Arrow Promotes Colton Haynes to Series Regular

Get More: Casting News

Arrow Season 2 Spoilers Colton HaynesColton Haynes apparently made a positive first impression with his Arrow bosses.

After appearing in just one episode, the Teen Wolf alum has been promoted to a series regular on the CW’s rookie hit, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Arrow Spoilers on Oliver’s Secret, ‘Evil Bruce Wayne,’ and More!

Haynes made his Arrow debut as Starling City hoodlum (and boyfriend of Willa Holland’s Thea) Roy Harper on Feb. 20.

As for the character’s seemingly inevitable transition into Arrow sidekick Speedy, EP Marc Guggenheim said at Paleyfest last week, “We’re going to see more of Roy in Season 1, and some glimmers of where his potential could be.”

Arrow returns with an all-new episode next Wednesday at 8/7c on The CW.

Comments (49)

• Casting couch? Not that I blame the producers. Colton Haynes is a fox. I bet they had both him AND Stephen Amell earn their keep behind the scenes.

Comment by Jase – March 13, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “and girlfriend of Willa Holland’s Thea”? Does he have a secret that he’s been hiding?

Comment by Jim – March 13, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do people keep on giving this guy a job? He is an atrocious actor.

Comment by Mike – March 13, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you i taught i was the only one who noticed how bad he was i cant wait for teen wolf season 3 without him and his over acting at EVERYTHING

Comment by Peter W – March 13, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually enjoyed him a lot more in his one episode as Roy Harper than I ever did as Jackson (although I’m sorry to lose his storyline on Teen Wolf). Hopefully this role is a better fit for him.

Comment by Alia – March 13, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “i taught i was the only one”?

ReallY? You write that atrociously and you have the audacity to criticize someone else’s skills? Really?

Comment by Reality.Bites – March 13, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “(and girlfriend of Willa Holland’s Thea) ” nope, heh

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 13, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boyfriend*

Comment by nora – March 13, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not John Barrowman ?

Comment by mac – March 13, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I’m still waiting for that announcement.

Comment by lll – March 13, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet they will kill off Barrowman in the season finale so that Tommy turns into Merlyn.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – March 13, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t he signed on for another show for next year on ABC or something?

Comment by henninggirl – March 13, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Seth Gabel is the one signed for another show on ABC next year.

Comment by brb123 – March 13, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with others who think that they’re probably going to kill of Malcolm in order to push Tommy over the edge, though I do hope that they wait a season or two to do it. Though that’s probably not the only reason.
      It’s also probably in part because Barrowman tends to also have British TV obligations (the Doctor Who anniversary stuff for one thing), plus music stuff, and he occasionally does theater, AND he writes. Not to mention that there’s always the chance, however slim, that there could be another season of Torchwood. Anyway you slice it, the man’s a little busy.

Comment by Regal – March 13, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He has perfect eyes. I wanna have such eyes! Amazing ;)

Comment by Maki – March 13, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just kinda assumed he’d be a regular eventually – he’s Roy Harper!

Comment by Christy – March 13, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm, I remember him being in last weeks episode but I don’t remember anything he said or did. Guess I better pay better attention :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Correction: Not last week’s episode but the last one we saw, I think. doh….

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It took them all season so far to promote Felicity who is the better actor and one ep for Roy Harper? What the H*** ever!

Comment by Josh – March 13, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its Roy harper Babe. He just broke the record *boom*

Comment by Zath – March 13, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s story driven. Roy Harper is a significant figure in Green Arrow mythology. Felicity was made up for an episode and just happened to grow a fan base. Promoting her required building a character while Roy already has one.

Comment by Matthew Swanson – March 13, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Felicity Smoak is in the comic books; she didn’t do a whole lot in them. At the same time she did grow a fanbase so something has to be built from it. I’m willing to give Roy Harper a chance, even though the writers made it out to be Thea becoming speedy. They need to recify that.

Comment by lll – March 13, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They couldn’t promote Emily before because the show was not renewed before.. they announced her promotion as soon as they got the okay for the next season. This has nothing to do with the amount of episodes each of them was featured in.

Comment by brb123 – March 13, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I need to see more of him to say if he is an interesting character and a good actor. But with Felicity and Tommy discovering Oliver’s secret in 3 episodes it seems very soon to introduce him as sidekick Speedy (beside Speedy is Thea’s nickname, so how is it going to be played?). Whatever I only hope it doesn’t mean Dig is out.

Comment by Azerty – March 13, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Diggle. The writers better keep him. He is the voice of reason on this show. Oliver needs that.

Comment by Lena – March 13, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is on his way out it seems sorry. Felicity took a bit of his place first, now Roy is gonna take the little thats left.

Comment by Loke – March 13, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was there an announcement I missed? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. This is the CW after all. They love to keep the cast all white on their shows. First, they got rid of Laurel’s friend, then Walter, now this? It would be one thing if he sucked in his role, but he doesn’t. He is great.

Comment by Lena – March 13, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There hasn’t been anything anywhere about them phasing out Diggle. That poster is just making assumptions. I doubt very much Diggle is going anywhere. He’s a well-loved, important character.

Comment by Marie – March 13, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Diggle is one of my favorite characters. If any character has to go this season, I hope it is Tommy or Quentin, but not Diggle or Moira or Thea.

Comment by brb123 – March 13, 2013 02:42 PM PDT
          • Yeah lol sure he is going nowhere. Maybe he will be left as the token black, after all its CW tradition. Then he will be a plot device or fade into the background

Felicity is apparently now “the conscience of Oliver and the one who gets to teach him how to be a hero”. Does that sound like something someone was already doing.

Comment by JK – March 14, 2013 03:16 AM PDT
        • Yes I was just making an assumption. Like Loke said, Felicity is now in charge of the reseach and hacking in the team. If Tommy gets involved (I hope he won’t), he will probably become Oliver’s confident. If Roy became Speedy he will probably help Oliver during his activities and training. The Arrow Team will feel very crowded and that does’nt leave much purpose to Diggle. However that’s a lot of “if” and promoting Roy’s actor doesn’t mean he will be Speedy right now, they might just wait a few seasons and developt his relationship with Thea (and then kill her so he decides to get revenge and meets Arrow and then becomes Speedy^^). But like all of you I love Dig and the broship with Oliver. I don’t know if there is a Diggle in the comic, never heard about it. But he is great I hope he stays.

Comment by Azerty – March 13, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh the cast is already too bloated. Roy should have been saved for later seasons. The rest of supporting cast has had very little to no character development at all. Hey writers, how about developing the characters that you have already before you start creating more characters.

The only character that has been somewhat developed is Moria. The rest are flat and two dimensional.

Comment by Varun09@gmail.com – March 13, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seems a little quick to be including roy, i assumed he would be a season 3 type character. guess its up to the writers to make it work and so far they have in most cases so i shall wait until ive seen more of the character before i make a judgement.

Comment by Alan – March 13, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. Love Colton. Liking all of the cast at this point, especially Diggle and Tommy. They better not kill them off!

Comment by AriesMatt – March 13, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta agree that the cast is getting a bit bloated. Diggle is my fave (more so than Oliver). Hopefully he won’t be pushed out for a younger cast. Tommy and Laurel, on the other hand…

Comment by Barb – March 13, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for the racist douchebag.

Comment by dee123 – March 13, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see this. He and Felicity Smoak were the two I wanted as regulars for a Season 2, so glad to see both wishes coming true. Now for Quentin leaving…

Comment by Zorkel567 – March 13, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind him but I’d much rather see Thea with Tommy.

Comment by Ella – March 13, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh dear.
    Like others, I really feel that Haynes is NOT a good actor. And also – yeah, the cast is already too packed & struggling to give enough character development time to everyone who isn’t Oliver.
    I can only hope that they work on his acting skills bigtime.
    Not sure if they’ll bump Barrowman in the finale, yeah, he’s a VERY busy guy even if you don’t include Who – he does panto every year here in Glasgow & also has his hit BBC variety show.
    I’d still like more Torchwood, but the likes of Starz & Jane Espenson need to stay the F away from it. Miracle Day is atrocious.

Anyone else notice that Paul “Harry Dresden” Blackthorne seems to have a speech impediment of some kind on Arrow? Not sure if he’s just having problems doing the accent or what. And someone get him a hairbrush haha!

Really glad CW has given them a season 2, this has been a really pleasant surprise to watch after being one of the many Smallville fans who didn’t get them not using the “other” Arrow.

Comment by Brian (@TheFifthDoctor) – March 14, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thou shalt not ravage the name of Jane Espenson! She has had her hand in more quality TV than almost everyone in the business! Just because you disliked a Torchwood series (ummm, hello, did you watch Children of Earth? And you kept watchng after that???) doesn’t mean she is the responsible party!!!

*shakes fist* BARROWMAN!!!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – March 14, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • how anyone can dislike children of earth is beyond me, in my opinion thats the best season of torchwood

Comment by Alan – March 14, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #1: Yea for Colton….hottest eye-candy on the show.
    #2: Please keep John Barrowman around as long as possible. Brings a LOT of credibility to the show…and both his acting and character(s) are great.
    #3: Has anyone else noticed that Susanna Thompson (Moira) is just an *amazing* actress?…best on the show, if you ask me. I’ve been taken with her since Eps. 1.
    #4: Thea….ugh.
    #5: Stephen Amell sometimes delivers his lines in a very odd “I’m reading this” way. Can’t an acting coach help him smooth out some of that?

Comment by Jason – March 14, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though he’s not the best actor, I have to admit that he is ridiculously hot. But it’s the CW; that’s all they care about. Acting ability comes after physical appearance.

Comment by Mikael – March 14, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is terrible!!! He needs to come back to Teen Wolf!!!! :(

Comment by Alana – March 20, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo if that means we’re going to be subjected to more of that brat Thea.

Comment by TommyG – March 21, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like Colton on Teen Wolf cause I wanted Derek and Lydia to be together but I love Colton on Arrow (just saying)

Comment by Wolf Pack – March 21, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Colton on Arrow

Comment by Wonder girl not going to save you go save your self – March 21, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no way Roy will ever be ‘Speedy’ since that’s Thea’s nickname … Since they have Roy wearing Red he is mostly likely gonna go straight to his Red Arrow or maybe even Arsenal *he’d have to lose his arm* Incarnations

Comment by Geo M – March 22, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Also waiting to see how the Laurel *Black Canary* storyline goes *Dinah Laurel Lance*

Comment by Geo M – March 22, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post