Ratings: Grimm Weathers Hiatus, Nikita Ticks Up, Cult Drops, Fashion Star a Shambles

Ratings Grimm Midseason PremiereThings weren’t grim at all for NBC’s Grimm, which on Friday night resumed Season 2 with 5 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating — the same audience it left off with and within a tenth of its demo delivery.

Grimm was also up a tenth versus last year’s midseason opener, and stands as this Friday’s highest-rated drama (of six).

RELATED | Grimm Post Mortem: David Giuntoli on Why the Juliette-Renard Infatuation Is ‘My Fault’

NBC’s Fashion Star “set the table” with barely 3 million viewers and a 0.8, down 37 and 50 percent from its Season 1 finale (and down even more from Dateline‘s most recent Friday numbers).

Over on The CW, Nikita (1.4 mil/0.4) rose 38 percent and a tenth, but Cult christened its new time slot with just 723,000 viewers and a 0.2, down 12 percent and a tenth from its final Tuesday outing.

Undercover Boss opened CBS’ night with 7.3 mil/1.4, down a smidge from its last fresh outing. Golden Boy‘s one-time-only Friday outing did 7.5 mil/1.0, down 21 percent and two tenths from the CSI: NY finale. (Vegas moves in here April 5, after March Madness wraps.) Blue Bloods was steady with 10.5 mil and a 1.4.

On ABC, Last Man Standing (7 mil/1.5) was steady, Malibu Country (6 mil/1.3) ticked down and Shark Tank (6.9 mil/2.0) was up a tenth and had the night’s best demo rating.

Leading out of a flat Kitchen Nightmares (3.4 mil/1.3), Fox’s Touch (2.6 mil/0.7) dipped 10 percent and a tenth.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Tran says:

Thank Grimm It’s Friday. Thanks NBC for giving Grimm a much needed hiatus.

• Mel says:

Glad for Grimm! Excellent show, as obviously everyone who ever watched it believes as they all came back. Don’t understand your comment about a “much needed hiatus.” The only up side I see to the hiatus is that it will be on my TV longer into 2013, otherwise your comment is a head scratcher.

• Tran says:

It doesn’t matter if Grimm deserves to give the series a much needed break depending on ratings and if NBC needs to stick with the plan, they better think about a “game changer”.

• Rob Davis says:

I loved Grimm when it first started, and have stuck with it through thick and thin. NBC halting the show for 4 months is stupid short sighted and entirely un-called for. I understand now that Comcast owns it no one cares about anything but money, but they have already seen the results of ignoring viewer loyalty over money. More to come, NBC. That’s a rotten way to run a business…in my opinion

• JC says:

News flash: EVERY corporation that owns a TV network cares about money.

• Bob says:

Well, NBC paid for it with February sweeps, where they were beaten by Univision. Beaten by a Spanish-language network??? I realize the Spanish-speaking population in the U.S. has exploded in the past decade, but come on.

• Ashley says:

Grimm and The Walking Dead on AMC are two of the BESTand CREATIVE shows on tv and for grimm to have a GOOD RATING for its return is AWESOME….. meaning the fans didn’t turn their backs on the show due the long hiatus. NBC is a bit wack for that.

2. Adam Bramble says:

CBS completely screwed up Golden Boy :(
    Now the ratings are really f****d

• B says:

Wow CBS is lucky it did so well. Count your blessings.

• Tami Fletcher says:

It was only on this friday..it will resume it’s Tuesday 10pm spot next week. YAY!!

• Bob says:

Pay attention to the next ad for the show where they’re showing quotes from critics. Notice in the lower right-hand corner WHO is supplying the quotes. One was from the National Enquirer and another one was from Star magazine (part of the Enquirer world). If they’re the only ones saying good things about the show, then it’s doomed.

3. Sid says:

Go NIKITA!!!!!

4. Brian S. says:

I may be one of the only ones but I actually enjoy Malibu Country and Last Man Standing when my wife and I stay home on Fridays with a newborn… That being said, am I the only that thinks that last nights “Malibu Country” was supposed to air earlier in the season? The storyline was consistent with the earlier episodes in the season but not with the current storylines. I could be reading too much into it.

• Jesse says:

Was it not a repeat? I thought last night’s episode of MC was an earlier episode I missed because, you’re right, it’s consistent with earlier in the season’s plot lines.

• Brian S. says:

It was a new episode but it was out of place. Last night’s episode would’ve made a lot more sense as the second or third episode of the season.

• I’m wondering if you’re right, mainly because the song she wrote at the end of the episode was used in episode 3 with Travie McCoy and last night she was talking as if it was new. Plus the whole thing with the clothing/wardrobe and Kim never once mentioned her infant daughter.

• Jo says:

You are correct. They announced it over Twitter that it was actually the third episode of the season, but for some reason only got to air it this weekend.

5. Brandy says:

Why in the world is Fashion Star on Friday nights at 8?? Horrible choice.

