Ratings: ABC Makes a Big Splash, Body of Proof Rises, Smash Dips, New Normal Drops

Ratings ABC Splash Premiere NCIS LA SpinoffRemember, I am just the messenger.

ABC’s “celebrity” diving competition, Splash, on Tuesday night premiered to 8.8 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating, making it the Alphabet net’s highest-rated reality-TV launch in more than two years and all of TV’s best-rated reality-TV debut since The X Factor circa Sept. 2011.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Versus the week-ago “Celebrity” Wife Swap finale, Splash was up 75 and 63 percent, and it at least doubled the numbers for Fox’s recent Stars in Danger “celebrity” diving show.

Leading out of that, some Dancing With the Stars special did 9.6 mil/2.1, and Body of Proof (8.3 mil/1.5) saw gains of 25 percent.

Over on CBS, NCIS (19.1 mil/3.1) dipped 9 percent, NCIS: LA’s planted “Red” pilot matched last episode’s 16.6 mil/2.8 (and was on par with the audience for NCIS‘ April 2009 planted pilot for LA). Golden Boy closed the Eye’s night with 9.3 mil/1.7, up 9 percent and two tenths.

Elsewhere:

* NBC’s Go On (2.9 mil/1.0) ticked down a few viewers and a tenth, while The New Normal (2.1 mil/0.7) dropped 14 percent and two tenths. Smash dipped 9 percent and a tenth to 2.65 mil/0.8.

RELATED | Smash Recap: A Defense of Marilyn Act

* On Fox, Hell’s Kitchen (4.85 mil/2.0) dipped 8 percent and a tenth, New Girl (4.2 mil/2.2) ticked down a tenth and The Mindy Project (3.2 mil/1.7) was flat.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ralph says:

Yep…..The Apocalypse is upon us.

• Steve Ungrey says:

Next time people want to lament about not being able to see their favorite actor or actress on a scripted show, think of the nine million that watched Splash. Shame on all of you.

• Girl in MD says:

Really shame on us all? Its cheesy and there are some people out there who like cheesy shows like the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo its trashy TV why shame people for something they enjoy just because you dont?

• Because the madness never stops. It’s one gimmick piece of crap show over another. Where is the limit for those of you who enjoy such “trashy TV?”

• Ari says:

The limit for this trashy show watcher was the show “Gypsy Sisters.” I realized I had a serious trash tv problem and need to quit.

• Allyson says:

I agree!!!!!!! i remember the days, when scripted shows ruled the tv market. I am so sick of trashy tv getting the green light. I am afraid what the future of television is going to look like if networks continue to push reality shows infront of us!

• Rebecca says:

The shows you just mentioned are killing our society.

• Sam says:

Well I agree reality television is pretty awful. But I would rather have shows about celebrities competing than watching them get Botox and go out to lunch. I think it’s interesting to see people that the public put on a pedestal trying to do something they aren’t good at.

• just saying says:

It’s not either/or Sam. There are those of us who would rather not see them living their “real” life OR competing on a sillly show. just saying…

• marta says:

i agree 100%

• Paul says:

I give it 2-3 weeks before they pull the plug on this show. I prefer to watch Microwave Massacre if they wanted us to watch something stupid and cheesy.

2. Jade says:

The ratings for NBC are really pathetic.

• So pathetic that you could almost compare it to that of The CW.

• kirads09 says:

It’s more pathetic to me that so many tuned into Splash. Really? Seriously?
      Was it hate watching and/or curiousity? I’ll bet the ratings plummet for Splash from here.

• Maris says:

And it’s REALLY sad because they have the best shows!

• CJ says:

For the most part, I agree. I just don’t understand what it is about reality TV and CBS procedurals that appeals to SO MANY people. I really love a lot of the scripted shows on NBC and I hate seeing the ratings slide further and further and further while the cancellation bear closes in.

• marta says:

so many good scripted shows, but the public has to watch these trashy reality shows or fat men in wet suits ugggg

3. taliesin says:

I am glad Golden Boy was up, but it is still under 2.0, and CBS does not seem to keep shows under 2.0. :(
    I find it much more realistic and enjoyable than Red Team – which will probably replace it in the time slot next season.

• Billy says:

I stopped watching Golden Boy because I can’t stand Arroyo…I loved everything about the show except him…I don’t see why they have to make him soooooo unlikable because if they hadn’t I would have kept watching.

• wrstlgirl says:

Part of the reason why I like the show is because of the conflict between Clark and Arroyo. I’m very curious to see where Arroyo is in the future. We’ve met his son as a rookie cop 7 yrs later. We’re starting to see cracks in Arroyo’s tuff guy image starting with last weeks episode and then again last night.

• taliesin says:

Yeah, this last couple of episodes have given us some good insights into Arroyo. This last episode has also shown us that Don Owen isn’t as squeaky clean and perfect as we were led to believe in the first couple of episodes. The show is really turning into a good character drama – focused on the characters rather than the crime of the week.

4. Billy says:

I am sad to say I was once I’d the 8.8 million people who tinged in to watch Splash (and actually liked it, I know I’m surprised I did also) but will not be tuning in next week because The Voice is back next week and that takes priority…hopefully they decide to reshow it on Saturdays like they did with The Taste so I can keep watching

5. dude says:

wow just wow guess I underestimated Splash

6. Kaycee says:

Wow, the majority of people here in the UK hated Splash, I’m surprised how much viewership it got in the US.

• Alice says:

There wasn’t a lot on last night. The ads for it were so bad that I thought a few people might watch it just to see how terrible it was. But it would take a lot of hate-watching ot get those numbers.
      I bet Smash wishes it still had its hate watchers now though, doesn’t it?

7. Boiler says:

I am stunned so many people watched Splash. And we wonder why ABC is so impatient with their normal shows as they can just put this absolute crap on. Geez people if their is nothing else to watch turn off the TV and read a book, play with the kids, surf the internet something but this. It just shows the trouble the country is in I guess

8. Rivera says:

I seriously do not get why more people are not tuning in to GO ON … it is such an awesome show – apart from the fact that Mathew Perry is an amazing comedic actor, the whole ensemble is so funny! If you haven’t seen it, you are missing out!

Oh please let Go On be on the safe side of the cruel cancellation knife!!

• Meg says:

There’s so many shows on at that time that I watch already. I usually end up watching it on demand.

• TV Gord says:

I watch it, hoping it will improve, but I’m not very happy with it. Great cast, but the premise doesn’t work and storylines are silly.

• Maris says:

Yes! I was so glad there was finally a Matthew Perry show that I loved, I really hope they don’t cancel it. Part of me is hoping that if Parenthood gets cancelled (please TV Lords save it) that Lauren Graham would come back and stay on Go On

• AymieJoi says:

I watch Go On on demand because it’s on at the same time as NCIS and/or NCISLA. I hate when all of the shows I like are on the same night. I too hope it doesn’t get cancelled, but since I never watch it live, I suppose I forfeit my right to complain if it does. When it moves to Friday (I think?) I’ll be more inclined to watch it live if I’m home.

9. Mandy says:

More proof that NBC needs to bring Parenthood back next year!

10. MrMank says:

Really kinda depressed over the ratings for Smash. Kind of liked having a musical show on TV, and I haven’t gotten around to Nashville yet.

11. Butters says:

I hate to say it but I also watched Splash, too. It was so bad that it became fantastic. I don’t know what is wrong with me.

• I watched for one reason only: i’ve always been not-so-secretly in love with Greg Lougainis, and i wanted to see him on my tv again after so long. i wasn’t disappointed with him at all. then i sort of fell in serious like with Louie Anderson, he’s so pathetic and sweet. yep, i guess i’ll be back…

12. wrstlgirl says:

I lasted about 5 minutes with Splash, the only reason why it was even on is because there was nothing else I watch. Golden Boy just keeps getting better week to week. It would be nice if it could stick around.

13. RUCookie says:

Splash did not even show last night here in the DC area (on FIOS)… I was flipping channels and saw a rerun of Wheel of Fortune playing…

• Butters says:

Really, I live in DC and it was on. I have RCN so that is weird. Oh lord I can’t believe I am promoting this craptastic show.

14. Joe says:

Happy for Body of Proof is up ,not so happy about Splash high numbers ( meaning more crap is on its way like that)

15. rebecca says:

happy Body of Proof is up…tried to watch Splash…just couldn’t do it

16. Mikael says:

I really like The New Normal, and I feel that one of the reasons its ratings are slipping is because NBC completely mishandled the show. They would air a new episode, followed by 3+ weeks of hiatus, and they’re airing episodes out of order! Two weeks ago, they aired a Halloween episode for the first time! They shouldn’t put a half hour sitcom on a night when they know they’re going to preempt show for 2-hour specials of The Voice. These networks need a lesson in Scheduling 101

17. forwarddad says:

I think folks are confused about Smash scheduling. I bet some thought it already moved to Saturday.!

18. Jenny says:

I admit I ended up watching Splash. It was so bad that it was good. I couldn’t turn away. Don’t know if I will watch again. At least I hope I don’t get sucked into it again.

19. Tracey says:

I watch the New Normal but it didn’t even air in North Carolina where I live. They showed a basketball special. Granted probably two million+ ppl watched it in our state alone. This is a basketball state! Go Heels!

20. Chi says:

It’s too bad about Go On and The New Normal, both are fabulous shows, and both won’t get a second season.

21. Shaun says:

Red looks like a cruddy version of NCIS.Only liked 2 characters.

22. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I have a theory on why Splash did so well last night – the theory is a bit complex, so please stay with me on this one ….
    I misread my TV Guide – I thought, look, Smash is on tonight at 8pm. I tuned in and though, interesting, a broadway play with an aquatic theme. That’s a new idea, the producers of Smash are trying something new. I’m open minded, I’m okay with that. Where’s Debra? Haven’t seen Katherine yet, but it’s still early in the hour. Huh – look at that, Joey Lawrence is making a guest arc on Smash. Cool casting. Still waiting for some music, but I like Keisha and it’s nice to see Greg L back on TV. Now it’s about 8:15pm, still haven’t seen Debra or katherine yet, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions – Smash is struggling a bit in the ratings, they are trying some new ideas – understandable.
    Then I realized – wait a minute – this isn’t Smash, it’s Splash. By the time I figured it out, it was already 8:25pm. I don’t want to give away the ending, but they send Keisha home – now that is unacceptable. She was the reason I hung on beyond 8:30pm – no Jennifer Hudson anywhere in sight, but at least Smash was trying out Keisha. Then they send her home. Big mistake – I’m not happy about that, and frankly, I don’t think Greg or Joey were either. No wonder Smash’s ratings are bad.
    Will I tune in next week? Well, perhaps, but I want to catch the Saturday edition of Splash on NBC, and then maybe I’ll tune in next Tuesday to Smash and hopefully the show doesn’t jump around too much in the storyline from week to week.

23. Zorkel567 says:

Glad to see NCIS: Los Angeles did well. And if the numbers match the Los Angeles backdoor pilot, hopefully that means NCIS: Red will get picked up. Though not a great start, I feel a regular series could be a good chance to flesh out the characters, and they seem like they could have some interesting stories to tell with the crew.

• AymieJoi says:

I felt the same way about last night’s LA/Red as I did about Original Recipe when LA launched: I’ll give it a chance, and I’m glad I did. I loved JAG, I love NCIS and I love NCIS:LA, so I’ve come to trust the franchise, and am not too worried about Red (if it gets picked up). Unlike CSI, in which I lost interest when it started shedding characters, and L&O which I’ve never liked, I think this franchise has that special something that really makes it work. We’ll see if I’m right in a few months…

24. Lana says:

This crap is why I’m watching season one of The West Wing on Netflix…again!

25. Allyson says:

I HATE how networks are cancelling quality tv dramas/sictoms to make cheap produced reality shows such as Splash!!!! I wish someone would write article about television today vs.years passed. How networks don’t give scripted programming much of a chance before pulling them from their schedules and replacing them with stupid reality shows. I wonder how Friends and Cheers would do in today’s tv market? It frustrates me so much! Smash, New Normal, and Happy Endings are some of great tv, yet they don’t get much recognition.

26. Sal F says:

I am really happy that the cable channels for the most part are interested in quality scripted shows ie Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Borgias etc. I refuse to get involved with any new dramas on ABC because they tend to cancel most without giving them a chance…ie The Last Resort and Pan Am. And no I did not watch Splash nor do I intend to do so….

27. Jodee says:

Sad to see that Smash and Go On are not getting the viewers. Go On is the only half hour show I watch because it is the only good one on. I laugh pretty steady each week. Smash is so much better this year than it was last. Sure hope it makes it!

28. sugarcube4u says:

Sometimes i wonder if it is because of the lack of good writers out there that can’t come up with good tv shows (scripts) or we are just brainwashed about the “reality” shows. I would like to watch and hear a good story not this stupid “reality” shows that doesn’t have anything for real.

29. sentinel says:

why anyone would watch this garbage is beyound me.If this is what ABC calls television i hope ABC gets swallowed by a sinkhole.

30. Nicole says:

I’ll be honest, I watched Splash because I was a diver. I wanted to see how well the celebrities would do. Also, I wanted to see if they would belly flop since I totally feel their pain! I had fun watching it!

31. Eric says:

Really depressing to see The New Normal’s ratings as low as they are. its an excellent series, but it is almost definitely getting cancelled.

32. Pat says:

I would like to know how they measure how many people are watching shows, since we now Hulu, Netflix, Tivo or just record shows and watch them at our convenience. Some watch on tablets or thier phones. These numbers cannot be accurate. A lot of people watch shows when they can not when they come on. Ex. Scandal came on on ABC on Thursday, I will watch it today, I’ve been busy.

33. Mark G says:

Splash is horrible. I just finish watching it & the judges are horrible. They judged Suh by his style and gave him a horrible score meanwhile they didn’t even judge Kendra by her style they judged her by her acting. This show is the biggest joke!!!!!

34. teichfilter says:

Great work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the internet.
    Shame on the search engines for now not positioning this submit higher!

Come on over and talk over with my web site .

35. This article will assist the internet visitors for creating new
    weblog or even a weblog from start to end.

36. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post.
    Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

37. Tressa says:

I savour, result in I found exactly what I was having a look for.
    You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
    Bye