American Idol Top 20 Results Recap: It's the Finals Countdown

candice glover american idolHow do you take the task of announcing the names of American Idol‘s Season 12 finalists and stretch it out over a 90-minute telecast? Well, you can start with a super-awkward framework for the episode that requires Ryan Seacrest to dash back and forth from the stage to a tiny holding room, retrieving finalists one at a time and leaving the unfortunate castoffs to stew in their own anxiety and terror.

The good news, however, is that Nigel Lythgoe & Co. introduced the idea of a victory song for each singer before he or she decamped to the Idol Couches of Safety (TM). Okay, so more than half of the contestants didn’t exactly make the case that they’re ready to be the next Kelly Clarkson, let alone Taylor Hicks Taylor Hicks, let alone Kelly Clarkson. But hey, it beats the living daylights out of a lip-synched group number, doesn’t it? And to be fair, the adrenaline and emotion of knowing that half of the 20 contestants who entered the week were about to walk the plank probably didn’t help the performances as a whole.

RELATED | American Idol Guys’ Performance Recap: See Me Running Through That Open Door?

In fact, I’d argue that at least six members of the Season 12 Top 10 have at least some chance to inherit Phillip Phillips’ hitmaking throne. I’m a little crestfallen that contestants whose names rhyme with Rihanna Beer and Awe-Three Hell-Land didn’t score a pair of Wild Cards to add a little more vocal horsepower to the next three months of proceedings — and that a dude whose last name is a species of bird didn’t get swapped out for the guy whose last name is a homonym with the first name of a famous actor whose surname is Diamond Phillips — but like Gloria Gaynor, I will survive.

Let’s get to the results:

Voted Through by America (in Chronological Order) Along With “Victory Song” (and Letter Grades)
Paul Jolley: Heart’s “Alone” | Grade: C
Burnell Taylor: india.arie’s “Ready for Love” | Grade: B+
Curtis Finch Jr.: John Legend’s “So High” | Grade: C+
Devin Velez: Israel Houghton’s “The Power of One (Change the World)” | Grade: B+
Lazaro Arbos: Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” | Grade: C-
Janelle Arthur: Dierks Bentley’s “Home” | Grade: B
Candice Glover: Rose Royce’s “I’m Going Down” | Grade: A+
Angela Miller: Beyoncé’s “I Was Here” | Grade: B- (tears may have affected the vocal a bit)
Amber Holcomb: Chaka Khan’s “I’m Every Woman” | Grade: B-
Kree Harrison: Susan Tedeschi’s “Evidence” | Grade: A-

[Can I just say Keith Urban's ecstatic facial expression during Candice Glover's performance (see accompanying screengrab) kind of says everything that needs to be said?]

keith urban american idol face

Sent to the Guillotine
Cortez Shaw
Charlie Askew
Nick Boddington
Elijah Liu (awwww)
Vincent Powell
Zoanette Johnson
Adriana Latonio
Tenna Torres
Aubrey Cleland (NO!!!!)
Breanna Steer (NOOOOOOO!!!!)

american-idol-season-12-top-20-resultsWild Card
Nope, none!

RELATED | American Idol Ladies’ Performance Recap: Women on the Verge of a Righteous Breakthrough

Special Twist
Next week, Idol will hold a singoff between the No. 6 vote-getter among the men and the women, for a spot on the Season 12 summer tour. Viewers will choose the winner. Ryan didn’t tell us who the mystery contestants will be. (I vote for Breanna and Elijah, but I suspect it’ll be Aubrey and either Charlie or Nick.)

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What do you think of Idol’s Season 12 finalists? Did the speed-dialing, powervoting nation get it right? Did anybody get robbed? If so, who? Take our poll to choose your favorite performances tonight, then sound off in the comments. And for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Only American Idol can have 90 minutes to say 10 names and then go over and make it 92. Jeez. Other than that the Top 10 is pretty strong. I wouldn’t say it’s the strongest Top 10 in American Idol history because there are 1 or 2 ladies that are going home that deserve a place more than a couple of the guys, but the girls side of things is incredibly strong with Candice, Kree, Angela and Amber. Guys like Burnell and Devin are also very strong on the guys side. So I’d say 7 of the 10 contestants left in this competition are great and the other guys need to stay consistent and step it up.

• Joline says:

I think the place in the summer tour is really going to be a spot on the show. It’s just going to be a surprise. Will be shocked if this is not the case.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Could be. I was thinking that but it might just be wishful thinking.
        Maybe it depends upon who takes it hah.

• Liz Pattison says:

I’m wondering if they’re using a spot on the tour rather than a regular wild card slot because one of the two #6 contestants is Charlie, and they didn’t feel he could handle being part of the competition.

• Mary says:

Isn’t the wild card between the top guy and the top girl with only one making it? I think that one will be on tour but I could be wrong.

• ado4586 says:

QUESTION TO MICHAEL SLEZAK – Are any of the eliminated contestants at this stage allowed to try out again next year?

• marie says:

@ado4586: In past seasons, no, once a contestant participates in audience-voting rounds, he or she is not eligible to return in subsequent seasons. They have not announced any change this year.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Which is the dumbest rule if you think about it … contesents that cut in the top 40… presumablly not as good as the top 20 can try out again … but better singers that almost made it are done … cant figure the logic at all …

• forrest says:

…..and I should have known a live show would run long! My DVR cut off Kree’s performance! Timer fixed for the rest of this season at least……

• Tom22 says:

I don’t think they wasted any time at all and gave us so much music,

Yes “they said 10 names” , and had 10 songs sung. so that’s already less than 9 minutes per song… but we know that commercials and announcements take about 1/3rd of the time, so that is 6 minutes a song, and we know that well, you don’t have one person sing immediately after the other but have some banter in between in any TV format… so say they wre 90 second songs and you had 1 minute before and 2 minutes after. that’s 4 1/2 out of the 6 minutes. if you had all 60 minutes of actual air time devoted to purely calling a contestant out and letting them sing. Of course there will be some other house keeping like introducing the judges and telling us what is going to happen during the episode and the clips of each of last weeks 20 performances (which they did very completely)

I don’t think they could have packed more music into the 90 minutes in any tv show format.

I’m really grateful to them for doing it the way they did

• Joy says:

Tom, I agree. I thought it was a good show. I also enjoyed most of the finalists’ performances even more than I’d enjoyed their semifinal performances — in some cases, just song choices that were more to my tastes, but several of them also seemed stronger vocally, maybe because nerves were affecting them less tonight.
        I was really disappointed that they couldn’t squeeze a few more finalists in via wild card, though — I still haven’t seen nearly as much as I’d have liked of Breanna, Aubrey, Vincent, or Nick. The sing-off/tour thing is a nice gimmick (and certainly a big deal for whoever makes it), but not as satisfying for me as an audience member as extending their run on the show itself would be.

• 5talentgirl says:

Agreed. All four have great potential that some more coaching/exposure would pull out of them. It would be a terrible shame if they can’t come back next year.

• marie says:

Totally agree about the format, Tom.

• Bluesman3536 says:

When I saw results show was 90 minutes long, I was like, damn! Then, when the first victory song was sung, I was pleasantly surprised. Great show! Ten more performances than I thought we’d get. And, isn’t it better to hear the winners sing than the losers?

• Larc says:

Agree last night’s show went very well. I thought Ryan did a great job. He never seems to get stale.

2. Annie says:

Kree and Candice sounded amazing. There performances made up for the awkwardness of the whole night, and that the show totally lacked drama. I hope that those two are the final two this season.

• LYJ says:

Kree and Candice Finale perhaps?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

The optimist in me wants a Kree and Candice finale. Not only were they both great tonight, but they’ve each been great every single time we’ve seen them perform. Rock freaking solid, those two.
        The pessimist in me fears a Janelle and Paul finale, because of, y’know, the country singing and the whiteness.

• marie says:

Not sure about the “whiteness and country singing” thing at all, but I agree a Kree/Candice finale is unlikely simply because the best two ending up in the finale hasn’t happened since (I think) Bo vs. Carrie a hundred years ago. But correct me if I’m forgetting something, people.

• deedee says:

Maybe David Cook and Archie?

• LYJ says:

Yep. That’s about right.

• Jim says:

Well there was Adam Lambert and Kris Allen – they were my two favorites that year.

• Amy says:

deedee– Yes. Two Davids…the best.

