Veronica Mars Movie Meets Fundraising Goal - Check Out Six Possible Big-Screen Plots

Veronica Mars Movie Gets FundraisingNo offense to Mars Investigations’ canine mascot, but Veronica Mars fans on Wednesday provided the real backup, pledging — in just over 10 hours, and with an average donation of $63 — the $2 million necessary to start production on a film version of the defunct CW series.

RELATED | 25 Shows You Want Remade or Revived Right Now!

Now that the project is officially a go and earmarked for an early 2014 release, here are a few plot suggestions we wouldn’t mind seeing play out on the big screen. A LoVe reunion? Deputy Leo? Wallace? We’ve included it all.

Click through the gallery below to find ideas that Rob ThomasKristen Bell and everyone else involved in the venture should feel free to explore (in exchange for a Team TVLine producer credit, of course).

What adventures would you like to see Veronica have on the silver screen? Sound off in the comments!

1. Elyse says:

yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully I get my seasons from Amazon soon!

2. Leigh says:

I watched it tick over into the $2 million range. It was better than a New Year’s Eve countdown!! Yay!!!!!

3. THEO says:

Project: Veronica Mars Movie Status: FUNDED!

• Paul Jaekel says:

Well done Veronica Mars fans! Next up a Heroes Movie Kickstarter! Tim Kring make it happen!

• Elz says:

Thanks but no thanks. Kring RUINED Heroes, I hope he never touches the project again. In a perfect world I would agree with you, but I don’t trust him with the material.

• tvfan says:

I didn,t even get a chance to contribute. I thought I had a day or two. WOW! that was fast!

• Solène says:

You can still contribute! They didn’t stop at 2 million, even if a lot of people think it! Even a 1$ donation counts, guys, help make an even better movie!

4. CharlieS says:

good job fans now I’ve got an excuse to check the series out!!

5. Kirk says:

A real shame that international fans couldn’t contribute as most of the prizes wouldn’t be shipped out overseas

• Elyse says:

I forget which but either Kristen Bell or Rob Thomas said on twitter how they are trying to work it out so the international fans can participate too!

• Jen says:

International fans can (and did) contribute, I don’t need a t-shirt or a pdf script. If they allow international fans to get the DVD then I’ll increase my donation, or I’ll just buy it when it’s released. Either way they get my support.

• mia says:

I still donated even though I’m Canadian. I’m hoping I can have my swag mailed to a friend in the US (who will forward it on to me), but honestly if I dont get it I’m okay with that. The movie is getting made, thats all that matters.

• Tina B. says:

Ditto Mia, donated from Canada, so happy now!

• mia says:

woot! Canucks for Mars!!!

• Col says:

Yeah I did a similar thing I am in Australia Donated (Have a friend in USA to collect the goodies) but even it that falls through I am just happy to get VM back even just for a movie… BTW watched it click over to 2 million yesterday while working (oops) it was very exciting

• The first nine reward levels are now available to Kickstarter donors in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

6. Tonya says:

We did it! We did it! We did it!

7. katrina says:

Less than 10 hours! Take that Warner Brothers!

8. Teag says:

Wow. This is insane. This will pave the way for other cancelled-TV show movies.

Jericho? Perhaps?

9. Kristen says:

I’m so excited! It’s happening!!! I’m ready to hit the $5 mil mark and have some epic car chases and way more brooding! ;)

10. flutiefan says:

don’t kill off Weevil!

11. Monica says:

First time to ever donate to Kick Starter-and what a worthy project! All I ask is that Veronica and Logan live happily ever after. Is that possible in Veronica Mars land???

12. Liz says:

It’s done people!! Now about that Gilmore Girls movie…

• mohammad says:

Could never happen cause Lauren/Alexis are annoyingly unsupportive about it and Amy Sherman Palladino isn’t savvy enough to pull off something like this. Rob’s drive and K. Bell’s involvement and passion helped make this a reality.

• Liz says:

It’s true. I remember an interview of Lauren & Alexis saying they didn’t miss Stars hollow… It’s sad that they’re not more enthusiastic, like Kristen is for VM.

• Billy says:

Except Lauren tweeted to Kristen today that she felt stupid for not thinking about doing a Kickstarter for a GG movie first (and that’s the second time she’s tweeted about a GG movie this week or so) so is not implausible that it might happen

• Aimee says:

Oh, My world would just unmake itself and remake itself if I Gilmore Girls had a movie. But I guess I will just be happy about the Veronica Mars movie.

• Megan says:

Not totally true but I agree that this has happened because of Rob Thomas, K.Bell and assorted casts support. Gilmore Girls could happen, but Amy S-P would have to push like R Thomas has. Amy S-P has a new baby, bunheads, so maybe a lack of ambition for it now. however LoVe LoVe LoVe both shows and would be stoked if GG could pull this off too. Rob Thomas, my new idol!

• LOLOL says:

Well, they did get 6 seasons, so it’s understandable. They had closure. (I refuse to believe that the 7th season existed.)

• Misty says:

• David4 says:

GG had a decent ending, they knew it was the end. It’s no one’s fault that the last few seasons were unwatchable.

VM had no ended and was screwed about from the CW.

• Liz says:

Or a Roswell movie! That would be so great…

• April says:

Why do you need a GG Movie? Just watch Bunheads…. :)

13. ggny says:

all i know is the whole casted better be coming back. Expect Piz and that new chick i could do without them

14. Asya says:

I’ve never had so much fun watching a countdown <3

15. Mari says:

This is awesome! I’m crying over here! Amazing fandom!!

16. Gilda says:

Keep going guys! We want as big a budget as possible! I am so happy right now!

17. Maureen says:

Fan funded films are the wave of the future!!! There is no limit to the number of cult TV shows can hit the big screen after this. More Firefly, anyone?

• ben says:

Unfortunately, there is a limit. Veronica Mars succeeded because it’s both first and unique in the market. If every film and tv show went in for this, I guarantee that over-saturation would result and soon doom it as an approach. As an exception, it could be fantastic (and possibly work more often than not). As a rule, it would fail.

• Tony says:

I think the only limit would be the passion those involved have to get it done.

• cassey says:

This is very true. And we have to remember that Kristen and Rob first had to get cooperation from WB for the rights. Movies are not made for 2 million dollars (especially ones with this size cast). There would have to be a TON of people (lighting, sound, editing etc) on top of the actors who are doing this on the cheap, or more people pitching in behind the scenes. Not to mention the fact that WB is paying for the advertising. Basically, a lot of went into this becoming a reality that would be (unfortunately) difficult to replicate.

• Megan says:

Sounds Like WB asked for the fans to fund a certain limit ($2 mill +), then they would fund the rest? Also sounds like cast and Rob are working for very little (As K.Bell is now a big name, no way $2 mill budget would fund her normally) Possibly they are also personally funding some, when i use to look around it sounded like K.Bell had/was committed to provide some funding.

• Sal says:

She’s a big name, but her movies haven’t done very well. Other than Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Couples Retreat.

• Doug-H says:

She’s had regular TV work with the currently renewed Showtime show House of Lies and the voiceover work for Gossip Girl…

• keja says:

My understanding is that the fan donations are going towards funding the production. WB is NOT funding the production, they are fitting the bill for marketing and distribution.

• JASon says:

Not neccesarily. If they keep the budget sensible and low (something Hollywood stars don’t do beacause of greed) . Closer to TV budget( not big cinema budget)! Then they could esily fund many small projects and make a handsome profit. WHat people don’t realize is the Star and director’s 20- 30 million dollar pay days are the reason small budget movies can’t be funded!

18. Lily says:

If we raise enough money maybe they could do a whole new season!

19. Donna says:

Yay! Hopes this paves the way for other TV shows that were Cancelled Too Soon, like Firefly & LEGEND OF THE SEEKER!!!!!!

20. I want nuclear submarine, or space, or bollywood dance number at the end :D

21. the girl says:

I am extremely impressed. Fans, you did good (and I say you because I didn’t actually donate any money, but I will be sitting in the middle of a theater at the midnight showing on opening night because I totally love VMars).

22. Sara says:

Keep up the funding, fellow marshmellows! We need more brooding in exotic locations! ;-)

23. Amanda says:

HABEMUS VERONICAM!

24. I hate to say it, but the most compelling plotline would be the murder of Keith Mars. Don’t worry, Enrico Colantoni would still be in the movie plenty thanks to flashbacks and so forth. But that’s a plotline with serious personal stakes for Veronica.

• mia says:

oh gosh, you’re totally right on that one. But I dont ever want to see that happen, despite how good of a movie it would be. And it would rule out any possibility for a sequel. But it would be a very Whedon thing to do lol

• Mark says:

I disagree the most compelling plot line would be if Veronica was going to loose everything she has built for herself since leaving Neptune and to make that a plot line.. So tie-ing in the story of the show and the original characters hence the flashbacks. The death of Duncan Kane or his alter ego —- Duncan’s child arrives at Mars investigations begging for help. As Veronica is now an FBI agent and has sworn never to have committed or broken the law (Kidnapping Meg’s baby to Mexico with Duncan) this now puts her in a bind if anybody finds out who this child is. Brat is being chased by the cult of Meg’s family Church group who in ten years have grown into fanatics wanting Megs baby(Now Young teenage brat).
      The brat has proof of who she/he is and is willing to use it to get the help she needs, so cue Veronica’s return. It also the 10 high school reunion so she enlists some familiar faces for help. Things go from bad to worse as they generally do as Logan finds out V is engaged but they reconnect — (2 possible endings she goes back to original love or stays in Neptune with Logan).

After chasing leads using the gang & Mac etc V wins the day…..
      But this would never be the case as like anything the story has already been written Rob Thomas would not have approached Warner bros and said oh let us do this but by and by we have not got nothing to show you in regards to an actual script get real. so Tvline pull another one …….

• arianeb says:

I know it may be weird, but I would like if they kept away from references to the series as much as possible. Obviously, a few shout outs to the fans would be cool, but what the movie should be about is a gritty detective story starring a feisty sharp tongued blonde female detective who happens to be named Veronica Mars. It should appeal to more than VM fans, if it ever will be a hit. Ideally this could be the launching of a movie series.

25. Jarrod says:

Plot 3 (that involves Veromic’s Mom) sounds like a great synopsis! Plot 5, too, but mostly because I never liked Weevil.
    Not, for the funding in regards to NBC’s Heroes movie…

26. Kristen says:

I pledged $$$ when it was under $3,000 and kept watch all day. I am so EXCITED about this. Made my day!

27. Zachary says:

Who’s up for a Duckman movie?

28. onlyakb says:

hahahah now I wanna watch all of those plots, the then “uncovers a mystery much bigger than she suspected.” =)!!

29. Liza180 says:

I’m so excited and so happy Kristen and Rob still have passion for the show. I sure hope they don’t kill off any of the main characters. I can’t believe we’re getting a new VM installment! Yay!

30. S. from E. now says:

And Warnerbrothers actually thought there weren’t enough people who would be interested in a VM movie!

31. adambramble says:

Gotta re watch all seasons now xD. At least i have at least a year to do so.

32. ddd says:

Reading the kickstart page, I love Rob’s comment/response to “Veronica and Logan must get back together” however, seriously, they NEED to end up together. It was bad enough dealing with their deteriorating relationship in the third season, I need a movie for her to finally admit to her trust issues and just love him forever already!!!!! fjadfsjadjkl how am I going to wait til next year, I want to watch this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ddd says:

also, the kickstart page said the basic outline for the plot. Veronica hasn’t been investigating since we last saw her (ruling out some of the possible plots listed) and it’s the 10 year anniversary for high school. I sort of feel like the only thing that would be strong enough to compel her to come back to Neptune would be the suspicious death of someone she cares about (and we all love) but we are still able to reconnect through similar plot devices used season 1 a la lily.

• Leah says:

Rob has been replying to people’s comments on the kickstarter page?? I had no idea! What are some other things he’s said??

33. Theresa says:

Isn’t the plot going to involve VM’s 10 year high school reunion? There’s so many things they can do with that in terms of mysteries that need to be solved, and it’s the perfect excuse to bring back a lot of old cast members without it being forced. I AM SO EXCITED!

34. Joe says:

Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!! Chuck!!!
    Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!! Movie!!!

• Diva says:

This!
      The series finale cannot be the true end of Chuck.
      Also Fringe Movie! Had a more fulfilling ending than Chuck but I could definitely see a movie being made.

• Joe says:

I loved the series finale!!! I thought it was great!!! However, more Chuck is more Chuck, and I need that in my life!!!

• kallie says:

THIS!!! CHUCK YES! FRINGE HELL YES!!! CAN I PLEAD TO TV SERIES LONG GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN ROSWELL? ( I CAN DREAM LOL) BUT I CAN LIVE WITH VM YES YES YES!!!!

• Mark says:

Zach Levi commented on his twitter page along with Ryan McPartlin with regards to this last night.
          1st, congrats to @IMKristenBell & @RobThomas for helping move entertainment a little closer in the direction I’ve always hoped it would go…
          2nd, to you Chucksters, believe that this news only bolsters my faith that I can help bring you a #ChuckMovie. Be patient. Stay tuned.

Check it out Ryan McPartlin Mr Awesome also quoted this a little later

Ryan McPartlin ‏@RyanMcPartlin
          To Chuck fans that thought I was messing w/ their hearts, if @ZacharyLevi, @JoshSchwartz76 & Fedak pull 2gether a #ChuckMovie…I’m all in!

• Shelley says:

I’m in!

• Eric says:

Yes! Chuck!

• ben says:

Honestly, I’d be perfectly happy with Chuck as it is without having a movie. But I’d take a movie provided that Sarah got her memories back, and there were happy endings for Chuck/Sarah, Morgan/Alex and Casey/Gertrude… and perhaps a bit less of everyone living in completely different places from each other in the end.

35. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

This is an astounding milestone for film.

36. Louis says:

so freaking happy this movie is finally being made. i was having a horrible day and this really made up for it. i really wanted to pledge the amount for the red carpet premeire but all i could afford right now was the 200 rewards thing. at least i get an autographed movie poster:-)

37. JASon says:

I would have pledged but they seem to be gouging people. I would have pledged $14 for a movie ticket or $20 for a DVD. But who wants an overpriced Pdf of a script, Tshirt or movie poster. But obviously they are greedy and still want to make money on the DVD after charging for stuff we would have never bought.

• chris says:

You aren’t paying for the reward. You’re paying for the movie to get made, The rewards are incentives or “thank yous” for donating. If you get a movie ticket at $14 or a DVD at $20 there’d be nothing left to go into the making of the movie.

• Naomi says:

The movie tickets are limited, they can’t exactly hand them out to everyone that pledges $15. Anyway the whole point is to encourage fans to donate as much as possible so that the film can have a bigger budget, not for use all the money to go to DVDs for the fans

• ABBY says:

They want to make a movie with that money so the rewards are bound to be worth less than the $ you are spending as they need to make a substantial profit or no movie. And it’s not “greedy” for them to actually want the movie to make a little cash, if it doesn’t this whole thing would be a massive flop. Plus if the $10-20 rewards were movie tickets and DVDs then WB would unlikley be agreeing to distribute when most people who want to see it already paid for these thing in pre-production.

38. CRC says:

YES! I hope this starts a trend for fan favorites to get their due on the big screen. This is a pretty incredible achievement.

39. Kaycee says:

Right … now, BUFFY MOVIE!

40. Jared says:

The CW must be sick hearing this news. The network can’t even get 2 million people to watch there shows.lol

41. Josh says:

Hasn’t it been confirmed that this involves a high school reunion?

42. mia says:

You want to kill off Weevil!?!!!? Maybe at the end of the movie, but not the start. I love Weevil.
    And I dont want Dick caught up in a sexual assault story. They did that with his brother and it would just feel like rehashing old territory.

43. David4 says:

I wet my pants.

I like all the ideas!

44. Kimberly and Andy, did you not read the Kickstarter page?:

45. Fabe says:

Would The CW at all be involved in this since they were the TV Network the last season was on?

• Drew says:

While it’s possible that a deal with the network could get the project a little more funding, it’s not really necessary. The studio holds the rights to the show and sells broadcast rights to the network. This is why some shows end up moving to new networks after their contract with the original network expires. Warner Bros. is the studio that owns Veronica Mars, which is what held up production for this long.

46. Gillian says:

How awesome is it that KB, JD & cast are up for this? Most forget the show that launched their careers. Class acts each & every one. Excited for the movie.

47. RedGrace says:

Wow, all those storylines suck. And you guys obviously didn’t read the Kickstarter page. Rob already described what the movie will be about — and it’s better than all of those suggestions: “Life has taken Veronica away from Neptune. In the years since spoiling Keith’s chances to be reelected sheriff, Veronica hasn’t taken a case. But something big is about to bring her back home and back to her calling. My goal is to include as many of your favorite characters as possible. It is, after all, time for Veronica’s 10-year high school reunion.”

48. Lindsey says:

Firefly? Check. Arrested Development? Check. Veronica Mars? Check. Chuck? Next up… (I hope! It’s about the only favorite show of mine that I really want to have a movie/continuation that doesn’t have one yet.)

49. Nat says:

See I just want Veronica, Logan, Wallace, Weevil and maybe Mac and Keith. I like the two dead mom stories but for God’s sake no more sexual assault stories. Kristen can’t pass for a high schooler any more so the FBI plot doesn’t work anymore and the Mars under attack idea just plain doesn’t make any sense. I kind of like the Hospital story but still don’t like the idea of killing off Weevil.

• Alia says:

My required characters, I think, are Veronica, Logan, Keith, Wallace, Mac, and Dick (because I really kind of want Mac and Dick to end up together, too). But I’d watch it even if it was just Veronica in a room by herself, solving the mystery of who ate the last bear claw.

• Maris says:

I think it’s safe to assume the people from the campaign video will all be in the movie, the only one that would make me really depressed not being there would be Wallace! The Veronica/Wallace friendship is one of the best friendships ever, so I couldn’t imagine him not being on the movie. Mac would be a great plus though.

• David4 says:

Mac and Dick are not needed, but very welcomed.

Wallace better be in the movie, even if just for a little bit.

• shawn00m says:

I agree, you can’t do the show with out her BFF. I also really loved the father – daughter dynamic and would love to see that again. So I don’t think Keith is a “maybe” but a must. I’d really like to see them working together on a case.

50. nickrnz says: