Schedule Shake-Up: CBS Moves Vegas to Fridays, Keeps Tuesdays Golden

Vegas Golden BoyCBS is moving Vegas farther out in the desert and giving Golden Boy room to shine.

The network Friday announced it would keep the Theo James-led cop drama on Tuesday nights — in the 10/9c slot previously belonging to Vegas — instead of moving it to Fridays at 9 as planned.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

That means Vegas will air at 9 on Fridays beginning April 5, after the culmination of the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament. Meanwhile, a new Golden Boy episode will air this Friday as scheduled, following Undercover Boss.

Golden Boy nabbed 10.5 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating with its premiere, then dipped to 9.3 mil/1.6 in Week 2. Vegas‘ most recent outing, by comparison, drew 9.7 mil/1.5 — so CBS obviously eyes a slight demo advantage with the new kid.

1. Mary says:

This is good news for those of us that didn’t want Vegas cancelled. I’m okay with the move to Friday night

• eridapo says:

I agree… I believe the Vegas audience will stay with the series and follow it to Fridays It and Blue Bloods could make an interesting combination..

• Joanie says:

DCRs everybody!!! I think Vegas is a fantastic show. So is Bluebloids, but who cares. If you have a DVR you watch one and take the other! Please please, don’t take away Vegas. It’s a great show

• terri says:

I think vegas needs to be move back to tuesdays.And give it another shot,as far as golden boy you already know that he makes being the youngs commissioner. So who wants to watch how he gets there.you already know he’s going to come out winning every show it only took me two shows.Vegas take you back to the good old days when shows dressed and didn’t expose all there bodys to sell the show. It also kept you guessing.

• m gere says:

Ditto. Vegas and Blue Bloods on the same night. Great. Love both of them. I can watch Body of Proof on Tuesdays.

• jean says:

they can cancel both vegas and the golden boy.

• Cancel Golden Boy,,,Not VEGAS

• John H. says:

Roger That! Golden Boy sucks!!! Put Vegas back where it belongs. or put it on Fridays before Blue Bloods. Just get rid of it!!

• Suzy says:

We are with you. Golden Boy is just another cookie cutter cop show.
          Vegas is a show you look forward to watching every week. That does not happen much now days.

• Notcool says:

I agree and I’m pissed! Sorry CBS, but I watch GRIM on Fridays at 9:00. I like Golden Boy more than I thought I would, but wasn’t sad to have to watch it on demand (no one takes GRIM’s place), but moving Vegas to Friday nights is going to badly effect a show that was doing great right where it was. Why don’t you stop messing with shows that actually find an audience. How can you expect them to be successful when you jack up their schedule? Move the new “Boy” around!!!

• Nancy Aldrich says:

This is why the non-cable networks are hurting. They are constantly messing with the quality shows to make room for the cheaper productions and they end up losing the audience for the quality programs like Vegas. It must be really difficult for producers of Vegas to deal with these airheads of change just for change’s sake. Nancy

• JD says:

I agree Notcool. But CBS want do this. Your suggestion makes TOO much sense. This network must be made up of some of our “congressional” brillant minds.

• bill ellis says:

i agree 100% i have 450 channels on u-verse. i watch cbs because i want to not because i have to.i can record all of cbs and miss all the sponsors and still see my shows or i can watch them as i am used to and not have to chase them all over the schedule. wonder which way the sponsors would prefer? i could watch movies all day and night if i want i am disabled so i can have my prime time when i want. wonder how many thousand or million viewers can do the same thing? don’t screw with a good thing.just remember if it ‘s not broke don’t fix it.

• JD says:

Ok, Jean, so if Vegas and Blue Bloods are cancelled, you get to watch the reality shows: the Kardashians, Gator People, Brides From Hell. Wow, really talent there.

• Theojameslover says:

Do not get rid of golden boy- ever!!! Theo James is such a hottie!!’

• We wait all week long for Golden Boy. High light of my week. If CBS cancels it maybe like, Showtime could pick it up like the did for Dexter. I actually had to spend more money to get Showtime because Dexter was on it. Golden boy is exciting too. Any station that picks it up is going to have many more viewers. Ann P

• gregk says:

Michael Chiklis, who is terrific as always, is the only reason why I watch and hope he can continue to carry the show as he did on The Shield.

