American Idol: What Should the Season 12 Top 9 Sing for Lennon-McCartney Week?

american-idol-season-12-top-9-singersAmerican Idol is getting a major theme upgrade for next Wednesday’s Top 9 performance show (8/7c on Fox), going from what was essentially Mawkish Idol Victory Anthems to the Lennon-McCartney Songbook. Now if we can avoid the seventh rendition of “Imagine” in Idol history and/or the heinous countrification of “Eight Days a Week,” we should be in for a kick-awesome time, yes?

PHOTOS | American Idol: Advice and Dream Set Lists for the Season 12 Top 10

With that in mind, here are my picks for what the Top 9 should tackle on Wednesday. Peruse the list, then hit the comments with your own suggestions!

Candice Glover: The Beatles’ “Got to Get You Into My Life” (could be kind of Winehouse-ian for her, no?) or The Beatles’ “Revolution” (yeah, it’s a rock track, but there’s a ton of soul bubbling underneath it and it’s time for Candice to take a risk)

Janelle Arthur: The Beatles’ “All My Loving” (not hard to envision with a tiny bit of twang)

RELATED | American Idol Top 10 Results Recap: Dude, Where’s My Star?

Kree Harrison: John Lennon’s “Just Like Starting Over” or The Beatles’ “I Am the Walrus” (c’mon, it’s no less wacky lyrically than “Come Together,” which was great for Carly Smithson, Kris Allen and Crystal Bowersox)

Amber Holcomb: The Beatles’ “Lady Madonna” (sounds odd on paper, but if Amber let loose and riffed on this, it could be amazing)

Angie Miller: The Beatles’ “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” (take it to the piano, girl!)

Lazaro Arbos: Paul McCartney’s “My Love” (but you know he’ll do “Imagine”)

Burnell Taylor: John Lennon’s “Instant Karma (We All Shine On)

Paul Jolley: The Beatles’ “Nowhere Man

Devin Velez: Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson’s “Say Say Say

Any of my picks sound good to you? Any of ‘em miss the mark? Let me know down in the comments, and do share the results of your own brainstorms, too!

Comments (208)

• I think this Beatles week ends up killing a lot of good contestants and I don’t think it helps ratings

Comment by James – March 15, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s my picks…..

Candice – Something (Candice could make this a modern R&R hit)
      Angie – Yesterday (of course, at the piano)
      Kree – Here, There, and Everywhere (one of my fave Beatles songs, Kree would infuse this with the longing it deserves)
      Janelle – Here Comes the Sun (speed it up and countrify it, and it would sound great)
      Amber – Let it Be (here’s Amber’s chance to give a classic hymn song and make it hers)
      Devon – In My Life (I see him with a single guitar in a spot light for this)
      Lazaro – Nowhere Man (Lazaro’s works best with strong melodies that don’t’ stretch him vocally)
      Burnell – Hey Jude (great song for Burnell to add his distinct phrasing to)
      Paul – Eleanor Rigby (He’s got the range to pull this off)

I purposely didn’t suggest “Imagine” because it’s been done too often on the song.

Comment by ado4586 – March 15, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Excuse the typos on my previous post.

Comment by ado4586 – March 15, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • These are good suggestions.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Something and Here Comes The Sun are by George Harrison (There is that famous story of Frank Sinatra giving credits to Lennon-McCartney in a speech for writing a wonderful song like “Something”)

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – March 15, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ohhhh, you’re right about those two songs. Oooops!

Comment by ado4586 – March 16, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • These are very good suggestions!

Comment by lemon – March 15, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d switch up Kree and Devin’s songs. Janelle should do “Act Naturally”. Candice could SLAY “Lady Madonna”. Perfect choice for Angie. In deference to the genius of Lennon and McCartney, I don’t think Lazaro should be allowed to do any of them. I don’t think anyone should do “Hey Jude”. It’s too repetitive and meaningless. And Cook’s rendition of “Eleanor Rigby” seems to have made the song untouchable, even though he took a sensitive song filled with pathos and tried to make it a rock anthem. Maybe Paul could do “Here Comes the Sun” instead. I agree with you on “Let It Be” for Amber. I think Burnell’s voice would do best with one of John Lennon’s later solo songs.

Comment by JoniC – March 15, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oops! Just got reminded that “Here Comes the Sun” is George Harrison’s song.

Comment by JoniC – March 15, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Dang! I shouldn’t be doing this so late at night when I’m tired. I forgot, too, that “Act Naturally” isn’t a Lennon/McCartney song. I guess we’ll have to stick Janelle with “Blackbird”. She stepped it up last week, she can afford to go softer and slower this week. And, by the way, NO ONE should do “Imagine”. It’s one of those other untouchables.

Comment by JoniC – March 15, 2013 08:14 PM PDT
        • “Act Naturally” is a Buck Owens song. Not Lennon/McCartney.

Comment by Joe Strummer – March 16, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • D. Cook’s version of Rigby was indeed incredible and it should be retired. Somebody should do A Day in the Life, widely regarded as the Beatles premier song. Difficult challenge though and needs to be done with a piano, although the extended dramatic closing note might be hard to incorporate.

Comment by gregk – March 17, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Imo NO ONE ever needs to sing Hey Jude again in my lifetime.

Comment by Claudia – March 16, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • These are really excellent suggestions. Slezak, take note.

Comment by big fan – March 16, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My problem with this list is that they are still mostly slow-paced songs. After multiple weeks of boring ballads they finally have the glory of Lennon-McCartney which contains a number of up-tempo songs…please use them.

Comment by The Beach – March 16, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • GREAT choices, @ado4586! I love your suggestion for Kree — that song never gets the affirmation it deserves. Slezak, we love you, but your song choices are bonkers this week!

Comment by Cat – March 16, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! Much appreciated :)

Comment by ado4586 – March 16, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really good song choices. I relate more to yours than Michael’s.

Comment by 5talentgirl – March 17, 2013 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We Can Work It Out is a very underrated song with a lot of tempo and vocalization changes that perhaps Kree would do well with it.

Comment by gregk – March 17, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right. I was like..Oh…it’s L/M week againnnnnn?! I’m “from the generation”, I “get it”–some of the greatest songs written of all time yada-yada AND I agree with a poster here recently who said maybe they “reach back” because today’s music doesn’t lend itself to “real singers” as much…that said…12 Seasons into Idol and there’s almost no fresh spin these kids can put on L/M week…it’s gotten stale to me.

Comment by Amy – March 15, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I can’t see any of them pulling this off. Maybe Candice and Kree…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – March 15, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, James, you know what? My daughter and I officially stopped watching Idol this season after they cut the most interesting and unique singers they had. BUT we’re going to make an exception for Beatles/Lennon/McCartney night, since we’re huge fans. I’ll bet a lot of other people are going to be doing the same thing. The ratings should be much higher.

Comment by Shawna – March 15, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I quit watching for the same reason, Shawna. I may also make an exception for L/M week – thanks for the idea.

Comment by Jay – March 16, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You’re very welcome, Jay. Hope we both enjoy it. ;-)

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good choices, especially for Devin. He needs something uptempo. And please, only one week of Lennon/McCartney. They beat it to death the last time they did it.

Comment by duranmom – March 15, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but neither pick for Candice has enough melody, and that woman can SING a MELODY! If I had to pick one of the two, though, “Got to Get You Into My Life” has a ton more soul than “Revolution.”
    “Instant Karma” for Burnell: Brilliant!

I admit I wanted to finally be among the first commenters, LOL. Now I’m going to think about some alternative choices.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Slezak. You KNOW Angie’s probably going to end up singing “Let It Be,” and Devin will sing part of “Imagine” in Spanish. Candice will probably sing “Come Together” and Janelle will sing “Blackbird” if she knows what’s good for her.

Comment by Sam – March 15, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blackbird is a good choice for Kree, although it will bring on even more Carly Smithson comparisons.

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When I think of Blackbird and AI, I first remember Paul McDonald’s and Kendra Chantelle’s performance.

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – March 16, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s been done a lot since the movie Across the Universe– but I do love a good slowed down, haunting, pleading version of I Wanna Hold Your Hand. One of the girls maybe?

Love your obscure song suggestions as always, Slezak. But there is no way in heck Angie and her good Christian image would sing a song about LSD. Or would she?

Comment by Willow – March 15, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s young enough not to know it’s about LSD. Don’t tell her, and I won’t either. (The little devil on my shoulder wants to hear her sing Imagine – with ALL the lyrics, even those customarily cut for Idol, i.e., “Imagine there’s no heaven” and “And no religion too.” Not a chance in hell.)

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angie should do “Hey Jude” with the piano. Has that been covered yet on Idol?

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How can you forget Lee and the BAGPIPES?

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – March 15, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t forget Lee and the bagpipes because I barely watched season 9 … and whatever episodes I did catch, I’ve blocked out. But thanks for the info. I guess it’s time for Hey Jude to be redeemed, then!

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • – “and whatever episodes I did catch, I’ve blocked out.”

Deedee, my dear, that is completely understandable!

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 16, 2013 07:49 AM PDT
          • LOL

Comment by Tom54 – March 17, 2013 01:25 PM PDT
      • Hm… this might work. It will require her to foster some intimacy instead of just going for high notes. It could stretch her in the right direction…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – March 15, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then again, you know, she could always actually believe the Beatles when they consistently say that the song has nothing to do with LSD, rather than shooting down a song choice on the basis of an urban myth…

Comment by ben – March 15, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU, Ben! Lennon was always brutally honest — if he said it was from a drawing his son Julian made, then it was.

Comment by Shawna – March 15, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, and Puff the Magic Dragon was actually about a dragon:)

Comment by The Beach – March 16, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Believe what you want, Beach… there’s actually a photograph of Julian’s “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” drawing on the web, if that tells you anything. It also made the news when Julian’s childhood friend Lucy died a few months ago. But hey, if you want to be a cynic, be my guest.

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice Glover- We Can Work It Out (funky R&B Stevie Wonder style). Hahahahaha- I just recalled when they strapped Archuleta with that. Worth a funny Youtube revisit for sure.

Comment by Willow – March 15, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would be a great pick I reckon, for Candice or Amber.

Comment by ben – March 15, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Archie’s version showed the true power of producer manipulation and the tween vote – a performance like that should have been an instant Bottom 3 visit!

Comment by Joanna – March 15, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice should sing Yesterday, as done by En Vogue. She would KILL it!

Comment by Tracy – March 15, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by tesh – March 15, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one should perform “Yesterday” unless they’re going to sing the melody the way it was originally sang. I just listened to En Vogue’s version after reading your comment, and while they obviously have beautiful voices, I really can’t see the point in covering a classic song if you’re going to change the best part about it – the melody. It wasn’t an improvement, in my opinion. En Vogue is a terrific group, but it bothers me when people mess around with the classics that way. It will offend too many Beatles fans to hear it performed that way. I’d love to hear Candice sing it the original way though.

Comment by Starwitch Stone – March 15, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bollocks. I’m a huge Beatles fan and if someone can do it well it’s a treat when they take a Beatles song and flip it round. It’s a testament to the versatility and sustainability of The Beatles’ songbook; their songs are well-written enough to be excellent even when performed in a different style.
        I’d never heard En Vogue’s version before, and I agree that it’s pretty great. Another cool choice would be Tina Turner’s slowed-down version of Help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS0b7EfMV4
        Although my biggest fear about this night is that we’re going to get way too many ballads, so I hope they don’t slow things down too much. I think they’re probably best off staying away from ‘Yesterday’, ‘Let It Be’, and ‘Blackbird’ altogether.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 16, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These will clearly just be the same Beatles songs we’ve heard done over and over on the show. And yes, Lazaro will most likely do “Imagine”.

Comment by Brandon – March 15, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sigh, you’re probably right; they’re not going to pay for clearance for more songs than they absolutely have to. Which probably does mean the umpteenth rendition of “Imagine.” Yawn.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the Beatles to death, but you’re almost undoubtedly right. There are a TON of cool Lennon/McCartney songs that haven’t been done on Idol, but we’re definitely in for a night of Imagine, Blackbird, Come Together, and the rest of the old gang.
      Of Slezak’s picks, I like ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ for Angie the most, and yes, definitely take it to the piano. I can picture that being great.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 15, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this theme, but can we please get another michael jackson week its been quite a few seasons since the last one!!!

Comment by Kenny – March 15, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GOD NO!!! Ban the crotch grabber’s song list forever.

Comment by Alienate – March 15, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If we banned crotch-grabbers, we’d never hear another rap song – ever.

Comment by Temperence – March 16, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And this is bad…. WHY???? ;-)

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think there was only one and it really is about time for another one! but i’m worried this years contestants will ruin it. except for Candice. maybe Amber.

Comment by noa – March 15, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. MJ should be featured again, but this crew is not up to the task – especially the guys.

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh good lord, not another Lennon/McCartney/Beatles week! If they absolutely HAVE to do artist specific theme weeks (which they shouldn’t) couldn’t they at least get some that haven’t been done to death already? Prince, Tina Turner, & Madonna are three that immediately come to mind. Heck, I wouldn’t mind if they even went with a little more modern/current artist that already has a big music collection (Beyonce immediately comes to mind but there are better choices, not that I don’t like her.)
    Thinking outside the box is this shows strong suit.

Comment by bigby_wolf – March 15, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant to say “Thinking outside the box IS NOT….” lol

Comment by bigby_wolf – March 15, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m glad you clarified that, I thought you’d gone bonkers!

Comment by Jay – March 16, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I figure they’ve tried to get those themes and can’t clear the songs. There’s no other explanation for why this theme is done so frequently and themes like the ones you’ve mentioned have never been touched.
      Either that or Englishman Nigel Lythgoe insists on reliving the nation’s greatest hits.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 15, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like “Katy Perry Week” ? :)

Comment by April – March 15, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone remember when they did Gwen Stefani week and there wasn’t enough music to go around? They had to make it “Songs Gwen Stefani sings or likes.”

They have to pick an artist or a group with a large enough selection of hits to make it even somewhat fair. The Beatles get done so much because they wrote (or covered) a lot of songs and they incorporated a lot of different musical styles.

It’s hard to think of another group with so diverse a catalog — or one that is so familiar to the audience.

Comment by Montavilla – March 15, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That week made absolutely no sense. No Doubt’s 5 albums + Gwen Stefani’s two solo albums was more than enough to choose from.

Comment by bigby_wolf – March 15, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There were almost enought Hits on Tragic Kingdom alone to supply the top 10.

Just A girl
          Spiderwebs
          Don’t Speak
          Excuse Me Mr.
          Sunday Morning

hits off of the Return To Saturn

Bathwather
          Ex Girlfriend
          Simple Kind Of life

No Doubt covers nearly every genre Ska, punk, Rock, Disco, Reggae, New Wave, Pop,

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Word.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – March 15, 2013 03:43 PM PDT
    • They probably haven’t done “Madonna Night” because her music SUCKS. I can think of maybe two good songs she ever sang in the 30 years since she was foisted upon us.

Comment by Shawna – March 15, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And yet somehow pretty much only M.J. managed to dominate pop music more. Pretty surprising if you only have two songs that don’t suck, no?

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – March 15, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hmmm…. I’m not too sure that Michael DOMINATED the pop scene more. That’s debatable. And I’m confused by your second sentence — I didn’t say Michael had only two good songs, but Madonna. Michael had a lot of good stuff.

Comment by Shawna – March 15, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Shawna, he/she means that if only one person dominated more than Madonna, that it’s unlikely that Madonna had only two non suckish songs.

Comment by Undone – March 16, 2013 03:40 AM PDT
          • Ahhh, thank you Undone! Guess I had a “blonde moment,” LOL. I think the major reason why Madonna was so dominant in the ’80s and ’90s is because she’s a self-marketing/PR genius. Not so much her songs, although, like I said, there are 2-3 that are pretty decent.

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 03:32 PM PDT
          • They were catchy. It’s not actually that easy to make that many songs with enough catch to stay on top that long, especially in that era when you had top 40 filled with a lot of one or two hit wonders. Sure she was a marketing genius too but part of it was knowing how to change her songs and to produce lots of catchy stuff.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – March 16, 2013 05:17 PM PDT
          • Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I think young people (especially teenage girls) bought her songs because she was an “idol” to them, and they would have bought ANYTHING she put out because they wanted to be like her. I think a MONKEY could have written most of her songs and it wouldn’t have made much difference.

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 05:39 PM PDT
          • but then again lots of guys listened to her back then too though. (The whole thing about only girls or gay guys have ever listened to Madonna is a major modern day revision of the truth. It wasn’t that way at all back in the 80s and very early 90s).

Comment by Maybe – March 16, 2013 07:53 PM PDT
          • I don’t know about where YOU live, Maybe, but when I was in high school in the mid-’80s here in Colorado I knew VERY few guys that listened to or liked Madonna. It was almost exclusively girls who were into her. Most of the guys at my school were into New Wave or Heavy Metal stuff.

Comment by Shawna – March 17, 2013 01:26 AM PDT
          • Well it wasn’t that way on the coasts where I lived (CA/NJ/MA). Tons of guys listened to typical top 40 mixes of rock, pop, new wave pop and it absolutely was not almost exclusively girls who liked Madonna, not remotely. Sure the metal head and burnout crowd were not into her but that went for male or female and there were less of them than the pop/rock crowd leaving a definite majority of guys who listed to typical top 40 mixes. And if you looked at top colleges back then the metal crowd tended to really fall away and a huge majority of guys listened to top 40 mixes (and yes those mixes had a LOT of Madonna back then). It wasn’t until late mid-90s that is started changing a bit and the very end of the 90s where it suddenly got turned into this thing where you were not supposed to listen to her unless you were female or gay. (Speaking of this has anyone noticed that while on the one hand homosexuality has a lot more mainstream acceptance these days and certain terms used in passing slang aren’t used nearly so much than back then, that these days, for straights, there is actually a lot less acceptance of anything not bad-ass/pure macho, it all seems sort of ironic; way more mainstream acceptance of people who are gay and changes in the way slang is tossed around (compare a modern teen movie to sixteen candles) and yet these days things are much more likely to be deemed as too girlish to be ‘suitable’ for straights).

Comment by Maybe – March 17, 2013 11:42 AM PDT
          • Maybe: It’s really odd how different regions of the USA had very different listening habits back in the ’80s. I wonder what the explanation for that is.

You’re right about our culture becoming more “gay-friendly” in the last 10-15 years, yet there is a lot more “Mucho Macho” stuff around. I’ve been to England a few times since 1991 and it never ceases to amaze me how much more tolerant they are about things that are obviously aimed towards the gay community. It’s really amazing. Bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd who have that extremely bad-ass sound seem VERY out of place there.

Comment by Shawna – March 17, 2013 12:58 PM PDT
    • I seem to recall reading that Prince has refused AI’s attempt to do his music.(and Glee also)

Comment by The Beach – March 16, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think AI did have a while before he would clear any of his music but I do recall hearing his song “Kiss” being performed in the top 10 one year. Also I think glee has done it on there as well. As far as other songs I’m not sure off top of my head tho.

Comment by Johnny – March 17, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I was Paul McCartney, or whoever has control over the Lennon/McCartney songbook, I would have revoked Idol’s privileges after the Eight Days a Week debacle. But that’s just me.

Comment by RLH – March 15, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, Michael Jackson’s estate owns the Lennon/McCartney songbook. They’re whores.

Comment by TV Gord – March 15, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not completely true. The publishing rights to most of the Beatles’ catalog is owned by an entity called Sony/ATV, which is a joint venture between Sony and the late MJ. So one could say his estate owns PART of the publishing rights to most of the songs.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHat Eight Days A Week debacle? Kristy Lee’s version was the best performance ever on American Idol!!!

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I so totally agree. C’mon Michael, have you no heart? Kristy Lee sold her horse so that she may audition for Idol and one day make a mark in history by performing the best ever Idol performance with Eight Days a Week.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 15, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please reprogram the Rybot. I can already here his intro dialogue in my head. Its utterly cut and paste from previous episodes. Cut out X artist, insert Y artist.

Comment by qj201 – March 15, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about this:
    Janelle: Oh Darling (easy and natural conversion to country)
    Angie: Let it Be (yes, done to death, but I think it would really suit her)
    Kree: Don’t Let Me Down
    Candice: I was going to propose Fool on the Hill for its gorgeous melody, but Candice has said how she really likes to connect to the lyrics, and I don’t think there’s much there for her. So Blackbird, then, although it too has been done, but she’d absolutely slay it.
    Lazaro: I Will (simple, pretty melody; he should be able to handle that)
    Devin: It’s Only Love (or Something, although it’s overdone)
    Burnell: Can’t improve on Michael’s suggestion of Instant Karma
    Paul: I don’t care, just go home.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice suggestions

Comment by karen – March 15, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You left out Amber! Actually, “Fool On The Hill” would be gorgeous for Amber, and unexpected.

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG, I didn’t mean to leave out Amber, never! Fool on the Hill – yes, that could work.
        What I’d scribbled down was

Amber: For No One

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, good calls there!

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – March 15, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would like someone to do “Jealous Guy” but I don’t think any of the boys are good enough.

Comment by The Beach – March 16, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angie: I don’t care, just go home.

Comment by Davey – March 17, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add “Let It Be” to the short (thankfully) list of what not to do a long with “Imagine”. I would also appreciate NOT hearing someone treacle “The Long And Winding Road”.

Comment by Marianne – March 15, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we are talking Lennon/McCartney DURING Beatles years…

I wish Devon would sing “Girl”, even though it is a balad.
    I wouldn’t be surpirised if the countriers fought over “I’ve Just seen a Face”, had they known about it.
    Candice could do “Across the Universe”
    Paul could go with “This Boy”
    Kree should sing “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away”
    If you want Angie on the piano, you can also consider “Dear Prudence”
    If Charlie was on the show I’d say “The Fool on the Hill”.

Please let nobody get near “Oh Darling!” (again)

And if I was me on the show I’d go with the Abbey Road Medley Steven Tyler so wonderfully tackled (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0IW57a2gs)

Comment by Leticia Prado – March 15, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I almost chose Hide Your Love Away for Kree before settling on Don’t Let Me Down.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like “This Boy” for Paul.
      I want to hear Devin sing “Michelle.”
      I think Angie could do a good job with “In My Life.” But I think Kree would do an even better job with it.
      Maybe Kree should do something more challenging like “Julia.”

Comment by Montavilla – March 15, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God, I would love it if one of the guys did “Girl.” That’s one of my Beatles favorites. I’d almost rather have Burnell try it, though. That way we could see if he really can carry a beautiful melody within his unique phrasing.

Comment by Bob – March 15, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice, fresh suggestions, nearly all of them. I suggested myself tha Abbey Road medley also and referred to Steven (such a grat performance!). I really like also your suggestions of Dear Prudence (could be awesome!) and You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away.

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – March 15, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Beatles but AI does this every year, tired of it, wish they’ed do something else!!!

Comment by K. – March 15, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They haven’t actually done it that much other than for the Las Vegas rounds. I only recall twice they’ve done it in the finals — season 7 and season 9.

Comment by Timmah – March 15, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, hey, I just found out which excuse they will use for using this theme again: **celebrating the 50 years of Beatlemania**

Comment by Leticia Prado – March 15, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m skipping next week. The AI producers can do all the changes they want to the format of the show, but until they have these singers sing songs that they think fit them as a future artist and not these myopic theme weeks, this show’s ratings will plummet further. Say what you want about The Voice, but they let their contestants sing a deeper variety of songs and it’s far more interesting. I’d rather hit myself over the head with a brick than see Lazaro sing Imagine or Yesterday.

Comment by Joe – March 15, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I may love the Beatles, but you certainly have a point.
      I don’t want to hear Lazaro sing Imagine or Yesterday (he doesn’t have the range for the latter). That’s why I’m thinking of I Will for him, as it’s a simple, sweet tune.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Funny, Marie, I just left a new thread at the bottom suggesting “If I Fell” for Lazaro, but my reason is the same as yours: It’s simple and sweet.

Comment by Bob – March 15, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joe,
      I agree with you 1000 %. I stated this on another blog an hour ago. This would be a game changer for AI and allow the contestants sing what they are good at, not some crap they will never sing or use.

Comment by Rudy – March 15, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s kind of funny: it took a number of years for Idol to get clearance to use Beatles material in the first place, and now, sounds like more than a few folks are tired of it!

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! My recollection is that they did not have clearance until Season 7. BTW Season 7 had two weeks of great performances when they had Beatles week and Lennon/McCartney week. Some comments here and elsewhere make it sound like this is a theme that goes all the way back to Season 1. The thing is, there are so many songs to choose from they would not need to repeat songs that have already been performed. Unfortunately, with this crew, I will be surprised if more then 1 or 2 of them picks something that has not already been done on the show before.

Comment by teatime – March 16, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yea I hear ya. I think tho the problem is not so much that they bringing back the theme but that seems every year contestants seem to gravitate to these songs and the like no matter what themes are given. I get that the Beatles were covered by many artists but that part should be the upside instead of seeming like the producers force the same songs on singers (and the audience) while the singers aren’t bringing much new to the table with it in terms of style, ability, and creativity so they entertain us.

Comment by Johnny – March 16, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul should not sing This Boy for a lot reasons.

Comment by forwarddad – March 15, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Angie on the piano singing Paul McCartney’s 1985? Or possibly Fool on the Hill? Paul Jolley could cover McCartney’s Take it Away. Maybe ob-la-di ob-la-da for Devin… and Amber could probably belt out Twist and Shout pretty easily.

Comment by Maria – March 15, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant suggestion for Amber – just perfect! Yes!
      But then again, Twist and Shout is not a Beatles original; they performed it as an Isley Brothers cover (ok, I Googled it, and there was actually an even earlier recording by a group called the Top Notes whom I’ve never heard of). So depending on the producers’ parameters, Twist and Shout may or may not meet the requirements.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know, my immediate thought AFTER I hit “Post” was, I can really be such a pain in the a$$ – sorry!

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Twist and Shout is not really a Lennon/McCartney song.
      It is the one real good version of the song, but The Beatles didn’t write it.

Comment by Leticia Prado – March 15, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Michael, I am the Walrus for Kree Harrison? Really? Don’t you think Oh! Darling is the kind of song she would naturally connect to? She knows who she is as an artist. That is such a bizarre suggestion in every way possible.

Comment by karen – March 15, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to agree: with a range like Kree’s, why tie her to a song with about three notes in it?

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love it if anyone would sing “I’ve just seen a face”

Comment by Ariadna Oller Mitjanas – March 15, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. That one could easily be “countrified” if desired, too.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truly one of my favorites, along with “Two of Us.”

Comment by Jessica Reffler – March 18, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could see Candice covering “Hey Jude”

Comment by CK – March 15, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. I’d almost bet my bottom dollar she does aGospel version of let It Be!

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Devin should do I wanna hold your hand

Comment by Charlene Israel – March 15, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That could work. I’ve heard a version by Jose Feliciano that would work well for Devin.

Comment by marie – March 15, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Michael, I love love LOVE your idea of “Say Say Say” for Devin! That’s a stroke of genius because it’s never been done (right?), and it’s upbeat, fun, and … any excuse to bring Michael Jackson into the mix is fine with me.
    “Got To Get You Into My Life” for Candice is good but a bit of an obvious choice since it was covered by EWF, and also Seyesha Mercado in season 7. Something less safe would make a bigger impact. “Revolution” is not bad. I suggest something she can jazz up, like “Oh Bladi Oh Blada”

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Devin would sound very good on Imagine…I’d imagine. ;) But, I really don’t want to hear it on Idol again.

Comment by connerc – March 15, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to see him do Across the Universe with alternating Spanish/English choruses.

Comment by Timmah – March 15, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also like when he sings in spanish. Actually I think his english singing is only O.K. but the spanish is better but not that great. But lets not kid ourselves tho, he was barely on the verge of being cut this week (both he and curtis should have been a double elim if u ask me for those performances). So I think if he pulls the spanish card this coming week i think he will out for sure. just my opinion tho..

Comment by Johnny – March 16, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is your suggestion for Paul serious, or an editorial comment? LOL.

Comment by Scott – March 15, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seems people have it out for Paul for some reason and its weird. I think he’s the strongest guy in the competition (granted i use the word guy loosely here). I felt sorry for him with Jimmy telling him all that BS about broadway getting into his head to make him go against what he would have likely naturally chose to perform that week. The result was a really flat basic performance and I felt he looked bored himself singing it and not himself. Then judges reinforce Jimmy saying its good except Mariah..

Comment by Johnny – March 16, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Kree sing “she said” but do the Black Keys version. Super bluesy and it would sound awesome with her voice.

Comment by Lauren – March 15, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Part of Idol’s problem is that they continue to dig up old fossils like Bon Jovi and themes like Lennon/McCartney. The judges criticize the contestants for not being current, yet Idol itself to blame. Enough songs from 50 years ago! More themes like “songs from the teens (2010′s that is).

Comment by Jim – March 15, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jim, do you actually want to HEAR the crappy songs from the last 10 years???? I’d rather lick Grand Central Station’s bathrooms clean with my tongue!!

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree – Yesterday, I’ve Just Seen a Face, Come Together, Black Bird
    Angie – Yesterday, Let it Be or Imagine

Comment by Julie – March 15, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about “If I Fell” for poor old Lazaro. Nice and simple, melodic, sweet. . . He ought to be able to do a decent turn on that one.

Comment by Bob – March 15, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL @ “poor old Lazaro”. But – yeah, that’s a good choice for him. Didn’t Jason Castro do that? “Here There Everywhere” is another sweet, simple melody, as is “And I Love Her”.

Comment by deedee – March 15, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lazaro is the one who snaps me back to the reality that its supposed to be a reality show. In reality, even if those crazy result numbers are true, he just will not be a successful artist. I hate to say but he will just always be his sob story because of how idol is pimping him I think. That being said of reality TV, when it comes to the finale it just seems this yr they are reverting back to a cinderella story type finish. And Lazaro could still be a cinderella candidate for an emotional finale.

Comment by Johnny – March 16, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “If I Fell” really has to be done as a duet. A lot of the beauty in that song is the harmony.

Comment by CAS – March 19, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg..please. No one should have ever done Imagine again after David Archuleta, though tragically, some have…but least of all Lazaro!! Bite your tongue.

Comment by Amy – March 15, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These songbook themes, such as Lennon/McCartney; are oldies radio, done over and over on talent shows, etc. No matter how good the songbook is, it’s one of the 3 reasons why the show is getting increasingly boring and stale to many……………………………

I know several teens that are singers and musicians —- that occasionally watch some of Idol if nothing else is going on, and they don’t have it high on the list — because you match some of this group of singers with old music —- and it becomes way too boring for them to sit through..

Comment by Guitar Blue – March 15, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree – My Love (by the way, it is nice, that you reminded me from this song) or Blackbird
    Amber – Medley: She Came In Through The Bathroom Window / Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight (see Steven Tyler performing it in YouTube in Kennedy Center honors Paul McCartney)
    Angie – In My Life
    Candice – Woman Is The… (I would like to suggest this, but it may still be too contraversial and political) or Watching The Wheels or your Got To Get you Into My Life is not bad either
    Janelle – Band On The Run or Here, There And Everywhere
    Lazaro – Mother Nature’s Son
    Burnell – Strawberry Fields Forever
    Paul – With The Little Help From The Friends
    Devin – Fool On The Hill

They have made so many doos songs, that I wanted to suggest that kind, we have not heard in AI earlier

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – March 15, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Long And Winding Road could be also alternative to Devin or Angie

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – March 15, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is too bad, this is only McCartney – Lennon, because George Harrison has also made so many wonderful songs

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – March 15, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Janelle should pay homage to the best American Idol performance ever: Kristy Lee’s “Eight Days A Week”!

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hoo-boy…did ya have to bring us back there…

Comment by Amy – March 15, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes so we can see if the judges will use the save on her. I wish they get that save business out of the way much earlier in the competition so that afterwards maybe everyone work harder because if they get lowest votes they are just gone because no more saving.

Comment by Johnny – March 16, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe no one mentioned Drive My Car, Ticket to Ride, Hello Goodbye, or Get Back. All Idol-friendly songs that have never been done on the show

My thoughts:

Amber – Drive My Car (put a fun, kind of bratty spin on it)
    Paul – I’ve Just Seen a Face
    Janelle – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away (easy to put a country lilt on)
    Candice – Ticket To Ride (belt it out, girl)
    Devin – Got to Get You Into My Life
    Lazaro – If I Fell
    Burnell – Instant Karma
    Kree – Get Back (has a country-soul sound)
    Angela – Hello Goodbye (done on Glee, the younguns know it)

Comment by Harvey – March 15, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GReat suggestions, each and every one. Kree could pull off Get Back. Just watch Tina Turner’s classic Get Back on YouTube. The contestants should visit YouTube and check out how other artists have interpreted these songs thru the years.

Comment by karen – March 15, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It sure would at least be more interesting to watch if all the contestants chose to perform the songs in a different format either in a way another great artist has covered it or even better if they showed creativity to put a whole new spin of their own on it. I always wonder just hoe much is at their disposal for stuff like researching and working on their music there.

Comment by Johnny – March 17, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about I Saw Her Standing There or The night Before?

Comment by BummedOut – March 17, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just a thought…everyone is thinking of “sweet simple ballads” for Lazaro, maybe because they suit his sweet personality? But as I’m thinking, the one week he came alive and did the best was on that “Feelin’ Good” song…which had a little grit and groove. And honestly, his enunciation of words and holding of glory notes is not that strong for soft ballads where you need a good vocal technique, control & tone. I mean you always need that, but I think he might fair better with something with a little sass, more upbeat, more performance oriented?
    And I don’t even know why I’m analyzing this because much as I’m not against giving this kid a shot to grow and feel good about the guts it takes for him to even be there…but I still don’t think I want to see him in top 3! And you can laugh…but it’s Idol man…stranger things can happen..

Comment by Amy – March 15, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think some of you understand that this is the year of the excruciating boring ballads. Why even bother suggesting the Beatles’ rock songs? It’s going to be 9 versions Imagine unless somebody does Yesterday to break it up.

They really need to throw in a Slayer week to bump up the ratings.

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – March 15, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah it will be:

Let it Be
      Imagine
      Yesterday
      Little Help From My Friend
      Long and Winding Road
      Hey Jude
      Across The Universe
      I Wanna hold Your Hand (ballad version)
      Help (Ballad Version)

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any song with a whiff of controversy, and that person is gone. Revolution? No, death trap. Lady Madonna? No, and it’s not a good song anyway. I am the Walrus? Gone, Gone, Gone. People who vote for Lazaro (like Scotty McCreery and Phil Phillps before him) are blind to all that–blind to everything, really, and so HE could sing any Beatles song and get away with it. I just hope that we don’t get songs Done to Death, like Imagine or Let it Be or Come Together. there’s lots of songs that could be good; only a true idiot would pick the overly familiar and DOne to Death songs. Unless, of course, the producers list is much narrower than we are told, or some poor kid is pressured into singing a particular song.

Comment by Lois Benton – March 15, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone should sing “the night before”. Maybe Janelle can country it up. Its a great forgotten song.

Comment by jen – March 15, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would KILL to hear Candice do Helter Skelter a la Across the Universe, but give it her precision flare. More in the realm of songs that will actually be sung, Day Tripper (the lesser known David Cook Beatles’ cover) would be a trip all on its own if she ripped into it.

Angie would probably best work with Let It Be but I’d love to hear her sing Hey Jude, or better, it’d be a great surprise if she pulled out Eleanor Rigby

Kree would be great on Yesterday, and I could hear her doing the ATU version of IWHYH.

Burnell would sound really good if he twisted IWHYH in his direction as well, and he could bring some flavor to Revolution if he played it right.

Devin is just ideal for any of the pretty ballads above, but if he wanted to show a truly different side of himself, I’d give him We Can Work It Out and see where he went with it. I’d recommend Across The Universe for him but I think he’d try to add too much melisma in the empty spaces.

Paul could do Eleanor Rigby too I suppose, but I’d actually love to hear him tone it way down and do Stawberry Fields of Across the Universe.

I think recommending All My Loving for Janell is the exact opposite way to go. She’ll blankly smile through it while delivering another performance like If I Can Dream. If she really wants to make her mark, she’ll either take it really soft and go with Blackbird, or go for a real country-rock stage stomper and twist A Shot of Rhythm and Blues (not that they’ll ever actually choose this song).

For Amber I’d love to hear her do A Taste of Honey as a big dramatic ballad, or perhaps While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

And as for Lazaro, we all know he’ll end up doing Imagine. I really don’t have anything to recommend for him. He’s just not that great. He could do plenty of these songs but I can’t even think of a hypothetical where he sounds better than average.

Comment by Will – March 15, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree Harrison- Strawberry Fields Forever
    Burnell Taylor- Eleanor Rigby
    Janelle Arthur- Helter Skelter
    Devin Valez- Let It Be
    Angela Miller- Maybe I’m Amazed
    Paul Jolley- Yesterday
    Candice Glover- Oh! Darling
    Lazaro Arbos- Hey Jude
    Amber Holcomb- Revolution

Comment by ezequiel – March 15, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone needs to sing “A Hard Day’s Night”, I don’t think it’s ever been covered on Idol and it’s one of their best songs!

Comment by Lauren – March 15, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My two cents’ worth -

Candice – “Don’t Let Me Down” (Phoebe Snow’s version) or anything else! :)
    Kree – “Oh, Darling!” or “Ticket to Ride”
    Angie – “Fool on the Hill” or “Golden Slumbers”
    Amber – “Here, There and Everywhere” or “You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me”
    Janelle – “If You Won’t See Me” or”Act Naturally”

Devin – “And I Love Her” with some Spanish or “Michelle”
    Lazaro – “If I Fell”
    Burnell – “Girl”
    Paul – “For No One” or “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love”

Comment by Linda – March 15, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody think of “Yellow Submarine” for Lazaro? It’s not a ballad, it’s kind of fun, and it’s got a pretty small range.

Comment by JoniC – March 15, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since I love Season 7, my suggestions would be from that season’s two weeks of Beatles covers.

Kree – Across the Universe (Michael Johns) or Come Together (Carly Smithson)
    Candice – In My Life (Ramiele Malubay) or Let It Be gospel version (Brooke White)
    Angela – Let It Be piano version (Brooke White) or I Should Have Known Better (Ramiele Malubay)
    Lazaro – Eight Days a Week (KRISTY LEE COOK) or A Day in the Life (Michael Johns)
    Paul Jolley – Blackbird (Carly Smithson) or Eleanor Rigby (David Cook)
    Devin – Long and Winding Road (David Archuleta)
    Burnell – I Saw Her Standing There (David Hernandez)
    Amber – Yesterday (Syesha Mercado) or You Can’t Do That (Amanda Overmyer)
    Janelle – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away (KRISTY LEE COOK) or Here Comes the Sun (Brooke White and her limp arm)

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 15, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one should do “A Day in the Life”. It’s not a song that lends itself to being chopped down to 90 seconds. I remember how bad I thought it was when Michael Johns did it.

Comment by CAS – March 16, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate this theme sooooo much! I get that Lennon-McCartney are great to a lot of people (myself not included…I feel it’s important that’s said) but URGH they are so outdated!

Comment by TJ – March 16, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you so much for sharing your utterly valueless opinion, TJ. If the Beatles are so “outdated,” why are still selling millions of albums 43 years after breaking up?? Answer me that!

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, I’m sorry, and you’re so right. They are really fresh and current. They’re all over the top 40 scene…

Comment by TJ – March 16, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Have you SEEN what’s on the Top 40 lately? It’s crap, crap, and more crap. It’s for teenyboppers who think that rap and hip-hop and B.S. like Rihanna and Ke$ha are actually cool. The rest of us know what GOOD music is, and we’re the ones still buying the Beatles’ classics in record numbers. They’re only “outdated” for followers like you who have drunk the Top 40 Kool-Aid.

Comment by Shawna – March 16, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • oohhh you’re one of those smug types who believe they are one of the only ones that have the authority to judge whether or not a piece of music is ‘GOOD’ … Your way, or the highway, huh? Have fun without me. I don’t want to play in your yard….

Comment by TJ – March 17, 2013 01:37 AM PDT
          • Good. We don’t want you here.

Comment by Shawna – March 17, 2013 01:42 AM PDT
          • That said old people back in the 60s said the same thing about the Beatles ;). So keep in mind people were saying the same thing about the music you love back when you were a teenybopper (in fact you were probably one of the original teenyboppers and were one when that term was widely used).
            (granted hip-hop is more tuneless and it’s a different sort of thing and auto-tune has gone wild lately, so I will give you just a little)

Comment by Maybe – March 17, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
          • OK, well if you were in HS in the mid-80s then you are a lot, lot younger than I thought.

Comment by Maybe – March 17, 2013 11:45 AM PDT
          • Actually, there’s some pretty good music on the pop charts lately: Mum ford & Sons, Imagine Dragons, Kelly Clarkson’s “Catch My Breath”, I even heard Muse’s “Madness” this week on a pop station. Even Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’s “Thrift Shop” is interesting, especially for a rap song. Its not like 2007, when it was wall to wall junk.

Comment by Houster – March 17, 2013 11:53 AM PDT
          • Houster: That’s great news, I hope things are turning around for recent popular music. Hopefully “artists” (term used VERY loosely) like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera (although she does have a good voice), Rihanna, Demi Lovato, One Direction, Justin Bieber, etc. are on the wane and good stuff like the artists you mentioned will start to take over the charts again. I would love that!

Comment by Shawna – March 17, 2013 12:41 PM PDT
          • Maybe: Yeah, I understand what you’re saying, and BELIEVE me, I hate to sound like an old fart about today’s music!! I think the difference is, a LOT of kids I talk to today (my daughters are in high school so I chat with them a lot) agree that popular music sucks these days. That wasn’t the case at all in the 1960s. That says something right there. ;-)

Comment by Shawna – March 17, 2013 12:35 PM PDT
  • After I miraculously made it through this past theme week, for some reason I felt hopeful we would move on to better themes or at least ones that haven’t been done already. When I saw this next weeks theme I just dropped my head for a moment of silence. I was soo disappointed. I have no suggestions of songs as I just think only older hardcore Beatles fans will appreciate the theme more anyway. I love their contribution to music, but just don’t think these ppl can bring it to new life for everyone.

Comment by Johnny – March 16, 2013 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post