• karenb says:

@jim-best finale ever

• darcy's evil twin says:

“whiteness and country singing”. Ha ha. I almost feel guilty anymore about being white.

• marie says:

Wasn’t a big Kris fan, didn’t much care for Archie (best two in Adam’s season would have been, for me, him vs. Alison), but I can see where you’re coming from.

• Anna says:

I disagree. The best 2 made it to the finale in S7 (the Davids) and in S8 (Kris & Adam). I could also argue that the best 2 made it last season (Phillip & Jessica), although I preferred Joshua over both of them. And in S9 & S10, the finale consisted of probably 2 of the best 3 remaining contestants, although I would have swapped Casey J for Lee in S9 and Haley for Lauren in S10.

The voters generally do a good job when it comes to picking the Top 2 or 3 contestants.

• HTGRWHOM says:

I’d have swapped Haley for Scotty and Elise for P2 for the finales.

• Yvonne says:

As much as I love Bo, I think it should have been a Carrie and Vonzell finale.

• ali427 says:

Ruben and Clay!

• Holly says:

I love the girls, but something tells me Devin might spoil the Idol Girl Party this year! Is just so cute, and he will be very appealing the the 12 year old girls and the middle aged women alike. The Idol producer’s plan to shove a girl winner down our throats just may backfire. So here’s a great idea. Since the Idol producers are not willing to change the voting system so it reflects the true talent of all contestants, why don’t they just crown a “boy idol” and a “girl idol” each year? They always give out a few recording contracts anyway, so why not?

• LeahKittyS says:

I suggested that two winners thing once on another blog. Nobody liked it.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think Paul and Devin are going to be in the finale, thus ruining Nigel’s master plan. Janelle will round out the Top 3. I don’t care – as long as Curtis goes first. He is just soooooo annoying and cheesy and derivative.

• darcy's evil twin says:

See, I said Paul was going to be standing in the confetti shower and everyone said “No way”. I hope they are right and I’m wrong.
            Devin reminds me of Alfalfa from “The Little Rascals” with blonde hair.

• marie says:

My goodness, he DOES look like Alfalfa, now that you mention it!

• The Beach says:

He’s got that cockscomb hairstyle from 2008.

• marsaili says:

This middle-aged woman does not think Devin is appealing at all. I like Paul and Nick, and Lazaro is better and better each time and Burnell is cute as a button—-but Devin does NOTHING for me, thank you very much! :-) I’m rooting for Kree, however. She’s my Haley or my Elise this year, I just LOVE everything that comes out of her mouth!

• MC says:

I think people on these chat boards are underestimating Devin as a vocalist. Listen to either of his vocals from this week and they are strong from beginning to end. He doesn’t have to struggle or strain to hit notes. He has excellent breath control. He makes it seem easy and he hasn’t even had a showstopper performance yet.

• Ben says:

@darcy – I said no way, and I still do, but now you are making me a little scared, I admit. I still tend to think Paul will be out very early.

• Taylor says:

@Ben: I think you’re underestimating the power of country music viewers. And with Keith as a judge–instead of Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez who knew nothing about country music–he is sure to support Paul, Janelle and Kree. I wouldn’t be surprised if Paul makes the Top 5. I predict Lazaro, Burnell, Amber and maybe Kree to go out first. I think Lazaro will be this year’s Heejun. And Burnell, Amber and Kree just lack personality at this point.

• Ben says:

@taylor – I don’t think I underestimate it, I just don’t think Paul will be well loved even by that group. I think he is more Michael Sarver/Bucky Covington than Scotty McCreery. I’m not surprised to see him make the top 5 boys in a weak pack such as this, but I’d be astonished to see him hit top 5, because he does not have the personality of those country singers who have made the top 6 in the past.

• Mary says:

True talent according to who. I believe only one season did not pick the correct singer and that was season 9. You might not agree, which is okay, but this show is a starting point not the end all.

Nigel?

• Mercy Wright says:

Devin cute? I only see Tintin.

• Yvonne says:

Season 11 top 7 or 8 contestants were so phenomenal that they actually could have given a recording contract to each one. Unreal. I have never enjoyed myself as much.

• Anna says:

Devin’s not that cute. Paul is easily the cutest of the guys. He’s also an aspiring country artist — which makes him the biggest threat to a girl winning this season.

• Anna says:

How does the voting system not reflect the “true talent” of the contestants? The past Idol winners are all very talented artists, whether or not they are your, mine (or anyone else’s) favorite of that particular season.

There hasn’t been a season where all the viewers have ever agreed on how was the most talented. Even in Kelly’s and Carrie’s seasons, there were people who thought — and probably still think — that other contestants were more “talented”.

• Joel says:

I’ll grant that Devin sings pretty well, but the guy has the charisma — and the sartorial sense — of a sheet of three-holed paper. I just don’t get what it is about Tin Tin that has so many thinking “Idol!” He doesn’t even seem all that happy, as if his mom is forcing him to be there because she likes how he sings Engelbert Humperdinck songs for Aunt Jackie (or Consuela) at Thanksgiving (or Cinco de Mayo). What gives? Meanwhile, I’d swap Aubrey and Breanna for ANY of those guys. And more props for Ryan for doing whatever he can to therapize Charlie.

• Carrie says:

Isn’t Kree a white country singer?

• Jessica says:

I don’t see her as country.-not at all. She’s been playing really coy about genre. i wouldn’t be surprised to see her come out with rock to twist things up to keep people wanting more. Which is good.

• 5talentgirl says:

Ha-ha! could be true!

• gregk says:

Wish Kree would have been the one to sing “Alone,” even though it has been overdone. She reminds me of Ann Wilson and would do a spectacular performance with it, maybe even better than Allison Iraheta did a few seasons ago.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Same here. Maybe she could pull it off or maybe not but I’d have loved to hear her give a shot and move in that direction (away from country) and it would’ve been something awesome if she had pulled it off in spades. It probably would’ve fit her better.

• allie says:

YES. She reminds me of a country Ann Wilson as well. Love her voice. She and Candice are my favs – I can pretty much take or leave everyone else so far.

• Yvonne says:

omg. Now that you’ve said it. She’s got to do it.

• Ty says:

I thought Burnell sounded REALLY good tonight too. He came out with a great tone in his voice.

Oh and btw, did you all see the disappointment in Keiths eyes when Paul walked out ???!?!??!?

I was still happy, now the chances Paul and Lazaro will hook up went from 0% to like 5%. Yes, I am that shallow.

• Mercy Wright says:

Keith was the only one not to clap for Paul.
        Remined me of Simon’s reaction when Kris Allen was announced as the winner over the way better singer Adam Lambert.

• Jessica says:

I don’t think Keith likes Paul due to the comments about country.music. Maybe even when he call\ed Keith Pop Country

• Jim says:

I don’t think Lazaro is Paul’s type at all.

3. LOLOL says:

Last name is a species of a bird? Who is that? Aros?

4. Kelly says:

I’m mostly OK with the results except I can’t help but be highly disappointed Breanna was cut. Their pimping of Janelle paid off, I guess. Too bad for Janelle she is a waste of space since Kree can sing circles around her in the country genre. I also thought Angie sounded TERRIBLE tonight. I don’t like her, sorry.

• marie says:

Kelly, you took the words out of my mouth. I thought exactly the same: the producers got what they wanted, and Janelle got the spot that should have gone to Breanna. Boo.
      I’ve enjoyed Angie’s past performances, but I agree she was way off tonight. She its much better behind the piano and should concentrate on that.

• AdamL says:

Don’t like Angela either, just too much hype..

• darcy's evil twin says:

I like country music, Breanna is exactly the type of singer I normally don’t care for, and *I* liked Breanna much better than Janelle. I was very disappointed when Janelle was the first “safe” contestant.

• marie says:

I’m not a big fan of country but I enjoy a truly good singer in any genre, and I’m really enjoying Kree. Janelle is as bland as a jar full of Miracle Whip mixed with tepid water.

• alfalfa says:

After Haley Reinhart was eliminated and the season 10 final 2 ended up being a country teen idol hoedown showdown, I will never underestimate the country vote again. Not to mention Tate winning X-Factor, Simon-the-notorious-country-hater’s show! Won’t surprise me one bit if Janelle goes very far in the competition.

• deedee says:

Yup, same here. Breanna was my #4 girl after Candice, Kree, and Amber. I knew Angie was a shoo in. So my only swap would be Breanna for Janelle, who has not been good at all in her latest performances. Ho hum.

