It's True: The Veronica Mars Movie Is Happening -- If We All Chip In, Right Now

Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter After nearly six years of wishing, hoping and dreaming, Veronica Mars fans can take one final, big-screen trip back to Neptune — provided that everyone chips in to get a feature film follow-up made.

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

As first reported by EW.com, series creator Rob Thomas and frontwoman Kristen Bell have launched a Kickstarter fundraising campaign that, if at least $2 million is collected by April 12, will guarantee the production and distribution of a Veronica Mars movie.

“Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros. brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot. They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact,” Thomas says on the Kickstarter page. “Their reaction was, if you can show there’s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we’re on board.

“So this is it. This is our shot,” he stresses.”I believe it’s the only one we’ve got.”

The way Kickstarter works, for the uninitiated: People pledge dollars toward the funding of a project. Depending on the pledge point, “rewards” are available. In this case, $10 gets you a PDF of the shooting script, $25 gets a T-shirt thrown in, with $35 you’ll also get a digital copy of the movie before its limited theatrical release, and so on.

As Thomas notes, if just 80,000 of Mars‘ 3 million viewers chip in the most common Kickstarter pledge of $25, boom — LoVe is in the air!

If $2 mil is raised by April 12– when Bell has a window available to film it — the movie happens. If the goal is not met in time, you are charged not a penny and we say goodbye to Neptune forever. Here’s the direct link for making pledges.

In this video, Bell, Thomas, costars Jason Dohring, Ryan Hansen and Enrico Colantoni give you a taste of how it could be, while explaining the project.

1. Sara says:

Sweet lord this is so exciting. Amazing short they made too. I love that they’re still so interested in making this movie. They’ve already hit $50,000…:) Lets get this movie made, it’s been too long!!

2. Eric says:

Forget Veronica Mars!!!! Where’s the GILMORE GIRLS movie?????!!!!!

• Liz says:

Amen!! After their not so good last season and finale, we deserve to see Lorelai and Luke happy!! (and Rory & Dean, but I know some people will prefer Jess, but for me Dean was perfect).

• rty123 says:

I think it will never happen. Too split a fandom in the Rory camp.

• Jenny says:

Dean was such a wimp. I cringe watching him in reruns.

• Liz says:

A “wimp”? Because he wasn’t an *ss like Jess, or completely selfish like the 3rd one? But let’s not go there. I know that all those three boys had some good sides, but for me, Dean was the one who really loved Rory.

• em says:

I think all of them really loved Rory,but Logan and Jess seemed to really change for the better in the last couple of years. Jess wasn’t an *ss when in came back in season 6 and Logan wasn’t as selfish once he graduated and had to face the real world. I liked Dean at one point, but cheating on your wife kind of knocks you down in my book. Rory wasn’t off the hook, but at least she got a few years onscreen to redeem herself. Maybe that is love,but the fact that Dean married a woman he didn’t really love and then proceeded to cheat on her is a lot worse to me than anything Jess or Logan ever did. But I’ll stop there because this is fabulous news about a potential VM movie!

• Sara says:

Dean was an insecure, controlling jerk.

• Eric says:

I agree Liz, Dean was perfect!!!

• Josh says:

I want Rory to get a grown up Logan…or maybe you just spends time on her own. I thought it was perfect that Rory ended up by herself. She’s 22 years old, she shouldn’t be getting married. For Rory, her future and her aspirations were such a big part of her, it was great to see her go out there and accomplishing things.

I honestly think that if this Veronica Mars thing works, Gilmore Girls is only next…and it should be even easier. I don’t see how ABC Family or SoapNet isn’t bending over backwards to make a TV movie. It would be a HUGE hit.

• molly says:

How was Dean perfect to you??? In the first three seasons, yes. He was a good guy. Overly clingy and pathetic… but still a good guy. But then he cheated on his wife, and after she dumped him was awful to Rory because he felt guilty about the situation.

Jess on the other hand was a totally horrendous match for her in the early seasons because he was such an immature ass. But when they brought him back more mature and more grown up he had redeemed himself. And unlike Dean he was actually Rory’s intellectual equal.

I liked Logan until he gave Rory the ultimatum. Marry me or we’re done isn’t something that someone who loved her would do. However, in a movie they might be able to redeem his character also.

Dean in the end was unredeemable. Especially as a match for Rory.

• Ally Oop says:

I think Logan and Rory breaking up was a good thing. I would have liked them to be friends for a while. I would actually love for Jesse to come back and give Logan a run for his money. I think Rory was good for both of them in different ways and they were good for her.

