Pilot Scoop: Rainn Wilson Is CBS' Backstrom

Rainn Wilson Stars In Backstrom PilotSomeone might wanna start loading up on the deer jerky.

Rainn Wilson has landed the title role in Backstrom, CBS’ drama pilot about “an overweight, offensive and irascible” police detective who tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

The casting news comes not 24 hours after The Office, where for nine years Wilson has played Dwight Schrute, shot its very final scene.

RELATED | The Office Pits Dwight Against Sopranos Vet Michael Imperioli

Based on a Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson (who will be an EP on the project) and adapted for TV by Bones boss Hart Hanson, Backstrom‘s cast also includes Dennis Haysbert (24) as Detective John Almond, Kristoffer Polaha (Life Unexpected) as forensics unit boss Sgt. Peter Niedermayer and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts) as Nadia, a foreign-born civilian who supports the detectives in the Special Crimes Group.

1. Catherine says:

hahahaha, well, Hart Hanson said he would never do another romance show, he is so right. smh

2. Bass Drum says:

Seriously ? What a bad casting.

3. Teag says:

Congrats Dwight. Hope it’s successful.

4. slizabeth says:

So is the Dwight spin-off MIA? Not that I would have watched it, but I haven’t heard about it in a while.

5. kate says:

this is going to be a drama? it really sounds like a comedy.

6. Katie says:

I am in total shock, that is all I can say……and not in a good way.

7. kavyn says:

I’m glad they decided to scrap Dwight’s spin off show. Last Thursday’s The Office episode basically felt like the pilot episode for the spin off show, and those scenes were just so boring.

• Alan says:

thats because it was the pilot for a spin off show, its just a spin off thats now not going to happen. dont mean to offend but thats a bit of an odd comment.

• kavyn says:

I’m confused. Are you telling me last week’s episode of The Office was actually the pilot for Dwight’s spin off show? With the regular cast of the Office having their own plot line?

You didn’t offend me with your comment but you did confuse me.

• Name says:

back-door pilot: an episode of the mother series that introduces a possible spin-off, alternating scenes of both shows. Examples: the Grey’s anatomy episodes introducing Private Practice, all the CSIes, NCISes, Criminal Mindses spin off pilots. These episodes airs even if the new show doesn’t get picked up, like in this case or the Gossip Girl spin off.

• Martoukian says:

They also re-edited it AFTER deciding not to pick it up as a spinoff, so if it had actually been leading to a spinoff, it wouldn’t have been exactly the same.

• Alan says:

yep it was the pilot. most of the time when a show is spinning off another the introduction of any new characters needed for that show is handled in an episode of the parent show, the characters who normally appear in the parent show will have a role but it will be a reduced one while the newbies get the spotlight. for an example the two csi spin offs started out as episodes of their parent shows where the new cast did the heavy lifting while the existing cast stood around and picked up a paycheck for a cursory appearance in the episode.

8. Alan says:

that description makes him sound like the main character of a terrible comedy, not a serious drama. seems like an odd choice of genre for the story.

9. Andy says:

How about we take Stephen Fry away from Super Clyde, and replace Rainn Wilson with him for Backstrom. It isn’t that I don’t want to see Stephen Fry and Rupert Grint together in Super Clyde, because I do, but I just am not seeing Wilson as the right actor for this drama, and I could definitely see Fry doing great with the part.

10. Rainn Wilson is a fantastic dramatic actor, I’m impressed. Self destructive and irascible (FYI, easy to anger) definitely doesn’t sound like comedy to me. Looking forward to this one.

11. CBS is bad for you! says:

An overweight, unattractive detective named Backstrom? CBS has officially lost it.

12. David4 says:

We need more CBS cop shows!!!

13. dude says:

i like no love this casting. Hope it gets picked up and I think Rainn can do a great job

14. Eric says:

I don’t understand all of the hate. I know Rainn is well-known for his comedic talents, but he is a great dramatic actor as well. I think that this is a very inspired piece of casting that could turn out to be great, if done correctly.

15. Kristin says:

I am very excited, I have loved The Office for nine years and Rainn Wilson has been one of the main reasons the show has been great!

16. Bob says:

Wow. Some of you people are really cruel. It’s Rainn Wilson acting in the pilot, not a fictional character named Dwight Schrute. Give the guy a break. If you never watched him in Six Feet Under, go get the DVDs and watch.

• Bridget says:

Exactly!! Rainn Wilson was wonderful in Six Feet Under. I look forward to watching him back in a dramatic role again.

• tara17 says:

I agree: Rainn Wilson is a talented actor. His range isn’t limited to Dwight. I’ll check out the new show.

17. Dizzle says:

Wilson was brilliant on Six Feet Under, will be really interesting to see him back in a drama (if it gets past the pilot stage). It makes sense he’d also do something totally different to his Office character!

18. Ok, I can see him playing offensive and irascible but since when is this guy considered overweight? Seems more average/slim to me. Aren’t there any actual overweight actors able to pull off irascible out there?

• tara17 says:

My first thought as well, but I guess he could be considered a little chubby for a police detective. I just hope he won’t have to put on weight for the role.

19. Quincy meets Law and Order: SUV, this I might like!

20. walking9 says:

I think Rainn is cute! he is playing some times nasty people to make it obvious how sick what they do or say are like in Juno. He is a big Internet personality, has got 2 webbies this year and I enjoyed so much his Google authors appearance a few years ago, look more carefully into ‘nerdy’ guys :)