Gilmore Gah! Jason Ritter Trades Lauren Graham for Alexis Bledel in Fox's Friends & Family Pilot

Friends & Family Pilot Alexis Bledel Jason Ritter Gilmore GirlsIn a twist Shakespeare would love, Gilmore GirlsAlexis Bledel has joined Fox’s comedy pilot Friends & Family as a romantic interest for Jason Ritter, TVLine has learned.

Ritter, of course, was last seen romancing Bledel’s former Gilmore mom, Lauren Graham, in NBC’s Parenthood.

RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to Pilot Season 2013: Get All the Scoop on This Fall’s Potential Newcomers

The actress formerly known as Rory will play Stacey to Ritter’s Gavin in the single-camera project, an adaptation of the British comedy Gavin & Stacey.

The potential series is written by David Rosen (I Just Want My Pants Back), with Jane Tranter, Julie Gardner, Henry Normal and Gavin & Stacey creators James Corden and Ruth Jones also serving as EPs.

Stacey is described as sweet and strong “but willing to do the weird stuff.” In the pilot, the Pennsylvania native — who’s hit it off with co-worker Gavin through their Skype and Facebook interactions — travels to New York for their first date… which goes south when the oysters Stacey ate at dinner make her violently ill.

Bledel played Stars Hollow’s favorite child for seven seasons. Her few TV appearances since Gilmore‘s 2007 finale include ER and a buzzy arc as Mad Men‘s desperate housewife Beth in 2012.

1. MuzzikLvr says:

The circle continues…Lauren Graham traded in Scott Patterson first for Jason Ritter…his co-star in “The Event.”

2. M says:

Too bad Alexis Bledel can’t act

3. Lauren says:

I know she’s an adult and was already pretty much one when she was on that show. But man, on some level, I still find it creepy that he’s going from Lorelai to Rory. I guess I’ve been watching too many GG reruns.

4. Babybop says:

Man, I miss Gilmore Girls…

5. Laurel says:

Oh, gosh… I loved Gavin and Stacey on BBC. This sounds like it’s going to be an awful attempt to translate the show for Anerica, terrific acting talent aside. Just the description of the change to the pilot’s plot is dismaying.

6. edensongbird says:

Even though I fully understand that this is just tv, the idea of him kissing both Rory and her mom creeps me out a little…;)

7. Shelley says:

I love Gavin & Stacey, but I’m not banking on the American version. I am not sure Nessa, Smithy, and Bryn will translate well, and they make the show.

• ABBY says:

Lol I’ve had this conversation a few times in the past and I usually find most people agree that the weakest thing about Gavin and Stacey and the title couple. The supporting cast made the show.

• Janel says:

I love Gavin and Stacey also. I also watch a lot of British television. America have very few good television writers and fail to capture the depth of the characters. The only good American show that I like as well and even better than its British Counterpart is ‘The Office’, but there you had one of the original writers and contributing writers have also been outstanding.

8. Jay says:

Having seen the original, I think Ellie Kemper would have been perfect in this role, although she’s already booked her own pilot.

9. Allyson says:

This is a little creepy! Been a big fan of Gilmore Girls and this is just werid to see. I know, they are just actors, but still. I wonder if Alexis has called Lauren to inform of this. Lol.

10. Luke says:

Threesome!!!

11. Mel says:

I loved Jason on Parenthood, and even though he and Sarah had great chemistry, the age difference, and what they each wanted out of life was too different. Putting the “ick” factor aside, I think Jason and Alexis are a better match. I will definitely tune in for at least a few episodes. Hoping it’s a hit!

12. robinepowell says:

Well I guess Sarah will be man hunting again.

13. How age appropriate!

14. I LOVE TV says:

Hey love reading all TV sites, still if you guys are TVbythenumber friends, could you tell them most fans hate malwear comments coming up on their site. Just be nice and tell them their site is nuclear right now. I know who cares here, but a lot of fans love both sites, so a lot of fans are going to get hit with this.

15. Lola says:

This is great news!!! As a longtime GG fan, I’m loving the meta of it all. Can’t wait for the show!

16. Christian says:

Alexis is a beautiful girl but she’s a horrid actress. She can’t even do drama so how is she gonna do comedy which is arguably harder? Sorry this has FLOP written all over it!

• Sarah says:

Alexis certainly isn’t a horrid actress. She was very good in Mad Men last season. I like her and hope this transition from a very successful British comedy to an American programme isn’t the usual disaster. Hopefully, with Ruth and James involved it can be the exception. Casting Jason and Alexis is certainly a great start. Looking forward to seeing it, if we get it in England.

• Guest says:

Alexis Bledel wasn’t really that good on Gilmore Girls. She just failed at displaying the emotional depth that Rory should have had.

17. Kaitie says:

um im soo excited that alexis will be back on a show im going to maybe enjoy

18. B says:

Written by David Rosen? Scandal never mentioned his writing career!

19. Anonymoose says:

Sounds Shade-y to me.

20. Jennifer says:

Wow, I haven’t really ever watched Parenthood but I knew Jason was on or had been on it so when I first read headline I misunderstood it and thought they meant Alexis would be appearing on Parenthood as his new love interest or Lauren’s rival.

21. lara says:

Alexis Bledel isn’t the best actress, but I still loved her as Rory, so I think that if the writing and direction is good enough, she can pull it off. I can’t believe she’s 31 – she still looks 16 (in a good way)! I think that she and Jason Ritter will make a really cute couple.

22. French says:

I like Alexis Bledel but she’s NOT Lauren Graham. She’s likeable but…

23. Tahitigirl says:

As long as she never has a scene where she has to cry or hug, she should be okay.

24. Tina says:

Personally, I think Alexis Bledel is a good TV actress. Remember, GG was her first acting gig, so I don’t fault her on her possible shortcomings. Nevertheless, I will say that I’m glad she’s playing a character totally different from Rory. That way, there will be no comparisons between the two characters. Lauren Graham might be the better actor of the two, but her range of characters/storylines are short (and very similar). Ouside Bad Santa, LG has always played the (single) parent role. So at least Alexis is willing to try new roles.

25. agate cameo says:

Thank you for some other fantastic article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal means of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such information.|

26. Anonymous says:

Thankfulness to my father who shared with me about this web site, this web site is truly awesome.%7

27. Mare says:

Funny, I found Gilmore Girls later…..first time watching, Rory was in pilot and my husband walked in and said to me, “god, that is one ugly kid!”. LOL I didn’t agree, she was cute.

As I watched all the GG episodes on DVD, Alexis was the only one who seemed to get worse as the series went on………everyone else was at the top of their game throughout the series.

I kind of feel bad for her……she was dating Milo, and SHE was the one who held out for more $$$$ and network just said no, so they all walked out that last season.

And yes, unless she gets rid of her awkwardness in physical situations (hugs/kisses etc), and drops the squeaky voice (when Rory was young in first season, she had a deeper, normal voice) which IS NOT ACTING…unless you’re a Disney character…..I fear for her future.

Although, I do agree w/previous poster……might be true that actors are born, not made.

Just my two cents……. still GG fan b/c of Lauren and cast!!!!

• Mare says:

Oh gosh, I should have added that was 10 years ago, when she was learning acting! I do hope AB does well in her new show. (I realized I sounded terrible with that post and couldn’t delete it).

Sorry…..I’m new to site and just tripped over the entry way……

28. Jennifer says:

I agree that Alexis’ acting got noticeably worse as the seasons progressed on GG. You’d expect the opposite, no? By the last few seasons, her character really grated, and I think that’s in large part to how Alexis portrayed her.