Report: Jimmy Fallon to Replace Jay Leno as Host of a New York-Based Tonight Show

jimmy fallon tonight showLive from New York, it’s…the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon?

Yes indeed, the current host of NBC’s Late Night has reportedly received an offer to take over from Jay Leno as host of Tonight by no later than fall 2014 — and to move the show back to the east coast in the process, according to the New York Times.

The paper notes that “NBC has quietly begun work on a new studio in its headquarters building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza as the home for the new Tonight show.”

Leno, for his part, has been taking jabs at NBC’s ratings woes and even called network execs “snakes” in recent monologues, a likely sign that he knew this succession plan — and its leak to the media — was brewing.

In the summer of 2009, the network endured a botched succession plan in which it gave Leno’s gig to then Late Night host Conan O’Brien — and launched The Jay Leno Show in the 10pm weeknight timeslot that September. By March of 2010, Leno was back in the Tonight Show chair, with O’Brien accepting a massive buyout offer and eventually landing his own show on TBS.

What do you think of NBC’s plan to give Fallon the coveted 11:30/10:30c time slot? How do you think the show will change — if at all — with the move to New York City? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. jimbo says:

Wow. Okay. Wow.

• Jeri says:

Yay!! You’re goin down Leno. Can’t wait. The good do win in the end.

• Jouquin Tall says:

WTF. Jay Leno is much better than Fallon or the old fart, Letterman. Keep Jay and the Tonight Show on the west coast. NBC execs have f*^ked it up again. Show will be 3rd or 4th in ratings behind Craig Furgeson and Jimmy. Big mistake.

• Alice says:

I don’t understand why Jimmy would ever accept it, given what happened to the LAST guy they moved across the country to helm the show in an attempt to push Leno out. Conan wasn’t allowed to be on television for like a year! It’s NBC- the ratings will never be good. Stay where you are Jimmy!

• Jay Leno's agent says:

Be careful what you wish for. Leno is nearing the end – few are questioning whether or not Jay and NBC need to plan his end-date. However, the question is whether Jimmy Fallon has earned this job. Is he ready? If so, great, NBC’s Tonight show will achieve even greater success. If not? Maybe it doesn’t matter anymore. Maybe that’s why NBC has to move the show over to NY. That way, SNL can use the Tonight Show the same way they use the Thursday night prime time lineup – as a tool to get more producing credits and more money for SNL alumni and producers at NBC’s expense. That has to stop. Look at the results of this behavior. NBC is ruin.

I’d love to know who is behind the move back to NY? Is it Tonight show producers? Is it NBC? Or is it the people behind SNL? This has to stop. And it should stop with Fallon – bring this to a head, let him walk when his contract comes up, and then take on the SNL producers when their contacts end. NBC already has a president – if someone at SNL wants that job, let them come forward, not lurk in the shadows like a snake. Give them their walking papers – you’ll never see people in the light of day again – that’s not their style.

• Dee says:

Leno is wiinning the ratings war right now. It seems that NBC is just very incompetent and doesn’t learn from it’s many many mistakes. Whoever hosts The Tonight Show leave it in California where the guests are. I would bet that this move by NBC will prove to be another big mistake.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah seems like another NBC panic move ahead of time. They feared Kimmel would take over and trounce but after the first few days he is now pulling worse than Nightline did and Leno still leads.
        At some point it WILL be Fallon’s time, but 2014 is too soon.

• Fred says:

Fallon’s first guest should be Conan.

• Diane says:

I think it is a Great Idea, in fact I was hoping it would happen!

• Johnny says:

Theres a reason Jay is #1 in the ratings. Hes funny every night. None of the other talk show people show up everynight like Jay. Quite frankly when Fallon, Kimmel and Dave bomb [Fairly consistently] its beyond dumb and boring. The ratings support my statement.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Well NBC wanted to go younger to compete with ABC for some oddball reason. Letterman must be grinning from ear to ear because the older crowd will all come to him. Adults aren’t generally interested in beer pong and The Roots. Fallon has some funny skits, but Dave is going to bury him.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

And this shall for the time being be called “The Coco Effect”. Funny guy but had lousy ratings because his audience was very young and older people still in the demo tuned out. They came back when Jay came back, I guess NBC must be planning for all the geezers to die off lol.

