Ratings: Girls Season Finale Down Sharply

Girls Season 2 Finale ratingsOh, boy: Sunday’s polarizing Season 2 finale of HBO’s Girls drew 632K sets of eyeballs, a 37 percent drop from the comedy’s Season 1 capper last year (1 million) and a

17 percent dip from January’s S2 opener (866K).

RELATED | Girls Season 2 Finale — Love It or Hate It?

HBO, which has already renewed the Lena Dunham comedy for a third season, points out that the finale drew 1.1 million over three airings (vs. more than 2 million for S1 finale). The pay cabler also notes that Sunday’s initial tally will spike when HBO On Demand and HBO GO data is factored in.

1. Rebecca says:

I actually really liked the Girls finale. The past few eps have been really hard to watch.

• Mitholas says:

Yeah, this episode was great. The season was really uneven in general, but when it was good, it was great. Last week’s episode was pretty rough though.

2. aees says:

still convinced the only ones making a big hoopla about this show are the media and critics. Its boring and awful.

• i really believe it’s the worst show on tv

• I fully agree. I’ve tried to see WHY there was so much to-do about it. Just was bored out of my skull and it cured my insomnia.

• cassey says:

I’ll third this. I’ve tried several times to get into this show. Mostly I just find it ridiculous. If a show has to try so hard to be “edgy”, it’s exactly the opposite of “edgy”.

• Lizzy says:

I completely agree. I’ve stopped watching it because it’s gross and icky and always left me feeling bad. It isn’t funny and the characters are awful people. I’m just not “hip” and I don’t care to be if this is what is supposed to be “the voice of a generation”. There are so many more well written shows out there. It’s just one of those flukes that I hope gets cancelled. I am rarely so vitriolic but seriously. It’s just not good.

• Francesca says:

^ THIS. 100 times this. AWFUL! I don’t feel represented AT ALL. We are so much better that this ridiculous characters!

• B! says:

Are you serious guys? This show is comical, dramatic and brazen. Sometimes it’s so cringe-worthy, but so honest. You clearly haven’t live or seen enough.

• Waitingsux says:

I’ve lived and seen enough to realize how awful this show is. Seems like the ratings agree.

Lena Dunham is a narcissistic egomaniac. She should just rename the show “Hannah” since she gives her character 90% of the airtime.

Hope HBO cancels this POS show.

• jackie2830 says:

Totally agree…….I power slammed all 1st season episodes to be ready for this one. What a waste….if I wanted some girls dirty diary fantasies, I’d put on the Adult channel. Nothing artistic about this…..just junk, no real storyline whatsoever. Stopped watching 3 weeks ago.

3. buffy522 says:

Love “Girls”.

4. Marty says:

INB4: Cancel it! – Lena Dunham is gross – NY isn’t really like this! – Do 22-25 year old girls really seem themselves like this?

5. Candice says:

and yet this show gets so much hype. the ratings are laughable.

• Spencer says:

It’s on HBO though. No HBO or Showtime show will ever have the ratings that big network shows do simply because a lot less people have access to it.

• Ant says:

Still these are pretty bad ratings even for HBO

• CharlieTuna says:

Game of Thrones grossed over 10 million viewers per episode during season 2 so clearly being on HBO isn’t the issue.

• Bill in LA says:

And back in HBO’s heyday The Sopranos did close to 10 million live each week and I think SATC was close behind. I know HBO likes to talk a lot about HBOGo and On Demand but neither of those formats are monitored by outside sources and they also don’t take into account repeat viewings and people who watch a portion and then re-watch later. Those people are counted twice even though they only watched once.

But like I said on another thread. When Game of Thrones opens to huge amounts of live viewers in two weeks you won’t hear HBO groaning on and on about the new ways people watch TV. They’ll be bragging about live numbers.

6. Jason says:

‘Girls’ is the worst. I’m hoping I won’t have to hear about or see Lena Dunham for a while now that the season finale has aired.

7. J says:

The season started out very promising and then they introduced the whole OCD story line, which would have been believable if they had mentioned it in any of the first few episodes of the show, it came out of nowhere.

Also never liked Adam, a disgusting human being (the shot of him drinking milk and chewing on the lumps, I cannot get that vision out of my mind *yuck*), so ending the finale with Hannah getting back together with him was my least favorite part of this episode.

8. Mark says:

For a mediocre show, Girls certainly inspires a love-it-or-hate-it reaction from the Internet. I’ve encountered very few people who truthfully just don’t care about it.

9. meem says:

I truthfully just don’t care about it. Only watched the episode with Patrick Wilson in it, because, well, he’s Patrick Wilson.

• Bryan says:

Maybe watch the first season and you can develop an opinion worth posting about. No one cares about the second rate actor you have a crush on. For real, if you have an artistic criticism about the show then by all means, type. If you’re going to talk about your middle-aged housewife wet dream then go to a romantic novel forum like every other self-respecting forty something year old.

10. Teeny Bikini says:

Eh. The show was awful this season.

11. ... says:

Although I’m not a fan of the show or the ridiculous fawning it inspires from TV critics, it should be noted that the first season finale aired on a night with Game of Thrones, one of HBO’s top-rated programs. Plus, it had to air on its own last night rather than as a part of a night of three (GoT, Veep) or two (Enlightened) shows.

