Girls Season 2 Finale Recap: 'No One Really Cares If I Get Cut With Glass'

girls-hbo-season-2-finale-lena-dunhamIf you haven’t seen the Season 2 finale of Girls — check yourself before you wreck yourself with spoilers. Everyone else, read on!

Welcome to the Season 2 finale of Girls — or as I like to think of it, the most horrifyingly awful ending to a regressive Hollywood rom-com that you never wanted to see.

Just last week, we saw caveman creep Adam sexually degrading his lovely girlfriend Natalia (Shiri Appleby), and yet before the visual of the, er, fruits of his handiwork could be scrubbed from our minds (and from Natalia’s chest), we’re now forced to swallow series creator Lena Dunham’s reimagining of this unredeemable character. Look! It’s Adam running through the streets of Brooklyn, shirtless and sweaty, music swelling like he’s Tom Hanks about to stumble upon a young Meg Ryan in a rainstorm, and coming to the rescue of our damsel protagonist in distress! And as if he’s not violent enough/Hannah’s not pathetic enough, he’s got to kick in her door, pull the dusty rose comforter from over her trembling form, and cradle her in his arms like a tiny baby (before they begin to kiss).

Jesus, Mary and Gloria Steinem, if this is the voice of a generation speaking, then it’s time for said voice to take a sabbatical.

Why am I so angry? Maybe because I’ve enjoyed so much of Girls‘ first two seasons — the comic horrors of Hannah and her friends navigating the sexual minefields of modern big-city dating, of trying to solidify their financial and professional futures in an economy that can’t pay them enough to cover rent and their student loans. At its best, Girls has been sharp and funny and unapologetic in its idea that young women can be messy and promiscuous and infuriating, but still have a core loyalty to their friends and a desire to make something of themselves, even if they don’t yet know what that something is.

But now, in the final two episodes of Season 2, we’ve discovered Hannah’s secret battle with obsessive compulsive disorder — a trifle strange that such a perpetual victim had never uttered a word about the condition in the show’s previous 18 episodes, no? — and suddenly the whole enterprise seems as ugly as one of Hannah’s ill-fitting rompers. It’s not just that Hannah is making a bad decision in needing to be resuced by a semi-stalkery, sexually malvelolent manchild. It’s that Lena Dunham is trying to sell us this fetid turn of events as a thing of beauty by wrapping it in a cheap, pink romcom bow. Perhaps just as bad, none of her female characters ever seem to have a chance to break away from being defined by the men in their lives — be it Marnie mooning over her suddenly monied ex or Shoshanna retreating from the older boyfriend who’s not ambitious enough or Hannah trying to garner our sympathies because, in her mid-20s, her “Daddy, being an adult is hard!” breakdowns don’t result in immediate financial and/or emotional bailouts. (Seriously, when was the last time Shoshanna said/did anything related to her classes or her career ambitions? You know this fiercely weird chick has a much richer inner life than worrying about Ray 24/7!) Of course, maybe Jessa is off finding her own fulfillment, but apparently that’s not interesting enough for TV.

Whew. Okay, rant over. Let’s recap the week’s proceedings:

* Ray, determined to quell Shoshanna’s fears about his lack of ambition, convinces his boss to give him a better title and more responsibility at Grumpy’s new Brooklyn Heights branch. Turns out, though, Shosh has more pressing concerns: “Sometimes I love you the way that, like, I feel sorry for a monkey. Like, they need so much help and they’re in such an ugly cage. You know what I mean?” Alas, the show’s best character reveals, she doesn’t want to be the only thing Ray loves/doesn’t hate. “Maybe I can real with your black soul better when I’m older,” she confesses, “but I can’t hadle it now.” Ray huffs that there’s a difference between negativity and critical thinking, but deep down, I think he knows better: He can’t even respect Shosh’s joy of going out to dinner! And thus, it’s splitsville for Girls‘ most delightfully wacky/winning duo — a sad, but ultimately inevitable/realistic turn of events. (Bee tee dubs, j’adore Shosh’s butterfly dress!)

* Marnie, at brunch with Charlie (after he’d rigorously made a breakfast out of her — sorry if that’s crude — it’s just not the kind of scene about which one can be all that polite) starts romanticizing their revisited connection: “We have all these experiences so we can settle down,” she coos, but then misinterprets his silence, causes a loud scene and storms off. When he chases her down on the sidewalk and she admits her goal in life is to make him nighttime snacks, have his “little brown babies” and eventually watch him die, he tears up and tells her it’s all he’s ever wanted to hear. “I love you: Maybe I’m an idiot for it, but I always have.” Does this mean happily ever after? Or is Marnie merely/temporarily settling for an idea of domestic bliss because she can’t really figure out what she wants to do for a living? Surely girlfriend has some goals that haven’t been completely subsumbed by this sudden need to make Charlie the center of her universe. I’m pretty sure of it, or at least rooting for it.

* And finally, we come to Adam and Hannah. In the episode’s best scene, Natalia — somehow forgiving last week’s “get on all fours” debacle — winds up back in bed with Adam. When she expresses her pleasure at what he’s doing, he takes a turn for the awful (as usual): “You’re a dirty whore and you love my c**k,” he grunts, to which Natalia replies, “No, I can like your c**k, and not be a whore. Do you understand?” (A hearty round of applause for a female Girls‘ character confidently expressing herself! Maybe Natalia can step in and replace MIA Jessa as a core pal in Season 3?)

Meanwhile, Hannah is mired in an OCD nightmare and a ringing in her ears from last episode Q-tip incident that has her book editor threatening to sue if she doesn’t produce her unsubmitted pages. When Hannah calls her dad and asks for money to “restore a little freedom to my creative process,” he wishes aloud he hadn’t let her fake sick and skip school so often as a girl. (The night’s funniest line: Hannah declaring did indeed diagonse her own scarlet feverfrom reading Louisa May Alcott.) Marnie swings by to visit her former roomie, but Hannah (eating Cool Whip from the tub) hides behind her bed and pretends she’s not home, as Marnie enters, sees a rather telling line typed on Hannah’s screen (“A friendship between college girls is grander and more dramatic than any romance”) and then exits while stealing/reclaiming a candleholder.

