CBS Pilot News: Mandy Moore Joins Advocates

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

CBS' The Advocates PilotLess that a week after exiting an ABC comedy pilot, Mandy Moore has been tapped to co-star opposite Southland’Ben McKenzie in the potential CBS drama The Advocates, TVLine has learned.

From Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, the project centers on the relationship between a lawyer (Moore) and an ex-con (McKenzie) who team up as “victim advocates,” going to the edge of the law to right wrongs and fight for the underdog.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Described as a “take-no-prisoners” ADA, Moore’s character Shannon got into the advocacy game after learning the truth about her tragic past and its connection to a wrongly incarcerated man.

As noted above, Moore was previously set to co-star in ABC’s Pulling pilot, but departed the comedy early this month after writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky “moved the character in a different direction.” 30 Rock alumna Kristen Schaal has since been tapped to replace her.

Comments (15)

• Good for her. She found that job quick.

Comment by lll – March 14, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her better in a drama anyway. So if it’s looking like Southland is really finished after this season is it going to get a satisfying series finale? I hope so because TNT doesn’t really have a great track record with doing that for their series (Hawthorne, Men of a Certain Age, etc). Southland only does 10 episodes a season so maybe it can work around this series?

Comment by David – March 14, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her.

Comment by Renee – March 14, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am liking this pilot. I hope it gets picked up.

Comment by ABC – March 14, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I grew up with the OC and A Walk to Remember, this totally makes my day! Jamie Sullivan and Ryan Atwood on the same show?! LOVE it!!

Comment by Maggie – March 14, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly she had this one in her back pocket. Now we just wait to see what shows actually get picked up

Comment by Ram510 – March 14, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds awesome! I was already checking this out for Ben McKenzie, now it’s a lock-in.

Comment by Lauren – March 14, 2013 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The most important question here is what does this mean for/about SouthLAnd?

Comment by Fletcher – March 15, 2013 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the two of them together. I agree that she will be better in a drama anyways, so this should (hopefully) be good!

Comment by Amanda – March 15, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much better fit for her and the show sounds a lot better too.

Comment by Josh – March 15, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always liked Mandy Moore. I’ll definitely check this out if it gets picked up.

Comment by Erin – March 15, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…centers on the relationship between a lawyer (Moore) and an ex-con (McKenzie)…” That’s why she left the ABC pilot. When she signed up for it, it centered on her. Then they started adding more and more characters so that it became an ensemble cast. Lose the focus on her, lose her. “You’re so vain….”

Comment by Bob – March 15, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for her – take that ABC/Pulling. Mandy probably wanted to do a comedy, but this role will fit her well. Advocates has good potential and it’s on CBS – if it gets picked up and Pulling doesn’t, this could be a blessing.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 15, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t see her being good in this. She’s just not good at serious because she’s very one note. It’s kind of distracting in that way whenever you watch her in something.

Comment by Danielle H. – March 15, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I imagine this being a cross between the quirkiness of Castle and drama of The Good Wife. I hope it’s good because I’m loving the cast. :)

Comment by Sara – May 19, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post