Fox Pilot Scoop: Chris Meloni to Headline Bill Lawrence's I Suck at Girls Comedy Adaptation

Chris Meloni I Suck at Girls Comedy Pilot FoxIn a major coup for Fox, Chris Meloni has signed on to star in Bill Lawrence’s currently-untitled comedy adaptation of Justin Halpern’s book, I Suck at Girls, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Exclusive: Chris Meloni Breaks His Silence About SVU Exit: Fans Got ‘Rug Pulled Out From Under Them’

The single-cam pilot, penned by Halpern, tells the story of “a boy becoming a man and a man becoming a father, in a time before ‘coming of age’ was something you could Google.” Patrick Schumacker co-wrote the script and will serve as an EP alongside Lawrence, Halpern and Jeff Ingold. (Halpern and Schumacker co-created CBS’ short-lived Twitter-inspired comedy $#*! My Dad Says.)

RELATED | TVLine’s Complete Guide to Pilot Season 2013: All the Scoop on This Fall’s Possible Newcomers

Meloni, who has been one of pilot season’s hottest properties since leaving Law & Order: SVU two years ago, will play Jack Dunlevy, a military man-turned oncologist who talks to everyone like they’re 75-years-old and dying of cancer: just a no bulls–t guy. Up to this point in his life, Jack’s just been the guy who’s gone to work early in the morning, come home late, eaten the big piece of chicken, yells at his kids, and goes to bed. But now his wife is going to law school, and he’s going to have to take a much more active role in his kids’ lives.

Meloni’s post-SVU work has included a five-episode run on True Blood and a supporting role in Warner Bros’ upcoming Superman reboot Man of Steel.

1. JJ says:

Well crap! Another show I had no interest in that I’m going to have to watch now.

2. Amanda says:

…and then maybe Jack starts to feel a bit lonely because of the long hours his wife spends and school and studying so he takes a lover. Played by Lee Tergesen. Please? PLEASE?!

3. Dianne says:

Well, I for one will give it a chance. I love Chris Meloni. I had hoped the flailing SVU would rehire him, but will be happy to cast my gaze on him anywhere. He is most underappreciated.

• icywinter2 says:

What even makes you think SVU is Failing, it’s not. Second they never fired him in the first place, he leave on his own to pursue other acting gigs. He himself has said that NBC and him are on good terms. He made that choice to leave not NBC…

• Kimberly Allred says:

Yes he did decided to leave on his own. He could go back if he wanted to. I can’t wait to see him in this new show. I have been following him since the very beginning of his career. I love Chris Meloni he is so awesome and is the sexiest man that walks this planet. He’s a great guy I meet him during the filming of the last episode of SVU he was in. He’s very fan friendly and a lot of fun.

4. beckie b says:

DONT CARE, HE WILL AWAYS BE STABLER TO ME.

5. DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I need more of Christopher Meloni in my bedroom… on the TV or actually there. Either is fine. Just more.

6. Zachary says:

Can’t wait to see Meloni in a comedy. The only problem is, Fox has already picked up 2 comedies, and will probably only pick up one more. It’s going to be some stiff competition.

7. Lynn says:

Ummm the piss poor ratings and warren Leights attitude say the show is failing. Oh and they have lost a million view since casting RAPIST Mike Tyson

• Nightly says:

“piss-poor ratings” Yeah, that’s why it’s one of the top 25 most watched shows. Cause of “piss poor ratings” go home, MeloniTroll lol

• Jo B. says:

Most watched?!?? I look at ratings WEEKLY and have done a year on year comparison of SVU ratings. SVU hit a series low after Warren Leight took over. They’ve only gone over 8 M viewers 3 TIMES since Chris and Neal left. Out of those 3 times – 2 times were in s13 and for s14 it’s only happened ONCE. Ratings have not gone beyond 1.7 in demos is a LONG TIME. So how is it one of the most watched?

Maybe that is true OVER ALL – meaning including season 1 thru 12 reruns. But the current season SVU – hell no.

I’m so glad Chris is back on TV!! And I’m glad it’s not on a dying show like SVU. He deserves to be on a great show showing his comedic chops.

• Kimberly Allred says:

Hey easy there The shows ratings didn’t die because of Warren taking over and Chris and Neal Leaving. Shows have their ups and downs. Their are going on their 15 th season so it can’t be that bad. Get a grip

8. Zoe says:

…Well. Maybe it’ll fail and THEN he’ll come back to SVU? Seriously, how long do we have to drag this out?

9. KND says:

Chris Meloni back on my tv yes please!!

10. Eric says:

The show sounds good, but I’m not too sure about this casting. I really do hope it will make it to air though.

11. Suck it, Sean says:

Mmmmm-kay. That title is not too sexually provocative, is it?

12. Danielle H. says:

As long as his shirt is off, I’m in.

13. Laurel L. says:

I’m just thankful he’s coming back to tv!!!

14. Miffy says:

Bill Lawrence should do an autobiographical TV series: “I Suck at Shows”.

15. erenae says:

Meh…Synopsis does not interest me. I don’t think I’ll be tuning in for this one.

16. Susan says:

Suv just isn’t the same without stabler. I have a hard time thinking of him as anyone else. When is he on fox?

17. Susan says:

I heard that he left suv due to money issues.