Exclusive Smash Preview: Karen and Jimmy Kiss Again -- But There's a Twist!

Karen and Jimmy agreed to keep things strictly professional on the latest episode of Smash, so how come they’re back and locking lips in this exclusive preview video from next Tuesday’s episode, “The Fringe” (10/9c on NBC)? And why the heck is Derek staring moodily at the Broadway babies while they go at it?

RELATED | Smash Recap: Frailty, Thy Name Is Woman?

As you might’ve guessed, the big smooch happens onstage — while the twosome performs the ballad “Heart-Shaped Wreckage” from Jimmy’s musical The Hit List during its Fringe Festival debut. And Derek — as he sometimes likes to do — upgrades the minimalist staging and sets in his director’s mind. (Not only that, he reimagines Karen with darker, wavier hair — a decision I enthusiastically support!)

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Check out the preview below, then share your thoughts. Excited to see Karen and Jimmy in a romantic scenario? Or is Derek her ultimate endgame? And does “Heart-Shaped Wreckage” live up to Jimmy’s genius rep? Sound off in the comments!

1. SylwekG says:

I hate Karen, but I hate Karen&Jimmy even more. Oh, NBC, just cancel this mess.

• Caro says:

If you don’t like it then don’t watch but don’t ask NBC to cancel a show that many other people enjoy!

• Lala says:

have you seen the ratings? If you want the show to air all it’s episodes, you shouldn’t be telling anyone to stop watching.

• Leigh says:

I saw that Days of Our Lives, which airs during the day while people are at work, beat Smash’s last episode in the ratings. There is no way we are getting a 3rd season. I think it was a mistake to switch the night & I guess they need The Voice as a lead in.

• Harmony says:

Probably true but I think the real mistake was changing the show runner. Josh Saffran is ruining all the characters and making a wonderful sweet show something completely different.

• Temperence says:

Well, I’m glad I like all of that enough for me, you and several other people.

• alikc says:

Don’t ruin it for the people that love this show! Derek was and still is a freak, and Jimmy and Karen are perfect together! Smash should continue for multiple seasons to come its amazing!!!

• marta says:

i cant wait till i can buy this on iTunes!!!!!!!

2. Leigh says:

Disappointed with this whole Jimmy storyline. I wanted to see Karen with Derek. And the ratings are so bad that I don’t think this will get a season 3 so I will probably never get to see them together.

• Gillian says:

Yes! Karen and Derek have so much chemistry it is such a shame that writers went in this direction. When this show is canceled, it will be ‘what could have been.’

• Jennifer says:

We can only hope the tanking ratings will inspire the writer to kill this little romance as quickly as possible. I don’t understand the point of giving Karen such a horrid love interest. I get that a love interest who is writing a musical seemed to kill two birds with one stone, first being to give Karen a reason to defect from Bombshell so Ivy can finally do Marilyn, second being to keep us in suspense over Derek/Karen, but the guy is so unlikeable I have to fast forward through his scenes. Please writers Derek/Karen as quickly as possible before Smash is offically cancelled!

3. Steve says:

NO ONE likes Jimmy. What a waste of a character.

• Temperence says:

Patience… he was deliberately drawn that way to be redeemed.

• Jennifer says:

You’re definitely right, but I think they went a little too far. He’s selfish, arrogant, and womanizing (basically Derek at his worst) with the added bonuses of being immature, a stoner, and unbelievely rude to a woman who is bending over backwards trying to help him. Karen liking him makes me lose respect for Karen. The “But he’s SO talented” and “he clearly has a tragic past” excuses do not fly with me. Finally I just don’t think Jeremy Jordan has the charmisa of Jack Davenport, not his chemistry with Katherine McPhee. Maybe that was the real point of his character, to make Derek look good.

• Lala says:

They shot most (probably at least 70%) of the season before the premier aired. They are shooting the final this week. Even if they could change story lines week to week based on ratings, it would make for a lot of confusing narratives. Many TV viewers value having their TV shows make sense.

4. Kim says:

Woo hoo!!! YES! Adding “Hit List” to the SMASH this season was brilliant. I’d really like to see that musical.

5. Liam says:

THIS SONG GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS. So amazing.

6. ashley68 says:

they had that tension and the near kiss with derek why could we have explored that, you knoe karen fight the cliche of being dereks new squeze due to her being the led and derek realising how much he loves karen. you heard what Jimmy said, are you sure her and derek are dating? well they should be

7. smasher says:

I’m liking the potential of hit list and love this! I’m all about #cartwills (although jimmy is growing on me …a tiny bit) so derek being jeal is ok with me, lol! I like kat McPhee with darker hair too, but not sure about this wig!!

8. Kristi says:

I prefer Karen with Jimmy. I hated when they were trying to push Karen and Derek together last season.

• Thoroughly agreed, I hate Karen and Derek and would far prefer Karen and Jimmy. (Actually, if Derek is going to be Karen’s endgame I wish they’d tell me now so that I could quit watching the show.)

9. Alicia says:

Omg don’t cancel this show I love it!! I’d love Karen with either jimmy or Derek!!

10. agnes says:

I want Karen with Dereck! They’re perfect for each other.

11. kn says:

Did they make Jimmy stand on a box?! Laughing. That aside, OMG I LOVE THIS!! Sounds amazing!! I think this musical style really suits Karen #hitlist

12. Mike Ashmore says:

Excellent….same goosebumps!!

13. J says:

Amazing!!!! Katharine McPhee is stunning and this song is great!! I can’t wait for Hit List. This is a show about musicals people!!! They added different musicals!!! Jimmy is growing on me, and I love Karen/Kat.

14. Nicole says:

While I love the actor’s voice, the character (much like Ellis’s character) is just dead space on the show.

15. Hollie K. Rosser says:

I like Jimmy…a little cliche as the troubled young songwriter that actually has a heart of gold, but think the foundation is there for decent character development. I also like the fact that Smash is NOT exploring a romantic relationship between Karen and Derek…it’s an opportunity to show emotional growth in Derek. Overall, I gotta admit that I look forward to watching Smash every week.

16. James says:

I’m gonna miss this show so much :(

17. kn says:

THIS IS REALLY GOOD! I’m torn. Karen and Jimmy is clearly going to be a big ~thing~ this season, and they are kind of cute together, so I should probably try and get on board with it, but then I’ve always been a cartwills fan, and moody Derek gives me hope #smashproblems

18. Josh says:

I couldn’t careless about these two or “Hit List”

19. Josh says:

Also let’s stop trying to make Catwills happen…Smash is a show mostly for adults, let’s try acting like adults instead of teenagers.

• Leigh says:

Do you mean the use of the word Cartwills? Or the romantic pairing of Karen & Derek? I’m not a teenager & I don’t think it is adolescent to watch a show & root for a couple to get together. That’s kind of the fun of watching these shows.

20. Carola says:

I hate Jimmy and I don´t really like Hit List. But…
    I love Cartwills and support them 100%!

I want to think there is still really hope for Karen & Derek down the road.. I am loving how their friendship is evolving this season. Hopefully Karen will open her eyes soon enough.

21. Kevin says:

This is fantastic! It looks like it could be one of the best numbers of the season so far. Kat and Jeremy nailed this one. Great song and it looks beautiful on stage in Derek’s fantasy!

22. David says:

I loved the first season of Smash. It instantly became one of my favorite series in the last ten years at least. But the second season is a disappointment. I could not care less about Jimmy, Whats-His-Name, and Hit List. Jimmy is actually a very unlikeable character. And Megan Hilty is so wasted this season. And why on earth bring in Sean Hayes if he’s having no screen time with Debra Messing?? All of a sudden none of the central characters seem to have a personal life. That’s so wrong. I want to see more of the journey of Bombshell and the people behind it. I don’t want stories about three separate productions. I don’t want a whole stock of new characters taking time away from the characters of the first season.

23. Rfe says:

Cartwills FTW.
    What a chemistry, gosh…
    …I couldn’t care less about Karen and Jimmy So forced…

24. Caro says:

I don’t like Karen with Jimmy but I loved this duet! These two sound amazing together! And I loved the way Derek was brooding over Karen in the back. Please, please get Derek and Karen together! These two have such chemistry plus it is what the fans want to see! In fact, if NBC wants to boost rating they need to start hyping a Derek/Karen kiss and possible relationship.That would get the fans tuning in!

• Lala says:

How do you know what every fan wants to see? It could just as easily turn some viewers off. They’ve been teasing this ship since the first episode of last season and it just kept shedding viewers. The masses aren’t pining to see this pairing. There isn’t any storyline that’s going to get a lot of people to watch this show. People have to care about a show to care about a given storyline and not that many people care about this show.

25. Jory says:

“Or is Derek her ultimate endgame?”

Omg let it be!
    Kat and Jack have an amazing chemistry. They can’t waste that!!

26. Amy says:

Kat’s hair in Derek’s imagination reminds me of how she looked on American Idol. I always thought she looked gorgeous with the long, wavy locks.

27. I see Tom taking over as Bombshell director and Ivy becoming Marilyn when Karen and Derek leave to do Hitlist. The Hitlist music fits Katherine McPhee’s voice so much better.

• Linderella says:

My thoughts – exactly. Hope they pull it off before NBC cancels ANOTHER wonderful show (I still haven’t gotten over cancelling Awake, L&O LA, and L&O Mother Ship). No wonder viewers don’t want to invest time in NBC series – they have the same shelf life as a box of donuts.

28. I like the Hitlist songs but I really hate Karen with Jimmy. I dont like his character at all besides his voice!
    So come on NBC – dont waste time with this romance because looking at the ratings we wont get another season so I really want to see Derek/Karen now!

29. Lilacbarries says:

I love this show but could care less about Karens love life. I think the show is better when it’s exploring everyone else’s personal lives, and my favorite parts are always when they’re actually trying to get Bombshell off the ground. I am enjoying the additions of both Hitlist and Liasions .

I’m not holding my breath for a third season but i love this show. So far none of the pilots being talked about for fall have caught my attention

30. Erin says:

The Jimmy character was overwrought in the beginning, but he is growing on me. I love HItList, though, and think it has a ton of potential. I hope people will continue to give Season 2 a shot.

31. Ana says:

Nope. This doesn’t work for me. The ill-fitting wig and over-dramatics from Karen, Jimmy’s barely-moving lips that make the lip-synching so obvious, the forced chemistry between these two is tiring, but I could be biased because I dislike both of those characters. Are we going to get any quality Ivy time? Anybody that thinks that this new dynamic is working has not been paying attention to the ratings….

32. dan says:

Jimmy is becoming slightly more likable. Good idea to take the dialogue out of hit list, because he’s only tolerable when he’s singing.

I sort of like the Hit List storyline, and want to see if it winds up clashing with Bombshell in the Tonys. We’ll get a repeat of Ivy spiraling into depression.

33. Fernanda says:

tell us if Smash get another season or this could be its end

• Lala says:

It is highly unlikely it will get another season. It has the worst ratings of any show currently airing on NBC and it’s expensive. It would take a miracle for it to get another season. Rumor has it there was going to be a cliff hanger but they have retooled it to act as a series finale. The better question is if they will continue to air this season. They probably will because they’ve paid for all the episodes already and I don’t think they have anything to replace it with other than SVU reruns. I could see it being burned off in a different time slot and giving Hannibal a shot on Tuesdays. The full season will eventually be available on DVD either way.

34. Tina says:

This song is AMAZING! I can’t wait to buy it from iTunes! Love seeing Derek’s vision of the song for Hitlist!

35. Mary says:

Thank heavens I’m not the only one who likes Jimmy anymore. For a while there, I was getting worried that his gorgeous voice (and Jeremy Jordan’s awesome charisma) was going to be his only redeeming quality. Seems to be softening a bit, and I think Karen could use someone with a little fire after boring Dev.

• Maggie says:

I’m liking him more now, but I think the problem is that he started off SOO angry and unlikable and the switch seemed to be flipped so quickly that it just doesn’t feel believable. If he’d hadn’t been so obviously angry, this quick switch wouldn’t seem so odd.

• Pat W. says:

my sentiments exactly! I love Jeremy Jordan, no matter what he is in. Did you see the movie “Joyful Noise”?

36. Davey says:

Katharine McPhee continues to resemble an automaton, no matter how many costume changes they give her.

37. As someone living outside of the US, I can not watch this trailer, but have to say the way Karen is mooning over Jimmy like a 15yr old with her first crush is very disappointing for the character development. I’m not sure on the timeline in the show at the moment but it seems that it’s only been about a month since Karen kicked the cheating Dev to the curb. Considering she was living with the guy and they where serious enough for a ring to make an appearance, would have though the show would give the character more time to get over that relationship. And that when Karen was ready for another relationship, that it would likely be with someone a bit more “safe”. Last episode she basically walked in on Jimmy in bed with another women, yet still pines after him??? She’s just dumped a cheating boy friend, we’re expected to believe she would want another?? Give the girl the back bone she had in season one when going after the part of Marilyn, this new version of Karen is not working!!

