have recited the dictionary and it would have been awesome.

• robinhelene says:

Dee, you are so right–Dean’s scene with Death was fantastic, with Jensen’s acting mesmerizing. You could FEEL his terror over facing Death, the latter cutting him a slice of pizza, telling him not to interfere when Sam jumped into the cage with Lucifer. Dean had to promise to do Death’s bidding, all the while knowing he would have to lie, and it was all he could do to swallow that piece of Chicago’s deep-dish! It was an incredible scene, brilliantly played by both actors.

• LJ says:

It was a brilliantly acted scene and as you said, designed to completely marginalize Dean from the main storyline. He was literally told to stay out of it and that’s pretty much what he did. How is that the role of a lead character?

• LJ says:

LOL! Who is really missing the forest for the trees?

Great acting doesn’t equate with good or even mediocre writing and it certainly doesn’t mean the character matters to the story. Especially when he and the audience are specifically told that he doesn’t and that his role is to stay out of the way so the real hero can get all the glory.

Also being the more interesting character because you are played by the far superior actor does not mean that character is the show’s lead. There are dozens of shows where the main character is far less interesting than the side characters, but that doesn’t diminish his/her central place in the story.

• Agreed, like a thousand times. Dean and Death scenes are my favorites. Like when they decide to bind Death so they can kill Cass and Dean brings him pickle chips to make him less pissed off. They are binding Death and Dean still looks ready to wet himself. Those two in a scene are all kinds of funny. I think it’s the best acting I’ve seen jensen do.

33. strangelove says:

Thanks for the scoop on Dean. I would feel better if I didn’t feel that Carver is trying to throw the Dean fans a bone since he’s made it quite clear that Dean isn’t a lead anymore, but just a guest character there to serve on the alter of the special snowflake.

I don’t think Dean will be Metatron, nor even be part of the Metatron mytharc. I think he will be maybe Tron on the game, just like he played Michael in the Changing Channels episode. Something to make the Dean fans interested and wanting to watch if Dean truly would be the Michael vessel, only to be sidelined in the end and the role given to yet another minor actor.

The show likes to lead the Dean fans on to keep watching because it needs the ratings, but it won’t deliver anything for the Dean fans to feel that the character they like has any importance outside of what he can do for Sam, Cas, and the guy down the street.

Dean Who? is what Carver should have answered, since he doesn’t see Dean as a lead anyway.

Best to kill Dean off and give Garth Dean’s role as Sam’s faithful servant. Carver would be doing Dean and Dean fans a favor. I could stop watching the show that keeps shoving SuperSpecialSnowflakeSam down my throat season after season. No wonder I can’t stand Sam anymore.

• robinhelene says:

I have to laugh at all the unhappy Dean fans. My close friend, a staunch Sam fan, won’t watch the show anymore because she feels DEAN is getting the major share of the storyline and SAM is being relegated to the background! As for me, who has met and loves both actors and their characters equally, I think the story lines are equitably shared and the show has never been better. It reminds me of a story my grandma read me when I was a child–“Please All, Please None.” Jeremy Carver, keep up your excellent work as showrunner. You will never make all fans happy no matter what you do! — a grateful fan, Robin Vogel

• cassie says:

you have a good point, it’s obviously a bone to dean fans once again same old same old. it’s always about sam. even when they mention the names sam & dean, never dean & sam. why they don’t admit it’s the sam show already so we get over with it. oh right cause it’s dean that carries the show & has the most fans. without him they have nothing.

also as a dean fan i’m tired of dean fans who complain about dean’s lack of story arc. obvioulsy complaining does’nt work, it did nothing for the past 5 years, it will do now? the only way to make them understand is to hit where it hurts, the ratings. stop watching for a couple of episodes to drop the ratings. the show is already renewed so no harm done anyway. just an experiment to see if they’ll get the message this time. if that does’nt work either just stop watching.

as for the ”spoiler”
      1) i’ts obvious that dean has no involvement at all on the trials. i’ts the sam show after all.

2) the tron thing? maybe dean has some interaction with metatron & that’s it.

+ the the fact that cas took the angel tablet imply that the story arc goes to him (since misha is regular for s9)
      that leaves dean without a story arc, once again, for season 9 too.

oh & the comment cas made about molecular structure makes me suspect even more that sam might end up in purgatory which will explain why dean’s purgatory story arc was dropped

what can say apart that’s a crappy way to treat one of your leads.
      it’s a shame for jensen cause he’s such a fine actor & carries the show.
      if it was’nt for him (& misha) i’d stop watching long time ago & at this point don’t care about the show anymore.

more worried about jensen’s future as an actor given the overexposure via spn + the fact that he has no time to do anything else beyond it.
      after watching various shows of various genere for more than 20 years now, know from a fact that when an actor stays attached to a show for so long (ex 8 to 10 years) afterwards has a really hard time to find a decent job cause:
      1) most fans sees him only as the character of that show & don’t want to see him as anything else
      2) both producers & casting directors know that & don’t hire.
      latest example the main cast of lost & prison break, where are they now?

really hope after spn is over that some producer will be smart enough to ignore all this crap (that unfortunately seems to be canon in hollywood) & hire jensen in the spot. actually will not mind to see him working with misha again since they are both talented as hell, have such a great chemistry & presence on screen, that’s a very rare thing

• andrina says:

Stop talking as if you’re speaking for all Deanfans, please. Because you most assuredly aren’t.

• robinhelene says:

Thank you, andrina! I know that it isn’t true that EVERY Dean fan thinks he isn’t getting his share of the SPN storyline. I’m very pleased with both characters’ story arc. More importantly, I know that Jensen and Jared are very happy with each other’s success and delighted with their fans. I pray they don’t read stuff like this, because they would be very unhappy. When a fan said something derogatory about Jared at the recent Vegas con, Jensen nearly bit her head off. I love these actors, both of whom embody the concept of true Southern gentlemen. This Sam vs. Dean nonsense would upset them and make them wonder about fandom.

• Moe says:

what character arc does Dean have? What storyline does Dean have that doesn’t involve him supporting OTHER characters in their stories? If that is such a great role, then how about someone else do it for a change, say Sam, and let Dean have the story where he has to save the world all by himself. Because THAT’S a story to me. Not him being Samwise to Sam’s Mr Frodo and being subservient sidekick to Sam’s Chosen One hero.

• andrina says:

Unless you know that’s what the writer’s precise intentions were when using those lines, please stop these comments. That is your perception of the meaning of those lines.

• Michelle says:

It’s funny that so many of you supposed “Dean fans” want to him to have story lines that don’t revolve around Sam (which is so stupid seeing as the brothers story lines always revolve around each other, they’re the 2 main characters) when Dean’s love for Sam is pretty much the main part of who he is as a character. It’s interesting that you all want to take away the one person who Dean loves more than anything and force him to become a shell of his true self. I think you guys are completely missing who Dean is as a character. Maybe you should try rewatching the show so you could get it?

• lady edith says:

I’m sure Castiel can fill the role of Sam’s manservant very nicely if Dean is too important to do it. I’m trying to imagine either of them some kind of butler/valet. Yeah. hop to it, Dean.

• strangeworld says:

Well, somebody has to be responsible for shining the spotlight on Sam. He tends to disappear unless Dean and everyone else consistently tell the audience how awesome Sam is.

• andrina says:

Continually bashing Sam doesn’t make any of your arguments hold up better. I like him just fine and don’t feel he “disappears” as you do. I’m sure you also consider yourself Jensen’s fan, and I sure he wouldn’t like to hear some of these fans making these rude comments about his friend and co-star’s character.

34. Delia says:

Good to see some scoop on Monday Mornings. I’m just worried that there won’t be a season 2. :(

• bobbie says:

me, too! It’s one of those shows that seems like it’s over so fast – I mean each episode is intriguing and involving, never boring. It goes by in a flash. It would be great to watch on dvd, one episode after another.

35. bobbie says:

Are we going to start saying a show is “Saffron’d”? I’m so disappointed in the lack of Megan musical spots. The parts with Ivy in it have been really amusing, as well as Tom and Eileen’s bits. Then we get to Karen and the boys and it’s time to fast-forward to something more interesting. The boy is a complicated character? what? Are we suddenly supposed to care?

36. MrJeff2000 says:

Here’s the final spoiler for SMASH: The final episode of the season is a series finale.

37. the8tregirl says:

Dear, dear Matt,

Would you mind suggesting to the brilliant, quirky, creative minds at ONCE UPON A TIME that perhaps, just possibly, there might be MORE PEOPLE IN STORYBROOKE THAN WE NEED!! At least for right now.

There are so many story lines that are just dangling out there, and characters whose character, as it were, haven’t been fully addressed (hell, some of them haven’t been more than hinted at!), that it’s starting to become, well, LOST.

A show which I learned to despise for this reason.

I love OUAT with all my heart. It is one of two shows on ABC I watch, usually twice. But it’s not just the stories and the myths and the magic that hooked me. I really care about almost all of these characters, or could care about them if there was more to them. More isn’t always better, faster is usually a mistake, and not every episode has to have CGI.

And so it goes…

38. らゃてを says:

Thank you so much for giving everyone an extremely memorable possiblity to read in detail from this site. It is always so great and also stuffed with amusement for me personally and my office friends to search your website on the least 3 times a week to find out the fresh tips you have. And of course, I am at all times satisfied with the effective points you give. Certain 1 ideas in this post are essentially the most effective I’ve ever had.

39. whodan says:

Whilst I truly like this post, I think there was an punctuational error shut towards the end of your 3rd sentence.