Pilot News: Once Upon a Time's Ruby, 666 Park Star and Tree Hill Alum Among Latest Castings

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Pilot News Meghan Ory, Robert BuckleyOnce Upon a Time she-wolf Meghan Ory, 666 Park Avenue resident Robert Buckley, a One Tree Hill alumna and onetime Beauty and the Beast star are among the latest actors to book pilots this season.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Per our sister site Deadline….

* Lucky, lucky gal Ory has landed the female lead opposite Lost’s Josh Holloway in Intelligence, CBS’ drama about spy with a microchip in his brain that allows him to access the electromagnetic spectrum. Ory plays the ex-Secret Service agent charged with watching Holloway’s asset. Ory’s pilot gig is actually “first position,” meaning she holds onto it even if Once — where this season she was promoted to series regular — is renewed for Season 3.

* Buckley has booked a ticket for NBC’s comedy Holding Patterns, about a group of friends whose lives change after they survive a plane crash. Buckley will play Chad, a once-arrogant misogynist who is now a successful chick-lit author.

* Another 666 Park resident, Mercedes Masohn, has asked to exit ABC’s comedy Mixology after her role took “a very different direction.”

* Saturday Night Live alum Jenny Slate has joined ABC’s comedy Pulling, which revolves around three dysfunctional women in their 30s. Slate’s character, Karen, is prim and proper on the surface, less so when out on the town.

* One Tree Hill alum Shantel VanSanten has joined Gang Related, Fox’s drama about Ryan, a gang member infiltrating the San Francisco PD. VanSanten will play a doctor who treats Ryan for injuries and is also the daughter of the gang task force’s captain.

* Irish actor Ed MacLiam (EastEnders) has landed the lead in ABC’s Disney ride-inspired Big Thunder drama, playing a late-19th century doctor whose family is given the opportunity to relocate to a frontier mining town run by a powerful but mysterious tycoon. Spencer Locke (Cougar Town) will play the doc’s brilliant daughter, while Ruth Bradley (the star of last year’s ABC pilot Beauty and the Beast) has been cast as Nora, a nanny with a dark past.

Comments (26)

• wait, i’m confused about meghan ory… isn’t she a series regular on once? doesn’t that mean she’s on contract? if so, then how can she book another show? AND WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO RED?

Comment by kd8604 – March 11, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I am really scared about OUAT losing ratings…. :( Not good. Hopefully this isnt a sign of the show not getting renewed!

Comment by mandy – March 11, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show has MILLIONS of people watching it. On a bad day it had 7.39 million people watching it. I am going to stick with this sites option that renewal is a sure thing until it dips so much that it starts getting moved everywhere on the schedule.
      “Red” has not really been used this season so it is likely that the producers are giving her a bit if an out. The article Matt provided says that she would be allowed to do both if the pilot gets picked up. Personally I am unsure of the plot of the pilot. It sounds a lot like “Chuck”

Comment by Me – March 11, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Total viewers mean absolutely nothing. What does matter is the 18-49 demo, which has fallen dramatically this winter. I blame ABC’s poor and erratic scheduling, and the fact that the quality of the show itself keeps declining. It’s still a lock for Season 3 though, no worries. It would be time to worry if it doesn’t rebound next season, though.

Comment by John DeMayo – March 11, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Ruby as much as the next OUAT fan but I highly doubt the ratings would decrease just because she isn’t in it that much. To me she is still a minor character and her presence this season has been quite minimal so either way it won’t make a huge difference

Comment by A – March 11, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to see Megan go as Red was my favourite but it’s not surprising as she’s been so underused. So excited to hear about Santel Vansanten! Love her and it’s so nice her and Rob are getting work. I’d rather they were working together but…

Comment by dude – March 11, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. my oth heart wants rob and shantel to work together again, but i am happy to see them getting work. especially rob on a comedy because he is really funny and he’s done mostly dramas for far.

Comment by riley – March 11, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, it was painful to watch 666 hold him back when he’s such a funny guy! OTH was pretty dramatic but at least he got to show his funny side.

Comment by dude – March 11, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy for Meghan, she has definitely been underused this season on OUAT and it looks like a promising pilot.
    Also glad that my 2 favorite OTH actors, Robert Buckley and Shantel VanSanten, have booked pilots, although i don’t typically watch shows like that if they get picked up i will definitely check them out.

Comment by riley – March 11, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I forsee Red being killed off this season :[

Comment by Julia – March 11, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you OUAT, for screwing with my favorite character. Ruby is awesome, and you promoted her to regular, but we barely see her. No wonder why the ratings are falling, this season started off great but then it’s been nothing but disappointing. I hope Meghan’s new show is a hit and OUAT plummets, the writers are asking for it.

Comment by Daniel – March 11, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really surprising. They never use Ruby and the show is starting to run out of the magic it had in its first season. Its good for her to move on since they arent giving her a good storyline

Comment by ggny – March 11, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ruby will work better as a recurring character, it is clear she is not needed enough to warrant being paid as a regular.

Comment by Mike – March 11, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the development of Meghan Ory’s character during the first episodes of this season. She played a very important role in Storybrooke, helping David, while Mary Margaret and Emma were in the other world. Now that the focus is on other characters, we’ve not seen very much of her, but I think it’d be a bad idea to let her go and a worse one if they kill the character at the end of the season.

On the other hand, I’m so glad to see that Shantel VanSanten is back! I hope her show gets picked up, so we can see her again.

Comment by Nerdbot – March 11, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Intelligence sounds like the usual CBS output but in a different package. It reminds me of Elementary with a bit of Person of Interest thrown in. I don’t watch either show but I’ve read enough about them to have an idea of the central plot. CBS does stick to its formulas. Still, if this gets picked up, I will tune in because of Josh. I’ve been waiting to see him back on tv. And I’m glad Meghan got the gig. I don’t really have a sense of how good of a performer she is because she’s so grossly underutilized in OUAT, but I like her and this will give her a chance to shine. So, I hope it does get picked up.

Comment by Ana – March 11, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It sounds like a more boring, procedural version of Chuck. Although Sawyer is the man, so I will at least be checking it out.

Comment by Jason – March 11, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buckley and Chyler please be a couple on Holding Patterns please and thank you

Comment by bryceradick – March 11, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also Robert Buckley was also on One Tree Hill so I think this headline and lede writing is poor personally

Comment by bryceradick – March 11, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll keep missing Holloway. Too bad it’s not on a good network.

Comment by Joe – March 11, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Chuck

Comment by Gilda – March 11, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So basically it sounds like a CBS version of Chuck?

Comment by maggie – March 11, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to ask the same thing. It sounds like Chuck. I’m excited enough to tune in.

Comment by kavyn – March 11, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok so if CBS is gonna rip off Chuck why did NBC cancel it in the first place. If this show works next year they will have a pilot about a firefly class spaceship.

Comment by Dan C. – March 11, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, basically they’ve completely ripped off Chuck. Any chance I would have given this show has been diminished. Not cool, not cool at all.

Comment by Fuzzy Looking Nerd Herder – March 12, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post