Fox Developing O.J. Simpson-Themed Series

Get More: News

ojA white Bronco and a sailor from 17th-century Japan may one day have a home at Fox.

The network announced today it is developing The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson, a behind-the scenes look at the trial that captivated the country, and Shogun, a drama set in feudal Japan.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Your Guide to All of This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers

The Run of His Life, from Nina Jacobson (The Hunger Games) and Brad Simpson (Diary of a Wimpy Kid), is based on Jeffrey Toobin’s book of the same name.

The nonfiction project — with script by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (The People vs. Larry Flint) – promises to present the story of Simpson’s trial for the 1994 murders of Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman “as it has never been told.” (Spoiler alert: Simpson was acquitted.)

Shogun, a drama based on a novel by James Clavell, follows British hero John Blackthorne as he rises from outsider to samurai in 1600s Japan… and falls into a forbidden love along the way.

Michael De Luca (The Social Network) and Nigel Williams (Elizabeth I) are behind the project.

Comments (22)

• I’d have to hear more about Shogun to see if there’s any interest there for me. Also depends on the casting. But really early for that. And it doesn’t seem relevant to do a documentary about O.J. after all this time. Plus what else is there to know about that we don’t know already? Unless there’s some sort of conspiracy out there. Oh wait.

Comment by Esaul – March 20, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox…home of The Simpsons….ALL of The Simpsons!

Comment by TV Gord – March 20, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God help me, but I laughed at this.
      Um. Yeah. This Simpson idea. Ooooooooookay.

Comment by Angela – March 20, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad I no longer watch Fox. Any network that thinks an O.J. Simpson series is a good idea is a just…

Comment by Renee – March 20, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boo. Hiss. on the OJ Project.

Comment by just saying – March 21, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shogun is actually the more interesting project. Based on a great novel, it was also made into a very popular miniseries in the early 80s. It would be interesting to see how they extend the story, who is cast, and the production values.

Comment by Danielle – March 20, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the original Shogun mini-series nad even re-watched it recently on Encore. I wish the still did the grand epic mini’s. It’s one thing that was better in the ’70′s.

Comment by Jon – March 20, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bart Simpson won’t be the worst behaved Simpson anymore….

Comment by WiggedyWackYo – March 20, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • on Fox, obviously :)

Comment by WiggedyWackYo – March 20, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Shogun just The Last Samurai in tv form?

Comment by Shaun – March 20, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not at all. The 1975 novel Shogun is based on actual people, daimyo-later Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu and and famed English navigator William Adams, taking place in 1600. The Last Samurai is based on the 1877 Satsuma Rebellion and the westernization of Japan by colonial powers following the the Meiji Restoration in 19th Century Japan.

Comment by suzi – March 20, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • kinda the same premise,white guy meets japanese girl and joins culture,lol

Comment by Shaun – March 20, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • inb4 NBC tries to pick up a Casey Anthony-based pilot to compete with this in a couple of years.

Comment by kavyn – March 20, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t watch such a travesty of justice unless I knew that any money paid to Simpson went directly to paying what he owes to Fred Goldman !!!

Comment by Gordon Owens – March 20, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeahhh, no thanks.

Comment by Ruby – March 20, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eeeewwww. Not.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – March 20, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re OJ: why? I won’t be watching it. Re Shogun: how many times are they going to remake that story. I know, how about the network hiring a CREATIVE writing staff instead of rehashing already done stories. So lazy.

Comment by arial2 – March 21, 2013 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the Simpson project profits go to the victims of his crimes, I am all for it. If not, there is no reason to showcase this criminal.

Comment by TVDIVA – March 21, 2013 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t expect this OJ project to ever even see the light of day.

Nicole and Ron’s families will sue the pants off of Fox and the producers of this debacle.

After going through that sad trial and getting the wrong verdict , I am they don’t want to relive that big mess again.

It is times like this when I am glad that I stopped watching Fox.

Pulling a stunt like this just proves how desperate for ratings that network truly is.

Btw, Shogun will never work on Network tv.

A sailor from 17th century japan? Oh Jesus, that sounds ghastly and terrible.

It’s better suited for HBO or History Channel.

All the obvious blood and gore would be frowned upon, if it stays on Fox.

Comment by Cici – March 21, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why would FOX not like all the blood and gore? Have you seen Bones? That show is beyond gross! (I watch it – but have turned off a couple of super bloody gross epis)

BOO! HISS! To the OJ project! I hope some karma smites them just for thinking of this stupid idea.

Comment by CountryQueen – March 21, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they just ask him to be in it and call it the title of that book that ended up not being released where basically he said he did it? “If I Did It, This is How” or something like that? Because that’s only in slightly poorer taste.

Comment by kate – March 21, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No thank you. The only OJ I’m interested in comes in a glass with vodka. Don’t give this piece of human garbage another second of celebrity.

Comment by MLO – March 22, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post