Does Red Widow Make for Good Mourning?

GORAN VISNJIC, RADHA MITCHELLDid Red Widow cause you to shed tears of joy… or something else?

ABC’s newest drama debuted Sunday night at 9/8c and introduced us to Marta (Silent Hill‘s Radha Mitchell), who starts the series as a upperclass wife and mother who has worked hard to distance herself from her father’s  Russian mob life. But when her husband Evan — who’s a little shady but nowhere near as shady as the characters we meet later on — is murdered in their driveway, Marta learns that his business partners were mixed up in the theft a whole lot of expensive cocaine from an international crime boss named Nicholae Schiller (ER‘s Goran Visnjic).

Schiller doesn’t care that Marta and her children are reeling from their loss; he demands that she import a shipment for him. So she asks her father (Rade Serbedzija, 24)  and a family friend (Lee Tergesen, Oz) to show her the criminal ropes, which leads to a botched training run with a customs official. She’s sure that once she fulfills this one task for Schiller, she’ll be free from his control. (We’re thinking that’s not the case.)

Meanwhile, Marta’s brother Irwin (Wil Traval, Australia’s All Saints) is getting his face bashed in while doing prison time for gun possession, her kids aren’t handling their dad’s death well and Marta still doesn’t know the complete truth about her late husband’s business dealings.

Rounding out the cast are Clifton Collins, Jr. (The Event) as the FBI agent investigating Evan’s death and Jaime Ray Newman (CSI: NY) as Marta’s sister, Kat.

Did you think Red Widow was a mourning glory? Will you be back to see how Marta’s mission pans out?

1. James says:

I actually really enjoyed it! It’s just hard to get into a series especially is
    If it may just get cancelled but I was hooked by the second hour. It is worth catching.

2. Patrick Maloney says:

Definitely thought the two episodes get me into the show faster than if just the pilot aired

3. Alichat says:

I can’t decide how I feel about this show. I was expecting that she would make a deal with the FBI guy to collect information for him on Schiller. I knew the plot was that she got into the family business, but I didn’t think it was that she got all in. I don’t know. I find it hard to believe that her husband didn’t tell her in the flash drive video that her brother is the one that screwed all this up. I was glad that she came clean with the supervisor, Bob, (although that kiss was odd) as that seemed more like her character…..was a bit more redeeming. But I just don’t see that this was her only option. Did love Edi Gathegi…was glad to see him on tv. I will give it another couple of eps…..I try to give it four eps before I give up….but it didn’t really grab me.

4. Charlies says:

Anyone else waiting to see how it does in the first couple of week’s? (Ratings wise) of course

5. Candice says:

I thought it was way too long. I know its supposed to be 2hrs but it really dragged on for me. Overall, it wasn’t that bad. There’s just nothing interesting that hooks me into watching next week. But it was decent.

6. Jon says:

I lost interest. Not watching beyond these first two hours.

7. TM says:

Radha Mitchell reminds me a lot of Keri Russell. In a way she’d be better casting than Russell on FX’s The Americans but she’s not as appealing.

• Melissa says:

I agree! The whole time I was watching I kept trying to figure out who her voice sounded like and then it hit me, Keri Russell!

8. Drew Herring says:

I really enjoyed this show!!! Granted, it’s not the best series premiere but it was better than most of the crap ABC has been trying to hook their viewers with. I hope it does well with the ratings, ABC could use a show like this. With Revenge getting rocky and OUAT getting slightly better, this could boost the network’s ratings. People just need to go into this show with an open-mind! If y’all can handle zombie apocalypses and fairy tales coming to real life, I’m sure you can sit through this without complaining. It’s a good show. Not perfect. But a good show.

• I totally agree! I thought this was an intriguing, well-written, and plausible show, as opposed to the far-out crap that has been put forth before, and then never really resolved (FlashForward, Invasion, Lost, etc.). Since Revenge, Drop Dead Diva, Army Wives, and Downton Abbey are in hiatus, this looks like a great diversion.

9. Missy Kelly says:

Let’s see, It’s ABC so I invest 2 hours of my time, decide I like it, watch 2 more hours and then they cancel it and never show the additional episodes – Once Burned – Last Resort; twice shy – Zero Hour. Will wait to see what they decide to do before I spend the time.

• MaryAnn says:

The season run is only eight episodes. I can’t see them cancelling it before they all air.

• Dizzle says:

To be fair to ABC, they did air the whole series of Last Resort, and while it wasnt perfect I feel like the finale was a great way to end the series, given the circumstances.

