CBS Pilot News: Mandy Moore Joins Advocates

CBS' The Advocates PilotLess that a week after exiting an ABC comedy pilot, Mandy Moore has been tapped to co-star opposite Southland’Ben McKenzie in the potential CBS drama The Advocates, TVLine has learned.

From Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, the project centers on the relationship between a lawyer (Moore) and an ex-con (McKenzie) who team up as “victim advocates,” going to the edge of the law to right wrongs and fight for the underdog.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Described as a “take-no-prisoners” ADA, Moore’s character Shannon got into the advocacy game after learning the truth about her tragic past and its connection to a wrongly incarcerated man.

As noted above, Moore was previously set to co-star in ABC’s Pulling pilot, but departed the comedy early this month after writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky “moved the character in a different direction.” 30 Rock alumna Kristen Schaal has since been tapped to replace her.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. lll says:

Good for her. She found that job quick.

2. David says:

I like her better in a drama anyway. So if it’s looking like Southland is really finished after this season is it going to get a satisfying series finale? I hope so because TNT doesn’t really have a great track record with doing that for their series (Hawthorne, Men of a Certain Age, etc). Southland only does 10 episodes a season so maybe it can work around this series?

3. Renee says:

I like her.

4. ABC says:

I am liking this pilot. I hope it gets picked up.

5. Maggie says:

I grew up with the OC and A Walk to Remember, this totally makes my day! Jamie Sullivan and Ryan Atwood on the same show?! LOVE it!!

6. Ram510 says:

Clearly she had this one in her back pocket. Now we just wait to see what shows actually get picked up

7. Lauren says:

Sounds awesome! I was already checking this out for Ben McKenzie, now it’s a lock-in.

8. Fletcher says:

The most important question here is what does this mean for/about SouthLAnd?

9. Amanda says:

Love the two of them together. I agree that she will be better in a drama anyways, so this should (hopefully) be good!

10. Josh says:

Much better fit for her and the show sounds a lot better too.

11. Erin says:

I’ve always liked Mandy Moore. I’ll definitely check this out if it gets picked up.

12. Bob says:

“…centers on the relationship between a lawyer (Moore) and an ex-con (McKenzie)…” That’s why she left the ABC pilot. When she signed up for it, it centered on her. Then they started adding more and more characters so that it became an ensemble cast. Lose the focus on her, lose her. “You’re so vain….”

13. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good for her – take that ABC/Pulling. Mandy probably wanted to do a comedy, but this role will fit her well. Advocates has good potential and it’s on CBS – if it gets picked up and Pulling doesn’t, this could be a blessing.

14. Danielle H. says:

I can’t see her being good in this. She’s just not good at serious because she’s very one note. It’s kind of distracting in that way whenever you watch her in something.

15. Sara says:

I imagine this being a cross between the quirkiness of Castle and drama of The Good Wife. I hope it’s good because I’m loving the cast. :)