Pilot Scoop: Rainn Wilson Is CBS' Backstrom

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Rainn Wilson Stars In Backstrom PilotSomeone might wanna start loading up on the deer jerky.

Rainn Wilson has landed the title role in Backstrom, CBS’ drama pilot about “an overweight, offensive and irascible” police detective who tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

The casting news comes not 24 hours after The Office, where for nine years Wilson has played Dwight Schrute, shot its very final scene.

RELATED | The Office Pits Dwight Against Sopranos Vet Michael Imperioli

Based on a Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson (who will be an EP on the project) and adapted for TV by Bones boss Hart Hanson, Backstrom‘s cast also includes Dennis Haysbert (24) as Detective John Almond, Kristoffer Polaha (Life Unexpected) as forensics unit boss Sgt. Peter Niedermayer and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts) as Nadia, a foreign-born civilian who supports the detectives in the Special Crimes Group.

Comments (36)

• hahahaha, well, Hart Hanson said he would never do another romance show, he is so right. smh

Comment by Catherine – March 17, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously ? What a bad casting.

Comment by Bass Drum – March 17, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rainn Wilson hasn’t always been in comedy he was on HBO’s Six Feet Under.. idiots!

Comment by Brandon Lillis – March 17, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So what ? He’s a bad actor , and i can’t take him seriously. Just look at his nerd face.
        Hope they don’t take this pilot.

Comment by Bass Drum – March 18, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Am i the only one in thinking Rainn Wilson is kinda hot?

Comment by Emily – March 18, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ummm….yes!

Comment by Mel – March 18, 2013 03:11 PM PDT
          • No you aren’t, he’s gorgeous!

Comment by likesrainn – March 19, 2013 11:33 AM PDT
        • his nerd face? seriously? you must be one of those people who in real life people say things like, “oh, ignore him/her, (s)he’s an asshole.”

Comment by kate – March 18, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re joking

Comment by no – June 13, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats Dwight. Hope it’s successful.

Comment by Teag – March 17, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is the Dwight spin-off MIA? Not that I would have watched it, but I haven’t heard about it in a while.

Comment by slizabeth – March 17, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is going to be a drama? it really sounds like a comedy.

Comment by kate – March 17, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am in total shock, that is all I can say……and not in a good way.

Comment by Katie – March 17, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they decided to scrap Dwight’s spin off show. Last Thursday’s The Office episode basically felt like the pilot episode for the spin off show, and those scenes were just so boring.

Comment by kavyn – March 17, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thats because it was the pilot for a spin off show, its just a spin off thats now not going to happen. dont mean to offend but thats a bit of an odd comment.

Comment by Alan – March 17, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m confused. Are you telling me last week’s episode of The Office was actually the pilot for Dwight’s spin off show? With the regular cast of the Office having their own plot line?

You didn’t offend me with your comment but you did confuse me.

Comment by kavyn – March 17, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • back-door pilot: an episode of the mother series that introduces a possible spin-off, alternating scenes of both shows. Examples: the Grey’s anatomy episodes introducing Private Practice, all the CSIes, NCISes, Criminal Mindses spin off pilots. These episodes airs even if the new show doesn’t get picked up, like in this case or the Gossip Girl spin off.

Comment by Name – March 17, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They also re-edited it AFTER deciding not to pick it up as a spinoff, so if it had actually been leading to a spinoff, it wouldn’t have been exactly the same.

Comment by Martoukian – March 18, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yep it was the pilot. most of the time when a show is spinning off another the introduction of any new characters needed for that show is handled in an episode of the parent show, the characters who normally appear in the parent show will have a role but it will be a reduced one while the newbies get the spotlight. for an example the two csi spin offs started out as episodes of their parent shows where the new cast did the heavy lifting while the existing cast stood around and picked up a paycheck for a cursory appearance in the episode.

Comment by Alan – March 18, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that description makes him sound like the main character of a terrible comedy, not a serious drama. seems like an odd choice of genre for the story.

Comment by Alan – March 17, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about we take Stephen Fry away from Super Clyde, and replace Rainn Wilson with him for Backstrom. It isn’t that I don’t want to see Stephen Fry and Rupert Grint together in Super Clyde, because I do, but I just am not seeing Wilson as the right actor for this drama, and I could definitely see Fry doing great with the part.

Comment by Andy – March 17, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rainn Wilson is a fantastic dramatic actor, I’m impressed. Self destructive and irascible (FYI, easy to anger) definitely doesn’t sound like comedy to me. Looking forward to this one.

Comment by Jen ® (@NatesMama1128) – March 17, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An overweight, unattractive detective named Backstrom? CBS has officially lost it.

Comment by CBS is bad for you! – March 17, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need more CBS cop shows!!!

Comment by David4 – March 17, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like no love this casting. Hope it gets picked up and I think Rainn can do a great job

Comment by dude – March 17, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand all of the hate. I know Rainn is well-known for his comedic talents, but he is a great dramatic actor as well. I think that this is a very inspired piece of casting that could turn out to be great, if done correctly.

Comment by Eric – March 17, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very excited, I have loved The Office for nine years and Rainn Wilson has been one of the main reasons the show has been great!

Comment by Kristin – March 18, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Some of you people are really cruel. It’s Rainn Wilson acting in the pilot, not a fictional character named Dwight Schrute. Give the guy a break. If you never watched him in Six Feet Under, go get the DVDs and watch.

Comment by Bob – March 18, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!! Rainn Wilson was wonderful in Six Feet Under. I look forward to watching him back in a dramatic role again.

Comment by Bridget – March 18, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree: Rainn Wilson is a talented actor. His range isn’t limited to Dwight. I’ll check out the new show.

Comment by tara17 – March 19, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson was brilliant on Six Feet Under, will be really interesting to see him back in a drama (if it gets past the pilot stage). It makes sense he’d also do something totally different to his Office character!

Comment by Dizzle – March 18, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I can see him playing offensive and irascible but since when is this guy considered overweight? Seems more average/slim to me. Aren’t there any actual overweight actors able to pull off irascible out there?

Comment by amerryrecluse – March 19, 2013 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My first thought as well, but I guess he could be considered a little chubby for a police detective. I just hope he won’t have to put on weight for the role.

Comment by tara17 – March 19, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quincy meets Law and Order: SUV, this I might like!

Comment by Tracy Murray (@TracyLynnMurray) – March 21, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Rainn is cute! he is playing some times nasty people to make it obvious how sick what they do or say are like in Juno. He is a big Internet personality, has got 2 webbies this year and I enjoyed so much his Google authors appearance a few years ago, look more carefully into ‘nerdy’ guys :)

Comment by walking9 – June 16, 2013 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post