12. RyanJames says:

I never really enjoyed Girls. I watched it because I almost felt like I had to be missing something. Don’t get me wrong I loved Shoshanna but she is so underused that I decided to give it up. After reading about the finale I think it is a good thing I did.

13. Bear75 says:

I loved the first season of this show but in the middle of the second, it feels like it got lost somewhere in its own hype. The last couple of episodes have felt so far removed from each of the original characters; that I’ve barely recognised any of them. Marni and that song, Shosh and her pandering to the sponging Ray and Hannah’s OCD – wtf? I kept expecting (hoping!) Jessa would waltz in, call them all f*cking dicks and then have them all laugh and agree and get back to normal. Adam is the most consistent character as he’s always been a bit gross (milk lumps anyone?) and misogynistic when it comes to relationships and although his defiling of his good-for-him girlfriend was hard to watch; it was totally true to form. Expecting us to believe that Hannah would get back with him however, was definitely not…
    I hope season 3 gets them back on track to the characters we could laugh at and with! :)

• Bryan says:

Thank you! Finally someone with some sense not to just disregard the show as a whole, but to actually dissect it and break down what went wrong.

• smoopiesmoopie says:

I totally agree with both of you and i think the spiral downwards of the show might be because they changed the person who directed the episode. Up until episode 2 of season 1, Lena Dunham was the one to direct it, after that, several other persons got the job.
        Im a huge fan, but please make more season 1-like episodes!

14. PutAForkInIt says:

I don’t know ANYONE who watches this show.
    I tried to watch the first ep of season 1 and was turned off in 1 second flat.

• Ana says:

This is EXACTLY my experience. Don’t know anyone who watches and because of all the hype, I tried the first epi of season one and couldn’t get through the first few minutes. I found it to be unbelievably un-relatable and uninspiring. I’m sure it was going for ‘original’ and ‘fresh’ but to me it’s just in incredibly bad taste. And I wish I didn’t know anything about it but it pops up on sites and boards I visit because, IMO, the critics are much more enthusiastic about this show than actual people.

15. Mel says:

It’s sitting on the DVR. I will watch it because I’m just not a quiter, but I have to say the last 4 or 5 episodes have been seriously depressing. I really liked the first season, and thought it was pretty hysterical at times, however, now, the best thing I can say about it is it’s only a 1/2 hour show, so I’m only wasting 5 hours a year. I don’t know if I will check it out next year or not, but you know the old saying, “time heals all wounds.”

16. TheMediaFan says:

HBO doesn’t care about live viewers. Those claiming the show is not a hit need to be reminded that the ratings increase dramatically to about 4 million when OnDemand is figured in.

• Bill in LA says:

Oh, man. I love this one. First off, even HBO has never claimed 4 mil. They said 3.8 turned into the premiere episode of Season 2. Which was the highest rated Girls this year. Second. If you think they don’t care about live viewership you might not want to read the press release they send out when Game of Thrones starts its second season. Because HBO is going to be talking a lot about live viewers when that happens!

17. Joe says:

HBO & members of the media have too much invested in Ms. Dunham to admit defeat. They’re going to hand her more trophies and shove her down our throats until we wretch. That being said, the episode with Patrick Wilson that everyone hated, I loved in a short film kind of way. The rest of this series is complete utter garbage though and while the rallying cry is “these are real Girls like me!” I’m not so sure that seeing them all decompose on a weekly TV series is doing much else than letting them know it’s okay to be narcissistic delusional sociopaths. It’s like bad reality TV with a script at this point. It’s not holding up a mirror to life. It’s holding up a magnifying glass and burning people like ants in the sun.

18. Jason says:

Honestly this show has became too unrealistic and the characters are caricatures. I dont want a whole season of people wallowing alone in self pity. Most of the characters are extremely unlikeable, personally this is how it breaks down for me:
    Girls characters I dislike: Hannah, Jessa, Marnie, Ray, Charlie
    Girls characters I like: Shosh, Adam

19. CharlieS says:

I’ve tried watching the first season couldn’t get past the first episode it was god awful

20. Sarabi says:

This season had a great start, but since Jessa left it has been subpar. I don’t know if that’s a coincidence or not. I only liked Shoshanna’s and (surprisingly) Adam’s storyline in the last few episodes.

21. Josh says:

I can’t believe this show was already renewed while Enlightened is hanging out in limbo, and is likely to be canceled.

22. Rjrtist says:

The writing goes hand in hand with the acting. Don’t get me started about the directing either.

23. Jen says:

Does this make Enlightened look better by comparison? I hope so.

24. JJ says:

Hopefully this will help deflate Dunham’s out-of-control ego.

25. B says:

this is the worst show ever. everybody talking about it but i really cant watch. just dont get it.

26. WC says:

It’s amazing that HBO has spent so much money promoting Girls, and it has received so much buzz, yet still can’t draw a solid audience. It makes me wonder how well Enlightened would have done with even half the attention that Girls gets. I suspect that Enlightened has already basically been cancelled, but maybe they’ll reconsider. How much could it really cost HBO to produce 8 more episodes of Enlightened?

