New Girl @ PaleyFest: Scoop on [Spoiler]'s Return, a Death and Schmidt's Real Name

NewGirlPaleyThe cast and crew of New Girl converged on the Saban Theatre in Los Angeles Monday night for PaleyFest 2013, and spilled scoop on Season 2′s remaining episodes, which will feature a road trip, a death, two key comebacks, flashbacks galore and… a possible cameo by Zooey Deschanel’s sister Emily?

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

WINDY CITY FAREWELL | The death of Nick’s father finds the gang traveling to his native Chicago to hang with his family, including his mom (played by Emmy winner Margo Martindale). “It felt like a slightly different show for a week,” noted producer/director Jake Kasdan. “It felt like a pilot for a different show.” Spoiler alert: The Miller clan worships Nick and despises Jess, who for reasons that remain unclear dresses up like Elvis Presley in the episode.

ENCORES, ENCORES | Rob Reiner will reprise his role as Jess’ dad in Episode 24. Additionally, Dermot Mulroney pops up again as Jess’ ex Russell at a “very opportune moment” later this season, teased exec producer Brett Baer.

THE NAME GAME | Producers hinted that we may meet Schmidt’s mother next season. Also in the pipeline: Learning his real name.

REWIND | A flashback episode is currently in production, confirmed series creator Liz Meriwether. “It’s the story of how all of them lost their virginity,” she said, adding that Schmidt’s first time (with Nurse Jackie’s Merritt Wever) finds him getting “very overzealous with some lube.”

SISTER ACT | Deschanel revealed that her sister Emily nearly guest starred earlier this season as Jess’ carefree doppelganger Katie, but scheduling proved to be a problem. “She has no time because she has her own show,” she said. “And she also has a baby. It would be my greatest fantasy to have her on the show.”

1. Señor says:

Wait wait wait…they can’t say Schmidt’s real name…

2. Teag says:

Schmidt’s name has to be revealed in the series finale (preferably in like season 6), but it can’t be said outloud, it has to be on a nametag or something.

• Shikouchi says:

Nah, they got away with naming Kramer on Seinfeld, and he was much more of an enigma that Schmidt has ever been. I enjoy that it has been unrevealed so far, but it doesn’t need to be a mystery for the length of the series I think.

• Mr. Big’s name was a let down enough. Just keep it mysterious. I’d rather not know at all tbh.

3. Shikouchi says:

Awesome to read news about one of the best network sitcoms around. I love all of the main cast as comedic actors, and they’ve each shown some amazing comic timing and have just a fantastic vibe and chemistry on screen together. Jake Johnson in particular always makes me laugh, although Lamorne Morris has had me in tears from time to time (re: why to care about the moon, “I don’t know, but I’m gonna live there some day.”)

I’m excited for some of the guest stars, new and returning. Speaking of which, Rob Reiner is mistakenly typo-ed as “Ron Reiner,” just so you know.

4. Rachel says:

they danced around everything! Yes, it was very entertaining – but didn’t really get any insights to the future of the characters or stories – they brought up everything we already knew!

5. Alex says:

Oh my God if they have Emily Deschanel guest star on the show my brain will explode from all the fangirling. :D I seriously want this to happen. I still remember when Zooey did an episode of Bones. It’s actually one of my favorites. :) C’mon FOX… the sister work for the same network. Make this fan happy.

• O'Brien says:

Completely agree. Zooey was a hoot when she was on Bones. I would have loved to have seen Emily as Katie. Watching Zooey and Emily together is SO entertaining, because they both have these inflections and mannerisms that are very different from other people, but so simlar to one another. I hope this happens some day!

6. tanya says:

I was at the panel tonight (love LOVE the episode we got to preview). I’m pretty sure they said Russell pops up at a very INOPPORTUNE moment, as in bad timing. Not good.

7. Ramiro says:

I thought Schmidt’s first name could only be spoken on the Fields of Trenzalore during the Fall of the Eleventh.