Pilot Scoop: Star Trek's Karl Urban Boards J.J. Abrams' Futuristic Fox Drama Human

Human Fox Pilot Cast Karl UrbanIn an enterprising move, J.J. Abrams has recruited Star Trek‘s Karl Urban to headline his Fox drama pilot Human, TVLine has learned.

The futuristic thriller, penned by Abrams’ Fringe colleague J.H. Wyman, is being billed as an action-packed buddy cop show set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Your Guide This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers, and Who’s In Them

Urban will play John Kennex, a respected police officer who has shut down emotionally after a tragic mission left him critically injured. He is paired with Dorian (Common Law‘s Michael Ealy), an android detective who, ironically, has a better grasp of humanity than he does.

The cast also includes Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights), Lili Taylor (Six Feet Under), Michael Irby (The Unit) and Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean).

Urban will next be seen reprising his role as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy, in Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness sequel. He’s also known in genre circles as Éomer in the second and third Lord of the Rings pics.

1. mia says:

oh gosh, Karl Urban *and* Michael Ealy; now I’m absolutely watching. They are such wonderful actors, I adore them both.

2. DJ Doena says:

In “genre circles” he already was known as Cesar on Xena: Warrior Princess. He crucified her after all…

3. Hana says:

This is awesome news. He’s fantastic.

4. I’m surprised that the android isn’t female (Kelly)

5. Four comments and still no reference to Dredd?

• lauren says:

For a film that grossed $13 million, by my math not a lot of people out there to make that reference.

• I planned to go and see it in the cinema – the theaters here didn’t even bother to show it. If that’s their way to battle ‘net piracy, they are not doing a good job.

• Tusk says:

That’s partly because they effed up and were primarily shown in 3D theatres. If you didnt have a 3D theater nearby, it was likely not even available. Terrible distribution strategy for Dredd. I collected the first 2000 AD comics in the UK that featured Dredd and the movie was an extremely faithful and entertaining adaptation, far superior to that drek Stallone made.

Too bad…Urban made a fantastic Dredd. Would have loved to see him reprise the role, but poor distribution strategy resulting in disastrous box office numbers means that will never happen :(

• their loss. it was not a bad movie, overall.

6. Jane says:

Forget Xena or Dredd, he’ll always be Eomer for me.

7. Petar says:

This is outstanding cast. All actors are great. And i read in deadline comments that script is great too. This can be next Person of interest which is now best scripted and acted crime drama on broadcast tv. Hope they do it like POI with procedural structure.

• Fabi says:

written by Joel it has no way to be great, he’s an awful writer,the Fringe episodes he wrote alone were awful and his latest film, dead man down, received poor reviews,especially thanks to the script

8. Sasha says:

Really hoping this gets picked up with a fabulous cast and the team behind Fringe, I’m all in!

• Mel says:

Totally agree. I keep reading about these fantastic pilots that never see the light of day. I almost wish I didn’t know about it so I won’t be disappionted if we never see it.

9. John DeMayo says:

Is “Human” really the title? Deadline’s report says the project was formerly “Inhuman”, but is currently untitled.

10. Crap. I did not want to watch this. Now I might change my mind.

11. Gerald says:

Isn’t that the plot of one of Joey’s tv shows that he was cast in on Friends?

12. keja says:

This is sounding more and more like Asimov all the time (not that that’s a bad thing at all). I’ve loved Urban since his Xena days, so it’s pretty much a guarantee now that I’ll check this out.

13. Scribe says:

Saw Dredd. It was an amazing action film, one of the few movies in recent time to use 3D effectively. Karl was terrific in it and I wished more people had seen it. Stallone’s version left such a bad taste in people’s mouth this never got the chance it should have.

14. David4 says:

It will get picked up and I think it will get canceled after 8 episodes.

15. Eric says:

This is cool news. I love Urban and I was a Fringe fan, so this’ll be fantastic.

16. Bark Star says:

Urban did not play Bones in STAR TREK. He played Bones in J.J.ABRAMS STAR TREK. Huge difference.

17. starh says:

I’ve loved Karl in everything I’ve seen him in, and I hope this gets picked up! He should be in all of Abrams’ projects, honestly. Karl for Star Wars.

18. vps says:

This post is amazing. I realy like it

19. Natalie says:

The concept could be complete crap and I’d still watch…talk about eye candy! Karl Urban…yum! Shallow, yes…and proud of it!

20. Nia says:

I’ve been a Karl Urban fan since he was Julius Caesar & Cupid. I’ll watch anything he is in.