27. kate says:

I wanted to like this show, and yet, I can’t. I’m exactly the age of the girls on the show, and I’m appalled. am I the only one who just doesn’t think Lena Dunham is funny? I’m not a prude or anything, but I just don’t find this show amusing. I thought maybe it was just the show, but I read Dunham’s story (article? I don’t remember if it was an article or fiction) in the New Yorker a few months back…it was awful too.

28. Jo says:

Season 1 was OK. Season 2 awful. Bring back Enlightened that’s a good show

29. Jade says:

I like Girls but it certainly isn’t appointment television by any means for me, I rather catch it on VOD when I get a chance. Girls used to be funny and quirky but the last couple episodes have taken a darker tone. I miss the funnier moments of the earlier episodes and season 1.

30. gg says:

Girls is one of the best shows on TV! Some people just don’t get it…

31. Serena says:

I love Girls and I don’t think it dipped in quality for the second season. It got darker which naturally turned some people away. Brilliant show, still.

32. Molly says:

Gee, you mean people don’t want to see a man jizz on a woman’s chest?

Note to Lena Dunham; You are a vile, untalented, revolting little pigwoman. You disgust me.

33. Alyssa says:

Hbo’s desperate spin is hilarious. ‘Nobody watched the finale, but our crystal ball predicts they will watch it on our app’. Lol. They want so badly to save face on renewing this disaster too early and they want to save face on the massive amount of money they paid the HFPA for the two golden globes.

34. shump says:

Girls Rules! I would suggest Ritalin to those who couldn’t sit through the first episode. Viewership will go up after Girls wins best comedy this September.

35. darcy the slutty twin says:

Well, I have to say this news makes me happy. I find this show too pretentious and trying to be in-your face edgy. I think the ultimate goal of this show is to fulfill Lena Dunham’s fantasies. Why does her character talk like Ellen Paige’s character in Juno? I want my TV to be populated by pretty, attractive people that I can fantasize about, not homely exhibitionists like Lena Dunham or skinny, pasty-looking boys that I’ve seen featured on this show.

36. andrew says:

Best show on TV right now.

37. Jane says:

I like Lena Dunham and I think she’s very talented, and I think the show is entertaining and amusing, with creative writing, not surprising seeing that she studied creative writing, but is there a point to it all? Is it just pure entertainment, or is it supposed to teach us something? I feel like it doesn’t really teach us anything, except for that you might have a hot girlfriend and not love her, and have a less than perfect girlfriend and love her. I don’t get any other message on this show. If anything, this show is a study in what not to do. Don’t do cocaine, don’t sexually assault your new girlfriend, don’t sleep with strangers, or enter their townhouses. But having said that, if this really is the lesson of the show, I don’t think Lena meant it that way. I think she probably thinks the show is very deep. I don’t understand the pure hatred people have toward Lena, but I can understand how a little bit of privilege might have been involved, for her to get this project started. She apparently had the same agent as Judd Apatow, before she got the show. How do you get the same agent as Judd Apatow, unless you have connections?

38. VOXPOP says:

the episode with patrick wilson was the start of the downfall in my opinion..it was SOOOO un-believable

39. volcanoroll says:

of course the show is trying to say something..that Gen Y are self absorbed, f*cked up and lost. it’s not sex and the city, it’s not a full blown comedy..it’s a commentary on today’s youth and it’s really well done. we are not meant to love every character, they are all flawed and quite easy to dislike…anyone looking for some fluff go watch Sex and the city re-runs

• Bill in LA says:

I think that’s what this article explains. People don’t want to watch it. They probably aren’t watching Sex and the City reruns – but they are watching Shameless, The Walking Dead, House of Lies, Revenge and a myriad of other shows. Some are even reading books.

And BTW – they are plenty of Gen Y people who are not selfish, not f-ed up and do not live in Brooklyn. I think you’re mistaking spoiled, rich white kids from certain universities for a generation of people.

40. Leah says:

I liked the first season a lot, however somewhere in the middle of the second season it lost me. I stuck with it through the finale which I liked but the few episodes prior to that left a bad taste in my mouth to the point that I sort of felt done with the entire series.

41. tafkafi says:

They renewed Girls for a 3rd season and yet they cancelled Enlightened……Wow.

42. Tewsley mom says:

I personally felt that this season of Girls was a little bit slower than the first season but this finale was epic. I loved the ending. It was brilliantly written. I loved how Adam found the “perfect” girl who was also all wrong for him and then found his way back to Hannah. The scene of him running through the streets and then kicking down the door and scooping up Hannah to rescue her was so romantic and timeless and yet so modern and fresh. Thank you for this.

43. KarenMpls says:

I watched season one, found it sort of interesting and it had some funny moments. I found the dynamics of the relationships could be portrayed well at times, but after a while, it was just not worth watching. After the ping pong scene, I was out-completely. I think it’s really arrogant and condescending to say that a person must not like the show because they “don’t get it.” Honestly, I think there are many people who do get it, and that’s why they don’t like it. HBO has some quality television. Girls just doesn’t do it for me.