Bates Motel Hits a Drama Debut High for A&E

Bates Motel Premiere RatingsA lot of people checked into Bates Motel on Monday night, as the dark drama took a stab at an A&E record.

With its initial 10 pm airing, the Bates family origin story drew 3 million total viewers, with 1.6 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot. That demo delivery marks an A&E high for an original drama series debut.

Breakout Kings was the previous record holder, with 1.5 million in the demo, while Longmire last summer delivered a larger premiere audience (4.1 mil) but skewed older, with less than a million aged 18-49.

RELATED | History’s The Bible Outdraws The Walking Dead, Vikings Rises

For the night, Bates Motel checked in 4.6 million total viewers, with 2.4 mil in the 18-49 demo.

Bates Motel represents the very best of quality storytelling with an incredible cast led by Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore,” A&E boss Bob DeBitetto said in a statement. “We are extremely pleased with the initial viewer response to this edgy and provocative series and are confident that it will continue to draw in new audiences.”

RELATED | Monday Ratings: DWTS Premiere Dips, Broke Girls at Low, Deception Rises With Finale

As for Monday’s other big cable debut, the miniseries Top of the Lake, Sundance Channel is not Nielsen-rated so no premiere numbers are available.

• Jake says:

I agree. I thought it was excellent. The acting was top notch, and the story had me on the edge of my seat (in that wonderful mystery/thriller) sort of way. I’ll definitely be watching this series. On a side note, it made me REALLY want to watch the original Psycho again. I need to track down a copy for my collection.

1. kirads09 says:

I like it. Watched the premier On Demand before last night. Glad it is doing well. Freddie really must’ve studied Anthony Perkins. He has the smirky half smile, inner conflict and mannerisms down and does an incredible job. The incestuous implications I find far more creepy than the murders to be honest. Slightly reminiscent of Psycho IV in which Norman calls into a radio program hosted by the incredible CCH Pounder. He procedes to explain to her his mother and upbringing.

2. Alyssa says:

This show was amazing. Glad it did well.

3. Kathy says:

Why is it set in today’s time frame, I’m confused?

4. Kevin says:

See I hated it, and thought only Farmiga was the best part

5. nick1372 says:

FYI, this is equivalent to a 1.3 rating. That’s very good for a cable show.

6. Alienate says:

Whatever…… Just bring season 2 of Longmire ASAP!

7. Teag says:

Hope ratings stay up for next week (and after)

8. Jade says:

Freddie Highmore played Norman to perfection,even if his accent was coming through in some parts. If I’m being honest I didn’t LOVE the pilot but I’m expecting it to pick up in the next couple episodes. I’ll be sticking around for awhile.

9. Ruby says:

I absolutely LOVED it. I think this is going to be my new obsession, actually.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

No grading poll? I was curious to see what people thought of it. I didn’t watch. I’m wondering if I should try it, but I need peer pressure to make me do it. :)

11. Hurley says:

I really liked it. I’ll be sticking around for sure…

12. Doug says:

The question is: did the sheriff peek into the shower? I vote yes. Otherwise, out will be a very disapppointing show.

13. Louis Morino says:

Loved it.cant wait till monday for next episode.im hooked!

14. Louis Morino says:

Omg so many annoying commercials.Thank god for DVR.Fast forwarded pesky ads. Another great episode,wish it was on 3 times a week. I love this show!!!

15. arnie says:

please don’t kill off emma she is a doll..great show i watch faithfully..almost as good as boardwalk empire.