Exclusive

Pilot Scoop: Ben and Kate's Nat Faxon Joins ABC's Spy as Paget Brewster's Boyfriend

Nat Faxon Cast ABC Pilot SpyFormer Ben and Kate star Nat Faxon has rebounded with a potentially recurring role in ABC’s single-camera comedy pilot Spy, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Based on the UK satire, Spy follows Tim (Rob Corddry), the well-intentioned father of a highly intelligent and verbal son (Mockingbird Lane‘s Mason Cook) who inadvertently takes a job at the Secret Service in order to prove himself a worthy dad. Ken Jeong (Community) portrays Tim’s new boss aka The Examiner, and Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) co-stars as Tim’s ex-wife, Erica.

Faxon — who appears as a guest star in the pilot but will likely be seen again should the project be ordered to series — will play Alan, the new boyfriend of Erica who desperately wants to be friends with Tim.

Simeon Goulden, creator of the British Spy, penned the script.

1. George says:

He looks “under the influence” in that photo.

2. dude says:

Nat Faxon? Rob Corddry? It’s like they don’t want this to be good.

• Name says:

beautiful teeth Faxton was annoying in that other show, but here he’s an antagonist we’re not suppose to identify with so it may work, and Corddly is good.

3. Jessie says:

I think Nat Faxon is good casting for this part. He actually looks like the guy who plays it in the British series. I cannot see Rob Corddry as the Tim character though. I don’t understand that casting. He needs to be really goofy and hapless. To be honest, I just can’t see anyone other than Darren Boyd from the British version in the part . He is absolutely sublime.

• Zachary says:

Darren Boyd is excellent as Tim. They should have cast Scott Foley as Tim. Could have also gone with Will Forte, Kyle Bornheimer or Colin Ferguson. Rob Corddry is a horrible choice, and there is no way in Hell he could have at one point been married to Paget Brewster.

Faxon does look like Tom Goodman-Hill, who played Philip (the UK equivalent of Alan) in season 1. Brewster should do fine, although it’s not a very fulfilling role.

They cast a newcomer as Chris. Not familiar with his work, but Jon Heder would have been perfect.

Ken Jeong is decent, but The Examiner should be someone more in the vein of Christian Slater. Someone more mysterious.

Still, I will check this out, and it is one of the ABC pilots I hope go forward.

• Eric says:

Actually, Scott Foley would have been an AWESOME choice for Tim…

• Drewer says:

Scott Foley would have been so perfect! But I think Nat Faxon will be good, he seems right for the roll. And I’ll be forgiving about casting for that roll since they changed guys between series on the British show anyway, I didn’t like the second guy as much..

4. John says:

Wow. That is a horrible picture.

5. Sarah says:

Love Paget to bits, but I hate this dude and his massive Alien teeth.

6. Eric says:

Yes! I’m so glad Faxon got a new role so soon after Ben & Kate (which was amazing) tanked. I really hope this one goes to series, it looks promising. The original British series is excellent.

And people seriously need to stop hating Nat simply for his teeth. He’s really, really funny and people should give him a chance. Don’t dwell on physical imperfections. It makes you all look petty.

7. Ella B. says:

love Love LOVE Paget, wish I wasn’t so worried about the rest of the cast though, I want her to get/be able to stick with a successful comedy so badly.

8. Zachary says:

Why dwell on Nat’s teeth, when you could go to town on Rob Corddry’s laundry list of physical imperfections. And at least Nat Faxon is funny, although Ben and Kate was a pretty lame show.

9. Jade says:

Nat Faxon just isn’t leading man material. Another series I won’t be watching.

10. Rrrroberttt says:

I was so excited to hear this show was being remade.Then every single casting announcement i read is bad, bad, bad. Great cast all in the wrong roles.