Pilot Scoop: Star Trek's Karl Urban Boards J.J. Abrams' Futuristic Fox Drama Human

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Human Fox Pilot Cast Karl UrbanIn an enterprising move, J.J. Abrams has recruited Star Trek‘s Karl Urban to headline his Fox drama pilot Human, TVLine has learned.

The futuristic thriller, penned by Abrams’ Fringe colleague J.H. Wyman, is being billed as an action-packed buddy cop show set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Your Guide This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers, and Who’s In Them

Urban will play John Kennex, a respected police officer who has shut down emotionally after a tragic mission left him critically injured. He is paired with Dorian (Common Law‘s Michael Ealy), an android detective who, ironically, has a better grasp of humanity than he does.

The cast also includes Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights), Lili Taylor (Six Feet Under), Michael Irby (The Unit) and Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean).

Urban will next be seen reprising his role as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy, in Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness sequel. He’s also known in genre circles as Éomer in the second and third Lord of the Rings pics.

Comments (33)

• oh gosh, Karl Urban *and* Michael Ealy; now I’m absolutely watching. They are such wonderful actors, I adore them both.

Comment by mia – March 12, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is exactly what I was thinking. Having them both on means I will defintely be watching now.

Comment by Andrea – March 12, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m right there with you. This is pretty much a lock for pickup now, right?

Comment by Lucy – March 12, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In “genre circles” he already was known as Cesar on Xena: Warrior Princess. He crucified her after all…

Comment by DJ Doena – March 12, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Caesar, Cupid, Mael…Karl Urban is known as a lot of things on Xena. All of them wonderful.

Comment by Marz – March 12, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t he also in Lord of the Rings. And the recent Judge Dredd?

Comment by Snsetblaze – March 12, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oops I did not read all the comments before posting.

Comment by Snsetblaze – March 12, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome news. He’s fantastic.

Comment by Hana – March 12, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised that the android isn’t female (Kelly)

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 12, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Four comments and still no reference to Dredd?

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 12, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For a film that grossed $13 million, by my math not a lot of people out there to make that reference.

Comment by lauren – March 12, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I planned to go and see it in the cinema – the theaters here didn’t even bother to show it. If that’s their way to battle ‘net piracy, they are not doing a good job.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – March 12, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s partly because they effed up and were primarily shown in 3D theatres. If you didnt have a 3D theater nearby, it was likely not even available. Terrible distribution strategy for Dredd. I collected the first 2000 AD comics in the UK that featured Dredd and the movie was an extremely faithful and entertaining adaptation, far superior to that drek Stallone made.

Too bad…Urban made a fantastic Dredd. Would have loved to see him reprise the role, but poor distribution strategy resulting in disastrous box office numbers means that will never happen :(

Comment by Tusk – March 12, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • their loss. it was not a bad movie, overall.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 12, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget Xena or Dredd, he’ll always be Eomer for me.

Comment by Jane – March 12, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is outstanding cast. All actors are great. And i read in deadline comments that script is great too. This can be next Person of interest which is now best scripted and acted crime drama on broadcast tv. Hope they do it like POI with procedural structure.

Comment by Petar – March 12, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • written by Joel it has no way to be great, he’s an awful writer,the Fringe episodes he wrote alone were awful and his latest film, dead man down, received poor reviews,especially thanks to the script

Comment by Fabi – March 12, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But he won’t be the only writer. All shows have several writers on staff, so it may be better than you think.

Comment by Mary – March 12, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hoping this gets picked up with a fabulous cast and the team behind Fringe, I’m all in!

Comment by Sasha – March 12, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I keep reading about these fantastic pilots that never see the light of day. I almost wish I didn’t know about it so I won’t be disappionted if we never see it.

Comment by Mel – March 12, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is “Human” really the title? Deadline’s report says the project was formerly “Inhuman”, but is currently untitled.

Comment by John DeMayo – March 12, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap. I did not want to watch this. Now I might change my mind.

Comment by tvwillrotyourbrain – March 12, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t that the plot of one of Joey’s tv shows that he was cast in on Friends?

Comment by Gerald – March 12, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is sounding more and more like Asimov all the time (not that that’s a bad thing at all). I’ve loved Urban since his Xena days, so it’s pretty much a guarantee now that I’ll check this out.

Comment by keja – March 12, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw Dredd. It was an amazing action film, one of the few movies in recent time to use 3D effectively. Karl was terrific in it and I wished more people had seen it. Stallone’s version left such a bad taste in people’s mouth this never got the chance it should have.

Comment by Scribe – March 12, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will get picked up and I think it will get canceled after 8 episodes.

Comment by David4 – March 12, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is cool news. I love Urban and I was a Fringe fan, so this’ll be fantastic.

Comment by Eric – March 12, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Urban did not play Bones in STAR TREK. He played Bones in J.J.ABRAMS STAR TREK. Huge difference.

Comment by Bark Star – March 13, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved Karl in everything I’ve seen him in, and I hope this gets picked up! He should be in all of Abrams’ projects, honestly. Karl for Star Wars.

Comment by starh – March 13, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This post is amazing. I realy like it

Comment by vps – March 14, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The concept could be complete crap and I’d still watch…talk about eye candy! Karl Urban…yum! Shallow, yes…and proud of it!

Comment by Natalie – March 17, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been a Karl Urban fan since he was Julius Caesar & Cupid. I’ll watch anything he is in.

Comment by Nia – May 28, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post