Exclusive First Look: The Young and the Restless Looks Back on 40 Years of High Drama

Young and Restless 40th Anniversary Peter BergmanWith its 40th anniversary arriving on March 26, CBS’ The Young and the Restless invited cast members to reflect on their time (and wild times) with the top-rated daytime drama — and TVLine has an exclusive look at the first trip down memory lane.

RELATED | Eileen Davidson Returns to Y&R

For three weeks starting Monday, March 11, each Y&R episode will be prefaced by a brief on-camera interview with one of the show’s stars. “The videos are a love letter to longtime fans,” executive producer Jill Farren Phelps tells TVLine, “and will also help new viewers develop a greater appreciation for the fascinating history of these iconic characters.”

Case in point: Here, Peter Bergman — who has been with the serial since 1989 (replacing Terry Lester) — looks back on Jack Abbott’s ongoing odyssey, one which often pulled him into Nikki’s arms and thus Victor’s crosshairs.

Loading video...

The other Y&R stars participating in the pre-show retrospectives are Eric Braeden (Victor), Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki), Michelle Stafford (Phyllis), Christian LeBlanc (Michael), Joshua Morrow (Nicholas), Sharon Case (Sharon), Jeanne Cooper (Katherine), Doug Davidson (Paul), Kristoff St. John (Neil), Daniel Goddard (Cane), Billy Miller (Billy) and Michael Muhney (Adam). Whose nostalgia-fueling video “love letter” are you most anticipating?

Comments (24)

• Goddard, Miller Muhney? Are you serious? The others I can see they have each been with the show for several decades but these 3? What the hell do they have to offer about 40 years of this iconic soap?

Comment by paul – March 7, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stop jumping to your own narrow minded, inside your little box, prejudices and conclusions. It’s only entertainment, probably contrary to your own preferences.

Comment by cmaglaughlin – March 7, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh please. These three contribute a hell of a lot to today’s Y&R. Get over yourself and quit being a troll.

Comment by RedRiver – March 7, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched Y&R for 25 of their 40 years and can’t wait to see these videos! That being said even though I love Billy Miller there’s no way he or especially Goddard or Muhney should have been included. Yes those three are major characters but all are newer and don’t fit in with the others. All of the other choices were spot on and are veterans of at least 15+ years.

Comment by Jen – March 7, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good list. i ADORE Peter Bergman. class act

Comment by skip jones – March 7, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s for ratings…Miller ( Billy Abbott) Goddard( Cane Ashby) and Muhney (Adam Newman) have very popular fan base who are very supportive.

Comment by Rosie – March 7, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look at his blue eyes! So handsome!

Comment by JAMANDAFAN – March 7, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give me Victoria. Thad is not worthy!

Comment by cmaglaughlin – March 7, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched this great soap for 30 plus years and I love each and everyone of the cast, including Miller, Goddard and the one I love to hate Muhney……They all wiggle their way into your heart..You love Y&R??..that means all of them….I am so proud of this show, my favorite, victor is ruthless, demanding, bruding, handsome, debonair,hey that is drama, but I also love Nikki, Victoria, Jack, Katherine, Jill, Billy, Nicholas, Neil, Nina, Michael, Kev, Cane, Chloe, Lauren, sharon, Murphy, Lily, Ashley,Paul, Phyllis, Faith,Kyle,devon, and Supergirl, not to forget ghosts John and cassie..Oh and of course, Adam..Happy 40th and I pray there is another 40……

Comment by Lois Valentino – March 7, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But where is the Brooks family? And the Fosters? Would like to hear from those who were there at the beginning.

Comment by Pam – March 7, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Stafford and Joshua Morrow!

Comment by susan – March 7, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michelle Stafford And Joshua Morrow are the best in daytime they are the reason I started watching them I love Phick do you love Phick too? And are you on Twitter?

Comment by Jennifer – March 8, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jess Walton’s, but she’s not included. I don’t know why, she plays Jill, the only character remaining from the debut episode of Y&R in 1973.

Y&R has chosen 9 men but only 4 women to do these videos. I’ve watched the show since the start in 1973 and no way have men made up 70% of Y&R.

I don’t know how much NOSTALGIA Billy, Adam, and Cane can provide since they’ve only been on the show a few years. there are plenty of females that have been on for 25 years that have been passed over.

Comment by Lisa – March 7, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been a huge fan of the show since the early eighties. Back when Lauren and Traci would have such wonderful catfights over Danny Romalati. I was hoping that Jess Walton would have a momet to discuss Jill’s long standing relationship with Kay Chancellor. Another pair who had such terrific battles over the years. Although I briefly remember Brenda Dickson playing Jill, and she was good at her craft, In my opinion Ms Walton made the character her own and turned Jill into a strong business women. My only regret now is that she is not on camera nearly enough as she should be. I am als hoping that since Gloria has started working with Choloe and Chelse she would get more air time as well. I miss the days at Gloworm. I guess I’ll have to “Tune In Tomorrow” to find out. With that being said, let me just sat I LOVE MY Y@R!! MORE! MORE! MORE!

Comment by an – March 13, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have also been a Y&R fan for over 35 years. I love all of the above and cannot wait to watch them prior to the show starting March 11th. This show has been such a huge part of my life. Most families have so much drama in their real lives, but I just enjoy the reel drama on Y&R. I feel like the Newmans and Abbotts are my family also. I love each and every one of them. I know Victor does not love Adam like he should, but I sure do. Michael Muhney and Billy Miller make the show for me. I love them both so much. Beautiful, sexy, and fantastic talented actors that I love to see light up my t.v. screen. I love Nick also. My favorite actress is Sharon case. What would the young and restless be without Sharon, Nick, Phyllis, Jack, Victor, Nickki, Billy, Victoria and the black sheep we all love, Adam. It would be a very boring show. I love them all. Cannot wait from day to day for it to come on. Never miss it unless it is a dire emergency. Here is to hopping Y&R keep coming on for the next 40 years. My children, grandchildren and great grandchildren all know Victor Newman is and know of the Young and Restless. It is iconic and will go down in history as the Best entertainment in Daytime television ever. Keep up the good work and I know it is hard work. But thank you to the Cast, Crew, writers, producers, and all the behind people who make this show possible. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for such great entertainment.

Comment by betty stanley – March 7, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think tommorrows show will be victor callin Jack to help Nicki he will get his company back and leave Adam and Victoria in charge. He and Jack will end the feud to help nicki’s stress. Victor and Nicki go on there trip around the world. I hope they do end the feud

Comment by James whitaker – March 7, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason I watch The Young And The Restless Is to see Michelle Stafford who play Phyllis Newman And Joshua Morrow who play Nick Newman And I love Sharon Case who play Sharon Newman And Michael Muhney who play Adam Newman. Those two couple that I love is Phick And Shadam they are the best couple in daytime. xoxo

Comment by Jennifer – March 8, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched The Young and Restless for all of 40 years. I loved when Paul and his family was a major part of the show. I miss his mother Mary. My favorite story line was Paul, Cricket and Danny, then Phyllis came into the picture. I get a little tired of Sharon and Nick but love Victor and Nickie. They are so perfect for each other. Now that I am older, like the cast, watching the show each day makes my day.

Comment by Wanda – March 8, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My daughter got me hooked on The Young and the Restless when she was in high school and that is some 30 years ago. Thank goodness for the Soap channel as I now do not have to miss an episode due to doctor’s appointments, etc. I love all of the characters, Jess, Vicki, Katherine, Chelsea, Chloe, yes, even Sharon, as well as all the other actresses and actors on the show. Please don’t shuffle these people around, keep them where they are as they DO make the show the success it is.

Comment by Carole W. – March 8, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi I love Y and R have been watching since the first episode…after that, I was hooked! I had a new baby and a 19 month old and Y and R was my time. All the actors are great, it’s hard to pick one, but I do love Nikki and Victor, they are soulmates.. I have loved Katherine’s wit and I could go on and on about this show; just know that I love it and I DVR it everyday! !! Congratulatulations to Y and R for 40 fabulous and story packed episodes everyday!! Keep it going. I look for ward to watching everyday!!!!
    Kathleen

Comment by Kathleen – March 9, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes they should have definitely included Jess Walton (Jill) or Tracy Bergman (Lauren) who’ve both been on the show forever versus Adam, Cane or Billy.

Comment by CPW – March 10, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know why the writers, directors, etc., always want to get rid of the established stars and bring in new and younger people to the show — the established stars are what the viewers tune in to see. I love all the present actors in The Young and the Restless– keep the storylines as interesting as they are and we do hope Nicki improves and does not have some miracle cure — it doesn’t happen to often with MS OR MD. Best wishes for another 40 years.
      Carole, Tulsa, OK

Comment by Carole W. – March 10, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why no comments from Peter Bergman on the death of Jeanne Cooper

Comment by Teresa Perdue – May 11, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These interviews were done back in March, as it says in the article!

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 11, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post