• Sara says:

YEA! This is our chance?

• Maris says:

At least with Gilmore Girls we got some kind of closure which didn’t make the cancellation as infuriating as Veronica Mars’

3. What’s next, Firefly?

4. T. says:

They’re forgetting the international fan base ! We’d be happy to chip in more if you make the rewards available internationally, provided that we pay for the shipping costs. Many kickstarter projects do that, you just have to select the reward and add the shipping costs yourself.

• Emily says:

This is my only annoyance. I’m hoping they’ll at least let me get the reward shipped to a friend in America who can send it on!

• mia says:

thats what I’m planning on doing. I’m surprised they didn’t open it up to Canadian shipping – we’re not really foreign. I’m just hoping I can get it shipped to a US friend. And even if they cant, even if I never get my stuff, I’m happy to donate.

• Fido says:

I’m from England and have done the “ask them a question” thing re: adding a bit extra for foreign postage. Fingers crossed.

• Josh says:

Yeah I’m sure they’ll update thinking for the foreign fanbase because I know a bunch of Brits who love this show!

• The first nine reward levels are now available to Kickstarter donors in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

• amusedP says:

I think the DVDs/Blue Rays might have the Region Code 1, which won’t allow it to watch it outside the US/Canada if you don’t have the right dvd player for that :/

• hanne says:

i got everything ready to donate, and then i find out it’s US only :((((
      I want this movie!, i’ve been waiting for it a long long time

• CrazyCris says:

Just what I was going to say! What about those of us on the other side of the pond?! I’m happy to chip in anyway, but not fair! :p

• Teag says:

Agreed. I can’t do it cause I’m in Canada.

5. katrina says:

Wow! This just made my day! Surely they can get $2 mil, even in this economy. We LOVE Veronica Mars! :)

6. Liza180 says:

I’m so in! I’ll pledge! HEre’s hoping we get another trip to Neptune!

7. Lecholls says:

This is the best thing in the history of the universe. I am DONATING!

8. Kristen says:

First off, Enrico killed this. Second, I’m totally donating. This needs to happen!!!

9. Rob says:

Omg omg omg omg omg omg!

10. Josh says:

I donated! Wooo! Keep donating folks!!! Nearly at $100,000 in under an hour. If At least 400,000 fans donate $5 dollars @ Mill would be easy(and given that a lot of fans donated more than that, it should be even easier!)

11. Jiggy says:

Aren’t they all a little old for it… and aren’t Hollywood people supposed to fund these things? That’s why they make the big bucks. But the video is really cute… I just asked for Veronica Mars DVDs for by b-day

12. Misti says:

In less than a day, they already have almost $100K. I think this could happen. ;) (And yes, please take my money, Rob Thomas!)

13. Elyse says:

i’m pledging $35!!! :)

14. Nashila says:

OMG! OMG! OMG! I’m Brazilian and I want to help too. This made my month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about the international fandom?

• Emree says:

Rob tweeted that they are working on getting it set up for the international fanbase can be included in getting the rewards.

15. noa says:

seems like they only want money from Americans. none of the rewards ship outside the US. ugh.

16. This is cool..love to see Neptune back on the big screen

17. Briana says:

This is just the best thing ever. I already pledged! Can’t wait. I hope it works out! I need some Jason Dohring in my life again! :)

18. SK says:

Wouldn’t KB be hugely pregnant during their supposed time frame? Then again, she’s not pregnant in this video…

I can’t believe how much they’ve already raised!

19. DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

International funds could cause quite a bit of extra work in the accounting and taxation department :P That’s my guess as to why international rewards aren’t up there. Just a guess though!

20. Daisy says:

Shut up and take my money, Veronica Mars!

21. I give it a day before they reach a million.

22. Tina B. says:

OMG! I am so excited! Gotta go donate! Love you marshmallows!

23. Sam says:

i’m crying inside omg. Totally doing this!!

24. Shari says:

Just donated $35!!! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!

and selfishly, as a shipper, I pray Jason Dohring comes back so LoVe lives!

• Josh says:

I think it’s safe to say he’ll be back. I hope Wallace and Mac come back. They’re more important for me. I love Logan but I felt season 3 was bit too LoVe centric…I always sort of like Veronica a solo girl with Logan as her love interest(not boyfriend)…

• Kaalyn says:

As much as I love the entire cast, there were only ever really three elements that this show NEEDED to continue. Veronica, Keith and Logan.

I hope they get everyone back, though. Safe to say everyone in that video will be in the movie.

• ABBY says:

Jason Dohring is in the video on the donation page along with Kristen Bell, Ryan Hansen (Dick) and Enrico Colantoni (Keith) so I would guess those four are in.

25. Eli says:

I’m not even a huge fan of this show and this is still the coolest thing ever.
    SPREAD THE WORD PEOPLE!

• GG says:

I agree. Never watched VM and am only familiar with KB’s work on Heroes and now House of Lies, but I absolutely love that the fans are so excited about this. It’s also awesome that this is even a possibility.

26. Mikael says:

WOW this is excellent news. I will definitely donate. I was so disappointed with how CW treated the show and how it ended. You can tell that the new network interfered with what they had planned for season 3 because they quickly dropped that story and went into the smaller self-contained mysteries, with a very unsatisfying finale. This movie DESERVES to be made.

27. d01 says:

I pledged!! I can’t wait for this to happen! help, people!!

28. Elyse says:

oh and FYI with this news i figured i should buy the seasons on DVD… i found season 1 on amazon for $11 and season 2 on amazon for $12. season 3 was a little more at $33 but i think its worth it!

29. Montie says:

Since April 12 is the window Kristen Bell has open, I’m guessing that baby is due any day now. They must have filmed this months ago.

30. Tedi says:

THIS HAS MADE MY WEEK! I’m in the Caribbean though, I hope they’ll gimme access! Oh happy day :D

31. abbyjo says:

i’m nearly in tears from laughing at this video and excitement about this project! i’ve missed LoVe and Neptune and the whole gang so much! too much happy – can’t contain myself! AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

32. Don says:

This is awesome!! I never watched the show, but heard good things about it. I bought the DVD’s, but never got to them. The DVD’s are in my storage unit in LA, so I started to DVR the shows on SOAP Network and it is great!! I love this intro video. I will definitely contribute. Such a worthy project.

33. K. says:

I loved this, it shows how great they are together. Please everyone help raise enough money! Also KB and Jason are still hot together. Donate!!!

34. Win says:

best news of the year!

35. ABBY says:

I pledged $35 maybe would have went higher but I’m not in the US so get none of the rewards for donating anyway.
    But wow I hope this happens and that everybody from the series gets on board, it will be so awesome.

• Fido says:

maybe if enough people from outside the US tell them “I would have given more but all the rewards are US only” then they’ll add in some for us foreign people. :)

36. Babar Suhail says:

People are donating thousands of dollars for the rewards. Wow!

37. The video was filmed over a year ago which explains why Kristen isn’t yet pregnant. She’s due very soon so it sounds like filming would start a couple months after she gives birth. This made me so happy I’m crying into my breakfast. To see how easily Jason slipped back into being Logan brought my LoVe shipping heart such joy.

38. hello says:

Pledged $25. Of course since i am not from the US i am not getting any of the incentives, that should say how much i want this movie

39. Allison P says:

I’ve never even seen the show and I think this is so cool!

40. Mj says:

Can tvline leave this up at the top of the page until the deadline just in case someone stumbles upon it later pleaseee oh please

41. Kathleen Blankenship says:

I just entered my pledge! But unfortunately, unlike Michael, I cannot afford a speaking line! LOL!

42. Emily says:

I love this! Too bad I live in Canada and won’t receive any of the goodies when I pledge.

43. RyanC says:

I’m very impressed by how quickly this kickstarter is making money! Shame people from outside the US can’t contribute though.

44. Nicole says:

I didn’t even finish reading this before I went and donated. So exciting!! It’s gone up by $100k in less than an hour.

45. Jared says:

I was never a huge fan of Veronica Mars but I blame that solely on how the CW treated the show and not because of the quality of the story or actors involved. With that said I just donated $150 to help get the film made. I’m all for passion projects and this seems like the perfect one to get involved with. Hopefully with fan support they reach that 2million budget.

46. Amanda M. says:

As extremely ecstatic I am about this news, isn’t she due in a couple of months? It just seems that filming may start shortly after the baby is born..She’s going to be a new mom, I would just be worried that she is going to be exhausted and overwhelmed with her newfound motherhood and having to work long days. But she’s a pro, I’m sure she’ll knock it out of the park.

47. tracy robinson says:

Ive pledged, I hate that this story was never finished!!!! O happy day if they make the goal!

48. Drew says: