NBC Moves Struggling Smash to Saturdays, Relocates Go On, Plus Other Schedule Changes

Get More: News, Scheduling News

smash season 2Saturday night’s all right for… burnoffs?

NBC is moving its ratings-challenged musical Smash from its Tuesday timeslot, with plans to air the remainder of the show’s 17-episode Season 2 on Saturdays at 9/8c, beginning April 6.

Smash opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. It slipped further in Week 2, stabilized in Week 3, and most recently ticked up a hair to 2.9 million viewers and a 0.9 rating.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

In addition to relocating Smash, NBC also announced:

* The new dating series Ready for Love — which the Peacock reportedly has very high hopes for — will air Tuesdays from 9 to 11, leading out of The Voice, starting April 9. (Originally the newbie was set for a Sunday berth.)

* Go On, NBC’s strongest freshman comedy, is moving to Thursdays at 9:30 pm effective April 4; the season finale airs April 11.

* The New Normal will air a one-hour season finale on Tuesday, April 2, from 9 to 10 pm.

* Whitney will air a one-hour season finale on Wednesday, March 27.

* And beginning April 14 and through the end of May, Celebrity Apprentice will expand to two hours.

Comments (163)

• I think moving Go On to Thursday at 9:30 will be worse for this show. I enjoy it….but the ratings on Thursday are hard enough with all the great shows on CBS and ABC. Not a good decision…but yet NBC seems to never make good decisions when it comes to their TV shows which is exactly why I tell myself never to watch anything else on NBC. But Go On and Matthew Perry got to me. Hoping this move doesn’t destroy the show.

Comment by Mary – March 13, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why would they want to put it up against Glee, Greys and POI?

Comment by Elyse – March 13, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and beauty and the beast… well this is it’s nail in the coffin for me. grey’s and beauty and the beast already own this hour. i havent loved this show in awhile anyway. BYE BYE!!

Comment by Danielle H. – March 13, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They are attempting a counter-programing against the aging shows and the new one. Let’s see if it works. I doubt it.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 13, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, it’ll won’t be airing against another half-hour comedy, so this might not be so bad.

Comment by Drewer – March 13, 2013 04:26 PM PDT
        • NBC desperately needs a situation comedy that is filmed in a studio (ala Big Bang Theory, Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers, etc…). There is room on television for a scripted comedy show that isn’t a “mockamentary” or “Scrubs-like” (no audience) in nature. I can think of a hundred scenarios that would be interesting. Sadly, NBC cannot come up with anything except ways to shoot itself in the leg or offend others.

Comment by Naye Ayala – April 1, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You seem to misunderstand the reason why it moved. They’re testing the waters to see if Go On will work on Thursdays to fit in with their comedy block of Community and P&R, meaning (assuming the ratings don’t plummet) that Go On will be renewed for next season.

Comment by kavyn – March 13, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, Kavyn – you are correct. NBC needs to begin to test out shows that are on the bubble – shows that they are considering bringing back next fall, but in a new time slot. Go On is one of those shows. It would have been nice to keep Go On in the Tuesday slot following the return of Voice, but I think NBC will move Go On to Thursdays anyway if they bring it back next fall, so why not try it out now?

Plus, they’ve got Courtney for a guest arc – this move makes sense. They need to do it. The expectations for Go On at 9:30 will not be huge – they just need to improve on 1600 Penn numbers, which is very do-able, particularly since Office should bring in decent numbers in April/May as the show nears its finale.

NBC needs to reload for this fall on Thursdays. P&R is coming back, they’ve got the Michael J Fox series, probably for 8pm. Then P&R perhaps for 9pm, and if Go On can catch hold now, they’ve got another show, either for 9 or 9:30 following P&R next fall. They’ve got to start putting the pieces together. The other networks will be making changes of the fall as well. Glee may move to 8pm, Greys? PoI? Believe me, changes are coming, NBC needs to make counter-moves in anticipation of these other network changes.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 13, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NBC needs to renew Community. Sure, its ratings aren’t great, but it does better than any show they could air opposite Big Bang Theory.