• Velma says:

I REALLY LIKE THE SHOW VEGAS. DENNIS QUAID IS REALLY GOOD. I DO NOT LIKE GOLDEN BOY. IT IS TOO MUCH LIKE ALL THE OTHER SHOWS. VEGAS IS DIFFERENT, AND PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL IT.

• ofish says:

I agree – please don’t cancel Vegas. Don’t care for Golden Boy. Vegas is a different type show, and great seeing the classic cars

• Paul Max says:

That’s the reason I am watching Vegas, because of Michael Chklis. After his performance on The Shield he now comes in and plays a bad guy but like his Vic Mackey character he shows he does have a heart especially towards children.

• Caren Kagan Evans says:

Golden Boy is HORRIBLE. Kill it now!!!!!!

• Gary Houts says:

WHY would Vegas even be consideed as a cancellation show? Yes, im okay with Fridays, as long as its not a killer..

• Juan Carlos says:

I agree! Vegas has a lot more story than those of drama/cops shows. Vegas is just great! I would hate it if they cancelled the show, it is just a mistake! I don’t care if you have to move it to Friday, just get it on the air and give it a chance. My prediction is, it will start to pick up even more followers and return to where it belongs: “Primetime on even Tuesday”… Just give it a shot…

• klondikeone@yahoocom says:

LEAVE IT TO CBS TO SCREW UP. YOU HAVE A REALLY GOOD PROGRAM THAT PEOPLE ARE WATCHING AND CHANGE THE NIGHT. GOLDEN BOY SHOULD BE ON FRIDAY NIGHTS. I FOR ONE CHANGE THE STATION AND WATCH BODY OF PROOF

• DC says:

I can not believe they cancelled Vegas. Try putting good shows on a good night and advertise. Seems each year good shows are taken off.
      No one I talk to enjoys reality shows! Everyone is soooo tired of them. They get worse and worse each season and fill up the good time slots.
      The only reason some of these shows are watched is due to not being able to watch anything else. These shows are the ones that should be put on off nights and not during the best time slots.

• mardel cook says:

i hope they keep vegas, great stort line about the true vegas maybe another chenel will pick ir up.

• Sharon says:

Love the cast and the story line!! Hate to see tv turned into a waste land of stupid comedy and reality show!!

2. Natalie says:

Doesn’t sound like CBS is thinking clearly. “Vegas” has done far better OVERALL from what I’ve gathered. The early feedback on GB is that when it comes to viewer interest, their “Boy” is more Brass than Golden. :p

3. Michelle says:

Cult, Grimm, Spartacus AND Vegas on at 9 on Fridays?! (Until Spartacus is over, that is.) Why do you hate me, CBS?

4. James R. says:

I actually like Golden Boy more. I think Vegas is good, but it fits better in the Friday slot for me.

• Tania says:

I’m with you, I like Golden Boy that much more. I think Vegas will do fine on Friday attaching itself to Blue Bloods. However, BB will always to better in the ratings. Me, I got Banshee and Spartacus to keep me company for the time being.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Opposite Grimm!! Not good.

• Notcool says:

I just posted the same thing. I am right with you. Nobody messes with my GRIM – LOL! Do they even realize how much drop off is going to happen changing Vegas to Friday. Forget the programming conflicts – Friday night is a big night for a lot of people to go out and not watch TV at all. They are on their way to killing a damn good show. Everyone’s right, Vegas is a unique show in today’s reality and/or CSI full schedule. Bad form!

6. Len says:

I think this is a test to se how Vegas does at 9 on Fridays. If it does okay, it’s another nail in the coffin for CSI:NY

7. What does that mean for CSI:NY?

• lll says:

It’s not a good sign. If Vegas can bring those same Tuesday numbers to Friday it may have a chance at renewal, hurting CSI: NY’s chances. Maybe CSI:NY should have done a series finale this year too instead of a cliffhanger.

• Mtb says:

The only thing about Vegas. I am sure it is not cheap to set it back in that era. The first sign of ratings drop and it is gone.

• Len says:

Cliffhanger? I must have missed something as I don’t recall any cliffhanger at al
        At the end of CSI:NY this season.

Ow wait, what’s the sex of the baby! :)

• Alisa Neely says:

i agree with you….i don’t think it was a cliffhanger….the last 2 seasons, tptb of the show has written the season final to work as FINAL….unlike miami did that time…..would be nice to see mac’s wedding and danny and lindsay’s new baby….but, we know they are happy….and we don’t have to worry about things.

alisa

• lll says:

Thank you for informing me. I know CSI NY is on it when it comes to endings that I knew this couldn’t have been a cliffhanger. They know their show is in danger year after year and I appreciate them coming up with something just in case the show does fold.

