Arrow Promotes Colton Haynes to Series Regular

Arrow Season 2 Spoilers Colton HaynesColton Haynes apparently made a positive first impression with his Arrow bosses.

After appearing in just one episode, the Teen Wolf alum has been promoted to a series regular on the CW’s rookie hit, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Arrow Spoilers on Oliver’s Secret, ‘Evil Bruce Wayne,’ and More!

Haynes made his Arrow debut as Starling City hoodlum (and boyfriend of Willa Holland’s Thea) Roy Harper on Feb. 20.

As for the character’s seemingly inevitable transition into Arrow sidekick Speedy, EP Marc Guggenheim said at Paleyfest last week, “We’re going to see more of Roy in Season 1, and some glimmers of where his potential could be.”

Arrow returns with an all-new episode next Wednesday at 8/7c on The CW.

1. Jase says:

Casting couch? Not that I blame the producers. Colton Haynes is a fox. I bet they had both him AND Stephen Amell earn their keep behind the scenes.

2. Jim says:

“and girlfriend of Willa Holland’s Thea”? Does he have a secret that he’s been hiding?

3. Mike says:

Why do people keep on giving this guy a job? He is an atrocious actor.

• Peter W says:

thank you i taught i was the only one who noticed how bad he was i cant wait for teen wolf season 3 without him and his over acting at EVERYTHING

• Alia says:

I actually enjoyed him a lot more in his one episode as Roy Harper than I ever did as Jackson (although I’m sorry to lose his storyline on Teen Wolf). Hopefully this role is a better fit for him.

• Reality.Bites says:

“i taught i was the only one”?

ReallY? You write that atrociously and you have the audacity to criticize someone else’s skills? Really?

4. “(and girlfriend of Willa Holland’s Thea) ” nope, heh

5. nora says:

boyfriend*

6. mac says:

Why not John Barrowman ?

• lll says:

YES! I’m still waiting for that announcement.

• I bet they will kill off Barrowman in the season finale so that Tommy turns into Merlyn.

• henninggirl says:

Isn’t he signed on for another show for next year on ABC or something?

• Regal says:

I agree with others who think that they’re probably going to kill of Malcolm in order to push Tommy over the edge, though I do hope that they wait a season or two to do it. Though that’s probably not the only reason.
      It’s also probably in part because Barrowman tends to also have British TV obligations (the Doctor Who anniversary stuff for one thing), plus music stuff, and he occasionally does theater, AND he writes. Not to mention that there’s always the chance, however slim, that there could be another season of Torchwood. Anyway you slice it, the man’s a little busy.

7. Maki says:

He has perfect eyes. I wanna have such eyes! Amazing ;)

8. Christy says:

I just kinda assumed he’d be a regular eventually – he’s Roy Harper!

9. wrstlgirl says:

Hmmm, I remember him being in last weeks episode but I don’t remember anything he said or did. Guess I better pay better attention :-)

10. wrstlgirl says:

Correction: Not last week’s episode but the last one we saw, I think. doh….

11. Josh says:

It took them all season so far to promote Felicity who is the better actor and one ep for Roy Harper? What the H*** ever!

• Zath says:

Its Roy harper Babe. He just broke the record *boom*

• It’s story driven. Roy Harper is a significant figure in Green Arrow mythology. Felicity was made up for an episode and just happened to grow a fan base. Promoting her required building a character while Roy already has one.

• lll says:

Felicity Smoak is in the comic books; she didn’t do a whole lot in them. At the same time she did grow a fanbase so something has to be built from it. I’m willing to give Roy Harper a chance, even though the writers made it out to be Thea becoming speedy. They need to recify that.

• brb123 says:

They couldn’t promote Emily before because the show was not renewed before.. they announced her promotion as soon as they got the okay for the next season. This has nothing to do with the amount of episodes each of them was featured in.

12. Azerty says:

I think I need to see more of him to say if he is an interesting character and a good actor. But with Felicity and Tommy discovering Oliver’s secret in 3 episodes it seems very soon to introduce him as sidekick Speedy (beside Speedy is Thea’s nickname, so how is it going to be played?). Whatever I only hope it doesn’t mean Dig is out.

• Lena says:

I love Diggle. The writers better keep him. He is the voice of reason on this show. Oliver needs that.

• Loke says:

He is on his way out it seems sorry. Felicity took a bit of his place first, now Roy is gonna take the little thats left.

• Lena says:

Was there an announcement I missed? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. This is the CW after all. They love to keep the cast all white on their shows. First, they got rid of Laurel’s friend, then Walter, now this? It would be one thing if he sucked in his role, but he doesn’t. He is great.

• Marie says:

There hasn’t been anything anywhere about them phasing out Diggle. That poster is just making assumptions. I doubt very much Diggle is going anywhere. He’s a well-loved, important character.

• brb123 says:

Diggle is one of my favorite characters. If any character has to go this season, I hope it is Tommy or Quentin, but not Diggle or Moira or Thea.

