'Red' Alert: First Look at the NCIS: LA Spin-Off

What JAG starteth, the March 19 episode of NCIS: Los Angeles hopes to continueth, laying the foundation for a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off — and here’s a fresh batch of photos of the new team.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

In the NCIS: LA episode “Red,” when a murder weapon in Idaho matches the one used in a national security case in L.A., Callen and Sam fly to the crime scene to join a mobile team of NCIS agents who live and work together as they solve crimes in various locations.

Kim Raver (24) and John Corbett (Parenthood) lead the planted pilot’s ensemble, respectively playing Special Agent Paris, the athletic, smart, witty and bold leader of the Red team, and Roy Quaid, a former NCIS Special Agent forced to retire from active service who now works as an analyst.

RELATED | CBS Finale Dates: Which Four Shows Are Getting Two-Hour Send-Offs?

Rounding out the “Red” team are Aussie Gillian Alexy (Damages, as Clare, a brainiac, lawyer, photographer and military junkie); Scott Grimes (ER, playing Dave, the forensic specialist and resident oddball; and Edwin Hodge (Cougar Town, as Kai, the group’s young IT guy). Additionally, NCIS: LA‘s Miguel Ferrer would pull “double duty” as Assistant Director Owen Granger if the offshoot gets picked up by CBS in May.

Comments (75)

• I’m stunned with Kim as always ! She is perfect! I will tune in just for her! :D

Comment by Maki – March 11, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a feeling this show is going to be fresh & different from its “LA” sister, which I also love. I can’t wait!! :D

Comment by Nat – March 11, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why has no one told John Corbett to shave his old Hebrew man hair yet?

Comment by Rrrrrr – March 11, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! He looks so much better with short hair

Comment by Amy – March 11, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That depends entirely on your taste, and mine differs greatly from yours! To me, he just looks vaguely attractive with short hair, but when he’s hirsute, he’s not only more yummy, he’s just so much more virile! :)

Comment by Katie_Mead – March 11, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, I hope so, because I think the long hair looks terrible.

Comment by JC – March 11, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Glad I’m not the only one who thought he really needs to find a barber. Or at least a pair of scissors.

Comment by Dreamrose – March 11, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t mind the long hair if he would just wash it! Do not who decided that greasy hair was attractive. Not sure about Raver either. Didn’t particularly like her as “Kim” in the show about paramedics/NYPD. Can’t remember name.

Comment by Kathy – March 11, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s really no ones bee’s wax what the man does with his hair. Sara J. P. didn’t seem to mind all those years they played “lovers” on SITC. And Bo Dereck (spelling ?), the hot “10″ girl, opposite Dudley Moore, has been his significant other for over a decade. When it comes down to what each person does with their hair, clothes, etc. is personal preferance. The producers must not see a foul committed. They are the ones who rule your life when you are getting paid the big bucks. I think he can do no wrong. Been a fan for a long time. JC, you look yummy to me. ;-)

Comment by dmlgold62 – March 12, 2013 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wouldn’t that be a character choice (hair) and not the actor? Seems the same as clothes: the character is dressed to fit the part’s concept and not out of the actor’s closet!

Comment by John – March 12, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off of a show. This is getting meta.

Comment by xaverie – March 11, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NCISception??
      I’ll show myself out…

Comment by Saint Alicia – March 11, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CSI did the same thing.

Comment by Steven – March 11, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Back in the 70′s, Love, American Style spun off Happy Days, which spun off Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy and Joanie loves Chachi.

In the case of NCIS, the new shows have nothing to do with the original JAG, which wasn’t very good.

Comment by Rose – March 11, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought JAG was a great show.

Comment by JC – March 11, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • JAG was great and did last for 10 seasons

Comment by Keith – March 11, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • but are the csi or the law and order considered spin off or just paralelle isntance of a franchise?

Comment by Ex FromTheLeft (@ExFromTheLeft) – March 11, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • spin off because they spun off another show.

Comment by Alan – March 11, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NCIS was originally a spin-off of Jag, so this will be a 4th generation spin-off.

Comment by Carolyn – March 11, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness for cable. The trash that flies on network these days is horrific.

Comment by Jerri – March 11, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah because there is no trash like the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo on cable

Comment by Keith – March 11, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Kim in Third Watch and John from pretty much everything. I may have to watch the spin off despite my dislike for NCIS and NCIS LA.

Comment by Steven – March 11, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like any of the CSI shows or Law and Order:SVU.

NCIS is one of my favorite shows but it took a while for the LA version to grow on me. The addition of Deeks helped.

Comment by Rose – March 11, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Deeks?

Comment by S. – March 11, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope NCIS: Red which is destined to be its title should definitely be on Tuesdays at 10 p.m. if it gets picked up as a series and Tuesday nights may end up as NCIS-mania.

Comment by Tran – March 11, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim Raver looks great in these pics!

Comment by sia – March 11, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pity the poor cameraman who has to try to get Heddy and John Corbett in the same screen shot. Ha!

Comment by tw – March 11, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this

Comment by amanda – March 11, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They need a like button for comments like these. :)

Comment by Cathy – March 11, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim looks great!!! I watch NCIS reruns on USA and have seen most Except the two most recent seasons and I haven’t really watched NCIS: LA but I will definitely check this episode out!! :)

Comment by Roger – March 11, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know who Kim Ravers is and I’m sorry, because of that, she’s not a big enough star to carry this show. That and the idea just sounds stupid. They tried this with Criminal Minds and it failed miserable with a well known star, Forrest Whitaker.

Comment by J – March 11, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you don’t know her so she can’t carry a show? you think very highly of yourself

Comment by leah – March 11, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raver was on Greys Anatomy as a regular,24 as a regular,Revolution as a recurring character.So she can hold her own.

Comment by Shaun – March 11, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Third Watch, 24 for two. She is definitely enough of a “star” to carry a show if the writing is good. Forrest Whitaker just was not a good fit at all in that role. My 2 cents. :) I am more than willing to give this spin-off a try.

Comment by Kim R – March 11, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how many shows have relative unknowns that get turned into stars as a result? a really big portion of them. having unknown actors doesnt spell the death of a show, it in fact can be a boon because viewers dont come in with preconceived notions about how an actor will portray a character and therefore wont be disappointed by it. plus it has miguel ferrer, there is star power enough right there.

Comment by Alan – March 11, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Either you’re trolling, or you don’t watch enough TV. Kim Raver has been a regular or recurring cast member on over half a dozen different shows.
      That said, I’m not prepared to disagree with you about the show being destined to fail.

Comment by wordsmith – March 11, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t waaaaaaait!!! Huge fan of NCIS: LA, so I’ll watch this episode anyway, but I hope NCIS: Red will get picked up. The team looks good together, hope they have enough chemistry on camera!

Comment by Cottage101 – March 11, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so looking forward to this, only because of Kim. I love everything she’s on so. I wish it would have been an NCIS Spin off though, instead of NCIS:LA which has lower ratings. I caught NCIS:LA recently to get familiar with it in anticipation of Red, and I literally could not finish it. The acting is so very bad that I couldn’t even concentrate on the plot. But I hope Red gets the green light and the support it needs because I’ve been looking forward to it since the first time I heard Kim got the lead. And I love John Corbertt, but I agree that he needs a haircut already. He looks much better with the short hair.

Comment by Ana – March 11, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gillian Alexy is in this?! God I love her!!

Comment by Dominique – March 11, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the cast is horrible for this.The concept doesn’t make any sense really and I think will fail since I think it’s alot like Criminal Minds.

Comment by Shaun – March 11, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d appreciate it if you could clarify how Red’s potential resemblance to Criminal Minds would make it a failure as a show. Do you mean that, if it is too similar in tone, no one will watch it because it’s like Criminal Minds, which has garnered criticism (especially in recent seasons) for its brutal, gory, and arguably masochistic depiction of the crimes it features? Lasting eight years, as Criminal Minds has, though, is usually grounds for calling a series a success, at least in the view of the network airing it.

Comment by Dreamrose – March 11, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, here’s the thing. I’m not thrilled with the look of this, and I can’t say I’m terribly excited by the casting (although Kim Raver is the only one who I’m familiar with). But NCIS LA’s pilot episodes weren’t all that great either, and there’s some considerable differences between the show now and how it was presented then. Louise Lombard’s character was written out (and so was Peter Cambor’s eventually), Linda Hunt was brought in, as well as Eric Christian Olsen, and the show was restructured to be more of a team show, whereas initially it seemed like they really wanted Chris O’Donnell’s character to become the new “Gibbs.” Now if anyone is the “legend”, it’s Hetty, not Callen. I recap all of that just to say that it’s possible this show may have quite a few growing pains too before they figure out exactly what they want it to be. I will stick with it though for a while, because NCIS LA eventually grew into my favorite of the two, so I’ll give this one a while to find its feet (or not, as the case may be).

Comment by JC – March 11, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Peter Cambor’s character wasn’t written out. He is still occasionally on the show.

Comment by L Z – March 13, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant written out as a regular. I’m aware he still appears occasionally, although not more than once or twice a season, so I’m not sure he even qualifies as recurring. More like the occasional special guest appearance.

Comment by JC – March 14, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scott Grimes will have been on all 3 NCIS’ as he played Tony’s partner when Tony was a cop back in Balitmore. He was seen in the episode Balitmore when he was a victim. He is now on NCIS LA and staring on NCIS Red.

Comment by Nicole – March 11, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s also Terry O’Quinn, who’s played different characters on JAG, NCIS, and Hawaii Five-0 (which crossed over with NCIS: LA on two occasions – Kensi is shown to know his character, Joe White). When will he pop up in Red? ;-)

Comment by Dreamrose – March 11, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we really need a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off? Jesus.

Comment by Cassie – March 11, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • make what sells, basic business logic.

Comment by Alan – March 11, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good analysis, JC. I love the original NCIS best and like Kim Raver and John Corbett, so I would definitely watch this one. I had to roll my eyes at the description of the forensic guy being the resident oddball. This is such a cliche on all these formula shows, they either make the forensic tech or the IT person as ery quirky. I hope they don’t go too far, because then it’s just a distraction. I find Nell and Eric on NCIS Los Angeles to be very annoying, but I know there are others who are fans.

Comment by Bella – March 11, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks. Yeah, I actually like Eric and Nell separately (although Nell took a looooooong time to grow on me). It’s their cutesy geek romance that makes me cringe so hard. I’m getting to where I’m starting to mute or fast forward their scenes together. :(

Comment by JC – March 11, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Granger is his pj’s in the third pic, can not wait for that to happen!

Comment by Lorena – March 11, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to like this. I like Scott Grimes and Edwin Hodge, but not too fond of Kim Raver as an actress.

Comment by Diane – March 11, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is the reason why i like the ncis franchise while avoiding most other cop shows, at least these guys are trying something different all the time. i hate spin offs that serve the same purpose of the parent show and thankfully this franchise does its best to avoid that while staying within a general wheelhouse.

Comment by Alan – March 11, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when is person of interest launching its spin off? what about criminal minds? oh wait, alraedy done with no great success!

Comment by Ex FromTheLeft (@ExFromTheLeft) – March 11, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gosh John Corbett has lost all the sexy according to those photos. Cut that hippy hair off and get in a gym. Pudgy Corbet is not cute or credible as some cerebral agent crime fighter.

Comment by TLG – March 11, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JC has not lost his sex appeal and who cares anyway. Hes playing a role. As for the weight,I saw him in concert the night before they shot this. He has lost weight and was sick with a cold/flu the night before and had to fly from pennsylvania to LA to shoot the next day.You people are too judgmental. Give a guy a break already and enough with the hair. Its just perfect.

Comment by maria d – March 12, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Won’t last a full season. Kim Raver has never been a leading actress, she’s always been best as a support character, sorry people. This is basically “we don’t want to make a show in NYC so let’s just make them travel around solving stuff”. Viewers won’t latch onto this.

Comment by Z – March 11, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amazing then that people watch criminal minds which has a similar set up of travelling to crimes and that has lasted 8 years.

Comment by Alan – March 12, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything NCIS has to be good. Start it off with a little Cool J and it will taste just fine.

Comment by Liz – March 11, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim Raver IS pretty f—— bad @$$. it also looks like they’re trying to play off a Bones/Castle outline with her and John Corbett. I’m not even going to worry about the fact that it’s another brand name procedural because I’m not at all surprised by anything CBS does anymore.

Comment by cjeffery7 – March 11, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am kind of looking forward to NCIS night on CBS now!

Comment by Brandon – March 11, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this show does great! Maybe John and Scott’s Character can sing together in an episode. Scott’s voices is AMAZING!

Comment by Rob – March 12, 2013 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love NCIS but hate NCIS: LA. However i am hopeful that this is going to be good. I love Kim Raver in everything she does so fingers crossed this works out well.

Comment by greysfan – March 12, 2013 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had another thought this morning regarding Kim Raver. If she ends up not being dropped from the series, it will be the first time in this franchise’s history that they’ve stayed with their first choice for female lead. And that goes clear back to JAG. Andrea Parker played Harm’s partner in the JAG pilot, before being replaced by Tracey Needham (who was then in turn replaced by Catherine Bell when the show moved to CBS from NBC). On NCIS, Robyn Lively in the pilot was replaced by Sasha Alexander in the series. And on NCIS LA of course, Louise Lombard was replaced by Linda Hunt. So I guess we’ll see if Kim Raver can break that pattern.

Comment by JC – March 12, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • meh

Comment by nobody special – March 12, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leaving Grey’s Anatomy (or being let go?) was the best thing for Kim Raver! She looks badass here and will be great!!

Comment by fmd – March 12, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we really need another NCIS?

Comment by Leo – March 12, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well since the original is most likely nearing the end its no surprise that cbs want to ensure a continuation of their most successful brand, from a business point of view it makes perfect sense to make another

Comment by Alan – March 12, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tony’s old partner is alive!

Comment by Mary S – March 12, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why there are so many “not another NCIS” complaints. Don’t watch it!

I love the NCIS franchise and will be watching NCIS Red. Someone else commented that the pilot episodes and even perhaps through the first season there may kinks that need to be ironed out for the new show to find its groove.

NCIS LA started that way for me…in the backdoor pilot with NCIS, I did not like Maci. Sometimes actors/characters don’t gel/have chemistry with the rest of the cast. I am so happy with Hetty. I love Hetty! Also, in the first season, Dom(inic) did not have chemistry with the rest of the cast. He never gelled and I absolutely loved the addition of Eric Christian Olsen!! Also, I never cared for Nate and I’m glad he exited the show. Also, love the addition of Nell. Someone commented that the Eric/Nell geek love is annoying but I love their scenes! I just think Nell is too cute! Second season those kinks were ironed out and with Deeks and Nell the show really became so much better. The last two seasons, 3 & 4 have really shined and I love NCIS LA. I also like the addition of Granger. At first I didn’t like what a smug hard ass he was but I’ve really come to love his character and I like the episodes he is in. My favorite aspect of the show is Kensi/Deeks banter. They play off each other so well and love their scenes!

As for NCIS Red, I’ve always been a John Corbett fan. Loved him as Aiden on SATC. Also, I’ve always liked him in Raising Helen. I also watch Grey’s Anatomy and I did not like Kim Raver on Grey’s. I think she is better suited for this role so I’m okay with her. Nothing against any of her fans but I am wondering how Gillian Alexy will fit into the cast. I don’t know her work so for me she feels like some generic blonde actress. I worry about her gelling with the cast. Also, I feel the same about Edwin Hodge. I don’t know his work but I wonder if he will feel like Dom from season 1 of LA. I would like the concept more if those two actors were different but I haven’t seen it yet so I could be proven wrong. We will know next Tuesday!

Comment by Rae – March 13, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to have Kim Raver back on my television! She is excellent!

Comment by AJ – March 13, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Glad it’s being Picked up As Much As The Reg NICIS I like this there Missing Mackenzies partner in those Pics and The 2 Braniac techies lolol they are A Team Don’t Split Them Up They Work well So Together Just Like The Cast On The reg NCIS WITH GIBBS.

Comment by DjLevel9 – March 14, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUGE, HUGE, miss not casting Ben Browder as team lead!

Comment by MEO – March 16, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post