• Alisa Neely says:

your welcome…..i really wish MORE shows would learn from them…..i was really disappointed with how tptb of csi: miami handled things…..you would think, knowing their season was ending sooner then the rest, would give them a CLUE…..

alisa

• rycki1138 says:

CSI : NY has already had its season finale this year. It could also be the series finale. Hill Harper, who has been with the show from the beginning, announced he was leaving to be a regular on White Collar just a couple of days after the season finale aired.

• rycki1138 says:

My mistake, actually it was Covert Affairs that Hill Harper left CSI: NY for, not White Collar. I knew it was a USA Network show, but I put the wrong one in my first post..

• Sue Clements says:

I would like to see CSI NY come back. I also like Vegas but am not crazy about Golden Boy. There are too many reality shows in my opinion which doesn’t really matter to anybody but me.

8. Jade says:

Golden Boy seems like a show that CBS could possibly grow in the long run as well as it being younger skewing,although not by much. Unless Vegas can rate higher than CSINY I can’t see this series getting a second season.

• Shaun says:

Certain parts I don’t like about it,like how they reveal what ultimately happens to a character.Almost as bad as time travel shows!!

9. Joe says:

Are they that worried the owned the 10 o’clock hour on tues

10. James says:

The good wife should really move back to Tuesdays at 10. Golden boy is great

11. tentwenty9twelve says:

We love Vegas and Golden Boy so move them wherever you want as long as you don’t cancel either one. And a renewal of both would make our day!

12. Tran says:

Really hope CSI: NY should end after nine seasons but CBS doesn’t know how to get rid of their own shows depending on ratings and its heavy loaded prime-time schedule.

13. rainey13 says:

I’ll follow Vegas to Friday – though this now puts it opposite Touch, so something gets DVRd. And I tried Golden Boy… but didn’t find anything even remotely golden about it. I guess it’s back to Body of Proof at that time slot on Tuesdays.

14. Missy Kelly says:

Vegas is NOT coming back until after March Madness???? Watched first half hour of GB and wasn’t warming up to it. When I sat down to watch the DVR, I deleted it rather than finish it. Love Vegas and will follow it. Will wait for GB to be cancelled and replaced by NCIS Red making for an NCIS evening on CBS (thanks CW for Hart of Dixie on Tuesday) I don’t watch NCIS LA

15. Karen H in NC says:

I was not impressed with the pilot episode of Golden Boy. In fact, I recorded it to watch the next day and didn’t even watch it all the way through. I miss Vegas and I’m so glad CBS has decided to keep it. Even on Friday…it’s a good lead in for Blue Bloods.

16. kirads09 says:

Has Golden Boy really done that well the first couple eps? I am a Vegas fan and for sure
    will follow it to Friedays. Hope other fans of Vegas do the same and it survives. This does seem to spell the end of CSI:NY – not a surprise, but sad as I love Gary Sinise.

17. Deena says:

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Golden Boy. Now that White Collar is off until the fall this will fit in nice for me at that time. Plus it is not up against Grimm which I can’t believe is FINALLY back tomorrow.

18. Nero theTVFiddler says:

This is a smart move (another one) by CBS [ABC, pay attention, you need to do this as well w/Nashville, Red Widow, maybe even Revenge this spring]. It’s better to try some of these scheduling moves now in spring, than wait and gamble with the moves in fall. Find out now how Vegas does on Friday, find out now how well Golden Boy can do on Tuesday.

Bottom line – CBS will need to place a new series in this 10pm slot/Tuesday this fall. Vegas isn’t staying here, and neither is Golden Boy. They have few slots open, and I think they believe that placing new series on Fridays and Sundays at 10pm is not working well. Better to place existing shows there, and open up new series in the 10pm slots on Monday and Tuesday this fall.

It will be numbers battled between Five-0, Vegas, CSI-NY, Mentalist, Golden Boy and perhaps Good Wife as to which come back in the fall. There are three open slots – 9pm and 10pm Sunday, 9pm Friday – that’s probably it. Three slots for six shows. Maybe four slots if CBS programs a drama at 8pm Friday [production cost considerations factored in].

I still think Good Wife has life left in it, as does Mentalist, but may not be room for both – just one. I love CSI-NY, but it is an older series. Vegas may come down to production costs for a Friday show. Golden Boy? The numbers have to be good – we’ll see what those numbers are this Friday. Five-0? Sunday at 10pm.

• drhenning says:

5-0 isn’t going anywhere… plus it needs to get more episodes for a good syndication price… In addition, like TGW, it is CBS owned show so I suspect it would get some preferences.. Same with the CSI shows.. I know what CBS has to do for all of us older viewer who like their good quality, shows ( CBS started the whole reality show concept with Survivor and has the two best ones that I am able to stomach, Undercover Boss and Amazing Race).. have a good subnet..

• Len says:

5-0 will move to themCSI:NY slot, pairing it with Blue Bloods on Fridays. Leaving a good slot for one of their debuts.

19. Deena says:

Plus it didn’t make sense to promote Golden Boy, air a few episodes and then have it on break for a few weeks due to the NCAA tournament.

20. Laurie says:

I’d rather have Golden Boy on Sunday at 9 pm (because I don’t watch it anyway & let it be messed around with by football running over!) and put Good Wife on Tuesday following NCIS & NCIS:LA. The way the schedule is now, I’m going to have to find something else at 10 am on Tuesdays to watch. Drat.

21. MaryAnn says:

I hope this means that “Vegas” now has a chance at renewal. What it also means, for me, is that Friday is now becoming a “go to” night for tv viewing, just like Sundays. Will stay home on Fridays and watch tv, and go out on Saturdays instead.

22. taliesin says:

My personal feeling is that Vegas skews a little older then Golden Boy; and as such fits better with Blue Bloods on Sunday.
    Golden Boy is a better fit following NCIS: LA – which also has a slightly younger audience appeal.

23. H.F.Washington says:

Nothing can replace Justified at 10:00. Don’t watch Vegas, and not now opposite of Grimm.

24. sarah says:

Well that is great for Golden boy it was over 9 million viewers this week! However personally Friday would work better as it is the perfect lead in to Blue Bloods and I have Smash on Tuesdays. So I will have to record Golden Boy and I will watch it Fridays before Blue Bloods.

• fsaq says:

Though I completely get where you’re coming from, but you probably won’t have Smash around for too long with those ratings so that slot will empty up for you to catch Golden Boy :) Just saying.

25. sarah says:

Just want to know what that means for this Friday? Will Golden Boy be on or not? It is not clear.

26. ggny says:

CBS has alot of big shows. But Vegas being failure has got to hurt. This was suppose to be the next big show on CBS. Two Legit Stars and a great timeslot and it was a failure. CBS needs to move on from it

• taliesin says:

Let’s keep in mind that Vegas does have 10-11 million viewers. It’s somewhat hard to call a show a “failure” when it has more viewers then many shows which are considered successes. Take New Girls, for example. That show has 4 million viewers each week and got renewed for Season 3.

• Christian says:

Boo boo, total viewership doesn’t matter; it’s all about the demos! Learn it. Live it. Love it. Or else you’ll end up like you the disappointed Harry’s Law fans who swore their show was safe because it had the highest total audience of any scripted series on NBC despite having lousy demos! Plus, even if you take Vegas’ total viewership into account, it still isn’t impressive compared to CBS’ other dramas.

27. jean says:

they can cancel both golden boy and vegas

28. Tania says:

I have to say that “Golden boy” has a great deal of potential. I get the same vibe from it that I got from NYPD Blue. I hope that it continues to grow as more people find it. I am a fan of “Vegas”. I just feel that it is missing that little “something” that gives it its voice. I tell you one thing, I wouldn’t mind seeing Jason O’Mara as a regular on the New York centric “Golden Boy”. He’d fit right in.

29. fsaq says:

Golden Boy is one of the best cop shows I’ve seen in a while and one with some of the best potential to outlast the very good ‘The Following’. I can’t wait to see the seven years unfold and the ratings seem fine for a freshman drama that’s just beginning to get into its groove.

30. Linda says:

Love Vegas, will follow it where ever, and great that it’s with Blue Bloods another great show. You’ll be sorry if you cancel Vegas. We have 2 DVR’s and never watch anything live. Can’t wait for Vegas to come back.

31. Mark Lojeski says:

Great but not great news for Vegas, I love the show and have tried to get my dad to watch. He would and he is by his tv for hours. Alas he falls asleep before 9:00. lol maybe a new time slot. Everyone I have told to watch love the show.being away from WWE should help.So please do not can Vegas Oh and I did not watch Golden Boy week two. I thought week one was ok. I don’t think it can stand against White Collar and Raw.

32. Mark Lojeski says:

Ok got some days wrong maybe to much dvr.

33. Alec Poff says:

CBS lost me on this one. I love NCIS, but have found other things to watch in the next hour. I was coming back over to them in the 9pm Central time hour for Vegas, but did not get much out of Golden Boy. So they can get by with one less household on most of Tuesday night, I guess.

34. Nancy Aldrich says:

Keep Vegas. It is unique with a lot of 60’s flavor. Acting is impressive as is tight directing.

35. Carmen says:

Damnit… I hate it when shows move to Fridays. Don’t these networks know I have a life & I like to go out on Friday nights??? I guess I’ll just have to watch “Vegas” OnDemand, smh.

36. GA Moore says:

I like most all the shows they are talking about above.What I don’t like in any networks’ prime time shows is the LOUD, ANNOYING background music. Turn it down, or better yet GET RID IF IT!!!

37. Paul Max says:

I love watching Vegas and moving it to Fridays goes well with the older skewing Blue Bloods but the only thing I worry is that when CSI:NY moved to this time slot, it tanked although it was on the air a long time. Bottom line is I hope Vegas is renewed.

38. carol says:

But, Vegas was to be back on March 12, now we have to wait until April 5? Why? Vegas is far more interesting than another police story.

39. Kurt says:

Golden Boy is mediocre at best (actually not even that good). I just turned off the TV when I found out they were running GB tonight, after CBS had advertised for the last two weeks that Vegas would be back tonight.

Now, I won’t be watching either Golden Boy or Vegas. Hey CBS, good luck with your ratings.

40. Al says:

Vegas is a very good show, I really hope it goes forward,

41. Broadwayfan says:

Neither of these shows can come close to TOUCHING CSI:NY!
    Cancelling that and keeping that GOLDEN BOY would be a mistake.

42. Scott says:

Keep Vegas! 3 generations of the our family look forward to watching Vegas every week. Ever since Golden Boy showed we just change the CBS channel to look for something else. To me, Golden boy is just another run of the mill cops and robbers show, ugh… . Now Vegas has some old school class! Our 3 generations love a look back at Vegas history, classic cars, great actors, a touch of cowboy feel, and some great drama.

43. JR says:

10:33 p.m. Tuesday March 19 and I’m here right now writing this instead of watching Vegas on CBS like I wanted to… ’nuff said!!!

• Gary Bowmanm says:

I agree, Vegas was great on Tue night, I,m 57 and still like to go OUT on Fri and Sat No show can get great ratings on Fri. What has happened to CBS first Nash Bridges was suddenly canceled, then CSI Miami .. the best of the CSI venue after the departure of key characters of the original

I love Tom Selleck, but Blue Bloods is average at best, bring him back as an older Magnum and have on a special episode of the new Hawaii 5-O ( sorry, not as good dramatically as the original ) but better than golden boy by far

• Nancy Aldrich says:

Tom Selleck is great in the Jessie Stone mini-series, but that is only on once a year. Blue Bloods is good, but not enough Selleck and too much of his father’s character. I, too, think moving Vegas to Friday’s is a wrong move as most people in Dallas leave town for the weekend or go out with friends. Vegas is well acted, directed and produced!

44. tina says:

KEEP GOLDEN BOY AND KEEP IT ON TUESDAY.

45. Cindy Dunagan says:

Vegas is a great show with talented actors and the story-line is so much better than most all the shows out there. It’s far from your typical, over-done crime drama’s! Most all the shows I watch are on CBS, but this recent CBS move has me rethinking my network preferences. If Vegas is back-to-back with Blue Bloods, that will be fine with me, but the reason for the move has me curious–CBS is moving the show to Friday night to hopefully capture the younger viewer, but aren’t the younger people out dancing at clubs on Friday night?!

46. sunshinewest says:

Golden Boy is just another New York based cop serries and we have plenty of those. Give Vegas back it’s original time slot!

47. Donald Jeffers says:

Put a show like jag back on, better than any show on tv now.

48. Fran Quadri says:

Thank God that Vegas is being braodcast again. The last episode really left us hanging and can’t wait for the series. Husband and I look forward to seeing the show every week- it has become our “date” night.

49. Laci says:

WE WANT VEGAS!!!

50. Julie Piatek says:

Please don’t cancel Vegas. It’s one of the few shows my family actually anticipates watching each week.