Hannah then proceeds to cut her own bangs to match those of Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan, and winds up turning to drug-addict downstairs neighbor Laird to finish the job she’d been botching. When he finishes a (decent) haircut, Hannah unloads how difficult she’s finding adulthood, noting that when she was a child and she’d broken something, her dad used to sweep in and clean it up so she didn’t get hurt. Now, “No one really cares if I get cut with glass,” she pouts, and while I know it’s supposed to make me feel sorry for her, all I want to do is yell, “Grow the f*** up!” When Hannah collapses in an OCD fit, then misinterprets Laird’s concern for a sexual advance, he calls her “the most self-involved, presumptuous person I have ever met.” She confirms his suspicions with this apology: “I didn’t think of you as a person and I understand now that was wrong.”

Unable to reach Jessa and unwilling to call “anorexic” Marnie or Shosh, Hannah FaceTimes Adam, feigns being okay, then finally admits she’s “really, really scared.” This appears to be a total turn-on for Adam — the idea that he can be the rescuer rather than an equal in a relationship with a fully functioning woman who’s able to express her wants and needs — and he sprints to the subway without bothering to put on a shirt, rushes to Hannah’s apartment and “saves the day” (as described in the intro to this recap).

Hannah (with hospital tag still on her wrist): You’re here.
Adam: I was always here.

Me? I’m not sure I’ll be here next season. Come on, Lena Dunham. You can do better.

What did you think of the Season 2 finale of Girls? Do you share my anger and irritation, or did I somehow miss the point? Sound off in the comments, and for all my TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Elly says:

Okay, I have been a little disappointed with this season but this episode was definitely better. And when Adam started running for Hannah…teared up a little.

• Jenna says:

I felt the same way! I was hoping for a better season finale, but I loved seeing Adam run to Hannah.

• Margo319 says:

I loved that moment, I also LOVED Charlie and Marnie proclaiming their love for one another. Great finale!

• Liza180 says:

I wish I could agree with you, but I saw Charlie as so pathetic to take her back when she is lost and making a fool out of herself. I would completely question why she wanted me back if I was him. I hope he dumps her next season. He deserves better.

• Gailer says:

Adam is everything to me in this show. I love him and the actor.

• Kathryn says:

You’ve GOT to be effing kidding me!!!! I laughed SOOO hard at how corny and over the top that was. That was Movie the Movie level of parody going on there!

• Kate says:

I agree, I think this review is a little reductive. I get especially sensitive when I hear the normally reasonable Slezak making another easy, “ugly romper” joke. I think there’s a lot more here than a needy girl whining and a rom-com ending mired in chauvinism. It’s not that these girls revolve around the men in their lives, but they use these relationships to work out issues that are bleeding over from their “real” problems. Michael kind of got that with his discussion of Marnie, but I think he’s being disingenuous to Hannah’s character. I think this review would have benefited from a night of sleep before posting. There’s some kind of implicit generation blindness here, that keeps this discussion of the show from reaching something meaningful.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I appreciate the counterpoint, Kate. I do see Michael’s point though… It seems a valid point of discussion.

• Lauren says:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your “generation blindness” comment. I’m a 26-year-old female recent college graduate starting out in a new city, and I relate to so many of these characters. I agree some episodes are better than others. But, watching this finale last night, I completely understood these storylines. I can see how some situations are frustrating to watch, but all of the relationship issues last night made sense to me. Shoshanna’s frustration with Ray has been growing for weeks now. As soon as Marnie saw the new Charlie, someone who had finally accomplished something, she saw what she had wanted him to be all along. Women in their 20s are confused. We make mistakes, make really poor decisions at times, learn from those decisions (sometimes), make more mistakes and eventually figure ourselves out. It just takes time.

P.S. I have had this same theory about adults who complain that the relationships on Glee are too inconsistent. I’m not defending Glee, by any means, but inconsistency in relationships is true to high school. High school kids hop around from one boyfriend/girlfriend to the next. They date each other within the same group and think nothing of it. Maybe the further you get from an age group, the less you are able to remember about what it was like to be that age.

• F says:

I agree, I found myself frustrated and annoyed at most of Michael’s rants. Whether part of it is generation blindness or not, he seems to be inappropriately using this absolute standard of “feminism” to critique the much more complex and contextual storylines and characters. It annoys me that he uses this in order to appear as if he’s trying to stand up for women and feminism when he’s really just reinforcing sexism– by applying a narrow view of “feminism” and highly critical standards to a show about girls, that would not otherwise be applied to shows about men/boys or other shows in general.

For example, Adam being “violent” when kicking down the door and leaping (hilariously) over a couch. I don’t see these traits as him being chauvinistic or even on the same spectrum of “violence” when he had degraded Natalia, but instead a part of his idiosyncratic, impulsive, passionate character traits. He was also at a point in the storyline where he obviously missed Hannah tremendously and was worried about her. Although I acknowledge that he definitely degraded Natalia and was in the wrong in the last episode, this doesn’t mean one cannot also believe that he is a troubled character with issues of his own to face. You don’t just label him violent and chauvinistic and forget about everything else.

Furthermore, I think it’s more interesting to talk about the sexual compatibility of him and Natalia vs. him and Hannah, and how this relates to being sexually adventurous vs. sexist? I think this is something many people think about and have experience with, and we rarely have a TV show bring this up in a way that makes us think about it critically.

It’s interesting that Lena is now painting this more positive picture of Adam but that in itself is a worthy plot point. Because it makes all of us think about whether we are sympathetic to him or not, and why or why not. How do our own experiences and definitions of feminism affect this? Perhaps because Michael has not himself had borderline-degrading (such as BDSM) sex where someone calls him a “dirty little whore” (in fact I can’t even think of the equivalent word for males that would have the same effect) that causes him to question “did I enjoy that or do I feel degraded?” And “is my sexual partner loving/adventurous or violent/bad?”

Also, I don’t think “pathetic” is an accurate description of Hannah. S ure, if you use certain criteria for feminism (independent, not-emotional, career-driven), and know nothing about her character, and ignore that OCD is a mental illness, then fine.

But feminism isn’t about fitting a mold of what a woman should be but about allowing women to be whatever the hell they want and not judging them for it. Assuming that being a feminist means being independent/not-emotional/career-driven is implying that there are “feminine” traits and there are “masculine” traits and the latter are superior. How about just saying there are gender-neutral traits and anybody take on any of them?

Also her character is a spoiled 20-something year old so what do you expect. Again he is failing to take context into account. Moreover, he is not asking the same questions as applied to males in TV shows, being inherently sexist in his critique. How many other 20-something male characters these days are perfect and fit the mold of being what “a man” (however you define it) should be? A big point of these shows is to show their EVOLUTION (or devolution) over time. And how boring would it be to watch shows where the characters are already at their peak of “womanhood”/”manhood”?

And lastly, she has freaking OCD — that is a mental illness, it doesn’t make her pathetic, it makes her ill. People need to stop conflating mental illness with weakness.

• Well said. Thank you.

• J Levin says:

Degraded Natalia? It is called a pearl necklace, and it is in keeping with Natalia’s request of not coming inside her. You guys are the 50 Shades of Grey readers and can’t handle the young male fantasy and banter that Adam needs in order to reach orgasm with this chick that doesn’t have a clue who he is?

• F says:

I think you missed my point on the ambiguity between degrading sex and sexy sex. I can only go by Shiri’s acting in the scene and from there all of us may have a different opinion of it, whether it was degrading or a fine pearl necklace. As long as both partners and consenting and enjoying it, it’s good in my book.

• theschu says:

This is one of the best comments I’ve read today about the episode and the show. I think everyone is so quick to just vomit their reactions without thinking about why the characters did what they did and behaved the way they behaved. I’m 35 and remember quite clearly trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted while having just moved to a big city (LA). Not all my choices were good ones. Not all my relationships were perfect. I had money problems and procrastination problems. I wasn’t always “likable”. I think the show is much more realistic than people either give it credit for or maybe, even want. Maybe they think they want something realistic and different but when it’s given to them they complain about how the characters aren’t likable enough.

So thanks for your thoughtful comment.

• Katharine says:

Do people not get it that life is complicated and not all neat and squeezy rom com delight. It is hard to be an adult, grown up or not. People make relationships with imperfect people. Yes and people DO hide OCD until it gets out and becomes a monster and they can’t hide it any more. It is embarrassing to have it. Get it Michael? And doesn’t everyone who is alone and confused just want an Adam to do that great thing and run, run, run to be with them, and didn’t he just redeem himself somewhat by doing that?

• Teeny Bikini says:

I fell for Adam running too. I love the actor, but it hardly redeems him from last week’s debaucle – which I found very disturbing. I also get Michael’s point – do these women always always need to be defined or rescued by a man? That said, I picked the most awful dudes in my 20’s too so I can relate – and I am glad that is o.v.e.r. But Adam – yeah, so so hot!

• Lauren says:

“That said, I picked the most awful dudes in my 20’s too so I can relate.” <Exactly!! These characters aren't supposed to be perfect! They aren't always going to make the best decisions. That's what we love about them. Real life isn't perfect, either.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I hear that, Lauren ;) I do think Lena Dunham does a great job of not shying away from uncomfortable topics. That is one of the reasons I keep coming back… I appreciate it.

• Dane says:

I think the show sold out. I love Adam.. but he can’t be redeemed by ‘rescuing’ Hannah and turning the rescue romantic. They needed to evolve the character before making him suitable for ANYONE. JMHO.

• Joe says:

When I saw that Judd Apatow co-wrote the episode, I almost started to wonder if the obvious sappy happy ending was Lena’s producer/mentor coming in to give the show the Hollywood “happy” ending he thought the audience needed after a horrid season. Clearly from looking at the comments, a lot of you ladies were swooning at a guy who humiliated & date raped a female role model-esque character an episode ago. Some of you are so programmed to eat up the Hollywood treatment that you can’t think for yourselves. Cue music, running and cradling your alter ego and you turn into puddles. I’m no longer surprised serial killers get women to marry them from prison.
      That being said, if Lena & Judd’s intention was to show you all how ridiculous you are for cheering for two destructive sociopaths to get back together, then they are brilliant and I applaud them. If that was pandering to the fans to make them swoon, this show should be cancelled. I don’t know…I have a feeling they’re both sitting back laughing at every single one of the commenters who notably “swooned” at that ending feeling sorry for you.

• Shucks says:

This is dead on. Agree 100%. I personally think, or maybe hope, that this will prove to be a figment of Hannah’s imagination as she loses it, because otherwise, Lena Dunham is an awful writer who has no grasp on either character or plot development.

• theschu says:

“Some of you are so programmed to eat up the Hollywood treatment that you can’t think for yourselves.”

Does that also include yourself who thinks that just because Adam got aggressive with his girlfriend and acted out some porny sexual fantasy which she never said no to that that means that he “humiliated & date raped” her?

Seriously?

• Joe says:

Let’s see – she look frightened in the moment by him. He overpowered her and did things she told him not to do. She told him not to finish on her and he didn’t listen then wrapped it up by telling him she didn’t like it…so yeah, no humiliation or force was used in that scene….

• theschu says:

Actually she was worried about him going down on her because she hadn’t showered and he said he didn’t care. Then she asked him not to finish on her dress which he didn’t because she pulled it down. She’s been established as someone who says exactly what she wants and what she likes and doesn’t like. So while I do think that what he did went beyond what was comfortable for her, he by no means date-raped her.

• F says:

Why would Natalia be “role model-esque”? She represents the traditionally defined young woman that women in the new generation are constantly oppressed by and trying to move past. She is skinny, conventionally beautiful, and (judging by her friend’s engagement) looking to get married at some point in her 20s. How about the MANY MORE “imperfect” and real women that Hannah’s character might ring true for?

Yet another man coming in and trying to act like he knows what feminism means or what women should aspire to. Sick of that sh*.

• Joe says:

She is role model-esque. She has a job. She’s not afraid to speak her mind about what she wants or expects in bed. She understands people are flawed coming from an alcoholic parent who she clearly communicates enough with and trusts to take her advice about dating a fellow AA member. We’ve only seen small bits of her, but she’s a far more functional human being than any of the 4 main characters. Just because she’s not a giant bruised peach like Hannah doesn’t make her set back the cause of feminism. I think an independent forgiving woman who knows what she wants and is willing to give people second chances in life is a pretty good role model. Hannah, however, is a wart and it has nothing to do with her looks. It’s because she’s a wart. It’s how she’s drawn. Her parents have had enough. Most of her friends can’t handle her. She makes constant excuses for herself that don’t fly in the real world. Not many of those people, male or female, honestly turn out to be Lena Dunham later in life.

• Katharine says:

It’s not about SWOONING, which is something guys seem to think women do. Maybe some women do… It’s about recognising that a bad person can do a good thing, and you don’t always have to go back and say yeah but he was SO BAD yesterday. This time, he did good. He showed love. AND it was hilariously funny as well as sad.

