Office Alterna-Cast Shocker: Adam Scott as Jim? Mary Lynn Rajskub as Pam? And More!

Adam ScottThe Office star Rainn Wilson Monday posted a Facebook photo of a preliminary casting call sheet from the NBC sitcom’s early days — and we’re willing to bet you recognize a few names on the list.

Wilson and co-star Jenna Fischer are there, of course, but we’re more blown away by some of their competition.

Try to imagine that Season 2 “Casino Night” kiss with Parks and Recreation‘s Adam Scott as Jim and 24‘s Mary Lynn Rajskub as Pam

How about “Diversity Day” with Suburgatory‘s Alan Tudyk playing Michael? Or The New Adventures of Old Christine‘s Hamish Linklater and Covert Affairs‘ Anne Dudek walking down the aisle in “Niagara”?

Take a look for yourself below.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: Rainn Wilson Is CBS’ Backstrom

office casting sheet

Fischer talked about the Jim-Pam casting process with NPR’s Fresh Air in 2008. “They took four Pams and four Jims and four Dwights and four Michaels, and they brought us into a real office. And they filmed us with a camera for two days, mixing and matching us.”

She was matched with John [Krasinski] several times during that time period. After, “he turned to me and he said, ‘You’re my favorite Pam. I hope you get this job.’…  I said, ‘I’m so glad you said that, because you’re my favorite Jim, and I don’t think anyone could do it except for you.’”

RELATED | Steve Carrell Formally Nixes Office Finale Comeback: ‘It Didn’t Make Sense’

The Office wrapped production on its final season last Friday. The series finale will air Thursday, May 16, at 9/8c.

Peruse the list, then hit the comments: Which potential casting would you most have liked to see?

1. kate says:

Mary Lynn Rajskub as Pam? Crazy.

• Derek Johnson says:

If they had cast her, it would have been the weirdest thing. Of all the names up there, I could so see Pam’s role turning out differently with her.

2. Esaul says:

I don’t know I could see Alan Tudyk playing Michael in an alternate universe. He’s kinda quirky on Suburgatory, but not in a Michael Scott sorta way.

3. Eric says:

Whoa. I can totally picture Adam Scott as Jim, but Hamish Linklater? That would be weird, even though I think he’s awesome.

And Alan Tudyk as Michael. I’m fangirling just thinking about it.

4. Jessie says:

I think the casting was perfect as it was. I couldn’t imagine anyone else as these characters. The only two that could have come close on this list is Alan Tudyk as Michael and Adam Scott as Jim, but it would have been a different show. And I couldn’t see any of these other actresses as Pam. Jenna Fischer was the perfect Pam.

• CaptainOats says:

I could actually see Anne Dudek as Pam. I think it would have been pretty similar, actually. But maybe w/a bit more edge.

5. rebecca says:

I’ve absolutely adored watching Jim & Pam falling in love, getting married & starting a family – I cannot imagine these roles being played by anyone but Jenna & John. Definitely 1 of my favorite couples of all time.

6. CJ says:

I can weirdly picture Alan Tudyk as Michael Scott. That feels almost blasphemous to say, but I can see it. The others, not so much. Especially the Dwights!

7. Tony says:

I can easily picture Adam Scott as Jim, but I’m glad he isn’t, otherwise he wouldn’t be on Parks, which is the best comedy on TV this season.

8. Amanda says:

Alan Tudyk as Michael would’ve been epic – and the show would’ve been much different.

9. Kris says:

I could totally see Adam Scott as Jim. He basically just plays a nerdier Jim on Parks & Rec. Alan Tudyk could work as what Michael eventually became, but the original conception of the character was much different. For the what the creators originally envisioned for Michael Scott, I could see Ben Falcone in that role.

10. Maggie says:

Ben Falcone as Michael? Isn’t he Melissa McCarthy’s husband? What a different show that would have been…

11. Sarah says:

I love John Krasinski as Jim, but it’s really easy to imagine Adam Scott in that role. Ben Wyatt and Jim Halpert play similar roles on their respective shows. I cannot picture anyone else as Dwight or Michael though.

12. Zachary says:

I could not see Anne Dudek as Pam. While a good actor, she has minimal likability. Perhaps as Angela, I could see that working. But she always (The Book Group, HIMYM, House, Psych) plays rather brash characters. I also think Adam Scott is a bit too poised to be Jim. Could totally see Mary Lynn Rajskub as a slightly ballsier Pam. And Ben Falconr would have dominated as Michael.

13. Jessie says:

@Zachary, the whole point of Pam’s character, in the first three seasons at least, is that she wasn’t ballsy at all, the opposite in fact. That’s why Mary Lynn Rajskub wouldn’t have worked as Pam. She wouldn’t have been downtrodden enough. Jenna Fischer was the perfect blend of insecure yet sweet so that you felt sympathy for her, rather than contempt.

14. Lucy says:

Alan Tudyk would have been so much better as Michael Scott. Steve Carrell was fine for about 2 seasons, and then was awful and pretty much ruined the show for me. Alan Tudyk? He can do no wrong.

15. lara says:

I love me some Adam Scott, and I don’t think that there is anything I could not love him in. But, I’m glad that he ended up in Parks and the world got introduced to John Krasinski.

16. Delirious says:

Gotta ask – who were the other 2 Jims?

If Fischer said they tried to match 4 of each, we’re missing 2 Jims in the signsheet. There’s 4 of each of the other chars, 14 in total…

17. Jill Boyd says:

Thanks for sharing this. It’s so fun to see the behind the scenes stuff.