American Horror Story: Season 3 Title Revealed

Get More: News, PaleyFest

American Horror Story Coven Season 3 SpoilersBig chills are coming to the Big Easy.

American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy revealed Friday evening on the final night of PaleyFest 2013 that the third installment of the FX frightfest would be subtitled Coven.

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 3: Ryan Murphy Teases Kathy Bates’ Turn as a ‘Bad, Bad Woman!’

He also confirmed that which was leaked last week, that the new season will film, in part, in New Orleans.

And while it’s obvious that witches figure into AHS: Coven, Murphy indicated that the show will once again conjure up a melange of scary themes. “It’s about a lot of things,” he said.

Turning to its genesis, he explained, “It’s a really cool story that we’ve been talking about for a couple of years actually, and this seemed the year to do it.”

As for the setting, Murphy reiterated that the narrative will take place in multiple cities, and that this marks the first year the show will go on the road and shoot on location. (The Harmon House and asylum interiors, he noted, were sets on a studio.)

When approaching Season 3, Murphy said, “The fun thing is researching what are the really haunted places in America, and we have a couple doozy locales.”

Asked about her role in Coven — which had previously been summed up as a “glamour cat” — threepeat cast member Jessica Lange said, “I don’t know what a ‘glamour cat’ is, but I am excited.”

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 3 Scoop: Evan Peters Will ‘Probably Be Playing a [Spoiler]‘

Other returning players include Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Frances Conroy and Taissa Farmiga, while Kathy Bates is the “new kid” on the block, playing what Murphy has called “a bad, bad woman,” someone “five times worse than [her] Misery character — which is why she liked it.”

Bates joined the PaleyFest panel toward the end, saying that she won’t have a bead on her character “until I’ve gotten in and walked around in her shoes yet, but I’m awfully excited.”

“I wanted to see a lot of scenes of Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates going at it,” Murphy said of Horror Story‘s latest great casting get, “so that’s what you’re going to see.”

Comments (70)

• Witches! I’m super excited about this.

Comment by rachelle – March 15, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whoa that sounds a really cool idea

Comment by Michael (@mike10dude) – March 15, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope It’s about witches/has witches

I’m getting excited!!!

witches are my favorite :D

Comment by CharlieS – March 15, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really… The title is Coven. Of course its going to be about witches it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Comment by Sarin – April 21, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent!

Comment by Teag – March 15, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome!! So excited! :)

Comment by Laura – March 15, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!

Comment by Spencer – March 15, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t like Taissa Farmiga but everyone else seems cool!

Comment by Nina – March 15, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Bummer that they had to bring Farmiga back.

Comment by Meh – March 16, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aw, I like her. She’s a good little actress. Great chemistry with Evan Peters.

Comment by DL – March 16, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad she’s back. I stopped watching because she wasn’t in season 2, so I guess pour opinions differ. Just because you didnt like her season one character doesn’t mean you should write her off, jeez.

Comment by J – March 17, 2013 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because she wasn’t in season two doesn’t mean you should have wrote the season off, jeez.

Comment by Olive – March 17, 2013 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wasn’t all that impressed with season 2. I absolutely loved season 1. 2 I just didn’t get or find that great. I’m very excited for 3!!

Comment by April – April 4, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Only thing about season 2 I didn’t like was the aliens..but everything else was pretty good. I think it was better than season 1 actually. season 1 was good at the beginning and was creepy but lost its touch towards the end

Comment by whatwhatinthebutt – April 14, 2013 07:09 PM PDT
          • Season one was incredible so I understand following that act was difficult. With that said, season two was quite a disappointment. The writers really tried to over think every story line thus making it not only confusing but far less interesting for the viewer. Many of my friends dropped off from watching last year because they said each week is they same thing, a confusing plot that goes nowhere and I can just wait to watch the last episode to see how it finishes. Well it didn’t have a great finish either. Sorry for the negativity but it is my honest opinion. I love the show and it has some of the best actors in television.
            I like the thought of going back to the roots of the show, “The Genesis!” This was the season that put AHS on the map. Please go back to what worked then. Don’t feel the need to have 6 sub-plots ongoing every week that aren’t resolved till the last one hour episode.
            I knew last season while watching the final episode 40 minutes into it, that the ending would be disappointing. They left 20 minutes to sum up the entire season and all of the open plots. Not only was it disappointing but also very predictable. It left me with the feeling of “I watched this all season, every week for that!!!!”

Comment by Joe – April 18, 2013 07:59 AM PDT
        • Lmfao!! Thanks for pointing that out. If you didn’t then I would have!