Comment by Sg. Grant – March 13, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man I already have a heavy DVR hour on Thursdays 9-10pm. Persons of interest,grey’s anatomy,my swamp buddies on history channel,now go on. Tuesday and Thursdays r my biggest nights for tv watching,I i have to add another series to schedule. Now I’ll have to get DVR that can record 6channels, thanks NBC.

Comment by cookie – March 13, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well you could always put the History show as a lower priority. All those shows get rerun a ton of times throughout the week, so it could easily record up a later showing. :)

Comment by Grace – March 13, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For real NBC? Do you want Go On to croak against everything else on a THURSDAY? If I have to choose between Greys/Glee or Go On….I guess Mathew Perry can go on.

Comment by Nora – March 13, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think Glee will be much competition, people are starting to get sick of the show but running against Grey’s and whatever’s on CBS is pretty dumb.

I’ve noticed the shows gotten way funnier the past couple episodes, I hope others take notice. I could see this show becoming even better in season 2.

Comment by Elly – March 13, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • **Running them against Grey’s and what’s ever on cbs***

Comment by Elly – March 13, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do you really think that POI is a pretty dumb show or are you joking?

Comment by Douglas from Brazil – March 13, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Read again. Elly didn’t say POI is dumb. Moving Go On to Thursdays when it will have to compete against ABC and CBS IS dumb. That’s what she’s saying…

Comment by Ana – March 13, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Good one!

Comment by Ana – March 13, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC may as well announce now that they are canceling the show. That is what is almost guaranteed when they move a show to Saturday nights! Ugh! I really love this show too!

Comment by Sandra – March 13, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I’m so upset! Saturday night is the kiss of death. Well, at least we’ve got time to start preparing for the end. šŸ˜ž

Comment by Dee Dee – March 13, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well dang…I’m only ok with this if it definitely means Parenthood is returning and Smash not coming returning is somehow connected to this… :(

Comment by Robin – March 13, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yea I completely agree sad to see Smash go but if it means a definite FULL season of parenthood, I can embrace it lol

Comment by katie – March 17, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch. Poor Smash. :( It’s so much better this season than last and it’s been slowly ticking up… I guess that’s not enough. Siiiigh.

Comment by Mellie – March 13, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Programing killed the show. But it did better in timeshifting anyway so who knows.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 13, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better this season? What show are you watching. This season stinks so bad, I cut it from my DVR midway thru the last episode.

Comment by Alienate – March 14, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen! I loved “Smash” last season–the story of bringing a muscial about Marilyn to Broadway. Great songs, great story, interesting characters. This season it’s all about our leading lady sniffing after some bratty, narcissistic songrwiter who has a bunch of disjointed songs with no book. It makes no sense, and who cares what happens to this obnoxious guy? The idiots who came up with this plot deserve cancellation..

Comment by sundance – March 19, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Farewell, Smash. Perhaps your few fans can do something via Kickstarter, like Veronica Mars.

Comment by Miffy – March 13, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Smash so much, it’s for people who are fascinates by the makings of a Broadway show, which doesn’t interest tons of people. None of my friends watch it but I have seen many of the actors live on Broadway and they are so amazing, this kills me! :(

Comment by Margo319 – March 13, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe that was part of the problem, too much focus of the makings of a Broadway show, but I don’t know. I love Smash. We see Broadway plays whenever we are in NYC (which is every chance we get). I don’t know that they really meant for it to be only for people who are fascinated by the makings of a Broadway show, because like you say that would have ruled out too many people. I don’t care about the behind-the-scenes aspects of country music, but Nashville is one of my very favorite shows now. I can’t put my finger on it, but Smash was lacking in something that must have been important.

Comment by april-ann – March 13, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wanted to like Smash because I love Broadway shows and musical tv shows, but after half a season last year I got bored with it and the episodes piled up on my DVR. I tried watching them before this season started and I realized that I was falling asleep or becoming preoccupied with playing Words With Friends when the episodes were on. I deleted the remaining episodes and removed the show from the DVR. I like Nashville too even though I’m not particularly fond of country music. I think the difference for me was that the characters in Nashville were more engaging. Also I find the Marilyn Monroe obsession tedius and overplayed already. I think Smash should have done an entirely story for the musical.

Comment by Mala Monkles (@MalaMonkles) – March 13, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s what I hear. People got bored by it, and real quick. Too bad because it was (and still is…is there any hope?) a good show. But I don’t blame people for abandoning it because alot of times it bored me as well and I too found myself wandering with that almighty remote. We need a really great nighttime network soap. Need I remind people that back in the day Friday night was “the” night for the most popular soaps? It’s high time for it. I double-dog-dare-ya, networks.

Comment by april-ann – March 13, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the real problem is that the show’s writing is only good when focusing on the making a musical story lines. I think if they had written something dynamic for the personal story lines this show could have been amazing. That is what non-theater people would have connected with and it would have gotten the ratings they needed. The personal story lines are contrived, trite and labored and no amount of beautiful actors can make them less painful. Julia’s ridiculous infidelity story, Dev’s pathetic jealousy story, Ivy’s sleeping with the director story and Tom’s scattered attempts at a love life story are all awkward sterotypes of the artistic world. There are ways to write those arcs without it being painful but they certainly aren’t managing it. The only good personal story line was Eileen and Nick and they speared that by having Jerry get Nick busted. This season has been even worse. Derek and Ivy as some weird sort of platonic friends, Karen mooning over a drug addicted borderline sociopathic jerk, Julia flirting with a guy who could potentially ruin her career, Eileen and Jerry working together and Tom’s boyfriend shipping out and making him look like some lame uncle figure to the rest of the cast. I litereally call him Uncle Tom to the rescue.
      The stuff about making a show is the only decent plot they have so that is what people tend to remember and even that is going to be ruined but the utter un-reality of Karen leaving Bombshell to work on Hit List with Derek. AS IF! I know that Karen isn’t the brightest bulb in the box but even she wouldn’t be stupid enough to throw away a career making headline to work on a tiny, really really rough piece of work. Also, the music this season has taken a turn for the worse.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – March 14, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, @Lauren Kirsch, leaving a big show for a workshop isn’t entirely implausible. Lea Michele (back when no one knew who she was) was working on Spring Awakening for six years, throughout all of its phases (rough reading, small workshops, big workshops, off broadway run, & ultimately Brodway). However… Right when it made it to the Atlantic, she got cast as Eponine in the Broadway revival of Les Mis. That was a GUARANTEED career maker for her, but she turned down the role in favor of sticking with an as yet unknown musical based on a historically controversial play, with unconventional music (more pop than Broadway). So while it’s not the same story as the Karen/Hit List storyline, it’s close enough to not make me dismiss it entirely.

Comment by gowenphotography – April 7, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually when the show focuses on the creation of a potential Broadway hit, it is really good. But the characters are terrible. There is nobody remotely likeable. Last year Debra Messing’s character was unpleasant but this year they have turned her into something that makes it hard to watch. I never liked Lev last year but at least understood the conflict between his falling star in politics and Karen’s rising star on Broadway. Replacing the love interest with Jimmy is incongruent with her character. He comes across as a hot tempered, self centered, self destructive nitwit. They wanted Jennifer Hudson for the star power but they have done nothing to give her a place in the ensemble cast. They call upon her to sing a show stopper but do not place it in context of the story. A good story requires good character development and alas that has not happened.

Comment by chistosa – March 14, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Just another example of what’s happening to us as a people. The more shallow, the better the ratings!
      We finally had something to enjoy with a little depth. Pitiful.

Comment by Beeb – March 22, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is really dumb… they can move ‘Go On’ to thursdays, but next season. why not just let the last two episodes air on tuesdays? and they cant say “oh, well airing Go On after the office will help the show.” because airing after the office usually ends in cancellation.

Comment by eddie – March 13, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the other hand, ‘only for two episodes’ means that its very unlikely to affect its renewal chances. Perhaps its better that they put two episodes there now and see if it works on Thursdays… and then NOT schedule it there next season.

Comment by ben – March 13, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Moving Go On for two episodes is stupid. I really enjoy this show. I hope NBC doesn’t kill it. As it is, I watch POI, DVR Greys, and catch Glee On Demand. I can’t handle anything else Thursdays at 9pm. Oy vey!!! And as for Smash, it’s terrible for the show that they are moving it to Saturdays, BUT I am glad that the fans (myself included) will get to see the rest of this season. I agree with the other poster, Smash isn’t for everyone. But I happen to love Broadway, so I enjoy it.

Comment by Melanie – March 13, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe Commnity and Parks and Rec have aired in the 9:30 timeslot before

Comment by powerturtle90sdudemon – March 13, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow… well, this is a worst case scenario for all the shows involved. Sadly after pilot season too. The worst part about it is that NBC essentially murdered Smash this season. THey could at least give it a Friday slot.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 13, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC wouldn’t know a good thing if it jumped up and bit it in the CEO’s “nose”. They have pushed useless pilots, bad primetime news and half-”nosed” comedies on us for years, and somehow they expect us to watch! And clearly they aren’t listening to the audience! If they were SMASH would get an infusion of better writers and have a long shelf life; people want it to be even better so it can stick around. But it’s reasonably intelligent, so that isn’t going to happen. We’re stuck with shallow, mindless junk! Thanks, NBC, for nothing!

Comment by puterdiva – May 8, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pray for Community…

Comment by J.W. – March 13, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Six seasons and a movie.

Comment by Pepper – March 13, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Five seasons and a Kickstarter campaign.

Comment by Sg. Grant – March 13, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC really squandered its potential this season, but at least The Voice is coming back.

Comment by Guy – March 13, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What! Why the last two episodes on Thursdays I hope this isn’t the end for GO ON I love this show its my new favorite of the season it’s funny and heart warming all in one episode

Comment by girlinmd – March 13, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess is that they want to test drive the show at that timeslot to see if they should keep it there for next seasonā€¦if they decide to renew it.

Comment by Guy – March 13, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think moving Go ON to Thursday’s is a clear sign the show will be renewed next season. NBC realized Tuesday’s are a lost cause, leaving Go ON there would kill the show. However, airing it after new Office episodes, NBC’s highest rated comedy, and with the guest spot with Courtney Cox, NBC is trying to get the best possible audience for the show. I could see a pairing it with Parks and Rec, Community, and a new Comedy next season for a two hour comedy block, somewhere in the schedule.

Comment by Stephen – March 13, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Voice is coming back so…

Airing on Tuesdays after the Voice would have given it it’s biggest possible audience. Moving behind the Office seems like to me it’s a sign that NBC has more confidence in Ready for Love than Go On.

Comment by Leondre – March 13, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the office is on its way out and doing not so well ratings wise. airing go ons last two episodes after the voice would be a much better idea.

Comment by eddie – March 13, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww… I know Smash has its problems, but I really like it. I love the focus on Broadway and some of my favorite scenes are of them just rehearsing the musical. It’s a shame this show couldn’t find more viewers.

Comment by sdexta – March 13, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sad about Smash. This show had such potential
      It started off strong. Dragged then picked up again for the finale last season. This season has just been a hot mess. It lost its’ magic in part because the songs are no longer exceptional. T Also, the writing is just terrible. The focus hasn’t been on the characters that worked but on bringing new people in who just aren’t likeable. They squandered the Derek/Karen chemistry and all but neutered the character of Ivy. Such a shame. We’ll always have the Bombshell soundtrack, though. Hopefully, Jack Davenport will find something else. Love having him in a weekly series! He played Derek to perfection.

Comment by Gillian – March 13, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • started off as a great program with talented singers and dancers giving insight into what creating a broadway show is all about, but got hungup on some very unappealing characters, eg, who would believe that guys (with $) would be interested in hitting on Angelica Huston ??????, unbelievable…also too much Debra Messing. Those two spoiled it for me.

Comment by joe – April 10, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The whole show was a mess…these people forgot they were on the small screen…they thought they were doing a high school play! Overacting, overly dramatic, trying to steal each others’ thunder by ridiculous reactions and extreme facial expressions. Messing was the most guilty, followed by the little boy playing Jimmy…what a miscast! Let Nashville show them how to do it.

Comment by Nikkidiva – April 30, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC, flying monkeys at the controls.

Comment by prd9601 – March 13, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Smash! Great show. Please save it!!!!!

Comment by Randy – March 13, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you on this. PLEASE SAVE SMASH!! Great show.

Comment by Robinson – April 5, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…..Please save Smash!

Comment by Nikki – April 8, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark my words, you’ll see a very different NBC next season. It’s gonna be a brand new line up and all that will remain is The Voice and SVU and one or two comedies.

Comment by Rob – March 13, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m betting Chicago Fire and Revolution, if it survives this hiatus, will be there.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant to add Chicago Fire but I haven’t watched it yet so it’s not on my radar. Totally forgot about Revolution. But I do think their comedy slate will be virtually all new as evidenced by the amount of comedy pilots they ordered.

Comment by Rob – March 13, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep, you guys are right on the button. NBC will clean house in May Up Fronts – I think all that will make the Fall’13 cut will be Voice, Revolution, P&R, SVU, Chicago Fire, Grimm, NFL Sunday Night Football and Parenthood – and probably Go On and perhaps Community. NBC will be bringing in a large number of new shows this fall. Make or break time for NBC.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 13, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Aw yes! How could I forget Grimm!

Comment by Wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 07:57 PM PDT
          • @Nero – Although I agree with you that that is what they should do, I doubt they have the balls to be that extreme. They don’t have enough nights that way that they can, and I use this term laughingly, bank on. Even adding in Biggest Loser. I think if anything we will see more renewals than we should or expect to have things in the can for just in case. You also forgot to include Ready for Love and Hannibal since they will be such break out… OK sorry even I a not that mean.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 14, 2013 06:27 AM PDT
          • Throw in Biggest Loser. It’s been the highest rated show this Spring, hovering around 2.0-2.2. Celebrity Apprentice probably makes the cut too. Also, Hannibal is getting a good bit of promotion, so it could be a hit.

Comment by Stew – March 14, 2013 07:07 AM PDT
  • Does this mean community actually has a chance? I don’t like Whitney. And the new normal is not that great either… NBC has to renew some of his sitcoms and besides the obvious park and Rec , I hope it’s go on and community !

Comment by Para – March 13, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is moving Go On to Thursdays with the episode where Courteney Cox guest stars if I’m not wrong. It’s a bold move, but they may play on people’s nostalgia with the promos. A Friends reunion on a Thursday night? I hope people are gonna be there for that.

Comment by GingerTaylah – March 13, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, NBC needs some shows next year, and Courtney Cox/ Friends connection can only help the show,plus the Office is the highest rated comedy in the NBC arsenal.

Comment by Stephen – March 13, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was witty and fun GingerTaylah! Of course “I’ll be there for you”, Friends reunion on a Thursday night!

Comment by april-ann – March 13, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have kept Chuck!

Comment by Jamey – March 13, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just grateful to know we’ll be able to see the rest of this season of Smash.

Comment by Bobbi – March 13, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash is officially dead and Go On will get lost on Thursdays with Greys..POI..Glee..BATB.

Comment by Jade – March 13, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It might be okay. Greys, POI, Glee, and BATB all have fans, but they may or may not be the same type of fans that watch sitcoms. Plus like others have said, with several of NBC’s current Thursday shows ending this year, they are likely looking for options to have a least a couple veteran shows in next fall’s line up. I wish the show luck. I personally haven’t watched Grey’s in forever.

Comment by WingsStef – March 13, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I’m willing to bet that at least two, maybe three of the shows you noted for Thursday 9pm will *NOT* be in that time slot this fall. Glee to Thursday 8pm (for fall until Idol in January), BATB for certain will not be back at 9pm – ‘The Originals’ will be in that slot for CW. BATB to Tuesday at 8pm. PoI? Thursday at 10pm, with 2.5 Men moving into 9pm slot. Greys? We’ll see where Scandal is located in the fall.

Thus, no need for folks to worry too much about overloading their DVRs on Thursdays at 9pm for very long. There will be a whole new batch of shows there this fall to reconsider for DVR programming.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 13, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMUSHED! Finally. It is about time after those horrific ratings in an easy timeslot.

Comment by Chicago Dan – March 13, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Perry just isn’t funny. Sure his comedies start strong but by mid season they start to tank..hard. I enjoy Matthew Perry in more dramatic roles like his guest spot on The Good Wife.

Comment by Jared – March 13, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boo! I think Matthew Perry is very funny!

Comment by Sheila – March 13, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Revolution to tank when it returns. That hiatus was by far the dumbest scheduling move by ANY network.

Comment by Jared – March 13, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It won’t tank when it returns, it will tank when they inevitably move it from the Voice.

Comment by Mike – March 13, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it will tank. It will be leading out of The Voice’s premiere. Also, it’s had a lot of promo, and NBC has put all of Season 1′s first half’s episodes online to encourage new viewers to catch up.

Comment by Stew – March 14, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Also I have faith in Kripke and after reading his latest interview where he stated that they listened to the fans and made some changes based on our complaints, Charlie being the biggest one :-) I’m getting excited for March 25th.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 14, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just realized I only watch Today and Nightly News on NBC. Nothing has appealed to me on that network in years. Sad.

Comment by Mizz O – March 13, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Smash. And hasn’t Celebrity Apprentice always been two hours? Or does it just feel that way?

Comment by april-ann – March 13, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to say that! Do they mean it’s being condensed to one hour? It’s been two hours for the last two weeks.

Comment by Pixley – March 13, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Methinks it was to narrow down again to an hour at some point. Now it shan’t.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 13, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fair enough. I thank thee kindly for the clarification, good sir. :)

Comment by Pixley – March 13, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was a time when Saturday was actually a night of real programming. As much as this seems like death for the show, it might actually be nice to have something on that night… Well, aside from Being Human, White Collar, Psych and all of the other shows that I watch on Hulu.

Comment by Drew – March 13, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks. I hope they have time to make a proper series finale for it. NBC should have held it off until The Voice came back and maybe we could have had a 2nd season. Smash is such a great show and so much better than last season but as usual the good shows always get bad ratings while the pathetic shows like Two and a Half Men, Mike and Molly, NCIS LA, Hawaii Five-0 and others continue to get big ratings for being well mediocre at best.

Comment by greysfan – March 13, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hasn’t Go On got 4 episodes left this season??? Are they doubling up episodes or what???

Comment by Joe – March 13, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So with Smash going to Saturday due to ratings, this gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, Parenthood will get a full 20+ episode season next year!!

Comment by Jill – March 13, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch Parenthood anymore but I know it has a very consistent viewership and the ratings even improved a bit before the finale this season. It would seem logical to give it a full season, wouldn’t it?

Comment by Ana – March 13, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s hoping that Parenthood returns… Love the show. Has anyone heard about So You Think You Can Dance? Is that coming back?

Comment by Kim – April 23, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The big news is that the Sing-Off is coming back!!!!

Comment by Timmah – March 13, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC IS JUST REALLY PISSING ME OFF OKAY. I don’t watch any of the shows (I flirted with Smash but I finally passe on it this season) so whatever, but why the hell are you going to move the show right before The Voice is about to air before it? Really? Obviously, viewers from The Voice staying tuned for Smash was its only chance for survival, but they aren’t even going to try? And then, since they decided to go through with this horrendous move, they’re airing some gross second rate reality show after the voice instead of Hannibal? REALLY? They the Hannibal the death slot while they’re giving some bachelor knock off the best time slot they have. Wow. I am just beyond confuse at how NBC is running things. It deserves fifth place. It deserves 100th place. Idiots.

Comment by Rrrrrr – March 13, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the point of this move is that even The Voice couldn’t save Smash. If you can’t pull viewers from a show that is similar in demo than there is pretty much no hope for it. Moving it to Saturdays is just a way for NBC to air the rest of the episodes before they cancel it because A. they don’t want to piss the show’s small fan base off and B. they invested a lot of money in promoting this show so might as well show the remainder of the episodes.

Comment by Jillian – March 27, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh goody!! 4 more hours of reality

Comment by Boiler – March 13, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly what I was thinking… is it too much to ask for some good scripted dramas? While Smash has a lot (really a lot) of problems, I love it. It is different. It is not about crime, or medical problems. It is not reality programming. I am so tired of all the networks and their realityfests.

Comment by RUCookie – March 14, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm! Isn’t The Apprentice already 2 Hours!?!

Comment by Ethan M Lindevald – March 13, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And how long do we think NBC’s answer to the Bachelor will last?

Comment by forwarddad – March 13, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping two weeks tops. But then again, I can’t stand Eva Longoria or reality shows so….

Comment by Ana – March 13, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is a mistake to move Smash before try give it a shot after the Voice, where it could of increased its audience, now it’s done for sure.

Comment by Mike – March 13, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I thought. They should have given it is a spot after The Voice so that maybe it could recapture its audience…

Comment by Ana – March 13, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – something must have happened either with the production team and/or NBC’s relationship with that team and the advertisers. Something went wrong recently. I mentioned this in a posting last week – regardless of whom is on the production staff (Spielberg or anyone else), a show with these numbers and these production costs cannot make it. There was no hope – the numbers couldn’t work. However, placing the show on Saturday nights could really hit NBC in the sense that they probably cannot recover their costs with the ad dollars they’ll get on a given Saturday night.

So, placing the show on Saturday is really quite bold, and will cost NBC some money. Thus, I have to assume something recently caused [beyond just the ratings] NBC to just thrown in the towel and take the financial hit. I would have tried to place the show on Sunday nights, bumping Apprentice around a bit to make some room week-to-week. Smash on Sundays might have worked – maybe. But I think NBC just didn’t want to take that gamble any longer – fold and move on.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 13, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no desire to watch “Ready for Love”…No one actually watches the Bachelor because they’re looking for a love story. They watch it to see a bunch of women/men act catty and horrible towards each other while embarrassing themselves on national. Since this is basically “The Dating Show” with three people no one cares about I think NBC should lower their hopes to, you know, NBC standards.

Comment by Josh – March 13, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hope that Go On and The New Normal should both get renewed for another round and let’s pray that Whitney is going to get “canceled” in a positive way not a negative way.

Comment by Tran – March 13, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the New Normal doesn’t return until April 2nd and thats its finale, there are like 4 episodes left. Are they not going to show them all?

Comment by K – March 13, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they cared about Smash then they would not move it. I don’t even know any shows that air on Saturdays. But I am happy at least that they are showing the episodes. IT won’t give them another season, but at least we will be able to watch this season.

Comment by Jennifer – March 13, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing about Up All Night? Why not just announce that it’s been cancelled?

Comment by No one – March 13, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was stupid for NBC to relocate Smash to Saturdays! Honestly they should have aired the second season in the Fall rather than waiting to air the show at midseason again. Too long of a gap between seasons, and proabley had a lot of viewers forgetting about the show. I love this show and will support it no matter what, but I am disappointed with the way NBC is handing their tv schedules and promotions.

Comment by Allyson – March 13, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they please schedule “Do No Harm” on Saturdays at 10:00 PM then?

Comment by Kevin – March 13, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I thought ABC was bad with their scheduling. Moving Go On two weeks before the finale? Really? And on Thursdays at 9:30, one of the most contested hours on TV with ABC and CBS often trading places for number one. Glee took a dive after it moved to this time slot. But, I guess it can’t be too bad for NBC. I’m sure they have considered the cost and know that they will be on 4th place on that slot no matter what.
    Too bad about Smash. This is the kiss of death for sure. This is frustrating because this show could have been so much better. It showed such promise. But this season has been horrible. They have completely gotten away from the Karen/Ivy dynamic which was is what made it so compelling during the first season. And I honestly don’t think that giving Karen the Marilyn role was the best option. Anyone with an ear can tell that Ivy was the best choice. Ivy emboddies Marilyn in every way. I find that the Karen/Derek pairing was a bit revolting considering how she rejected him on S1 and how he expected her to sleep her way to the part. And Karen sans Ivy is boring. And Karen with Jimmy is all kinds of yuk. So basically, the producers really did a number on Karen this season. And surly, mopey Jimmy was the last straw. Too bad…

Comment by Ana – March 13, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are, however, episodes left in which some of these issues can be resolved. i.e., Jimmy. And maybe moving it to Saturday will be a good, thing; a Saturday nite series would be awesome. It would be a great improvement over reruns of reruns of whatever they are pushing this season. It would be nice to have something interesting on a saturday nite.

Comment by puterdiva – May 8, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch all my tv on Hulu the next day anyway. All this means for Go On is that I’ll watch it Friday or Saturday instead of Wednesday.

Comment by Reba – March 13, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of great comments here in these postings. Bottom line – NBC has to take some chances and risks now with their programming. They have too many holes to fill. Go On has a chance to survive – that’s the best anyone can hope for right now. The bad news is for New Normal – I think it’s over.

NBC is double-down on Eva’s show – we’ll see how that works out. Look at the bright side: If Eva’s show can succeed, maybe NBC will finally [finally!!] be able to pull the plug on The Apprentice! :) … I’m told that NBC has asked Doctor Kevorkian to pay a visit to the NBC Universal/Burbank HQ.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 13, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am hoping at least the baby will be born on the New Normal and not an in labor cliffhanger if the show is canceled. I admit it, I am a bit behind on the show, but a nice ending would still be nice.

Comment by WingsStef – March 13, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I support moving Go On to Thursdays, because I think it will pair up well with Parks and Rec. I understand them testing it out on Thursdays with the last two episodes… But I hope that they advertise it enough that people will remember to watch on Thursday instead of Tuesday.
    I hope this means NBC is seriously considering renewing it…

Comment by Babybop – March 13, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they give Parenthood a full season nest year and move it to 9 PM. It is the best show on NBC.

Comment by Peggy – March 13, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It so is…and I’d also say one of the best on TV period!

Comment by Robin – March 27, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash is toast, then. I hate that because I really like this show!

Comment by Jan – March 13, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed SMASH last year, when the show was like a more grown-up version of GLEE. But Josh Safran is clueless, clearly, on how to make a show that’s supposed to be a musical comedy work. There’s less music this season, and the characters have all lost their focus and direction. I hate to see it canceled because I’d like to see them right the ship, but it might be that SMASH’s best form of existence is to stop at the end of the Season 1 BluRay collection and pretend it was like some great BBC shows… one top-notch season and then, boom, done.

As for Go On, I enjoy it. But I liked Animal Practice better. Shows what I know. Still, I like the show and hope it survives. Ditto Whitney.

And as a big fan of Community for its first three seasons, season 4 is an epic fail. Kill it and preserve the memories.

But someone said ABC has a better lineup… uhh, since when? I watch THE MIDDLE out of habit and THE NEIGHBORS and SUBURGATORY, but that’s pretty much it. I watch way more NBC shows than ABC shows… Though I like Fox and CBS better overall.

Comment by Craig Hansen – March 14, 2013 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Should’ve stopped at Josh Safran is clueless on how to make a show. Period. End of story.

Comment by Rob – March 14, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem for me, though, is it didn’t even have a brilliant one season. It had a very good pilot and second episode and brilliant moments scattered throughout but was always, more often than not, a mess on every level other than the Marilyn/Bombshell numbers. The only great ones this year so far have been “Moving the Line” and “Cut Print Moving On”.

Comment by Will – March 14, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post