• The Beach says:

When Ryan opened the Janelle envelope first it pretty much took the suspense out of the rest of the show as the other four were pretty much a lock.

• deedee says:

So true, so so true, The Beach. Nigel is systematically killing all opportunities for suspense, and I can’t figure out why. Has he given up on the show? What he’s doing is the TV equivalent of wearing sweatpants everyday, and everywhere. He just can’t be bothered to dress the show up anymore. :-|
          How did they do the reveals last year? I have memory at all. Were all the kids onstage, and did Ryan do his usual “dim the lights” drama?

• Tom22 says:

lol. we disgree on a lot of things , don’t we Dee Dee ? I hate the normal way of reveals. I would be offended if anyone in my life had and evelope in front of me and delayed and waved it in front of me taunting me. I’d be livid

So I get really disgusted when they have the kids on camera and they delay giving the results as quickly and gracefully as they can. I’m not a cynical person and want to treat people kindly and as I would want to be treated myself and I just can’t stand that sending over to the stools thing. I understand they need a little drama and I bight my tongue and watch it.. but I don’t like it because I wouldn’t want to be there at all.

Its like dangling a treat over a dogs head for 20 seconds dipping it and taking it away. Would you do that to a dog? Disgusting to me and I hope they keep it out of the show and go with a format like they did tonight.

• deedee says:

Tom22, normally I’d agree with you. Out in the real world, we don’t tease and taunt people without mercy. A boss doesn’t point a finger at you and say “you’re fired” in front of a boardroom full of colleagues. But the rules of life don’t apply to Reality TV (within reason, of course). And the contestants who sign up for shows like this also sign up for all the indignities, and manipulations, and theatrics.
            Not everyone can handle it (Charlie), and those are the people who should not even try out for the show. Ryan’s cruel teasing is part of the fun. We like to get outraged and gasp at his meanness, and then chalk it all up to the evil of Nigel Lithgoe. LOL, take that away, and what we’re left with is last night’s tepid blah-ness, imo.

• Tom22 says:

ok dee dee, I like that “chalk it up to nigel’s evilness”. I do find it tedious as well as kind of rude.. I’d much rather have it over and done with and have judges describe how the singer could have handled the transition from the bridge to the chorus better. I don’t find that dry or boring but I can see how others don’t find picking things apart to their minutia fun (lol.. if you’re read here you know thats fun for me.. but reading all over and seeing so little of it, I can tell its not fun for other people)

I can understand its a game show. If they could be a little more “campy” about it and we could hiss at the evil producer whenever he took the stage with his black hat and handlebar mustache that’s the kind of corny I’d find enjoyable. ; ) I

• marie says:

Not sure about that; I think yes, Candice, Kree, and Angie were locks, but I wasn’t sure about Amber. Glad Amber got in.

• Trouty Mouth says:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Breanna > Janelle and Angie.

• Wow, Angie is the ONLY reason I am continuing to watch this train wreck of a show. No way is Breanna better than her. Angie sang through tears tonight, with passion and still hit some incredible notes!

• Anna says:

I don’t get why they are pimping Angie, who is basically the female version of Colton — a.k.a. someone who is going to be a Christian artist post-Idol. Not that there’s anything wrong with being a Christian musci artist — and I think she will end up being successful in that genre. But I would think the producers would only be interested in pimping people who have more mainstream (pop, country r&b) futures, rather than someone who is a niche artist.

Also, she isn’t anywhere near as good of a singer/performer as Kree or Candice — who, in my opinion, blow everyone else in the Top 10 other than Burnell totally away.

5. Lauren says:

I’m dying to know what the results would be if they had done straight results instead of broken down between guys and girls.

• I would love to know this. My guess is the first guy wouldn’t pop up into the 4th or 5th spot. I think it would have been 7 girls and 3 guys. Devin, Lazaro and Burnell are the only guys I would have sent through with Breanna and Aubrey getting those other 2 spots.

• forrest says:

The producer(s) know the males draw in a considerable amount of the audience, so that’s why the numbers, at least at the beginning, start off equal, regardless of the female talent pool. This year especially. IMHO.

• teatime says:

But in other years it is the girls who benefit from them keeping the genders equal to a point. In some seasons once the voting started the first several casualties were females. So they did not do it to help the guys. If they are looking for contestants that have more audience support then they can get that by letting the audience start voting earlier.

• Venus says:

Right on. None of the guys other than Devin and Lazaro are very good. I still think the talent on this show is going downhill. Can only get excited about 5 of the 10. Season 7 had much more talent– Davids, Jason, Carly, Brooke, Michael Johns, etc. Am hoping and nearlly sure The Voice will be better. Best singers should go through not an even number of guys and girls. Nigel is stupid.

• Anna says:

Huh? Did you listen to Lazaro’s “victory song”? He was awful — and he wasn’t very good the other night, either. I think he got through to the Top 10 ainly because of his backstory. He’ll likely be one of the first ones cut, because he’s probably the weakest singer in the lot.

• 5talentgirl says:

That’s exactly what I think should have happened. though I also liked Elijah Liu as he is current and has a nice voice and face…

6. Billie says:

“OKAY THIS IS THE TOP TEN THAT I WANT:
    Girls:
    1. Amber 2. Angie 3. Candice 4. Kree and 5. ???
    Boys:
    1. Devin 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ??? 5. ???
    I hope Nigel is right about his tweet about the ‘Top 5′ girls because the boys I think will advance are: Charlie, Curtis, Devin, Lazaro, and Paul.
    Comment by Billie – March 6, 2013 10:38 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Last thing to say based on Nigel’s tweet, I think the ‘Top 5′ girls are: Angie, Candice, and Janelle (those three are being pimped since before Las Vegas rounds then we have new legitimate contenders with pimp spots during last girls’ night Amber, and Kree. That is my final prediction.
    Comment by Billie – March 7, 2013 07:46 AM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Well I agree with this except Janelle. I think she lost her spot after the last two weeks and I am hoping Breanna is in or even Aubrey.
    Comment by Mary – March 7, 2013 08:11 AM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT! I think Janelle is still in, you can tell the judges are lying about her recent performance saying it was good I guess to help her advance to next round even though it is not and who did that to make them say those? Of course, Nigel. Is there any smart reasoning why the first Las Vegas round of Janelle which is slightly better got constructive criticisms from the judges while her latest effort which is weaker got none? OHCMON
    Comment by Billie – March 7, 2013 08:40 AM PST REPLY TO THIS POST”

Haha I got 9/10 predictions!!! UGH!!! I missed one. If I just predicted all those 10 I would’ve called myself ‘Billie THE IDOL PROPHET’!!! I knew it back on my mind it was really Burnell not Charlie making it through I knew it! LOL

BTW here is my reactions for the contestants who made it through:

Burnell – :)
    Curtis – :roll:
    Devin – :D
    Lazaro – :|
    Paul – :|

Amber – :)
    Angie – :)
    Candice – :D
    Kree – :D
    Janelle – :|

I somehow like this talent field not as much as I love Season 11 one (the season to beat) though but it is pretty kinda diverse (sure there is no rock but I guess it is fine). :)

• tewence says:

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!!!! somebody else gets it, thank God. i don’t understand everyone freaking out about lazaro. yes, i feel bad for the kid, but his voice leaves MUCH to be desired. i would trade him and paul out for johnny keyser and bryant tadeo. but alas, the top 10/12 is never made up of ALL of the most talented contestants on the show.

• Julie says:

I don’t get the thing with Lazaro either, he cannot sing clearly, no enunciation, very breathy, really not pleasant to listen to. Nick was robbed, in my view.

7. Kristi says:

So happy with the results (with the exception of Curtis…..ugh, enough said). The right girls made it through. Candice is so amazing!!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Curtis, ugh – agreed.

• Annie says:

Curtis, ugh – agreed.

• tewence says:

i cannot deal with curtis, either. i have a bad feeling he will be around for a loooong time unfortunately.

• Tom22 says:

Some people must like him. I’m not certain why. Contestants grow in many ways and maybe he can grow to be more comfortable in his own skin like Burnell had his own different transformation. I did find Curtis’s jumping up and down on the couch kind of endearing and it was so over the top wacky I don’t think that part could have been contrived…(I guess it could be gloating ? (I’m being mean with that) ) . There is an endearing guy in there some place if he can put his guard down. That comment the other night about never liking being “Jr” and feeling like he didn’t have his own name, but suddenly looking at it has half full “~ the way Ryan Seacrest says it ~” was nice moment of candor and vulnerability. for me… he probably mean nothing of it and it just came out… and we got to see a little about him.

On a more serious note though, I really don’t like the grace of the way he develops a theme with runs that foreshadows and completes resolves , toys, then delivers a few phrases later, that blues singers really should have. I didn’t feel that with Joshua ledet either. I heard Johnny Lee Hooker play live so many times as well as 15 minute Jams seeing the Dicky Betts and the Allaman brothers live that I have pretty high expectations of improvisational music and find runs , even in short songs, should pay service to devices of pattern and variation etc. Candice and Kree have a deep intuitive grasp of what I’m fond of. (as did , believe it or not, the 16 year old Jessica Sanchez, and of course, more than anyone ever on the show, Haley Reinhart)

8. Marta says:

My night would be a hole helluva lot satisfying if Nick were there. In Curtis, Lazaro, or Paul’s place. Doesn’t matter is the slightly…ok- so definitely Curtis. Any chance ya’ll think he’s the mysterious #6 guy?

• asherlev1 says:

GOSH YES. I so hope he is. But I will be torn if he’s up against Breanna. Well, not TORN, since I love Nick a whole darn lot, but I also like Breanna. But also I’d be scared that he would lose against her.

• marie says:

But the sixth guy and the sixth gal are doing a sing-off strictly for an 11th spot on the tour, not to appear on the TV show and compete for the win.

• Mary says:

I did not realize that, it is only for the tour? I don’t understand why they would bother having the public choose. Why not just pick one if we are never going to see them again unless they are on the tour.

• marie says:

Who know why; they are always tinkering with various aspects of the show. But yes, that’s what Ryan announced, the extra spot is only for the tour, not the tv show. Unless they pull a last-minute surprise and let that person participate in the tv competition anyway.

• Mary says:

I think there is going to be a twist and they get to compete, if the public chooses the right contestant – meaning female because we all know they want a female to win. It makes no sense to have a sing off and then the winner is gone for 3 months (this isn’t X-factor-Melanie) and then expect the public to care about them. If that is the case, instead of Nigel and Company throwing them under the bus , it will be on the bus instead.

• trishdish2001 says:

I’m sad Nick isn’t there! I wanted him in replace of Lazaro! Maybe he will be in the sing off?? If he is too bad he won’t be on the show!

• Jim says:

I bet the 6ths are Elijah and Aubrey

• Amy says:

ew. But but butttt….I was so happy to see him go!! Asian, Bieber with an ego to match, and the “single guy-little girl vote” so overplayed. When he didn’t make it I was thinking..wow, maybe Idol demographic is skewing older this year…but you could be right on that. I was thinking and hoping Nick was it…but probably not. I think Nick hadn’t peaked yet…he has more in him like he showed on Hollywood week. I do think he hadn’t yet connected personality/charisma-wise (always part of what gets you voted in, I think) with the audience. He may not have had the “hot” factor.
        And as for Aubrey..meh…she also doesn’t interest me. There were only 4 girls I am interested in and that is Kree, Candice, Amber and Angie. They are all going to bring us something good to watch. Also loving little Burnell and Devin. And now that he’s in…interested in if Lazaro will evolve.

I miss P2 lately. He was so deliciously good-looking (forgive me) and so entertaining, different and I enjoyed him each & every week….and that’s from me, not a Dave Matthews fan (I didn’t even “get” the comparison) or lover of his type of music…he won me over right away and I loved him every week after. Not that he was my favorite Idol of all time, (certainly one of them)…I just recall last year was SO good. I also don’t like any “girl” slant…I just love when there is an interesting and super-talented mix.

All that said…from what there was…America got it mostly right last night, as they usually, mostly do on Idol. Though personally, I’d have chosen Nick over Curtis. It may have been the judges over-hyping their positive spin of Curtis “giving America something is neeeesds right now!!”, playing to what they say is the main demo of this show…bible-belt (nothing against it at all, just stating what I’ve read about Idol) America.

• CAM says:

Yes…totally bummed about Nick.

• soundscene says:

Yeah, Nick was the one I was actively rooting for. He’s got the most interesting voice out of the guys. Nigel & Co. really must not have wanted him to advance; the judges probably had their bad comments written before the first dress rehearsal. The fact that Lazaro made it through with his consistently wobbly vocals just annoys me.

• Julie says:

Nick easily the best of the males, and my overall favourite – seriously, no Nick but Lazaro goes through?! Really??!

9. sg54 says:

I hate to say it, but I cringed when they called Janelle and Curtis. It’s not that they both aren’t talented, I’m just getting attached to the contestants too quickly, and I,’ll really miss Nick and breanna. Besides that though, I’m extremely excited. I mean seriously guys, kree Harrison! Candice Glover and Angela Miller and Amber Holcomb and Devin Velez and Burnell! Dream top 6. I,d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited.

• katillac says:

My exact sentiments!

• Elizabeth says:

Agree with all of this!

• ado4586 says:

That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking as well!

• Amy says:

“I hate to say it, but I cringed when they called Janelle and Curtis…I’ll really miss Nick…. Besides that though….I mean seriously guys, kree Harrison! Candice Glover and Angela Miller and Amber Holcomb and Devin Velez and Burnell! Dream top 6.”
      ^^^That.^^^
      Once again I agree totally with you sg…especially on that Top 6…those are the ones from the top 10 I’m interested in. Not my favorite of Idol years…those were Seasons 7 (will always be) and 11…but certainly worth still tuning in. Still lovin’ the Idol ride, for all it’s mechanisms and love the panel this year best of all 12 seasons to date.

• Amy says:

oh and ps. “honorable mention” to Ryan this year too…he does his job so well and this year looks the best– styled, polished, handsome. I sometimes doubt he’s the “America’s sweetheart” we see on screen each week…didn’t get to be so successful by being Mr. Squeeky clean nice guy…however…he’s got it down and is the perfect host for Idol.

• tewence says:

THANK YOU!!! we are going to get along haha

• Jim says:

I agree – these were my top 6 too. 7 was Paul Jolly so I am pretty happy.

10. Owen says:

Okay, good, let’s all hope that Amber has now got Whitney out of her system…

11. Christina says:

No wildcard, huh

12. Frustrated in NY says:

No real surprises I hope Breanna is in the wildcard sing off. I did not care for this format,
    it dragged out to long and was anti climatic, but I did enjoy them singing. Best performances tonight were Kree and Candice. I am so glad a couple of the girls went uptempo. I hope Curtis goes home first I really do not like his style of singing.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Kree and Candice obviously get top accolades, but I feel like Burnell is on the verge of giving us some Joshua Ledet-level performances. I just hope he can learn to move around a little bit, because his tone is gorgeous.

• The Beach says:

Totally agree about Kree and Candice. They seem to be a few notches above all the rest. I disagree though about Burnell. In his upper register his tone is as thin as tissue paper.

• Ty says:

Burnell does tend to come off as a bit… sedated, even slurred at times. He’s just the opposite of hyper anything.

• Mary says:

I like Burnell but but I do not think he is anywhere near Joshua level. Maybe he will surprise me, but I actually listen to him with my eyes close. I cannot understand why some of the singers always swing the arms, it is distracting.

• Yvonne says:

Curtis is okay. It just bugs me when others compare him to Joshua. And I’m going to need both Curtis and Burnell to stop singing anything that Joshua sang previously.

• Meme says:

I don’t think there is any guy there this year who could give a Joshua Ledet performance … sorry!

• Keith says:

It’s not a wildcard singoff.It’s for a spot on the tour, not the show

13. HereComesMongo says:

What a terrible production tonight. Anti climactic, awkward and treacle-y. Right down to petulant terd Charlie blurting out “you tell us!”

Paul Jolley better sneak his guitar carefully into next week’s liveshow. Nigel will cut a bitch if he so much as smells a set of Ernie Balls.

• forrest says:

The format I’m sure was to minimize contact with the eliminated contestants – no hugging the judges, no extended interviews, no more Charlie. I agree with the producer’s choice of formats considering the bad aura charlie left with the previous show. Just sayin’.

• susela says:

It seemed as if the whole awkward set-up was designed to keep Charlie Askew away from a microphone.

• forrest says:

EXACTLY! That’s why they pay Ryan the big bucks to keep the show moving and in this instance, keep Charlie and the others ‘done and gone’ as soon as possible with the night’s proceedings. Trainwreck averted

14. Owen says:

Hey, has there ever been a time when six out of the top ten contestants were people of color? That’s pretty great.

• trishdish2001 says:

Too bad it will be (white gal) Kree Harrison getting the title!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!!

• xx says:

Nah, Paul’s still there. If Lazaro can find a note, maybe him. Don’t count the cute boring white guys out yet…
        I’d really like to see Kree over Candice in the finale. Would take the other way, but since Kree’s done Grace Potter and Susan Tedeschi, she wins my soul.

• Trouty Mouth says:

Lazaro’s not white though; he’s from Cuba.

• Name That Tune says:

Bat he is cute. Cute enough to get some juices flowing in the ladies. He Wouldn’t be the first Hispanic male of Cuban descent to do that.

• xx says:

Huh, I didn’t notice. I guess the Great White Hope is Jolley…I really hope he doesn’t win. He’s fine for a 10-6 range guy, but would make one crappy winner.

• Jim says:

Don’t get your juices too much in an uproar ladies – I think Lazaro, Paul, Devin, and Curtis are all gay. Burnell I am not sure of but don’t think so. Take it from a gay man.

• 5talentgirl says:

@ Jim

I don’t think you’re right at all. Lazaro, Curtis and Devin are committed Christians. Their manner may be more ‘gentle’ but it doesn’t mean they are gay.

• Jim says:

There are gay Christians.

• Yvonne says:

Kree Harrison sings like a person of color with that strong beautiful voice of hers so—bad example, LOL.

• james says:

why? dont judge people by the color of their skin. you’re racist

• Owen says:

Yes, James, since we don’t live in a racist America at all, this kind of thing doesn’t have to be celebrated. My bad.

• Pedro Guida says:

Your celebrating it is perpetuating it.

We should just be happy /sad good /bad singers went through.

The idea of a white person being lefting out so they could fill a race quota is as prespoterous as

• Owen says:

Yes, cause that’s EXACTLY what happened. And please don’t expect me to believe your real name is Pedro Guida, you obviously scared little white person. And watch your grammar.

• Dayrah says:

Seriously. Think about if someone had said that same thing celebrating whites getting through. It’s racist however you look at it. Celebrate the singing, even the personalities, not the skin color. Ridiculous.

• Alex says:

I agree! If someone had cheered that six white people, say, got through, that person would be trashed right and left. Yet Owen barely gets called on his racist comment.

• jason says:

Probably because the judges are three African Americans and there is no tie to rock on the judges panel!

• Dayrah says:

I always thought Mariah Carey was white until I saw this show. Well I guess she’s only 1/4 black, now that I look it up.

• Julie says:

Why does it matter what colour they are? Who goes through should be based on talent and ability, colour should not come into it.

15. opus says:

Absolutely horrible that Breanna and Aubrey didn’t make the top ten, though the five girls that did make it are all good to excellent (GOOOO Candace!!!!!). The guy’s top five is much worse, as was intended.

• Connie Dever says:

I also feel it is unfortunate that Aubrey did not make the finals in place of the blonde country singer….Aubrey is one of the better singers in the competition and I don’t think we really got to see all she can do…..Hope she get in on the sing off …or possibly the judges will bring her back, especially after all of their praising comments….

• scooby says:

It’s Aubrey’s and Breanna’s own fault for not picking better songs. They both have the voices and the looks to be stars. It felt like it was purely a song problem. Breanna’s put me to sleep with album filler and she did that weird arm gesture for a song that wasn’t big enough to warrant it. No way was that Breanna’s A game, and I’m sad for her because she’s sooo much better than that. Aubrey’s song barely sounds in tune when Fergie sings it because it’s just one where pitch seems wobbly in the chorus no matter what you do. Autotune and everything, it’s still gonna be wonky. I think people thought that was her. Didn’t help that the beginning of the song wasn’t solidly in her range. She’s the good girl version of Rihanna with a better voice. The public would love her with the right material, just look at her stuff on Youtube.

• 5talentgirl says:

Yeah, I thought the same; the song choice let her down. She was my favourite of the night with ‘I bust the windows out your car’ and she has so much charisma going for her…Hope she CAN come back next year.

• Jessica says:

I 100% agree. Aubrey’s song choice was horrible! Breanna’s was really boring. It was very disappointing to me b/c I really liked them.

16. Trish says:

“And your new American Idol Season 12 is……KREE HARRISON!!!!!!

17. marie says:

CAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDIIIIIIICCCCCEEEE!!!!!

and

KRRRRREEEEEEE!!!!!

(and kinda Devin!)

• trishdish2001 says:

I love all those three with Kree being my favorite!!!

• deedee says:

Hahahaha, that’s how I feel, too. I’d also sneak in a: (and kinda Amber) because I think her potential is huge. Candice and Kree are monsters, though. Can’t decide who I love better.

• marie says:

Yes, definitely, kinda Amber too. She is only 18 and does have loads of potential. We might see a gratifying improvement arc with Amber.

• Amy says:

deedee…ITA.
        Kree started out my personal favorite…because she’s just my kind of singer…emotional somethin’ somethin’ ya can quite describe but you can feel. I think I’m “Camp Keith” on that kind of personal taste. I still give my own personal edge (by a smidge) to her…just love to hear her sing and put her flava’ to a song.
        That said…Loved Candice from the start too, and there is no denying her talent. She’s maybe even been “cleaner”, as in the most flawless…I close my eyes and listen ( how I really judge the voices sometimes, without any visual distraction…like listening on the radio or a recording) and she’s a pro, sounds like a recording artist NOW. I’d have no problem with a Candice win.
        And Amber….is this year’s dark horse…quietly comin’ up from behind, making herself known…she is GOOD. And sweet and likeable. All the top 4 girls are. (Angie has bankable talent, particularly her writing.)

• marie says:

I’ve done the same, listened to Candice with my eyes closed, and yes, just as Melinda Doolittle did (well, Melinda WAS a professional backup singer), she most decidedly sounds like a pro already.

• Mary says:

I agree those are my top three. I actually like Kree a little more, because I enjoy her style of music more than Candice, but I wouldn’t be upset if any of these three win.

• The Beach says:

You’ll get no argument here. I was so happy to see Kree step out of the country zone and go for something more bluesy and gritty…and do it wonderfully. It showed her versatility. Also happy that Devin showed he could sing an up tempo number very well.

18. lizzieB says:

What the heck is Jolley doing there instead of NIck????? O_O

19. Natalie says:

Where is Elijah? I really didn’t feel any of the guys that went through deserved to get far except devin. I loved Elijah and devin. I thought the guys were just dissapointing. But all my girls made it through;) Candice slayed it, once again.

20. LeahKittyS says:

Woohoo! I got all 5 of my desired girls and 4 out of 5 of my preferred guys! 9 out of 10 overall! Predicting Idol finalists like a boss! In a perfect world, Curtis would have been disqualified on the spot and Nick would have been brought back. But then the guy was so happy for the others who made it in that I stopped being upset about it. Oh yeah! This is gonna be good!

• MamaLis says:

Leah you are exactly right! You wrote my post for me! The dude’s been buggin’ me from the beginning but he’s so darn happy and genuinely supportive of everyone – I think I’m over it. That’s too funny!

• LeahKittyS says:

Really? Wow, I’m good at predicting Idol outcomes and blog readers thoughts! :) Good to know I’m not the only one looking forward to what’s coming next. Too many people are trashing the season already. At least wait until the first shock boot to do that, okay?

21. trishdish2001 says:

Sorry Michael but his face when Kree sang, heck all the judges faces when she walked out beats THAT FACE ABOVE!

22. forwarddad says:

Please don’t let Charlie come back.

23. cj bacci says:

I want a Candice Glover cd right now!

24. Billy says:

For some reason I have a strong feeling the final 3 will be Kree, Candace, and Angie…mostly because they received the biggest reaction from the audience…and I will be totally fine with that outcome if that happened :-)

• marie says:

Curtis kind of reminds me of that smug Michael Lynche from a few sessions back. (Ugh, sorry I reminded you of him – sorry I reminded ME of him!)

• Miscellaneopolan says:

If Kree and Candice keep going at the rate they have been, they’ve just GOT to make the Top 3, but I feel like Angie (what happened to Angela?) could lose her place if people like Burnell or Amber continue to improve. Let’s get to watchin’.

• Pedro Guida says:

No way three girls will get there.

Fan girls will get at least one boy to the finale.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Watch that since few of guys seem to have many people into them that the two who do quickly build an extra-large fanbase with nobody else to split with and and it can never be overcome and, irony of ironies, we get an all male finale this year hah.

25. Pat says:

What the hell @ no wildcard. Aubrey, Nick, and Vincent all deserved to sing again.

• mary says:

I loved Vincent and I think American idol ruined his chances of getting his votes with their antics making it seem likes he said something he didn’t and putting that pasted in stupid smile on his face they didn’t do that to anyone but him and also when nicki minaj made that stupid comment about women throwing things at him Vincent sings at my church and some the church people believe what they see I know the stuff was cut and put together but some people don’t nicki minaj should have known this in the first place he said at the auditions he was choir director the older church people are very judgmental and I think American idol ruined his chances. why would they play with his chances they didn’t do this to any one else.

26. HTGRWHOM says:

Girls were as expected and close to as desired here other than Nigel’s Janelle making it over Breanna or Aubrey and, sadly, once Nigel got Candice and Janelle and Angie in you knew there was zero chance for wild card. I think he was worried about Janelle but she made it and that was that. Anyway not too much controversy there other than top 13 with 7 girls is better than the quick cut to 5.
    We really could dump two of the guys and slot in Breanna and Aubrey but Nigel decided to cut yet even faster. 40 to 24 to 13 was fast enough but 40 to 20 to 10 is just stupid. Why does he copy the worst of The Voice and the XFactor?
    Hmm, wait, apparently there is some sort of weird wild card next week, but perhaps only to go on tour and not on the show?? and it’s guy vs girl????
    Some good singers but it seems hard to see any sort of Elise or Haley or Siobhan and so on here.

• marie says:

Yes, what you say is how Ryan said the wild card is going to work.

• Ty says:

Siobahn was NOT in the same class as the other two you listed.

• noa says:

no, but Carly and Crystal are. i think Kree will be that person this season. she just sang a Susan Tedeschi song on Idol!!! that’s crazy! and a great use of a performance that isn’t up for voting. so now i know she has good taste and musical knowledge, but i’m not worried that she’ll get voted off for an unknown song.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Oh certainly that is true, but she was someone well different from the usual country or ballad.

• Venus says:

The worst of The Voice? The voice has a 2-3 month run, while this show drags on forever. X Factor could go away and who would even remember it/

• Dan says:

I would. Simon Cowbell still haunts me in my nightmares…

• HTGRWHOM says:

teh few little things changed for this season seem to have been modeled a bit on those shows, only borrowing the worst instead of the best aspects of those shows.
        Anyway, all that said, we’ll see what happens in the end. Maybe the girls will do great things as the season goes on.

• 5talentgirl says:

It would have been great to have Breanna, Aubrey and Elijah Liu make it a top 13 – not that I personally really like Aubrey, but I think she is good enough for the live shows.

I liked Siobhan’s wackiness, but she was a mess when she sang most of the time.

27. Ang says:

I wish there was a wild card spot for Breanna to compete on the show. I would have preferred her over Janelle. Too bad Vincent choked last night. His previous performance was the best of the guys that week. I would have preferred him over Curtis or Lazaro.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Wild card for the tour only is super lame. Plus then they are sending someone out on tour without any of the training of the next few weeks. But again once Janelle got in Nigel didn’t give, he was just glad Breanna (and Aubrey) were gone and he doesn’t care if some much weaker guys are in since it just lets his favs have a touch more of a chance.

28. Dan says:

I am going to be honest and say that when Kree Freaking Harrison started singing, I jumped out of my seat and began to bow to the TV.

29. Christy says:

The Top 10 was about on point, except a few choices:

Breanna should have made it over Janelle.
    Nick should have made it over Paul.

Other than that, I’m OK with the Top 10. I’ll admit Curtis can sing, but his stage presence, facial expressions and demeanor are already annoying! I’d probably have preferred Vincent over him.

30. marie says:

YES!!! Michael you are so right. Watching Keith react to the truly standout performances is one of the real treats this year. That man obviously eats, sleeps, breathes, lives and dies for good music. I think I’m falling in love with him a little (shhh, don’t tell my wife!). And Candice certainty won that look of unadulterated ecstasy from our cutest judge fair and square.
    I cannot wait for that performance to show up on YouTube so I can grab it for my iPod.
    I am loving the format changes this year that bring us less filler and more songs from the contestants. I’d absolutely rather see a show like tonight’s than some fluff footage of one of the kids slicing bologna behind a deli counter or milking a cow. I watch Idol for the singing (and this year, for the judges too), so the more singing, the better, as far as I’m concerned.

31. EVPandHC says:

Anyway, I have 8 of my Top 10 through. I wouldn’t have advanced Curtis and Janelle. I would’ve replaced them with Nick and Aubrey.

And thank you, Michael, for the tears comment. Can’t people see she was over emotional? We’re all different. We can’t be as composed as Kree.

• Joe says:

8 of my 10 got through. I wouldn’t have advanced Janelle but I also would not have put Lazaro through. He’s not a good singer and his backstory is why he’s still in the competition. Would have much rather seen Nick or Vincent take Lazaro’s spot by a mile. Are we going to prop Lazaro up to the finale on poor vocals because he stutters when he doesn’t sing? Seriously? If he beats out Kree or Candace it will be an utter low for this show.

32. LeahKittyS says:

Actually, you want to know something really weird right now? All those “Glee” promos have gotten “Footloose” stuck in my head. Now I’m picturing the Top 10 going to a party and dancing to “Footloose” to celebrate! (Man, I must be overtired…)

33. Dan says:

When Janelle went through and Breanna didn’t, I yelled at my TV and yelled, “THIS IS BANANAS!!”

34. Heidi says:

It needs to be said: Janelle is dreadful! I also find her cutesy down home forced country shtick to be extremely irritating. I am getting bad Kellie Pickler vibes with this one and just like Pickler she’ll be around longer than she deserves to be while better singers are cut. The judges and Nigel destroyed Breanna this week by giving her a terrible singing position and a bad critique. She was quite the opposite of forced, thank you very much Nicki!

• Maggie says:

she reminds me a bit of RaeLynn, from Blake’s team on Season 2 of The Voice. Super cutesy, super “country” and super annoying

• Joe says:

Is Janelle putting on the rube act or is she really a rube because that’s how she’s coming off.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think Janelle is awful. I don’t know what happened to her? She started out with such promise in Hollywood, but she definitely does not sound great on the big stage. It’s odd. And yes, she does sound forced. I could have lived without her in the Top 10 as well.

• Danni says:

I thought Breanna’s vocal this week was truly gorgeous. I listened to it again after the show and I felt the same way. Not forced at all in my opinion. At least we can all agree that Janelle has been nothing short of terrible.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t find Janelle “dreadful” – just a bit dull. And Kellie Pickler is anything but dull!

• MC says:

I agree, but Janelle started out so well in this thing. I’m disappointed in her recent performances. I think she’s a little intimidated by the other girls, but I would love for her to prove the naysayers wrong just once before she gets cut.

35. Name That Tune says:

The onleavesly surprise here is that Curtis Made it through. That is the power of taking itto Church.
    My sense is that Lozaro will be with us to the very end. Top 4 and the real underdog to steal P2’s crown. He has a certain charisma – like Ricky Ricardo. Even though Nigel and company want a girl to win, he just might steal some girl’s thunder.
    Which leaves Kree Angela and Candice falling just short of the mark.

• deedee says:

You’ve been reading my mind, Name That Tune! Every time I see Lazaro, I see Ricky Ricardo. They’re practically twins! I would love it if one of the Ford Commercials played up the resemblances in this cast. Lazaro would be Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz), Devin – Tin Tin, and Kree – Kate Middleton. Wouldn’t that be a hoot?
      P.S. I don’t think Lazaro can knock off Candice or Kree. He’s nowhere remotely near their league.

36. no dawg says:

How is it that the three good-looking, ‘marketable’ ones (Elijah, Aubrey and Breanna) – according to the judges – did not get enough votes? Does that mean the judges have poor judgement of what people want?

• teatime says:

All 3 of them were not shown until the top 40. That is one issue. It is a huge help to be a contestant that has been highlighted throughout the auditions and Hollywood. If I am not mistaken, Kree and Amber are the only ones who made it thru that were not high lighted before top 40.

• The Beach says:

If I’m remembering correctly, they almost cut Kree early on but gave her another chance to sing something different and she blew their minds.

37. MB says:

The only guy I liked was Nick. Would have prefered him instead of Curtis who I can’t stand. I will be voting for a girl to win this year without a doubt.

38. Sam says:

Happy with the girls – I probably would have preferred Aubrey over Janelle, but the other four were definites. The boys – hmmm – Curtis can sing, but don’t like the smugness. I don’t think Lazaro is ready for prime time. I would have picked Vincent, Elijah or Nick.
    Is the sing off just for the tour or will the eleventh be added to the mix?

39. Nephtalia says:

It is going to be a Kree vs Angie finale. Angie’s fanbase is pretty strong. The probability for Kree to be the winner 55% and Angie 45%.I would love for it to be Candice vs Kree. I love Amber and wish she made top 4.

40. xx says:

That should be next Taylor Hicks, let alone Kelly Clarkson, unless you’re going to suggest Hicks is the better of the two. The idea of the comparison is that you’re not good enough to be x, and y is better to x, so there’s no way in hell you’re as good as y. Thus we say “not good enough to be x, let alone y.”

• jack says:

Taylor Hicks is a great vocal talent…. nobody in the cast this year comes close, IMO. Kelly is also a great vocalist. Anyone would be so lucky to be as talented as those two. One is a pop singer, the other a blues/soul singer.

• soundscene says:

Yeah, but didn’t you know? We’re supposed to look down on Taylor Hicks because the internet people say so.

• LeahKittyS says:

Well, forget that. I never look down on Taylor Hicks. Or Lee DeWyze. Or any Idol finalist ever (except maybe Corey Clark who’s addicted to lawsuits). Yeah, a lot of their careers never took off, but it took a lot of guts to go on national television week after week and sing for millions, whether they were there for a legitimate shot at music or they were just fame-whoring. There is something special and unique and dare I say magical about these people that separates them from other people making music (or “music”) today; they are the link between the music industry and the human world.

• jack says:

Oh yea, I forgot! I’ll just pretend talent doesn’t count and only like the nicely “marketable” ones. ;)

• xx says:

Taylor Hicks seems to be somebody who makes wads of cash by being very good at something he loves- we should all be so lucky. That being said, if you asked the producers and contestants whether they’d sooner have a successful Vegas act or be an international pop star, a lot of them would probably go with the pop star.

41. Timmah says:

This has got to be the dullest top 10 ever. When does The Voice start?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I think it’ll still be worth watching, but I agree that it’s lacking a bit of edge. No rockers, jazz singers, or people who make a habit of going uptempo. That’s part of the reason why it’s a shame Breanna was cut. I think she could have brought some attitude to the stage.

• Dan says:

Kree seems to do some rock in her youtube channel, but she may not sing that type of music in the show. Hope she does!!!!

• Timmah says:

If Breanna had made it, it would be worth watching. I’m not so sure now. And what happened to the rockers? There were none to be found in the top 40 that I can recall.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m still upset about that alt rock chick being cut somewhere along the way, the one who did Folsom Prison Blues and You Oughta Know in her audition. I would have voted for her.

• Trouty Mouth says:

She was one of my favourites from the auditions, and then they didn’t show anything of her during Hollywood Week and then just randomly cut her.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Yeah, not one, gonna have to check The Voice to get that.

• The Beach says:

I’m afraid you’re right and that this will definitely be the season of The Ballad (yawn).

• Justin says:

I wouldn’t call Kree or Candice “dull.” You need your ears checked. And what makes you say The Voice will be amazing? Most of their contestants are mediocre.

• Justin says:

Also its miles better than Season 9’s top 10.

• Timmah says:

No. Season 9 had interesting contestants like Crystal, Siobahn, Didi. This season they’re all cookie-cutter country and r&b clones.

• Owen says:

Season 9 had Crystal. That’s about it…

• Danni says:

Siobhan was a one trick pony who kept relying on her scream every song. I didn’t like Didi at all. Season 9 was ruined for me when Lily, Alex and Katelyn all got kicked off before the Top 12. I didn’t even like Crystal that much to be honest, though she clearly should have won out of the 12 remaining.

• Nedsdag says:

It’s sad the people are still talking about the Season 9 castoff trio of Lily, Alex, and Katelyn. They got kicked off because other singers received more votes. Move on. Also, I find it funny how people are knocking this season’s Top Ten when last season people were knocking the Top Ten for having no female singers of color. It just goes to show that you can’t please everyone.

• jason says:

The reason people are still talking about Lily and Katelynn was because they were better then most remaining contestants! Nobody remembers the ones that beat them in voting that week! Proof is people are still talking about them! This is the worst top 10 in years! Hands down! No marketable contestants! No originality or creativity!

• Justin says:

I wouldn’t call Kree cookie cutter, and Candice is one of the best singers we have ever had. And Angie is neither country or R&B. Try again.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Not really. Not when the best doesn’t seem half as exciting as that season.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Oops somehow I read that as referring to Season 10. But even for season 9 I don;t know there was a mix with with Didi, Crystal, Siobhan, etc. We’ll see though. (Crystal was good but I was never so blown away by her as many though, maybe because her type sang at the local college coffee shop like every single night and some of them seemed awfully close to what she did, awfully awfully close.)

• Justin says:

You have been negative about this season from day 1. Give it a rest. This season is also more interesting than Season 6. There was only Melinda and later Jordin.

• Venus says:

March 25th. Glad somebody is tired of recycled songs. This show is tired. Thought removing JLo would help, but there only 5 good singers in this top 10.

42. Margaret says:

Bummed about Aubrey, she’s a friend of my sister’s and America really didn’t get to see enough of what she can do. Aubrey has a bigger voice than the songs she chose for the top 40 and top 20 shows, I would have loved to have seen her really let the vocals loose. I hope she makes the tour, it sounds like from the posters above that people were surprised that she didn’t make the top 5 girls.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Aubrey was definitely better than Janelle.

• HTGRWHOM says:

Yeah, but it’s the voting demographic of who is still left voting for the show and although TPTB liked Aubrey they love the Janelle-type. Too bad the WC is tour only, what sense is that? Mayeb fear someone cut could knock off a fav of the producer’s?

• HTGRWHOM says:

Yeah, it’s a shame. Any other season with the top 6 plus a WC I’m sure she would have made it and many think she should have made it as is.

• Mary says:

Well obviously not enough people to get her through. She does have a good voice but I would pick Breanna over her.

• lemon says:

I’ve heard some of her You Tube stuff, and she can really sing. She picked the wrong song last week. She should have picked something emotional, with a wide range, and a few soaring power notes. She will get signed soon though. I expect her to get the tour spot.

• Consuela says:

I agree with you. I hope she choose something powerful for the sing off…she deserves to be in the top ten def. over Janelle. The judges comments pretty much eluded to that….I wished someone could get word to her advising her to pull out all the stops….at the least she deserves this spot on tour….although I am somewhat disturbed about prior comments eluding to Nigel wanting Janelle in and not Aubrey or Brianna. Stupid politics of the business….Gooo Aubrey you deserve to go on tour…

43. Gale says:

You are right, Michael – what an awkward framework this was. I wish Nigel would use his powers for good (such as revising the voting system) instead of tinkering around with things that don’t need it. Some random thoughts –I hope Kree wins. Candace is good, but I believe Kree has something very special. Angie needs a new hairstyle, please. Lazaro was just bad tonight. Curtis must have studied at the Jacob Lusk School of Insufferability. Amber sang a trite, predictable song. I thought Janelle was strong tonight. Devin will be in the top 4.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Here, here. *I* had Angie’s hairstyle.
      In 1985.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I can’t quite pinpoint the reason, but there’s something very old-fashioned about Angela’s hairstyle. Maybe it’s the bigness, or the big swooping sideswipe of hair across the forehead. It, together with Lazaro’s puffy pants, is the most perplexing fashion choice of the Season.
        Is there a chance she could bring that haircut back? Maybe she could inspire girls around the country to walk into salons and ask for an ‘Angie’.

• HTGRWHOM says:

What’s old is new again. Time for greasy flat hair grunge/hipster era to be over.