6. Katrin says:

Can you please put CULT out of it’s misery already? I wanted to try this show, but after seeing the ratings, I didn’T touch it in fear of it being cancelled anyways, and those ratings are not bad, they are awful, and get down every week… it’s not gonna last much longer!

• JC says:

The CW will probably run the final 10 episodes of Cult since they’re finished and paid for. Plus they have nothing else to replace it with.

7. ollie says:

YAY NIKITA! dont think anybody is surprised by cult #s esp with it competing against grimm.

8. gail says:

I LOVE GRIMM I AM REWATCHING SEASON I AND THE REST OF SEASON II

9. forwarddad says:

I liked Fashion Star but its really not a Friday @8 show?

10. Renee says:

I’m glad Grimm did well, but in a way that’s a bad thing. If Revolution does fine as well then NBC will think taking a show completely off the air for 3+ months is OK. So next season I will expect them to pull 5-6 shows for months at a time. And I don’t care what cable does…I don’t like it.

• Fletcher says:

I think Revolution will tank. Pulling a freshman show from the lineup for almost 4 months will kill it dead.

11. Jack says:

Nice move FOX, should have left Fringe alone and sent Touch on its way which will happen in May anyway.

• Rob Davis says:

Absolutely spot on Jack. The bean counters are smoking dope. Fringe had a loyal following. Fox did what NBC did with Grimm and delayed Touch to “who really cares” February.

12. ragincajun says:

CBS really needs to shake things up next fall, and the only way for them to do it is with comedies. All of their recent efforts in terms of procedurals and reality have been very underwhelming, and serial dramas do not work because their regular viewers reject them and new viewers will not give them a shot. That leaves comedies by default. Think about it. Even recent CBS comedy flops like Partners, Mad Love, Accidentally on Purpose, and Worst Week never received demo ratings as low as Made in Jersey, The Job, Golden Boy, and Vegas have this season. So far, almost all of their new comedies sound great on paper, and they are casting them really well. If the net can develop four or more new comedies that are well received by the focus groups, not only should the net do another 2x comedy block on Thursday, but it should also consider developing two more hours on Friday and Sunday.

Friday could be something like this:

Jacked Up
    Friends with Better Lives
    H50
    Blue Bloods

Oh, and was anyone else extremely unimpressed with Grimm’s episode last night? That scene with Juliette and Renard was entirely too over the top, and all of the actors seemed to have been prepping at the CSI Miami school of acting.

• Ty says:

Juliette was never the best character, treat her as more of a prop and filler for the more interesting stories on the show.

• Bob says:

CBS, and Leslie Moonves particularly, doesn’t give a rats patoot what you think. They have the highest rated network doing what they’ve been doing for several years. They’re not about to change that. They live and die off their comedies, not as much their dramas. But don’t worry, they’ll come up with something to replace the aging CSIs, NCIS, The Mentalist, etc. Elementary is doing well for them.

13. ddddddd says:

Is the CW really going to air all 13 episodes of Cult? What an embarrassment!

14. paul says:

Golden Boy down 21 percent compared to CSI NY finale? Bring CSI NY back for a 10th season.

• Tran says:

It’s CBS’ decision and it’ll take weeks maybe not until the upfronts in May whether CSI: NY gets renewed or canceled.

15. Tran says:

Message to Mel: What’s your problem and are you losing it because you been “brainwashed”? You’re acting like a contestant on The Price is Right.

16. Neicey says:

I can’t believe no one likes Cult. I love that show!

• laroux74 says:

AGREE! And promoting it (barely) for Tuesday nights to only move it without ANY indication didn’t help it. Also I know my DVR didn’t recognize it this this week so I missed it and had to catch it On Demand, also not helping.

Maybe they should have paired it with Nikita from the get go and made them both on Tuesday when there in less in the genre on

but who am I?

17. Elyse says:

yay for Grimm!!!!!

18. Babybop says:

Crap! Fashion Star is on Fridays now?? I totally missed the boat on that one…

19. Good for Nikita. I hope the number doesn’t adjust down, and that it goes back to 0.5 next week. Having that week off after 3×10 clearly hurt the show, and there’s gonna be another one after 3×15 *sigh*

20. Jade says:

Does Touch have a full 22 episode order or is it only getting a 13 episode order like most midseason series?

21. shuayb says:

Yay so happy for Nikita! It just goes to show if they have back to back episodes then it will improve the ratings. Now they just need to give it another season so syndication can happen. Please TV Gods. Don’t cancel Nikita yet.

22. sarah says:

That really is too bad about Cult. I really liked it but I am sure like me many people have stopped watching as it will be cancelled.
    That is odd that Golden Boy did that much worse on Friday. It is good that CSI NY did better, hope that means it will be back!
    I love Golden Boy I think it does better 1 hour later and on Tuesday!

23. Mikael says:

It was so nice having Grimm back! It was away for a little TOO long, though. I forgot what was happening with Adalind. I was like, why is she in prison? But I understand it had a longer hiatus than most other shows because it did start earlier in the year, when the Olympics were airing. I guess I’d prefer a long hiatus rather than 1 new episode followed by 2 repeats, etc.