• Jouquin Tall says:

NBC does it again. FAIL.

• MaryAnn says:

I’m a retiree and a fan of Fallon. Don’t like Letterman or Leno, and will not watch them. Looking forward to Fallon taking over.

• Steffenyale says:

Agreed. I am an “older” viewer, and I LOVE watching the Jimmy Fallon Late Night Show. I DVR it so that I can watch. Jimmy Fallon is a great talent, and he has been developing as a talk show host over the past years. He actually LISTENS to his guests’ answers, instead of staring with a glazed look, thinking about the next question he is going to ask. I say this is a great move……and a long time coming.

• Merry says:

Nope, sorry you’re wrong. I’m an adult and I suppose I’m considered the “older crowd” but I won’t be going to Letterman. I’m a total Fallon Fan :)

2. Tammy says:

and Jay Leno is okay with this? Will he take it back after a few months? Team Coco!

• Ava says:

Judging by Leno’s anti-NBC jokes lately, no. I don’t think he is okay with it. I think Leno is already playing the PR game like he did when Conan was taking over. Trying to turn the audience against NBC and get them to reverse their decision. Hopefully he won’t destroy Fallon’s NBC run like he did for Conan.

• the ghost of Coco says:

Don’t worry – Fallon’s NBC run w/the Tonight show will be destroyed by only one man – Fallon. When The Tonight Show is third place in the ratings, we’ll all remember the ‘talent’ known as Jimmy Fallon. ‘Guys with Kids’ anyone? I wonder if NBC can just save some money and re-use the old Conan set back in NY. It will only be temporary anyway until ratings tank and NBC has to appease SNL with another ‘talent’ from their cast to become the next Tonight Show host.

One day, the history books will note – the fall of NBC was due in large part to SNL – primetime, late night, you name it, they’ve ruined NBC across the board. Whoever becomes the new head of NBC, their first task – clean out and clean up the people behind SNL. No more ‘favors’ and hand-outs to that bunch – it they want to walk, good-bye. Good luck finding a job. ‘SNL-comedy’. Uh-huh.

• katy says:

Lol what? SNL has nothing to do with Conan or Jay

• ghost of Coco says:

I didn’t say it did. Take a look at the NBC Thursday night lineup. Do you think Fallon would have his current job (or a series on the NBC prime time schedule) if SNL wasn’t involved? Come on, you’re smarter than that.

• Paul Cox says:

Actually, Conan was a former SNL writer Lorne recruited to take over Late Night after Letterman left, so the Late Night spot has had SNL connections for 20 years at this point.

• Jouquin Tall says:

They sure do. That show has feed most of the rest with their actors.

• Don't say I didn't warn you says:

And SNL is all over NBC’s prime time lineup, and all over their 2013 fall pilot list.

• final cut says:

Taylor, is that you?

• noa says:

WHAT?! forget ratings for a second. the SNL people have been producing the best comedies on TV. give me more of that! and stay out of their way as much as possible (see 30 Rock Vs. Up All Night).

and Lorne got both Conan and Jimmy their late night jobs and they’re both fantastic. granted, both work better on Late Night (Conan hasn’t been the same since, and i’m worried about Fallon moving to the tonight show), but i’m grateful for everything Lorne has done for comedy and NBC.

any lineup that includes Parks and Rec can’t be ruined. ratings mean nothing (i know that’s not true, but stay with me here people- quality is more important!)!!!

• ghost of Coco says:

Fair enough – we’re all entitled to our opinions. Ratings may not matter to viewers, but they do to the people who run the networks. If the ratings are low, the advertisers go elsewhere, the network loses money, and the people in charge lose their jobs. It’s that simple. Look, I grew up on SNL, I think we all have, and I do admire Lorne a great deal. I think the world of him and his team. But results matter – they have to. Guys With Kids should not be on Prime Time television – maybe on some cable channel, but not on broadcast TV. People need to earn their jobs, not be given them because someone thinks he’s holding all the cards. That never works – at least not for long. If NBC goes down the drain, SNL and Lorne are both out of work. No one wins that way.
            This has nothing to do with Jay Leno – he and NBC must work out an exit strategy. Jay will eventually need to move on. The question here is simple – has Jimmy Fallon *earned* the right to take on the Tonight Show at this time? Yes or no? In my opinion, he has not. If his resume didn’t include SNL, would he have his current job? Would he even be considered for the Tonight Show job? I’ll leave it at that.

• Jauquin Tall says:

Fallon with self destruct. Too juvenile. Even Conan was better.

3. Mike says:

As long as he stays in NYC, I’m good with it,

4. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Just please do NOT give his show to Stern. I beg of you!

5. Ashley says:

Don’t change Jimmy. Stay silly.

Also, I’m glad they are staying in NY

• Sg. Grant says:

Jimmy better continue to play beer pong and the other games with guests. I could watch an entire hour of Jimmy and guest playing charades and pictionary.

• Jouquin Tall says:

The how belongs in LA or Burbank, where it is now. Too many shows from NY already. Same recycled guests if the LA/Hollywood guests are left out.

6. Meg says:

If Leno actually goes off the air this time he might have a shot.

7. rockgolf says:

Typical NBC. Let’s kick out the guy who’s won the 11:30 timeslot for the past 20 years. It worked out real well the last time we did it.

8. Esaul says:

While I love Jimmy Fallon, I have nothing but respect for him, I don’t think he’s worked long enough on Late Night to deserve the Tonight Show, especially after what happened to Conan. I’m not blaming Jimmy for this. I feel NBC is being greedy. They should pick up Othello and read it some time. What a shame if this blows up in their face…again.

• jimbo says:

This! Jimmy’s not ready for The Tonight Show yet.

• the great Steve Allen rolling over in his grave says:

Indeed – and they say that Jeff Zucker (former head of NBC, now head of CNN) always managed to ‘fail upward’. Jimmy Fallon – Taxi, Fever Pitch, Late Night, Guys w/Kids. Maybe Jeff Z isn’t the only one failing upward. Look, Jimmy is a good guy, I like him – but he has *not* earned this Tonight show slot – not yet. Without the SNL ties, he wouldn’t even have his current job(s) with NBC. Can he find a better job elsewhere? If so, take it, and then go back to NBC and say, “Guys, I’ve got this other offer, can you top it? Do you want me to stay? Otherwise, I need to move on.” That’s how you earn it – that’s what Letterman did. But that’s not how it works at NBC, and you see the results.

I wonder what Jimmy Kimmel is thinking right now? He’s gone up again Fallon on late night in the past, and w/Tonight moving back to NY, all the SCal/LA industry wanting to promote their content will have only one late night outlet local to SCal – Kimmel’s show. Maybe Kimmel can win this late night ratings battle in the long run. If I’m Kimmel, I’m feeling pretty good, and very lucky right about now.

• Jauquin Tall says:

Kimmel should feel real lucky right now. Doors are propped open wide. Especially with the show rumored to go back to NY, which is the biggest mistake of all.

9. Brandon says:

The NYC thing was the only problem I had with this. I watch Jimmy every night…couldn’t be happier for him! (Leno better STAY AWAY this time.)

• Alienate says:

Yes. Having both Letterman and Jimmy in NYC is stupid. I got so sick of Dave’s East Coast schtick I had to stop watching. Plus, we all know that the West Coast is where everything happens first. And better. :)

10. Chelsea says:

Holy cow. Good on you Jimmy. I am a worried that this will change the madcap, fun, setup of his show.

• ktbanks says:

I’m a bit worried too. Jimmy’s show is brilliant in it’s time slot, and I’m afraid some of the fun could be lost if it’s moved up. If he his to do the Tonight Show, he has to stand up to NBC and do HIS show in HIS way. You can’t take Jimmy and plug him into the same old, stale formula that Leno is still using.

• Esaul says:

I agree with this. Conan tried carrying his format over to the Tonight Show. It’s not that it didn’t do well. It wasn’t received well to those that were used to Leno’s methods. And not only that…but Leno taking over the 10 PM slot messed a lot up for the network.

• Conan was severely stifled in the transition from Late Night to Tonight. The whole bit about the Masturbating Bear not being allowed an hour earlier thing wasn’t just a joke, it was kind of a metaphor. Their comedy was tamer and less adventurous until the final days when they just sort of let loose. I guess at least now they won’t try to stick Leno at 10 PM and he’ll just jump ship and have a crappy show somewhere else that’ll be cancelled after one season. Personally, I think Craig Ferguson deserves The Tonight Show more than Jimmy, as good as Jimmy is at what he does.

• Jauquin Tall says:

I could watch Ferguson on the Tonight Show. I don’t stay up later every night now to see him, but I do like his show when I do.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

but honestly that bear was about as lame as it got anyway, so no loss there

11. Esaul says:

On another note, I can see Jimmy staying where he is at Late Night. He’s doing well. There’s no need to move your show to the Tonight Show. What would he do different? I can only see him moving up if he truly cares about the network and its ratings. If not, I hope he stays. He’s having fun with what he does and with the Roots.

12. Jake says:

Fallon may not be ready, but NBC is ready to apparently dump Leno most people forget that with Conan it was his idea, not NBC, to set a succession plan. This time it’s all them. So if they were to replace Leno with someone else they risk pissing Jimmy off too.

13. Mike says:

One thing is certain, Jimmy Kimmel’s amount of A Listers will be growing with Tonight leaving LA.

14. James says:

Just move jimmy Fallon and let the tonight show die

15. About time Leno can use a much needed break and let Fallon take over for the time being. :-)

16. Mike says:

Snap judgement is that Fallon succeeds here. Network won’t allow another Leno-Gate. I hope NBC brass lets Fallon do his thing unlike what I thought they did to Conan.

17. TV Gord says:

Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show was much edgier when it was in New York, and I never liked it as much in California. I hope this turns out to be true.

I think the next step in the late night wars should be for Jimmy Kimmel’s show to go back to being LIVE (which it was, before Janet Jackson’s Super Nipple Bowl.

I have never watched Leno’s show since Johnny gave up The Tonight Show, so the only way this affects me is that–with Leno going away–it means David Letterman will be setting the date for his own departure not long afterward. I’ll always idolize Dave, but I think he’s as ready to pack it as I am to move on to (hopefully) a Craig Ferguson Late Show.

18. Kim R says:

Hmmm…I shall watch with raised eyebrow to see if Jay actually leaves. :)

19. Jared says:

JAY LENO IS NOT THE BOSS! JAY DID NOT FIRE CONAN! JAY DID NOT “TAKE THE SHOW BACK”

Conan had horrible ratings and was fired by NBC.

NBC rehired Jay Leno.

It was never Jay’s fault or decision whether you like him or not.

• Esaul says:

Did you ever notice Leno’s ratings at the 10 PM slot? That’s also important to note too. They were terrible. Affiliates threatened to boycott. They weren’t getting any viewers for the local news.With ratings, it’s a bit of a trickle affect. Higher ratings should hopefully trickle down to the next show in line, etc. etc. With no one watching Leno’s show at 10 PM, there’s nothing to trickle down for the local news affiliates, ergo nothing left for Conan. In a way, it is Leno’s fault, but I blame NBC’s greed over anything else.

• Leno’s ratings were also terrible in his first year. He was given a chance to build an audience.

• Allyson says:

Thank you! I couldn’t have said it better! Jay Leno has been targeted for NO reason! Blame it on NBC!

• Jenn says:

Actually, it was mostly due to the poor lead in of Jay Leno’s 10pm show that tanked Conan’s ratings. Also, I think the viewers of Conan’s show are a lot younger and tend to watch online or with a PVR. I don’t think Conan had the older audience that Leno had on the Tonight Show, which didn’t help. As someone above stated, Conan’s approach was different from Leno’s and probably wasn’t received well by Leno’s followers.

• Cindy says:

I’m so glad that someone finally tells the truth of what happened. It was not Jay’s fault. And nobody even mentions Conan now and he has his own show and is not doing good. I watch Fallon, but I won’t watch him if he takes over Jay’s spot. Jay can actually have a monologue and Jimmy’s last a few minutes and is not funny. Jimmy is better at a variety show, with singing, etc. Jay is no.1, so keep him. Don’t make the same mistake that you did with getting rid of Ann Curry and look at the ratings of The Today Show. KEEP JAY LENO. And keep Fallon where he’s at.

20. Leah says:

I think Jimmy will do well at 11:30. He can pull in both young and old audiences. The most important issue to arise from all this is: Who gets 12:30??? Joel McHale, please!

• chris says:

that would be amazing

• Angela says:

Joel McHale hosting a late night show would be quite interesting. Only thing I’d say is that if I were him I’d be especially wary with NBC-not only have they had issues with their late night shows, but look at how “Community” has struggled on the network, too. But hey, if it can be worked out…
      As for this news with Fallon…holy hell, NBC, what? I swear that network is run by drunk people. I’ve no problem with Fallon, but the way this is all going down just seems…odd.
      Luckily, though, I’m a fan of Ferguson’s show, so ultimately none of this will have any effect on my personal viewing habits. But that doesn’t make this situation any less fascinating/bizarre.

21. Woohoo! Maybe now more people will watch the much funnier and amazing Craig Ferguson!

22. kelly says:

jimmy’s the best. i hope this works out and doesn’t change him!

23. Allyson says:

never thought Conan was ever funny. I thought he was always annoying. He wanted to take Jay’s hosting duties before he even signed his contrant to renew his late show 5 years prior to briefly taking over Tonight Show. It wasn’t Jay trying to be the mean guy. I am so sick of himming being targeted. I don’t understand why NBC keeps messing with Leno. His ratings are pretty strong, so I don’t understand the need to mess with him again. NBC needs to FOCUS on scripted primetime shows not on the Tonight Show. I do like Leno, Fallon, and Kimmel. Clearly NBC is trying to get so publicity desperately!

24. BadMath says:

I honestly dont have anything against LENO — he serves his purpose: late night entertainment for the older folk. I dont watch him, but obviously enough do because he still leads the OVERALL rating #s.

So now you will have Letterman (still goofy at his age), Kimmel and Fallon all vying for the same silly younger audience.

Doesnt make sense to me!

Yes, I know ratings/advertisers are all focused on younger demo. But all you’re going to do here is spread out the audience amongst the 3 at that time.

You are NOT going to ADD viewers.

• cjeffery7 says:

i’d imagine their rationalization is that dave’s gonna retire soon anyway (he’s older than jay) so why not get a leg up on the new landscape of late night? it will undoubtedly be a younger audience, and hopefully there won’t be any long standing cat fights between all the hosts. i personally look forward to the day when late night hosts aren’t constantly at each other’s throats for ratings and they’re just there to entertain. and i feel like once jay and dave are out of the picture, that future can start to take shape. unfortunately nothing in life is guarenteed. i like jimmy fallon a lot and i hope he succeeds.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

plus they say Leno most often wins the younger demo anyway too

25. Toia says:

I have never liked Leno-ever. The whole thing with Conan just added to that. I loved Conan in the later slot. I think Jimmy is amazing whrer he is. In general Later Night slot is a better time slot in my opinion you have more freedom. I am more likley to watch the late night shows even Craig Ferguson. I am happy for Jimmy getting the opportunity but its probably not the ratings saver that NBC is looking for. Jimmy is a sillier host that doesn’t play well in they after news slot and if the network starts giving notes then the fans will leave and the ppl my moms age don’t get his humor so it’s a hard sell.

26. This should work! Love Jimmy Fallon and he needs to get away from NBC.

27. deedee says:

Jimmy Fallon should host XFactor.

28. Stacey says:

And we now know why Jay is so pissed at NBC and taken nightly shots lately. The rumors in the press, and now even more word about the future of the Tonight Show. Jay may be old. But he’s still #1.

29. Babybop says:

… I’m a little confused. Can someone explain to me the difference in switching from “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” to the Tonight Show? Is it just the time slot?

30. This worries me. Leno’s audience are old geesers who I can’t see appreciating Jimmy’s humor (alot of it is silly 14yrold boy stuff). I hope they give Jimmy a chance to let his audience grow.

One advantage Jimmy has over Conan, is that many music stars want to be on Jimmy’s show and do musical bits with him because they all seem to go viral.. (Springsteen, Mariah Carey and JT)

31. Fabe says:

Can’t they just air Jimmy’s show earlier? Why would he have to move studios and whatnot?