• JK says:

Yeah lol sure he is going nowhere. Maybe he will be left as the token black, after all its CW tradition. Then he will be a plot device or fade into the background

Felicity is apparently now “the conscience of Oliver and the one who gets to teach him how to be a hero”. Does that sound like something someone was already doing.

• Azerty says:

Yes I was just making an assumption. Like Loke said, Felicity is now in charge of the reseach and hacking in the team. If Tommy gets involved (I hope he won’t), he will probably become Oliver’s confident. If Roy became Speedy he will probably help Oliver during his activities and training. The Arrow Team will feel very crowded and that does’nt leave much purpose to Diggle. However that’s a lot of “if” and promoting Roy’s actor doesn’t mean he will be Speedy right now, they might just wait a few seasons and developt his relationship with Thea (and then kill her so he decides to get revenge and meets Arrow and then becomes Speedy^^). But like all of you I love Dig and the broship with Oliver. I don’t know if there is a Diggle in the comic, never heard about it. But he is great I hope he stays.

13. Varun09@gmail.com says:

Ugh the cast is already too bloated. Roy should have been saved for later seasons. The rest of supporting cast has had very little to no character development at all. Hey writers, how about developing the characters that you have already before you start creating more characters.

The only character that has been somewhat developed is Moria. The rest are flat and two dimensional.

14. Alan says:

seems a little quick to be including roy, i assumed he would be a season 3 type character. guess its up to the writers to make it work and so far they have in most cases so i shall wait until ive seen more of the character before i make a judgement.

15. AriesMatt says:

Great news. Love Colton. Liking all of the cast at this point, especially Diggle and Tommy. They better not kill them off!

16. Barb says:

Gotta agree that the cast is getting a bit bloated. Diggle is my fave (more so than Oliver). Hopefully he won’t be pushed out for a younger cast. Tommy and Laurel, on the other hand…

17. dee123 says:

Hooray for the racist douchebag.

18. Zorkel567 says:

Glad to see this. He and Felicity Smoak were the two I wanted as regulars for a Season 2, so glad to see both wishes coming true. Now for Quentin leaving…

19. Ella says:

I don’t mind him but I’d much rather see Thea with Tommy.

20. Oh dear.
    Like others, I really feel that Haynes is NOT a good actor. And also – yeah, the cast is already too packed & struggling to give enough character development time to everyone who isn’t Oliver.
    I can only hope that they work on his acting skills bigtime.
    Not sure if they’ll bump Barrowman in the finale, yeah, he’s a VERY busy guy even if you don’t include Who – he does panto every year here in Glasgow & also has his hit BBC variety show.
    I’d still like more Torchwood, but the likes of Starz & Jane Espenson need to stay the F away from it. Miracle Day is atrocious.

Anyone else notice that Paul “Harry Dresden” Blackthorne seems to have a speech impediment of some kind on Arrow? Not sure if he’s just having problems doing the accent or what. And someone get him a hairbrush haha!

Really glad CW has given them a season 2, this has been a really pleasant surprise to watch after being one of the many Smallville fans who didn’t get them not using the “other” Arrow.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Thou shalt not ravage the name of Jane Espenson! She has had her hand in more quality TV than almost everyone in the business! Just because you disliked a Torchwood series (ummm, hello, did you watch Children of Earth? And you kept watchng after that???) doesn’t mean she is the responsible party!!!

*shakes fist* BARROWMAN!!!

21. Jason says:

#1: Yea for Colton….hottest eye-candy on the show.
    #2: Please keep John Barrowman around as long as possible. Brings a LOT of credibility to the show…and both his acting and character(s) are great.
    #3: Has anyone else noticed that Susanna Thompson (Moira) is just an *amazing* actress?…best on the show, if you ask me. I’ve been taken with her since Eps. 1.
    #4: Thea….ugh.
    #5: Stephen Amell sometimes delivers his lines in a very odd “I’m reading this” way. Can’t an acting coach help him smooth out some of that?

22. Mikael says:

Though he’s not the best actor, I have to admit that he is ridiculously hot. But it’s the CW; that’s all they care about. Acting ability comes after physical appearance.

23. Alana says:

This is terrible!!! He needs to come back to Teen Wolf!!!! :(

24. TommyG says:

Boo if that means we’re going to be subjected to more of that brat Thea.

25. Wolf Pack says:

I didn’t like Colton on Teen Wolf cause I wanted Derek and Lydia to be together but I love Colton on Arrow (just saying)

26. Wonder girl not going to save you go save your self says:

I love Colton on Arrow

27. Geo M says:

There is no way Roy will ever be ‘Speedy’ since that’s Thea’s nickname … Since they have Roy wearing Red he is mostly likely gonna go straight to his Red Arrow or maybe even Arsenal *he’d have to lose his arm* Incarnations

28. Geo M says:

I’m Also waiting to see how the Laurel *Black Canary* storyline goes *Dinah Laurel Lance*