• Amy says:

re: Angie’s hair..I said same on an earlier thread…it’s like a bad yearbook photo circa 1975. (darcy…you’re kind, or..lol…not old enough…to give her that extra decade. ;-) ) I feel a styling coming on….and we know on Idol, this is always hit or miss…we’ll see, but she does look old-fashioned…and not in a cute, retro, quirky way. Just dated.

44. deedee says:

“and that a dude whose last name is a species of bird didn’t get swapped out for the guy whose last name is a homonym with the first name of a famous actor whose surname is Diamond Phillips
    I had to work this one out. Haha!
    Must say, I hated the weird format tonight. It was low energy and anticlimactic. Every time Ryan revealed a name, there was … a smattering of applause from the holding room audience. It was like watching a local contest broadcast on a public-access cable channel. What is Nigel doing to the show this year??

• darcy's evil twin says:

yea, that was odd. I’m sure it was exciting for the studio audience for the big door on stage to open and reveal the winner, but for those of us at home it was dull, dull, dull.

• marie says:

You know, I kind of liked it. AND we got to hear ten more individual performances instead of a canned group number and some sleep-inducing footage of the kids working at convenience stores or the like.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, I LOVED the music part. I went to out to dinner with a friend so I missed the first part of the program. Walked in, turned on Idol, and was shocked to find out they were singing tonight.

• deedee says:

The singing was fine, although I do prefer to leave the serious singing for competition purposes. Plus, I love the cheeseball group numbers. Yes, I’m an Idol purist – what can I say. And you’re right, there were no video packages with sheep herding and paint store assisting! Now, see, I like those too because I need to feel like I know the contestants. Idol is so good at making us invested in the group, and a bit of that is missing for me this year. A little too much *serious business* and not enough feel-good fluff. I’m hopeless, I know. :-/

• marsaili says:

I totally agree with you deedee, I love all of that stuff, too! I didn’t care for the backstage stuff, but I was so excited when they opened the doors and the crowd went wild, what an experience for all of them! I can’t imagine what that felt like!

• The Beach says:

Can I agree with both you and DET and not sound schizophrenic? I thought the backstage stuff was pretty boring but I loved getting 10 unexpected songs.

45. Holly says:

I would be happy if I could just watch Keith the rest of the season, while occasionally hearing someone sing in the background. Mmm Mmmm Mmmm, what a hunk!

• marie says:

(Yum, where do I sign up for that?)

• deedee says:

And he cried tonight, Holly. There was a streak of glisten on his face near his nose after Angie’s number. *sigh* sensitive men with healthy hair are so sexy.

• Zorn says:

Yeah that dyed and flat-ironed collection of plugs and sprays is really “healthy”.

• deedee says:

Huh? Say wha? Plugs?? Naww, can’t be. I see highlights, I see flat-iron, but no plugs, and no spray. Keith’s hair isn’t sprayed stiff and immobile like Gene Simmons’, or Theresa Caputo’s helmet. Keith’s hair is silky. And if he really does have plugs, then they are well done, highlighted, flat-ironed, silky plugs.
          I am spending too much time pondering Keith Urban’s hair. :-|

• Holly says:

I would love to “ponder” Keith Urban’s hair! And a few other things! Too bad Nicole Kidmann has all the fun…..

46. Nancy says:

i feel like not having a wild card is going to take some of the suspense away from the first few single eliminations. i mean, usually its a crushing blow to the person who finishes 11th and just misses out on the tour spot and i feel like the ideal of potentially losing that spot theoretically should push the contestants who aren’t front runners to do something memorable. im interested to see how these first few weeks play out.

• deedee says:

Yeah, I’ve been saying the same since Nigel announced that there would only be a top 10. He’s just bound and determined to cut out all drama and suspense from the show this year.

47. Brandon says:

Can we just hurry and get these dudes off? Because the girls really are amazing and deserve to be the top 5. And WHERE IS MY WILDCARD? That’s my favorite part of this round of the show. Wah wah.

48. darcy's evil twin says:

I must say I was a bit surprised at Lazaro going through instead of Nick. I was disappointed that Janelle went thought instead of Breanna, and I like Country music – but Janelle is a little dull, IMO.
    I have only watched the second half of the program so I didn’t hear any of the guys sing. But I saw the girls, and Kree and Candice were amazing.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Nah, Lazaro was a shoe-in. His likeability factor is off the charts. And yes, that does count when most of the boys are mediocre anyway. Anyone instead of Janelle would have been better. There is nothing interesting about her voice or personality. I don’t get that one…. Hopefully, she’ll be gone soon.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Charlie’s likeablity factor was alleged to be off the charts and we see where that got us, LOL.
        Just thought Nick was the better choice than Lazaro. I think what annoys me about Lazaro is (putting on flame retardant suit and preparing to be called racist/insensitive/a “hater”/whatever) half the time I can’t understand what the heck he is singing. Why is Devin singing in Spanish? I understand Devin! Lazaro should sing in Spanish.
        I just can’t pinpoint it but Janelle does nothing for me. I didn’t care for her on previous seasons, either. On the other hand I really liked Breanna and she’s exactly the kind of singer I normally do NOT care for – I’ve never been wild about that Norah Jones-ey, jazzy/bluesy type of singer. But I found Breanna infinitely more interesting than Janelle.

• The Beach says:

Oh, I love a jazzy/bluesy type singer. I could listen to Diana Krall all day (and have).

• marie says:

I’ve been listening to the MP3 I grabbed off YouTube of Candice’s Ordinary People (ok, yes, I admit I am obsessed with that performance). Candice has a true jazz coloring and inflection to her voice; she could sing jazz very, very easily and naturally. And she can do soul, too, and most likely blues. Old-fashioned, all this? Call it that if you like; I say classic, timeless. And a whole lot more interesting, to me, than 90% of the pop trash we hear these days (did you catch Mariah’s new movie song playing as background at one point in the show? THAT voice, singing THAT fluff? A waste, really). I’m prepared to be attacked for this statement, but even the excellent Haley Reinhart, whom I adored on the show and who chose excellent songs on air, disappointed me with her album of lightweight pop (don’t bother to throw the bricks, I’ve ducked for cover). I surely hope that when it’s time for her to cut an album, Candice chooses her material as well as she has on the show so far.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Well, I’m not gonna lie – the enunciation of his celebration song was so bizarre that I turned the channel…. It is a problem – but I hope he can work on it. I think Lazaro has potential. I do wonder if there is enough time to nurture it though? Interesting is the perfect word for Breanna, it is exactly what Janelle is not.

49. Maria says:

Nick’s out? Audrey’s out? Maria’s out.

• Maria says:

*Aubrey.
      Also, Lazaro over Vincent? Janelle over Breanna? Really, America?

• Name That Tune says:

Lazaro has a following. He’s not a great singer, but people like him. I would hate to see him last longer than Devin or Burnell or even Curtis (who can sing) but once people get attached to a cute guy common sense goes out the window.

50. Ellen says:

I want to know who is actually voting for Curtis??? Cut him and give Breanna his spot.

• LeahKittyS says:

Who’s voting for Curtis? The same people who voted for Jacob Lusk, that’s who. Don’t worry, dude has zero chance of winning. And he may come off as a jerk, but the others, especially the female contestants, seem to love him. So we’ll see. (I never voted for Jacob, and I don’t think I’ll ever vote for this one.)

• Teeny Bikini says:

“Who’s voting for Curtis?” Good question. Curtis is way more annoying than Jacob – and that’s pretty hard to do. I hope he’s gone first. Fingers crossed. I mean really. How did he get through???!!! Ugh.

• MamaLis says:

Ya but remember, I don’t think he is a jerk. Annoying as all heck, indeed. But I think he’s a good guy. Jerks are not the first on their feet for each and every stellar female singer in the competition.

• MC says:

I like Curtis as a singer and I doubt he’s a terrible person. He really enjoys and appreciates music. The judges and other contestants seem to like him. That means more to me than anonymous haters on the internet or cranky recappers.

• HTGRWHOM says:

I dont think Curtis is who you cut to give Breanna a spot there are ‘better’ candidates to serve that purpose. (I will admit his falsetto was horrendous tonight but he wasn’t bad),

• Name That Tune says:

The same people who attend gospel services every Sunday at your local church. He’s got a built in following. He just has to keep taking it to Church and he will be with us for a while. Probably longer than Paul Jolley.