Comment by Kris10 – April 18, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Peaches&Cream

Comment by Mintris – April 18, 2013 08:58 PM PDT
        • Lmfao!! Thanks for pointing that out. If you didn’t then I would have!

Comment by Mintris – April 18, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Olive, I could not have said it better myself!

Comment by Junebug – April 18, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn you Ryan Murphy! We it was going to center around the witches of Salem.

Comment by Lisa – March 15, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PS LOVE the casting of Kathy Bates. I’m her biggest fan!

Comment by Lisa – March 15, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • love ahs …cant wait for new storyline.kathy bates,oh yeah,she will fit right in.great actress.

Comment by bridget mckinney – April 25, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You might get your wish yet. They said multiple cities.

Comment by BTM – March 16, 2013 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my goodness, this is just the best news ever! If I couldn’t wait for season three before, I surely can’t now!!! SO EXCITED! :D

Comment by Finch – March 15, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa it’s taking place in three different cities, they’ll more than likely flash back to Salem as one of the other two locations

Comment by Bobby – March 15, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmmmm. . . witches it’s interesting but hmmm. i liked more the not so supernatural asylum(okay there was the devil,and the aliens). but overall I can’t wait for AHS to air.I hope they go bad-ass on a killing hunt. the cast is awesome as always, but we need a male lead to make it a bit more appealing.

Comment by Maki – March 16, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so exited! Witches seems like the perfect theme for this excellent cast. I’m glad Dylan McDermott isn’t mentioned. To me he has been the weakest link in both installments.

Comment by youbetterwatchit – March 16, 2013 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone name something that will be better than Lange vs. Bates. Nothing will top it.

Comment by dee123 – March 16, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too early to cast him out. But Bates and Lange together nobody else can beat those two. :D

Comment by tahina – March 16, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • season 1—ghosts
    season 2—demons
    season 3—witches
    hmmm season 4—- the government

Comment by Edania Hernandez – March 16, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So that would mean Season 4 would be about A*sholes,Liars and Idiots .

Comment by Whatever – March 16, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would love to help Ryan with the treatment for that AHS:ALI….but then we would have to hire an entirely new cast because I would NEVER suspect these brilliant actors to such drivel! 😈😈😈

Comment by Lisa – March 16, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So the 4th season is Glee?

Comment by dee123 – March 17, 2013 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • season 2 demon, and aliens*

Comment by syler – May 9, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huge fan of the AHS franchise. Coven looks like it might be the best yet with Lange,Bates,Paulson and Peters. Best cast on television period!

Comment by Jade – March 16, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome casting. The battle pf the witch and the glamorcat! I love this show! Lily Rabe was stellar in Asylum as was Sarah Paulsen!

Comment by Mike Brown – March 16, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kathy Bates & Jessica Lange are an Emmy looking for a place to happen !
    The scenes between those two ladies are going to be something to see.
    I’m really looking forward to this season.

Comment by Whatever – March 16, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What sucks is that the emmys are getting rid of the supporting categories for miniseries so they will have to compete against each other.

Comment by Christian – March 16, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That really does suck.
        So they will continue to give emmys to reality shows and cut the Emmys that go supporting actors in mini series, professional people who ACTUALLY know how to act. That’s just ridiculous.
        I’m sure they have other catagories that could be cut.

Comment by Whatever – March 16, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huge fan of AHS! So long as any of Lange, Paulson, Peters and Rabe is there i’ll be tuning in. Damn, all four of them are in s3 what more could i ask for? Can’t wait. Sure this will be their best season yet.

Comment by oliver – March 16, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please just stick to witches this season! Don’t want another hodge-podge of possessions, aliens, mutants, etc.

Comment by Jay – March 16, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only witches this season? Boring.

Comment by Teag – March 16, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Taissa. I think her character was just mopey and unlikeable in season 1. I’m very excited for this season

Comment by Mikael – March 16, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same, but I still think she’s a great actress, more so in her Sisters debut movie. Annoys me to see people hating on her. She’s even better at acting than Evan P.

Comment by J – March 17, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Watch your mouth!

Comment by roxanne – May 14, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! For sure another great season for AHS! and the cast..amazing! Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe..and the fantastic Kathy Bates. Can’t wait!!!

Comment by t86 – March 16, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it has to be centered around Delphine LaLaurie, this is going to be epic!

Comment by MB4210 – March 16, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it but I still don’t get why it’s American. What makes these horror stories American?

Comment by Pepper – March 17, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because they happen in different locations around America.

Comment by Fuifyu – March 17, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, I’ll take it.
      But most of the shows I watch are located in America and they don’t have to state it in the title.
      American Glee, American Criminal Minds, How I Met Your American Mother OR Lost Canadian Girl.

And I get all others “Americans”. Pie, Beauty, Idiot. I see how they are American but the horror stories could happen anywhere.

Comment by Pepper – March 17, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh wow, Kathy bates and Jessica Lange going mano-a-mano! That could just be worth it!

Comment by tjj50 – March 17, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Season 1, didn’t care much for Season 2, but I’ll definitely check out Season 3.

Comment by TobyG. – March 28, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Word Runnings and commented:
    Oh my god…Kathy Bates will be in the new season of American Horror Story! ~swoons~

Comment by Mika – March 28, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This I hope well be great os the first season last season was not as good & why say the first shooting on location there were location shots in the first season if i recall

Comment by karl – March 29, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super excited, i love AHS! Each season gets better n better. Keep up the great job!

Comment by Lisa – March 30, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Minha amiga assiste essa série, mas sinceramente nunca tive vontade de assistir,

Beijokas da Mylloka
    Blog da Mylloka :*

Comment by Mylla Stefany – March 30, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been a fan of this show, but as an actul Witch, I’m afraid I might not like this season. It being a horror-type show, I’m sure these aren’t going to be nice or realistic Witches. We’ve gotten the government and the military to recognize our religion, but it’s going to be a long time, maybe never, before Witches will be understood and welcomed by society in general. Shows like this don’t help.

Comment by Cherie DuFault – April 1, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they are taking on the cause of recognized religion. It’s a TV show (and an amazing one at that.) They do not bear a responsibility or to provide an agenda or platform. Alas, we as Witches have less difficulty being welcomed, and understood than bible thumpers in the south and many others…. Frankly we are not exclusive anymore and pale in comparison to most plights at this time. I enjoy AHS and can hardly wait for season 3!

Comment by Raven – April 12, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is this the same guy that does Glee? Seems like Ryan has quite the brilliant, twisted mind I can truly appreciate….. In totally different ways…… Keep doin Hun, it’s working!!!!!

Comment by Deanna monti – April 7, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooo happy that Evan Peters is coming back for a third season!

Comment by Cynder – April 9, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters, Zachary Quinto,Dylan McDermott. Fantastic casting. And now Kathy Bates. The man has an eye for talent. For me, the BEST drama show on TV. Won’t miss it. What an utterly fantastic show. Well done Ryan Murphy. By the way, loved The Name Game number in S2!

Comment by Harlem Calleja – April 17, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love american horror story! i have nothing to complain about. it is the best show ever on television. im already dreading the day its over. til then, i am a very happy ahs fan forever! love u evan!

Comment by niki tritt – April 22, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best haunted building in Los Angeles is the art deco 3050 Wilshire Blvd building. Now home to Southwestern and at least two unsettled spirits. Would be a GREAT location!

Comment by Hillary Kane – April 24, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t very fond of Lily Rabe in s1, but she knocked it out of the park in s2.
    I’m willing to bet we have yet to see greater things from Taissa Farmiga – not everyone can shine in every role, but I thought she was pretty good in s1…
    REALLY looking forward to s3!!! witches! & Kathy Bates?! she’s KILLER!!! :P

Comment by Les – April 25, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as that sexy beast Dylan McDermott comes back, I’m happy!

Comment by Amber Liversedge – April 25, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I heard season 2 wasnt going to be a continuance of season 1, I was a little heart broken. But really I like it actually. We still get these amazing actors and actresses, but get to see them in a different light. And I think it keeps them on their toes without having to always find a new job.

Comment by Bug2009 – April 25, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bring back Pepper in the new season

Comment by guy – April 28, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bring back Pepper in the new season

Comment by lakshyapurohit – May 17, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love AHS. The writing is so creative and intriguing. It has delivered a thrill both seasons so far. You have to appreciate the creative writing that comes to life in the show and the difficulty that it takes to capture a writers vision on film. With a loaded cast, this show is the best on TV in my opinion, so I am very much looking forward to the third season. As a New Orleans native, I always pictured the setting for a season here because it naturally has those history of hauntings that American Horor Story which tends to be the focus of AHS’s plot lines.

Comment by Marta Carlsbad – June 8, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am extremely impressed together with your writing skills and also with the layout for your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it yourself? Either way stay up the nice quality writing, it is rare to look a nice blog like this one nowadays..

Comment by Watch American Horror Story Season 3 Episode 2 Online – October 16, 2013 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post