As for Red Widow, it just has to do better than repeats of Shark Tank and it’ll survive at least this first run. It’s less soapy than ABC’s other shows so I hope viewers can find it.

• dude says:

They gave Last Resort a conclusion and I’m more horrified to learn you enjoyed Zero Hour.

• kirads09 says:

THIS => “Once Burned – Last Resort; twice shy – Zero Hour. Will wait to see what they decide to do before I spend the time.”

10. Anonymous says:

It reminds me of mob doctor which I wish they would not of cancelled.

11. JJ says:

It has become too easy to spot an ABC failure from miles away. Why bother? They just further destroyed Revenge’s momentum to launch a show that will be gone before May sweeps.

12. Juan says:

I thought the first hour was kinda boring but the second much better, I really enjoyed the second hour which is probably cause pilots gotta introduce everything and such so mot really a bother, will watch

13. big cheddar says:

Skipped the first hour to watch TGW, but was able to easily follow the plot during the 2nd hour. Some of my favorite actors are in this (Lee, Goran, Rade) but, as others have pointed our, I’m worried about getting too attached again for fear ABC will drop it next week.

14. MaryAnn says:

I really really liked this show and hope it sticks around. The lead actress really appeals to me, and she makes the whole thing worth watching. I just wish her husband would be a recurring character in flashbacks or dream /internal monolog/daydream sequencs.

15. Anna says:

I want it to watch it, but why should i bother if its going to be cancel

16. greysfan says:

This show surprised me. It was very very good. I will be back next week.

17. patricia Cunningham says:

I really wanted to watch Red Widow but ABC couldn’t have picked a worse day & time slot. They are up against “AMC’s The Walking Dead, & The Talking Dead.” In any other day/time slot I would certainly become an avid watcher.sorry:-(

18. P.C. says:

I CAN RELATE

19. vincentdante says:

Speaking as someone who doesn’t understand all the fuss over the carnage ride that is Walking Dead, I was shocked at how much I liked this show. (By the way Zero Hour tanked because Zero Hour stank.)

20. Prahaexpat says:

Two things – 1. as many others have said, it is really getting difficult to invest in a show with so many disappointing cancellations lately (Last Resort, Secret Circle, Ringer, Breakout Kings, The Finder, GCB, A Gifted Man…….well, you get the idea…..) and 2. I did like it, but really only watched it to see Anson Mount :-)

21. michael says:

i will wait until we find out wether the show gets canceled or upgraded

22. Joe says:

On dvr waiting to see if it did well enough in ratings to watch don’t want to get invested in show and it gets canceled ( 666 , the last resort & apt 23 )

23. Aeol says:

Mediocre show, my husband is not into scripted TV (Deadliest Pawn Gold Rush Wars is more his style) but when he said he wanted to watch this I buckled down with him. I was enjoying Zero Hour so I’m bummed and a little bitter towards ABC right now, and Red Widow is not going to replace those feelings anytime soon, looks like. :)

24. Cole says:

The most interesting characters by far were the HUSBAND and Luther (the boyguard)..

• R. Dinanno says:

I agree. Why isn’t the actor who played Evan listed … Not even in the full cast list. .

• tobin says:

His name is Anson Mount, and I also agree… I would have been more interested in this series if he were in the main cast.

25. cathy says:

I watched the full two hours, but found was having a hard time staying awake at the end. It just seemed way too drawn out for me. They could have had all the events from the two hours packed into a single hour, with time to spare.

26. KS says:

Surprised that I liked ths show so much! They only shot 8 episodes for the entirety of season one, so ABC *has* to air all of them even if the show gets cancelled, right? Usually, pilots start out rocky, anyway. This pilot was okay, so hopefully the show picks up in the coming weeks. There’s potential here.

27. Mekisha Hale says:

First of all it wasn’t that bad actually what I had saw of the pilot episode was two hours long which was needed for the story line. The speed or the pace of the show really was proper but not to lost without the story which I totally followed carefully. At the beginning it was shaky at the beginning but,as the story went on the show last night it speedy up with what the story required.
    Now as for the character’s the mother who now has to learn a totally new way of living specially to survive then anything else. At the same go into a world that will either make her or break in two. And staying focus on what isn’t right or wrong but getting the job done it looked to me. Meaning this isn’t the time to choose what is right or wrong in the underworld which has no moral base at all.
    What got me though was when Marta confronted Schiller who wanted Marta to import a shippment. But that really turned upside down,when the answer was you have to do it. Then it was learning how and what to do,just to get the hang of it. This is a bad business with no time to think about anything but doing the job. Then I knew then that this was going to be a complicated story with a lot of twist and turns. Who do you trust or do you have to go with your gut.
    Even though this was a two hour pilot it was very eventful and sort of a way how sometimes live takes a turn from what was a life that was full of possibilities to now a life that was lived in a lie then in the truth. The show “Red Widow” has a long way to go before it’s serious in being a show with a plot that goes by each week with something that completely changes the whole entire story completely. So for right now I will say,I wouldn’t mind watching this on Sunday nights of course with ABC’s Revenge. I think it could work out if the audience sticks around long enough to make this SUNDAY NIGHT more interesting to watch.

28. Alex says:

Another stinker! This one is not worth the time it takes to watch. It isn’t even hilariously bad like Do No Harm; it’s just plain bad. Awful acting, ridiculous plot, huge gaps in logic, poor writing, all-around failure. LMAO at previous comments that the writing is good on this show. It’s the exact opposite! Huge, huge dud.

29. Emily says:

I’m lucking out, or maybe just getting smarter about picking shows. Last year I picked up Terra Nova and Awake, unfortunately, but at least they were allowed to run their course before being cancelled. This year I only picked up The Following and Arrow. Neither of them are amazing, but they’re pretty much guaranteed renewals. I knew Red Widow, Zero Hour, The Mob Doctor and Do No Harm were going to be duds. I’d guessed Revolution would be too, but I stand corrected, even though I don’t watch it.

30. MLO says:

I liked Last Resort, but am happy with what they did – one season, with a full story arc, coming to a conclusion. I wish networks would take that approach right from the start with some of the other shows we’ve seen out of the gate recently – Zero Hour, Red Widow, etc. I think these types of shows fit well into a one-season mold – enough to tell a very interesting story and then wrap it up without dragging things on forever. I think the last two years have proven that the good meaty roles are on television – not in the movies. I think we would end up seeing a lot of really good television, with amazing casting, if actors were only obligated to committing to 12 or 16 episodes.

31. N says:

Loved the first hour

32. rock says:

Just watched on my dvr w/my wife and was not impressed. We wilnot be returning to this show.

33. It’s very effortless to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this paragraph at this website.|

34. papaka says:

naturally like your website but you have to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to inform the truth however I will surely come again again.|

35. Anonymous says:

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful blog!%7

36. tobin says:

The actor who played Evan, the husband who dies in the pilot, is Anson Mount.

37. Julie says:

ABC made a huge mistake killing off Evan….he could have been a wonderful character to reappear later in the series. Anson was the most appealing character, not to mention the most attractive:-). It has been difficult to find interest in the series with him gone.

38. Jesse says:

The previews didn’t have me very interested and I had no interest or plans to watch it but I recorded on DVR and watched 2 weeks later when I had nothing else to watch. The more I watched, the more I liked it. Good characters, good storyline. Now I can’t wait to see what’s gonna happen next! If viewers would give the series a fair chance by watching more than one episode, the show would be a Definant Hit! It’s certainly better than Zero Hour, Mob Doctor, Revenge, Do No Harm and Last Resort. THANKS! for giving us a chance to see a new episode tonight!

39. Corinne says:

I absolutely loved this show, I haven’t really seen anything like it before, am so upset its ended and really hope they do a season two. I really want to see what happens next and if Marta , will go through killing Schiller.
    I think all the characters worked so well together and there where lots of possibilities with different outcomes so you weren’t really sure which way the plot was going to go.
    as i said before loved it, please make another season Thanks

40. Tiffany says:

please tell me we will get to see more of this show! I’m in love with the characters. I love it! So not ready for it to end! Im really hoping to see season 2! If not, I’ll be devistated! :(

41. Christine V Fowler says:

I’m so over directors cutting series once they have started.. its like buying a book and having 80% of the pages missing including the ending.. they would be taken to the consumer trade commission if a writer scammed the general public.
    Directors etc. should have to supply a full story line.. a beginning and an end date/ finale for a series they are producing or start paying heavy penalties for duping the general public.. there is an expectation in viewing a series that it is a series and you expect to see a complete story with an ending.
    Brothers and sisters for example .. axed… Smash.. axed.. The Borgia’s.. axed.. Why as the viewing public are we letting movie producers etc. get away with this. If it was a book that we brought… you would certainly have something to say and take action.