38. Brandy says:

Look, I’m a cartwills fan myself, but i disagree with anyone who says that karen and jimmy have no chemistry. I think they have plenty chemistry, and they’re kind of cute together, especially now that jimmy is being slightly less of a jerk! But I still won’t be happy until we get at least 1 karen/derek kiss this season lol

39. kristina says:

One word Amazing!! Love the song, huge Karen/jimmy shipper so I am really happy. I am hoping they finally hook up in this episode cause they have been promoting their hook up in almost every episode clip. I hope Smash gets another season but most likely not, still keeping my hope alive. Season 2 has been way better than season 1. As long as they show all the episodes I am happy with that, I just wish good shows like this would last, who cares about reality tv.

40. Kirk says:

Katharine is a star! Her voice is incredible here. Both their chemistry and acting is superb in this number. I love Hit List & Smash!

41. Harmony says:

I’m so tired of the show writers talking about how talented Horrible!Jimmy is. Whomever writes these songs is not talented. They’re nothing but poppy, repetitive treacle. Wouldn’t pay a cent for any of them, or to see the awful Hit List.

42. Tina says:

People are being very negative here and that is pointless. We should be bombarding the NBC website and Facebook to get NBC to fire that hack Safron and re-tool the show with a decent showrunner. Also, we need to remember and remind NBC that the people who watch SMASH are going to be professional adults to they will be doing a lot of watching online and via DVR and Neilson doesn’t count anything but live TV viewers which is why you cannot trust the ratings. I don’t like Safron and I think his vision is wrong for the show but the show itself is better than almost anything else on TV!

43. kristina says:

LOVE this show!! TPTB have been promoting a Karen/Jimmy hookup during every episode promo so I am really hoping that happens next week otherwise I have to suffer through another week of no hook up lol!! wether this show comes back for a season 3 or not I am going to continue to enjoy every moment of this show. Way better than the crap that is called GLEE

44. Becky says:

Here’s hoping it will be Karen and Derek. At least he is not shallow and childish acting as Jimmy.
    Where and how did this story line come from anyways, just writer Jimmy out and I agree with
    one response, let Megan Hilty be Marilyn and Karen be in the arms of Derek! .

45. R says:

Go Karen!!!!

46. Titina says:

I agree with killing this litte romance as soon as posdible!I cant stand Karen with Jimmy, its all so forced!
    Jimmy is such a prick, plus I dont buy a girl like Karen would fall for a drug addicted, selfish dude no matter how talented he is. Hate Jodh Safran for including those dudes, they dont mesh with the rest of the cast!

Derek really cares about her so I hope the writers also explore that love angle otherwise the show is over…
    Cartwills fans have been waiting for Karen /Derek since the pilot. Anyways, praying there is still hope for them..

47. Dats says:

Karen and Derek won’t kiss. Why? Because no one was expecting that this would be the last season of Smash. So that, Josh would build up their story later…
    I’m not saying that they won’t have their moments, because they will. Almost kiss, hugs maybe… But a kiss? I don’t think so.
    After all, acording to spoilers, Karen and Jimmy are endgame.
    I’m not happy, because TBH, Kat and Jeremy don’t have chemistry… Their glances and touches are waay too forced, and the show is throwing up their relationship, promoting it like “they are the best couple ever”… When we all know it’s not like that.
    I used to watch Smash because I thought it was a wonderful show. The original cast was simply brilliant. But right now, Karen and Derek are the only reason why I’m still giving this show a chance.
    If I were the showrunner, I’d rewrite this plot. But they won’t.
    As for me… I’ll try my best to forget this season, because honestly? It simply sucks.

48. Pat W. says:

I absolutely love this song. I just started watching Smash this year and I love it, so I’m really disappointed that it’s not doing to well. I only started watching it because of Jeremy Jordan as I was simply captivated by him in the movie “Joyful Noise”. Then I read about his broadway credits and then. . . Smash. I don’t have the view from last year of seeing Karen with Derek, so I’m totally happy with Karen and Jimmy. Even Jeremy with Kyle!!! I just think Jeremy’s star is definitely on the rise and I’m going to be watching it all the way.

49. thejadedentrepreneur says:

McPhee is the main reason this show doesn’t work. She’s beige, bland and boring as oatmeal and her thin, generic voice doesn’t hold a candle to the powerhouse vocals of Megan Hilty. It’s ABSURD that this cornbread fed moderately talented noob would sweep in and take out a stage veteran with 20x the talent, force and presence. McPhee sucks and should have never been cast.