32. Jo says:

Team CoCo… Jimmy Fallon isn’t that funny… He’s not funnier then, Conan, Letterman, or Kimmel… He’s to “new”. Give him a couple of decades to get better…. NBC should apologize to Conan and give it to him… Leno Sucks

33. Brad says:

After the screw up that released Conan and Leno came back I have only seen the show a few times and was not impressed because something changed about Leno. Leno sabotaged the Tonight Show so now he will do it again. Leno just needs to get out of the Tonight Show and go back to stand up.

I will not watch because I don’t like Jimmy Fallon but I do wish him well. I think Conan is funnier and I have a lot of respect for him because he took the high road and tried to protect all of his employees, where Leno only cared for himself.

34. Ben says:

Jay Leno has proven time and again the snake that he is and Jimmy Fallon better watch his back or he will end up on E! (or worse) hosting.

35. NEK38583 says:

It is ok, Leno will probably get a show in primetime and it will be a huge success no need to worry , oh wait :)

36. Courtney says:

I love this! As long as Leno doesn’t try to take it back from him. Jimmy Fallon is awesome and I think he’ll do really well!

37. Carly says:

I am utterly in love with this news. I love Jimmy Fallon and he’s the whole reason I watch Late Night talk shows. I think it’s time Jay Leno was booted and I lost all my respect for him after the Conan fiasco. Jimmy is young, fun, smart, silly, and successful. He will do wonders in that spot

Also I think New York is the best place for a talk show, it has the fast paced, fun, and hip vibe that shows in New York don’t. Now I’m not harping on Kimmel, because I like him a lot too. It just makes more sense for Jimmy to stay in New York and I’m glad he is.

All in all, Jimmy will be wonderful. And I will for sure watch no matter what he does. He’s the highlight of my weeks.

38. Polly says:

and the bet on how much the NBC will give Fallon to get out when Leno claims the tonight show back, begins now! xD

39. Kathy says:

NBC thought it was saving money by putting Leno at ten o’clock, instead spending money on one hour dramas. Ratings were so awlful that affililates lost money on their news broadcast and demanded NBC to pull the plug. NBC, then decides to move the Jay Leno Show at 11:30 followed by The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien. Conan thought that was stupid so he decides to leave The Tonight Show, which was getting great ratings after Conan announced he was leaving. I dont blame Leno or O’Brien for this fiasco. I blame NBC, and now they are doing it again. When will they ever learn?

40. Cori says:

I hope Jimmy doesn’t change a thing about his show when it becomes The Tonight Show. His is my favorite late night talk show, just as Conan’s was when he was the host of Late Night. Conan lost some of his fun and uniqueness when he switched to The Tonight Show, so it worries me Jimmy might do the same. I just hope NBC treats Jimmy better than they treated Conan.

41. Cori says:

Also I love the idea of Jimmy staying in New York. Some of my favorite interviews on his show are people with ties to SNL, and those seem more likely in New York.

42. Jauquin Tall says:

Wild thought. Letterman retires. Leno goes to CBS! I said it was a wild thought! Kimmel goes live in the same time slot. Fallon to the faltering, failing Tonight Show. in 2 years Ferguson takes over from flunkout Fallon. Then a woman host takes of Ferguson’s show. How much more weird could that be…? Could it happen?

43. Ashley says:

Until Leno un-retires again and then Coco and Fallon can party together on TBS. God, NBC. Why are you so stupid?

44. Carol C says:

I love multi-talented Jimmy Fallon and am happy that he’s going to be on earlier. (Also thought he was great in Fever Pitch.)

45. Larry says:

Leno has had his time. He has a very outdated comedy style and it doesn’t relate to a younger audience. NBC needs a makeover to compete against Kimmel. Jimmy Fallon is a better match to make that happen. It might take awhile but I think it is a solid plan. At least Kimmel respects Fallon. And the late night wars won’t be so vindictive.

46. MaryAnn says:

Leno is unwatchable. I look forward to having Fallon take over.

47. Ruby says:

No, Jimmy! Don’t fall for it! Run! Run while you still can!

48. Shari says:

THIS IS WHAT CONAN SHOULD HAVE DONE!!

I never understood why he went to LA in the first place considering that’s where the very first Tonight Show began. GO JIMMY GO!!!!