Switched at Birth Creator Talks Groundbreaking All-American Sign Language Episode

Switched at BirthOn Monday’s Switched at Birth (airing at 8/7c), the underrated ABC Family drama will deliver something never before seen on mainstream TV: an episode told entirely in American Sign Language (ASL).

Below, creator Lizzy Weiss previews how the groundbreaking feat came to be, the challenges it brought and the romantic drama that unfolds as the Carlton students fight to save their school.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | This is something you’ve wanted to do for a while. How did it finally become a reality?
The network called and said, “We thought it’d be really fun if you did it. Do you want to try?” I said, “We totally want to try!” We talked about it in the room [and said], “Let’s do it.” We always thought we would do it later. The writers and I always thought, “Someday. Someday.” We were more focused on, “OK, what’s the story we’re going to do next week?” Once the network said, “How about now?” we said, “Great! We have room for it in this cycle because we’re telling a story already about Carlton closing, and that’s probably a great time to do it.”

TVLINE | How did the cast react? Especially among those who are hearing, did they think, “Oh, I’m going to get a vacation”?
Ha! [Laughs] Actually, the opposite. They were really nervous at first because before any of them knew what the story was going to be, they assumed it would just mean a lot more signing for them. As it turns out, it wasn’t more signing for them. The story we ended up telling is more a story about deaf students, so most of the signing in the episode is by people who are fluent already. We have some scenes, of course, with the parents, but less than normal because it’s a one-story episode. It’s the first time we’ve ever done an episode in which there’s only an A-story. We don’t cut away to a parent story or to one of the girls having a different story or to a Toby story. It’s just the story of the kids trying to save the school.

TVLINE | And how did the deaf or hard of hearing cast react? You have so many new actors this season who know ASL.
It was really exciting because a lot of the kids had been extras. So we knew them and they were background and we’d seen them audition for roles. We always need one line here or there. Like Matthew [played by Daniel Durant] in the Valentine’s Day episode, he bought a rose from Bay and Natalie. We saw him perform. We saw a little bit of what he could do, and the kid who plays Cody and, of course, Natalie [Stephanie Nogueras]. This is an opportunity where we said, “We’re going to have to bump those characters up. We’re going to need kids who can do more and say more and are a bigger part of this episode.” So they all became a big part of the episode, which was exciting for them and exciting for us. We had an opportunity to spread the love a little bit.

TVLINE | Did you run into any unexpected challenges during this episode?
We ran into a lot of unexpected challenges. The sheer number of people on set… We had double the amount of people because, first of all, it was a really big episode in terms of characters and extras. And then we had to have an interpreter for every deaf actor. So there was just a ton more humans on set. It took a lot more time to shoot a scene because there was interpreting. The director would speak, the interpreters would interpret, the actors would listen. Then they’d ask questions, and we’d have to wait. The director would respond. Just like in any kind of translation with two languages, it took more time. And we had rain. We had budget issues. We had sort of the 40 plagues, and it all came out so beautifully that we felt like it was all meant to be.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????TVLINE | What’s the main story connecting all the characters together in this episode?
It’s about kids pulling together to try to save their school when they find out it’s going to be closed. It’s a very real story. As we know, there’s education-budget issues everywhere. It’s about kids fighting back and saying, “This is important to us, and we’re going to do [it] by any means necessary to save our school.” The stakes are a lot higher for deaf kids than they are for mainstream kids, because a deaf school is a very special place when you’re deaf. It’s a place where everyone speaks your language, everyone understands you. There’s no conversations happening that you cannot be part of just because you can’t hear. For a lot of deaf kids, they feel like if they’re mainstreamed, they walk into the cafeteria and there’s 50 conversations going on they can’t participate in. So they’re forced to stay with only people like them or, in a halting way, teach people their language. So it is very high stakes for deaf kids to lose their deaf school.

TVLINE | Noah and Bay have been outsiders at this school. What’s their stake in this fight?
They’re still outsiders. The whole season is a flip on being an outsider… There’s a lot of pushback from the kids about wanting to keep the space fully deaf, and it’s very controversial. Bay and Noah are in there, fighting for this school to stay open, and at the same time, a lot of the kids don’t even want them there. It happens a lot in all kinds of social movements where there’s conflict about who gets to decide. Who gets to be a part of the movement, and who doesn’t?

TVLINE | How will the Daphne/Noah/Bay/Emmett situation develop?
It’s interesting – you find that when there are good looking, smart, funny, cool guys, the same girls are going to be interested in them. [Laughs] This plays out in an unexpected way. We’re going to play out the reality of what would happen in the next 10 [episodes], as well.

TVLINE | There is a glimpse of a Noah/Daphne kiss in the promo. So is Noah going to be torn between the girls? Or is it more them torn over him?
Noah and Bay have a lot in common. They were both outsiders. They were in a very tiny pilot program together. And Daphne, for him, represents his future. He comes in very scared about becoming deaf, thinking it’s going to be a tragedy. When he meets all the kids, but Daphne in particularly, she’s this amazing, happy, young woman. For him, he’s turning more towards her because it makes him relieved about his future. “If this is being what deaf is, I’m OK with it.” So it’s actually a pretty profound shift. It’s not just any show with two girls fighting over one guy. It’s about a connection, particularly from Noah’s point of view, of he actually needs Daphne, unconsciously, more than he needs Bay.

TVLINE | Is an all-ASL episode something you want to do again in Season 2B?
I don’t know. Certainly not in the next 10 [episodes]. The writers and I have said, it’s been such a fun journey, maybe we can do something else like it. We talked about Moonlighting. They did a black-and-white [episode], they did a Shakespeare, they did a noir. That probably kept things fresh for both the viewers and the cast and the writers. We’ve talked about, hey, maybe we’ll do one a season that is special.

TVLINE | But not necessarily all-ASL?
Maybe. No reason why we wouldn’t do it again, but it whet our appetite to have fun and to try different things.

1. Mick says:

This show is wonderful it makes you think about what separates us and what connects us also it helps the explore a rich and diverse c

2. Elyse says:

love switched at birth! can’t wait for the episode.

3. Allison P says:

I’m so excited for this episode to air! It’s such an interesting concept and I hope they do consider doing it again in later episodes.

4. connie says:

I’m also excited about this episode. I have always loved this show.

5. mia says:

This entire show is groundbreaking. The awareness its brought to the deaf community has been nothing short of fantastic. Its also incredibly well done with awesome writing, stories and acting. Its easily the best thing on tv right now.

6. Spencer says:

I’m really excited about this episode. The scenes without spoken dialogue between deaf characters have always been interesting throughout the show, so this episode sounds really interesting. I really like how this season they have flipped what it’s like to be majority/minority by having hearing kids at Carlton. I think it’s an important lesson for anyone.

7. Marz says:

I don’t watch this show, but that sounds really awesome and I think I’ll tune in to this episode.

8. Midori4 says:

I don’t watch the show but this is amazing! There is a great school in Rochester NY, USA that is for the deaf and they are all so nice and friendly but shy. I’m sure they will be loving this news.

9. Babybop says:

I don’t watch this show, but I might watch this. I love watching people sign. It’s so cool.

10. JBC says:

I have watched this show from the pilot episode and have found it very interesting and well acted. One thing is that you can’t watch this show without your full attention. We get used to that sometimes when we keep a show on and rely on listening while doing something else. If you do that with Switched at Birth you could miss some key storyline because the deaf people could be speaking to each other. I look forward to this episode, should be good.

• Vlada Gelman says:

Very true — the show, especially this episode, requires 100% of your attention. While watching a screener for the episode, I couldn’t even look down at my lunch because I kept missing stuff!

• Lauren says:

I’ve noticed that too – I do other things while I’m watching, and I always miss things and have to rewind them to catch the subtitles. I didn’t realise how little I ‘watched’ the tv when I was watching it before.

• Lynne says:

I definitely agree about having to give the show 100% of your attention. I always go back and forth between things while my tv is on, even during SaB, but when it goes silent, I have to drop everything and rewind for a couple seconds so I can read what is being said. Just shows how much we are preoccupied while watching tv, even while I’m writing this, I have an episode of 7th Heaven playing that I recorded earlier! Lol

11. J says:

Very cool! Just as a heads up, Deaf is capitalized. :)

• jen says:

It CAN be capitalized…depending on if you mean deaf as in physically deaf or Deaf as in culturally…but most people probably don’t know that.

12. Kristoffer says:

Switched at Birth has turned into one of my favorite shows. I have always liked the parts of the show where they are using sign language and you have to pay attention and read the captions – otherwise you are lost, which gives you a TINY glimpse into how difficult it must be to be deaf or hearing impaired and be in situations daily where you are ‘lost’. I think most people take for granted being able to do something as simple as watching/listening to a TV show AND be on the computer. Switched has peaked my interest in learning ASL again… I don’t know anyone that’s deaf or hearing impaired but I have always been fascinated in it. Anyway, can’t wait for the episode!

13. Kristi says:

This is a great show I have watched since the beginning. It makes you realize just how blessed we are to be able to hear. Being a teenage is tough enough as a hearing child. Great show and I hope they realize that and don’t cancel it like they tend to do great shows!

14. Sara says:

I thought Regina/Constance couldn’t sign. So she won’t be in the episode?

15. Plum says:

Love this show, this show always surprises, and I love that it features fully realized grown ups as well. All the characters are fun to watch.

16. Mark says:

I just watched the episode, loved it! Hope they will do more only ASL episodes in the future and that more hearing characters will speak ASL more often.

17. Kristoffer says:

This episode was one of the best I have seen! I hope they do more of these. There were a few times that really hit me – like when Daphne walked into the house and you see everyone running around and she has no clue as to what’s going on… only to realize that she had set the house alarm off. AMAZING episode!

18. Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!|

19. papaka says:

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Cheers!|

20. Anonymous says:

Ahaa, its pleasant discussion on the topic of this paragraph at this place at this blog, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place.|

21. It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this impressive paragraph to increase my experience.