NBC Moves Struggling Smash to Saturdays, Relocates Go On, Plus Other Schedule Changes
NBC is moving its ratings-challenged musical Smash from its Tuesday timeslot, with plans to air the remainder of the show’s 17-episode Season 2 on Saturdays at 9/8c, beginning April 6.
Smash opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. It slipped further in Week 2, stabilized in Week 3, and most recently ticked up a hair to 2.9 million viewers and a 0.9 rating.
In addition to relocating Smash, NBC also announced:
* The new dating series Ready for Love — which the Peacock reportedly has very high hopes for — will air Tuesdays from 9 to 11, leading out of The Voice, starting April 9. (Originally the newbie was set for a Sunday berth.)
* Go On, NBC’s strongest freshman comedy, is moving to Thursdays at 9:30 pm effective April 4; the season finale airs April 11.
* The New Normal will air a one-hour season finale on Tuesday, April 2, from 9 to 10 pm.
* Whitney will air a one-hour season finale on Wednesday, March 27.
* And beginning April 14 and through the end of May, Celebrity Apprentice will expand to two hours.