• Phil 13 says:

Good God I’m not really replying to this particular post but to Slezak’s “Come on Lena Dunham. You can do better.” Are you sure dude? I started watching this show “by accident” and just like an accident you can’t take your eyes off, I kept watching. Who really, but really thinks this show is well written and has anything to say? How many times do we have to hear Hannah (Dunham) ask whether “do you think I’m beautiful?” and actually have someone say she IS beautiful. I had to crack up the time she asked the question of the doctor in the townhouse and he actually said “yes”.
      Notice Dunham never has any of the guys in the show ask “gee, do you think I’m handsome?'”
      It’s because other than the doctor and her gay boyfriend, they’re not. The closest they came to exploring that was when Adam told Ray they were funny looking. But Dunham insists on being told she’s beautiful. Sweetie—you’re not. Yes, I’m mixing the characters and the actors as if there is no real difference between them…and I sort of think there isn’t. If half of this stuff is going on in Lena Dunham’s head…And Adam–yup, creepy-creepy not charming creepy. Shoshana? Shut the f–k up you absolutely dumb and unattractive creature.
      But listen, if there are enough people out there in therapy or not that think these characters are funny and normal,- keep watching. I’m done.

2. Margo319 says:

It was an amazing finale with a bunch of flawed, realistic characters. Amazing. You complain a lot in your reviews. Shhhhh….

• eileen says:

My thoughts exactly! Why bother recapping a show you seem to hate so much! I absolutely LOVED this episode. And the beauty of the sudden romcom produced by Adam running to Hannah is that she is the antithesis of the women featured in romcoms. She has the haircut of a 12 year old boy, is wholly selfish, completely absurd and someone still finds he lovable. They get each other in a way no one else could. It is entirely romantic and really comforting! Quit bashing everything Adam!

• Kate says:

“Why bother recapping a show you hate so much?” … It’s his job.

• Josh says:

I think you are taking the review (and show?) far too personally. Which is why we need people like Slezak reviewing the show, who can separate the characters from their own lives.

• eileen says:

If you are not taking the show personally, why make the effort to read the recap? That is the beauty of art. You interpret and relate to it in personal ways, even though it has nothing to do with your actual person. The non stop ragging on the show gets tired. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. But complaining about Hannah’s rompers is really getting old. If you are getting it by the end of season 2, you aren’t going to.

• JenF says:

So he’s only allowed to write about the episodes that he loves? I think it’s ok for someone to speak critically of a show they do love if they don’t like certain episodes.

• Sara says:

Slezak has been one of the show’s major supporters since it premiered. The “beauty of art” is that it starts conversation and discussion. The only discussion you seem to want to have is one that heaps praise on a show that had, in some viewers’ minds, major flaws this season. Discuss your differences of opinion, but don’t just go straight to the “why are you even recapping this show” argument while trying to talk about the beauty of art.

3. D'Arcy says:

I agree Michael. What a bad ending. I felt very “meh” about it.

Adam running for Hannah on the phone? Urgh. That is romcom all over.

• Teeny Bikini says:

The push for a romcom ending was just so awkward, considering how brutally raw the characterizations of the women and men where this season. It just seemed to easy. And I will never see Adam’s character the same after last week – so it all felt a bit incongruous, to say the least.

4. Amanda says:

I thought this episode was actually really great as a season ender. The best of the season, maybe. I thought it was very realistic that both Marnie and Hannah went back to their exes here — because that is sadly what a lot confused and lost girls in their early/mid-20s often do (at least, those who I have come to know and I am at the same age as these girls are supposed to be). It gives them a sense of momentary stability and love. But the audience knows that all of this will blow up sooner rather than later. That’s the point!

• Liza180 says:

So true! I feel Hannah and Adam are suited for each other because they are both weird and socially handicapped. They somehow fit together. But Marni and Charlie are pathetic. I really hope he realizes the idea of Marni is totally different than the real marni and dumps her hard. She is way more interesting when things aren’t going her way.

5. Tommy says:

Hannah’s OCD has been mentioned before. In season one during Hannah and Marnie’s “you are the wound”/bad friend argument Marnie mentioned how Hannah had to masturbate eight times a night just to fall asleep. I thought it was a great finale. I loved all the romcom cheesiness. Adams line “I was always here” definitely got me a tad emotional. It just felt like there was more closure then watching Hannah eat left over wedding cake on a Coney Island beach (my only dislike of season 1)

• Amanda says:

Yes, I’m glad someone else picked up on the fact that the OCD had been brought up before! I actually love that they brought this in as a storyline for Hannah. It absolutely was NOT random; it makes sense.

• Tommy says:

Yes and I could be looking for something that’s not there but I feel like if you watch Hannah closely throughout the season she had little ticks that foreshadowed the OCD storyline

6. Devyn says:

genuinely loved this episode until the turn for the adam. What I loved about it is it accentuated all of these horrible people’s flaws and highlighted how we’re all flawed and how relatable that is. Of course Adam wasn’t going to stay with a functioning woman, because he’s not a functioning man, he’s insane. I am so glad that Marnie got back together with Charlie, not because I think in anyway it’s going to work, but because I can’t wait to watch how they either A. crash and burn or B. flaunt their obviously flawed relationship. Also, I honestly wanted Adam to be hit by a bus running toward Hannah, at least that would have been a more Shondra finish to it all if she was going to go down the romantic soap opera route.
    Have to say though, despite the cheesy finish, this was probably my favorite episode of season 2 and there were a lot of gems.
    But also, where the eff is Jessa?!!

7. Gailer says:

Song at the end???

8. Evan says:

It may have been “rom com” but I think that was Lena’s message. Maybe it wasn’t realistic, I’m not sure how many ex-boyfriends would run shirtless through NY for their OCD-ridden girlfriends, but I think Lena was trying to show that this was an idea that we can believe in and we can still root for. It didn’t have to be what we thought should happen, but what could happen. It was Lena’s way of saying “Things get hard, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel,” perhaps a bit brighter than it would be in real life, but this is TV! I personally loved it and the majority of the reaction I have seen is positive.

9. Jenn says:

This season was terrible!!! First season was amazing…. then second season took a MEGA left turn.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I agree. It was odd. I miss the women together…. There is something missing.

• Faster says:

Agree, but isn’t that realistic to a degree? Women these age get caught up in their own lives and relationships and start to grow apart from one another. I though the scene where Marnie saw the line Hannah had typed out on the computer confirmed that the girls’ distance from one another was intentional and truthful.

10. fantod says:

Judging from the comments, art or at least this show mirrors life. It’s easier to slide back into a flawed relationship than it is to be alone for a while, try to do better next time or even go into therapy to deepen your self-knowledge and learn some new ways to cope. I agree with everything the recapper said, but maybe we can grant that Lena Dunham is trying to make a point about how much we stumble on the way to maturity — or maybe this is just another thing that actually happened to her (messed-up guy who can’t function with most people clings to woman who can’t function with most people). BTW, does anyone know what Adam does for a living? Do people pay him for those random wood constructions?

• Teeny Bikini says:

Stumbling to maturity.. I like that. That is what I really appreciate about the show. I does not make life pretty to make people feel good. The 20’s are super rough. And dating and re-dating an idiot or 2 or 10 is part of the growing-up process. So is re-dating one….

11. Mo says:

I understand why you’re bothered, Michael, but you’re looking at from the point of view of a well adjusted adult. Hannah (and Lena) are in their twenties and still trying to figure out what you know. To a screwed up early twenty something, a happy ending is the ending of a romcom. She said earlier that she wanted someone to care if she cut herself and him lifting her off the bed was exactly that. From what we know, she shouldn’t be with him and he shouldn’t be with her. But I think that’s the point. She doesn’t know that yet. Maybe even Lena doesn’t know that yet. She’s only 26. Just because she has a show on HBO doesn’t make her wise.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think Lena does a good job of reflecting how screwy one can be in their 20’s. She definitely doesn’t gloss over anything. It is hard to dissociate from the well-adjusted adult in me to not get ticked of though… That is a very valid point you have made. I really have to completely immerse myself into their world, just to get through it sometimes. I usually enjoy it or find some value so I love the show, but the Adam thing threw me last week.

12. mawhi says:

If only she knew better.

13. I’m a woman in my twenties and I can’t stand the message that this show sends. It romanticizes very unhealthy ideals for relationships.

• Summer says:

This show is literally Sex and the City for the Twilight generation.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I am so glad you said that… It’s nice to hear 20-something perspective.

• Frank Poor says:

I’d hardly say “the show romanticizes unhealthy ideals for relationships” when it hadn’t really done so up until this episode; if anything, it’s portrayed how cringe-worthy and gross and disturbing a lot of these unhealthy relationships are, but they are exactly what twentysomethings realistically put themselves through. Only in this episode did they seem to arrive at happiness, but even so, it’s being argued here and now in these comments and in recaps all over the internet, whether the rom-com ending was really happy resolution for the characters… or if it was just artifice and that Dunham is commenting on romcom tropes and on how twentysomethings prematurely feel happy when they are really continuing to make mistakes. I’m of the latter school of thought, and I’m happy to believe that Dunham trusts her viewers are intelligent enough to see this as intentional.

14. thespian says:

you lost me at calling Shoshana “the show’s best character “, and finished it by saying the bowl cut Laird gave her was ‘better.”

15. Liza180 says:

I have to agree with most everything about this review (except her haircut…it looks like a really bad, cheap wig).First, Marni and Charlie. Seriously? She dumped all over him and snaps her fingers and he comes back?? Even worse…he takes her back without even considering the timing and the reasons? I hope they explore that more in S3 and he dumps her because he realizes his idea of her and the real thing are completely different.

Hannah and Adam seem kind of right for each other. he is weird and pathetic and so is she. The scene with him running through the streets was so unusual for this show. The crescendoing music and the sweaty (and must I say very sexy chest and shoulders of his) rescuing someone as pathetic as Hannah was kinda sweet, sad and uncomfortable at the same time. It was so unexpected that we would see a romcom moment like that for hannah, so I’ll let it slide. It was almost like Lena Dunham wrote that in just to poke a little fun at that kind of scene.

Hopefully next season we will see Marni lose it again…she is much more interesting when her perfect life is falling apart.
    What does Shosh do for a living? I have to agree with her about negativity. I dated someone who was such a downer and never wanted to go out because “dining was a waste of time” I felt like I had to defend my choices all the time. But Ray had a lot of good qualities. I think Shosh might realize that being loved by someone like Ray is much better than dating a bunch of idiots who don’t care about her. So we’ll see.
    Overall, I liked the second season a lot. I miss Jessa…where DID she go? Wasn’t the actress pregnant in real life? Anyhow, I’ll be glad to see her back. Seeing Hannah spirial so downward was interesting because Lena Dunham did a great job with it and I could feel her anxiety as she tried to write her pages and get more stressed out. She is learning a huge lesson about something fun and hobbieish becoming a job. Its a whole different ballgame when people start paying you.
    One more thing…it would be nice to see the men swear a little less. I’m no prude, but when Adam was swearing during his first date with Natalia, I kept cringing. I would have not wanted to date him because of that. Actually, I stopped dating a guy because every other word seemed to be the F word. Jeesh, guys, have some respect for the ladies.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I laughed too about the decent haircut line. Romper = ugly. But haircut = decent. How is that possible in the same universe? :) I think Shosh is a college student and supported by family. I miss Jessa too. I didn’t realize how much she brought to the show until she was gone. Marnie, oh Marnie. I don’t know what to say about her complete self-absorption. Charlie deserves better. I don’t know about Lena Dunham’s character this season – the complete unraveling does not seem warranted. I feel like it came out of left field. I think her acting was great though… I am hoping for a little more cohesion in the story lines next season….

• Ruby says:

I actually have not missed Jessa at all. I like the show better without her.
      And I have the mouth of a truck driver, but I totally agree about Adam swearing on that date. I was like, “Dude, you just met her! Tone it down a bit!”

16. Mary says:

I’m done with Girls. Everyone knows Lena Dunham is a hack, but at first there were enough enjoyable elements to keep me watching. But this season had been awful and tonight was the final straw. There are far better things to do with 30 minutes than to watch this trash anymore.

17. Jessica says:

I actually really loved this episode!

18. cat says:

Jemima Kirke(Jessa) was pregnant during this season, hence, her not being around much.

19. rowan says:

Can’t stand Adam. Redeem him all you want, I’ll never warm up to him as a character.

• Teeny Bikini says:

He was okay but the added element of real danger last week makes him irredeemable to me. If they intended to make him some kind of romantic hero, he should have stopped when Shiri said “no” when he was towering over her. Denigrating women is not romantic. I won’t get past that…

• Ruby says:

I guess I missed the part where they were trying to pass off Adam’s behavior as “romantic”…

• theschu says:

She actually never said “no”.

• Teeny Bikini says:

She said no when he was going to jizz on her dress… I can’t believe I just typed or rememebered that…Sigh. My point is – any thinking person would have realized she was already humiliated.

• theschu says:

She actually said something like “don’t cum on my dress” which isn’t the same as saying “no”. She’s character who says exactly what she wants/likes and doesn’t want/like so the fact that people keep thinking she said “no” when she never did is telling.

“My point is – any thinking person would have realized she was already humiliated.”

But he clearly wasn’t thinking. He was caught up in his aggressive sexual horny mode (or whatever you want to call it) and he just wanted to dominate her and get off. Only after he finished did he realize she was upset.

20. Laura E. says:

Your review encapsulated all my issues with the season finale. The scene of Adam running through the streets was so over-the-top–as parody it would have brilliant, but I think Lena Dunham wanted us to take it seriously. I do think Adam Driver is the best actor on the show, but I don’t think anyone could give dignity to the finale.

21. Leta says:

I think this season, and this episode are indeed showing that sometimes people are f*cked up and pathetic, and I’m thankful that this show is portraying it accurately (particularly with Hannah and Adam). For me it’s relatable. For you, clearly it’s not (and I take that to mean you’ve never had to deal with addictions and depression, b/c when you’re spiraling down like that, as much as you’d like to stop acting like a pathetic child, sometimes you just can’t). I like that a tv show isn’t afraid to show it’s characters being pathetic; b/c it happens in life.

22. Kate says:

Agree with Slezak 1000%, and I’m dismayed how many people seemingly loved this episode. The argument Michael lays out is clear and hard to refute, IMO.

Setting a dramatic, 11th hour “running at night through the streets” scene to classic romcom music does NOT make it romantic, not when the runner is a violent pig. If that scene pulled at your heartstrings, consider whether you really felt something genuine or have just been trained through years of movie viewing to well up when the music cue kicks in. Shosh was the only character I rooted for this episode, other than Natalia. This season has had ups and downs, but this episode was abysmal to me.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Oh, I am definitely trained, Kate :) – but in the back of my mind all I could see was Shiri crawling on the floor just so he could feel like less of a loser. Not hot. Not romantic. Not.

• Ruby says:

Not. Supposed. To. Be. Romantic. or. Hot. They were not trying to portray it as such. This is a show about f-ed up people. How are you missing that?

• Teeny Bikini says:

Then what’s with the romcom season finale. That ending is out of twenty million movies. Really. Are we being ironic? Sarcastic? What? I am just trying to understand the ending. It just seems so incongruous to the entirety of the season.

• theschu says:

I would argue that while the action of running “is out of twenty million movies” the context is what matters and in the case of the show and Adam I thought it made perfect sense. Everything was going fine with Adam and Natalia until he saw Hannah outside the restaurant and he realized he really cared for her and longed for her. That’s when he tried to do the things to Natalia that he could do with Hannah. I think he started to break everything because he was so frustrated and when Hannah called, he knew that what he had to do was go take care of her. I saw the run as much more of a character thing than anything the writers were forcing on the story to give us some kind of uplifting ending.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Interesting read. I appreciate it. Never thought of that perspective. I thought the fracture was to his ego when Natalia criticized his apartment, bringing all of his insecurities to the surface, ultimately knowing that she was too good for him. Now, I am gonna have to watch this ep again. Cheers.

• Shucks says:

AMEN!!!!!

23. Mary says:

I don’t think the ending is a “happy” ending. I hope not, anyway. I think Adam is a scary character, who is just as likely to kill Hannah as comfort her — and when she recoups her strength, and doesn’t bat her eyelashes at him anymore, he’ll be angry and controlling. Marnie will be bored with Charlie, poor Charlie, a loser with money. Hannah’s parents know their daughter — drama every three hours — I’m glad they are letting her clean up her broken glass by herself. Hannah is such a spoiled whiny character. I like Ray, he can do way better than Shosh. I hope Jessa returns, and I hope her husband does, too, though I see that he has a real-life career that takes him away. I thought the finale was great because on the outside it was a romantic comedy and on the inside it was rotten, like Hannah’s mind. Laird called it!

• dlr929 says:

For me, this was the “band-aid” ending for Marnie and Hannah. In seeking comfort and stability, they both reached for the known to assuage their insecurities for the moment. It won’t last. Much like an addict, the effect is temporary and soon they’ll have to face themselves and won’t want the momentary fix. Although I’m much older, I clearly remember the moment when I called and my father wouldn’t come to my rescue. I had a panic attack. Marnie had to have Charlie both to make sure she could still get him to love her again and because his money now offered her a reason not to work. Hannah needed someone who would not care if he cut himself cleaning up the glass just to prove he was a man. Shosh making out at a bar was predictable though I thought it would be with the doorman. Jessa was missed.
      Lena and Judd are brilliant in touching every painful moment of growing, especially the most painful ones.

24. Russ says:

Jessa’s storyline isn’t unimportant, Jemima Kirke is pregnant and probably on maternity leave. You know this because I remember you bashing her for being obviously pregnant in the scene when she is talking to her dad on the swing set. Why are you just finding things to complain about?

25. Jess says:

I loved the first season. This season leading up to this truly awful finale was such a letdown. I appreciate you being honest about your opinion, Michael. I don’t know why people think you’re not allowed your own opinion as a critic.

26. Dana says:

Immature love has unrealistic ups and downs – I think season 2 showed how sometimes individuals make life more difficult than it has to be. I loved the finale. It was messy. Hannah and Adam fit. Maybe it’s dysfunctional, but I know more people with flaws than I do without them. It’s a part of growing up. And Natalia in bed was b-o-r-i-n-g and controlling. Give me a break. You’ve known him 2 weeks and you’re having sex – sorry prude, but you are a whore. Get over yourself.

27. Sarah says:

Totally agree with you and I was really hoping season finale wouldn’t be all about Hannah/Lena. Season 2 sounds has been meaningless to me since ep 5.

28. Jon says:

Brilliant season, poor finale.

29. Frank Poor says:

“a trifle strange that such a perpetual victim had never uttered a word about the condition in the show’s previous 18 episodes, no?”

Have you completely ignored all of the Girls-related internet for the past two weeks? This point has been shut down by commenters (and addressed by recappers) ad nauseam since “It’s Back.” There have been multiple signs and clues of her OCD over the last two seasons. I’d lay them all out here, but really, you can just read any other recap and you’ll see it covered. I’ll save my energy for discussion of the episode…

Which I loved. Not at first, for the reasons you cite, but I came around and now have to disagree with you.

I was thoroughly enjoying many moments–Laired calling Hannah out on her being self-involved, Shosh’s breakup monologue, Hannah’s voicemail to Jessa–but then like you, hated how neatly everything came together for everyone, how it seemed to say basically that these girls need men to be okay, and that terrible rom-com treatment of the final moments. But then I watched that scene a couple more times then the episode in full a second time. It’s hard to argue that Shosh defines herself by a man because it was her increasing self-awareness that she’s “growing into a full human” and doesn’t need negative energy that propels the developments for her in this episode. Rather than explicitly a result of her cheating on Ray, the breakup was rather a result of her own individual needs.

As for Marnie I think it’s too simplistic to view her reunion with Charlie as a happy ending and her finally getting it together (by getting back with a man). Rather, I appreciated it as a realistic representation of couples, especially young couples, getting together without a clear idea of whether or not it’s good for them (“maybe I’m an idiot”). It makes sense how she got to this point–she’s attracted to Charlie’s newfound strength and fullness as an individual, which were missing in season 1–but it could still go in any direction from here. It will be most interesting to see next season whether Marnie really loves Charlie the way he loves her or if he merely signifies stability for her. I doubt this, by any means, is their final resolution.

As for Hannah and Adam, it felt less about a male rescuing his female and more about two people, regardless of sex or gender roles, who understand each other more than anyone else (and in this case, more than they had realized up until now). It called back to Adam’s line about everyone being difficult and love being a matter of accepting each other’s brand of difficult. Hannah spent this season afraid of Adam, unsure of whether he’s the best or the worst person ever, but as her OCD relapsed, she got a real taste of what the rest of her support system is like: her parents’ resentment over her selfishness and manipulation is primary while their sympathy for her condition seems secondary (perhaps rightfully so but still), Jessa and Marnie are off focusing on their own difficulties rather than really caring for Hannah (their sympathy, when expressed, always seems cut with judgment–perhaps rightfully so but still), and even Laird, witnessing her breakdown, couldn’t forgive Hannah’s rotten insides (again, rightfully so but still). It’s only Adam, who recognizes just by looking at her that something’s wrong and understands her past with OCD well enough, who will run shirtless across town to her and who has “always been [t]here.” He accepts her brand of difficult. And Hannah reciprocates that for him, and this becomes especially clear to him in contrast to the tension and lack of compatibility he has with Natalia, as seen in their sexual encounters early in this episode and late in the last one. I suspect next season will be about whether they can finally try this relationship as equals.

So yes, while it appeared on the surface that the storylines were being wrapped up like a rom-com, the intelligent viewer must know that all these relationships still have major questions to explore before they reach their happy ends, and Lena was setting us up for that in the coming season.

30. Alice Blue says:

Michael – I agree w/you 100% but was relieved because I’ve been looking for a reason to stop watching this show. Frankly, it depresses me the extent to which women still – for all their self-empowerment talk – are programmed to romanticize the screwed up/abusive guy because ‘we get each other and his abuse is rooted in passion’. (Maybe in a bizarre crossover, Adam and Jimmy from Smash can get together and talk about how bitches are needy but also how it’s kinda hot.) The only good thing about this tendency is it helps me screen new friends – if they get dreamy over Wuthering Heights I know to start worrying.

31. lillykate says:

I actually liked this season (the realism of the mental illness issues so so much superior to the over rated silver linings movie) until this episode which made me relive the horror of the Sex and the City movie. Carrie/Hannah are better than waiting for ” Prince Charming” to save them. As I was watching all I could hope for was that it was all a joke and we will wake up tomorrow from a bad Pam Ewing dream. Must say from the beginning Shosh was my fave. She did not let me down like the rest. Love the bun.

32. Fang says:

That ending was gag-worthy. Adam running shirtless to Hannah with that god awful Katherine Heigle movie soundtrack? That was awful. I thought Girls was supposed to be fun and smart, but This episode was neither.

33. John says:

So done with this show….

34. catalinz says:

This ending was a slap in the face for every intellectual being. Michael, thank you for this review. Cherry on the top is that you uttered your opinion from a male perspective!

35. Remington says:

I’m not gonna read every comment so I’m sorry if this has been repeated but Hannah did in fact mention her OCD to an extent in season one. I believe it was Adam that she told about how when she was younger, she used to have to masturbate several times before she could go to bed. I don’t believe she explicitly said that she had OCD but her obsessive behaviors were brought up.

36. Sims says:

Great review/recap, I agree 100%. I enjoyed season 1, was looking forward to season 2, was greatly disappointed and then horrified. I haven’t watched the season finale but the fact that Hannah/Lena Dunham paints Adam as a romantic hero after what transpired at the end of last weeks episode horrifies me.

37. Kate'shomesick says:

Sorry but most of you just don’t seem to get it. The show is about growing up. These are not people that are completely self-assured and know where they stand in life. They have hardly any real relationship experience. When Lena Dunham shows Adam running to Hannahs rescue, it doesn’t mean that Adam’s a hero. It merely shows that Hannah sees him (wants to be seen)as that at that moment (Adam also wants to be seen as that) and believe it or not, while I’m 23 and would never let myself be treated like that by a man, most of my (girl)friends did let that happen multiple times and still let that happen. There is that romantic idea in most of their heads, that they’ll change the guy they’re with for the better and the on-off relationship-hopping is completely realistic. Also the show doesn’t judge its characters, it observes and lets you decide…
    So basically all of your reactions are right BUT that doesn’t mean that the show is bad or sexist, it’s just-as sad as it is- eerily realistic.
    Michael, you wrote something about the show being unapologetic and that that’s its greatest strength, well, it’s also being unapologetic about the naivety, the dispair (of wanting to be loved and needed, instead of being alone- without a “dad”)and the crudeness of most of this generations women and how many of “us” still need their self-worth pampered by the affection of a guy, no matter if that guy is (as) stupid or irreverant or most likely just as immature and insecure about himself and in conclusion simply not ready to have a healthy, steady relationship let alone an equal one.

• LaurenMC says:

I think everyone can appreciate that it’s a show about growing up and getting your life together in your 20’s – but aren’t these girls 24-25? They are super messed up, selfish, and pretty reliant on men – and age can’t be an excuse for that kind of behavior forever. Shoshanna is the youngest one and the most put together, arguably.

• Kate'shomesick says:

…yeah….well…in an ideal world…I can assure you though: This unfortunately is what the reality of some women in their 20s looks like…also while they certainly are neurotic and so forth they are not THAT messed up. Yes they would probably all be better of doing some therapy but frankly who wouldn’t (not suggesting that everyone needs to go see a psychologist but I know lots of people who’d be happier if they would).
        This society loves to put the “abnormal” stamp on everything. It’s just that there really is no “normal”…: almost everyone has issues, physical, psychological, sociological and so on. The society also becomes more selfish gradually…
        It just seems to be a trend that everything has to seem flawless, everyone has to be cool and collected and together all the time. I really like girls as an antipode to all the glossy unrealistic, brightly lighted shows that are on TV right now…

38. re says:

Thank you, Michael. I was so revolted by this episode. I can’t believe Lena Dunham calls herself a feminist.

39. Jane D says:

Your review is SPOT ON. To go from a really good episode last week that made us all think/talk about some very important topics to this is sad. A sappy romantic ending where all is well is ridiculous.

40. I really can not agree with this review. Everything that the writer is pointing out is “wrong” with these characters, is actually what makes them right. I think all of these characters are spot on in describing what girls if our generation are becoming. Stop over analyzing it and find the humor in it.

41. Ashley says:

These girls are not supposed to be well-rounded heroic characters that you look up to. They are total messes, and I see behaviors that I recognize in each and everyone of them. Hannah is doing exactly what someone in her position and in her mental state would do. She needed someone to care about her and rescue her in her own way, and she couldn’t handle anyone else and no one else wanted to handle her. These girls are all doing things that real life people do, and that’s what makes them flawed, and that’s what makes them beautiful, and that’s what makes them real. This is a show unlike any other show on television, so I can understand how someone who reviews TV for a living would find this completely disjointed and unwatchable. As a viewer though, I feel like I’m having an in-depth conversation about life and human nature with Lena Dunham, and it’s nothing short of transformative, tragically real, and fantastic.

• Gary says:

You seem to understand what this show is really about. I watch this show because it captures the existential pain of living in the modern world. I am a retired high school teacher who has been liberated from the daily indignities of making a living. Each week my heart breaks watching these young people trying desperately to make sense out of a senseless reality.

42. Which is a more likely scenario: That the show suddenly became the opposite of itself, or that the finely tuned comedy of the show — which has always managed to go sailing over the heads of its more lunk-headed detractors — finally slipped the reviewer as well?

It wasn’t a happy ending. It was, just like every other week (plus some extra because it’s a finale), a huge joke at Hannah’s expense. It’s really not that hard to understand, since the show trusts us enough every single week to do the same thing. Was the reviewer really THAT thrown off by the over-the-top schmaltzy music?

• Frank Poor says:

Apparently, he was.
      Whereas I agree with you. The show trusts that its viewers–or at least the ones who are actually watching (far too many negative comments start with “I don’t watch this show but…”) and are doing so intelligently–won’t simply buy this as a happy rom-com ending for all the characters.

43. Nicole says:

The finale was okay, but I was kind of distracted before the final scene by wondering if Adam rents because he is trashing that apartment!

44. Judy says:

Wow, you guys at TVLine really need to edit your stories.

45. Buddy321 says:

I feel like the final scene was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. Hannah, I think, turned used her camera on purpose. She was desperate for attention! She knew Adam could not resist. He comes and “rescues” her and the two exchange a “romantic” moment which is actually a rather sick demonstration of their mutually compatible character flaws. I did not take it to be true, or unreflective, romantic storytelling. Like the shots of Marnie and Shosh which immediately preceed it, it shows a “happy” romantic moment with just a hint of cynicism lurking beneath.

46. Erin says:

Overall this entire season was a let down for me. The first season was brilliant, I mean usually it takes at least 4 seasons for a show to become as desperate and see through as Girls has in it’s second. I think what was missing this season was the girls interactions with each other their friendships flawed as they are took a back seat to the relationships with the men. Adam is gross! He can never be redeemed in my eyes. I’ve always thought he must smell horrible. I’ve never liked him and last weeks episode didn’t shock me at all. That’s who Adam is that’s who he’s always been. I will watch next season in the hopes that Lena fixes this.

47. LaurenMC says:

I really enjoyed season 1 but this season was somewhat off… The “girls” barely had any scenes together and nothing was explored in their friendships. There was no comradery like last season. My favorite scene from last season was when Marnie and Hannah were dancing in her room together – there was nothing like that this season, unfortunately. On top of that, all the characters were going crazy (Hannah having sex with like 5 different guys over the course of a few weeks?! Marnie’s random singing…?). I understand that the show is supposed to spotlight how messy your 20’s can be, and I appreciate that, but honestly, it’s over the top now. Not everyone is this hot of a mess at this age. I don’t agree with Lena being “the voice of a generation.” A lot of people actually function quite well. My friends and I are approaching 30, having just gone through our 20’s in NYC – none of us ever lost our sh!t as hard as these ladies.

48. Mr. John says:

This episode, and season, was about people settling because they’re scared. What you saw in that episode was the pathetic “happy middle” when flooded with relief that you could at least get back to the horrible stuff you were enduring before. All 4 girls moved back towards where the series started. The rom com trappings were tools to make you buy into the moments that otherwise would make you feel sad… she wanted you to feel the characters relief that they managed to backslide 2 years. I imagine that next season will be about how their second times through their trials will not be the same after being changed by the first.

• Anon says:

Agreed. I don’t think the author of this article quite knows what they are watching. Dunham may be the voice of that generation but that voice doesn’t have to be revolutionary, it can simply be honest is voicing fears. Also, said generation has grown up with rom coms so of course an idea will be communicated in such a way.

49. Tania says:

Well, hearing so much about this series, I invested some time to watch the first as well as the second season. I can honestly say that this is one series where with the exception of Shoshana, I DO NOT LIKE ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. The majority of these characters are so negative that I will not be coming back for season 3.

50. Erin says:

Oh yeah and I miss Elijah! I want him back! Is it wrong to hope his new show The New Normal fails? I love his and Hannah’s interactions.

• LaurenMC says:

I really enjoyed Elijah and was pretty bummed when Hannah kicked him out and he didn’t return for the rest of the season. He was the funniest character and I loved his relationship with Hannah.