Ratings: Community Steady, Zero Hour Dips More

Community - Season 4There’s not much to see here, folks, now that we’ve come out of February sweeps and repeats are rampant. That said….

A fresh episode of NBC’s Community this Thursday merely matched last week’s series-low demo rating of 1.1 and dropped 11 percent in total audience (to 2.74 million) — this even though sitcom rival The Big Bang Theory, in repeat mode, freed up 7 million viewers.

RELATED | Community‘s Ken Jeong Cast as Spy Boss in ABC Comedy Pilot

The Peacock’s only other piece of original fare, 1600 Penn, dipped 10 percent and a tenth (2.23 mil/0.9) coming out of an Office rerun.

RELATED | American Idol Vegas Round (Part 4) Recap: Tonight I Wanna Cry

American Idol dipped 9 percent and a tenth week-to-week, to 12.5 mil/3.8 (per prelim ratings).

Annnnnnnd… ABC’s Zero Hour (5.03 mil/1.0) slipped further, 7 percent and a tenth, in Week 3.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

That’s pretty much it, but in case your Primetime Ratings Fantasy League includes repeats: CBS’ Person of Interest (9.5 mil/1.9) and Elementary (7.72 mil/1.6) reruns crushed ABC’s Scandal (3.34 mil/0.9) and Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars (2.8 mil/0.8) encores.

1. Tran says:

I’m shocked Community got beat by Idol as does a repeat of Big Bang Theory. How come people are “obsessed” on watching a repeat and/or fresh episode of TBBT?

• John says:

Because a re-run of BBT is a lot more original and better than a new episode of Community. Without Harmon, the show is just not the Community of previous seasons.

• Bravesthope says:

A re-run of The Big Bang Theory is more original than a new episode of Community? You really think that? Even without Dan Harmon, the show is still way more original that the majority of what you’ll find on TV. Regardless of opinions toward The Big Bang Theory being good or not, it is a cookie cutter sitcom.

• TV Gord says:

I really don;t want to agree with you, John, but I have to. Last night’s episode was just awful and the show is just not what it used to be. I hate to say it, but–based on the episodes so far–I wish the show had ended last season.

• Alan says:

because the drooling masses dont understand good comedy when they see it.

• suzi says:

So people who like different things than you do are “drooling masses”. Google “tolerance” –and “maturity” while you’re at it.

2. MASH says:

AND TVD?

3. JJ says:

CBS sitcoms and dramas are so generic and formulaic that people can’t tell if they’re watching a new episode or not.

4. Patrick says:

Goodbye Community. You were a great show that morons didn’t watch. Thanks for all the memories.

5. Jose says:

Im guessing only 4 seasons and no movie

6. Hanley says:

Community is the most over rated show I have watched. No wonder it does bad.

7. Mike says:

I still can hope for a season 5, NBC can’t cancel everything, I still think we will get 3 renewed comedies, which I know will be Parks and I hope Community and Go On.

8. PutAForkInIt says:

They gave Community a chance.
    Its small audience wasn’t enough.
    So be it.
    Put a fork in it.
    It’s done.

PS: I watch BOTH Community and BBT and enjoy both.
    There is no reason you have to pick sides here in the age of DVRs.
    Some people find humor in different styles of sitcoms.

• Alan says:

isnt it impossible to like a good comedy (community) and a very bad one (the big bleh theory)? i thought there was no crossover in the demographics of the two shows

• Mike B says:

tbbt is far away from being very bad… i don’t get why everybody seems to hate it all of a sudden… maybe it got too successful to be considered cool… but in my opinion it’s a great comedy series. and btw, i also like community. so there are people who like both.

• Alan says:

i used to be a fan of the big bang theory back in the first couple of seasons when the comedy was clever, however i believe that when the writers got a multi-season renewal during season 3 they got lazy and stopped making clever jokes that both nerds and others would find funny and just descended into making fun of nerds for having different interests and as a nerd i find it inexcusable that the writers take cheap shots at people i used to identify with for “humour”.
          think of it as if nerds were a race of people, nobody would allow them to make racist jokes about them, why should this be any different.

• Kristina says:

I agree. I watch and like both as well. Apparently it’s not cool to like popular shows anymore. People somehow think bashing a show that’s outdoing it in the ratings makes the one they like look better.

9. Kresh says:

wow the dean has tooooooo much screen time. I don’t even like him….

• Alan says:

jim rash is fantastic at what he does, he makes what could be a very one note character interesting. anyway he hasnt had much screen time at all this season, sitting out two episodes and only featured in the sub plot of another.

• Jason says:

The man is an Oscar winner.

10. Tran says:

When will a fresh Vampire Diaries be airing on the CW?

11. Leondre says:

I like community and I don’t like the big bang theory but that doesn’t make someone smart or dumb. We all have different opinions when it comes to tv and that doesn’t determine whether we are smart or dumb.

12. David4 says:

Last night’s Community was the best of the season, felt like fun crazy Community to me.

13. Anna says:

Last night’s episode of Community was really weird for me to watch, because I am German and I felt offended by the stereotypes, it just wasn’t funny. It wasn’t even accurate. And as usual I have to wonder if there is NOBODY around to ask to look at the “German” lines – the German people speak in American TV shows is impossible for me to understand, and it’s my first language! Also, I think Americans have to rethink what a “German accent” sounds like…

14. People need to start watching zero hour

15. Todd says:

Community is completely Brittaed.

16. Brian says:

I love(d) Community. It was so fresh, original and hilarious in its first two seasons. I don’t know what went wrong last season, but it was a far cry from its first two. This season has barely gotten any laughs out of me. At least the series will end with them graduating. I’m at peace with Community ending after this season. I really don’t think a season 5 will materialize. I like BBT as well, but it also is starting to become stale. It really was funny in its first several seasons, but they focus too much on the supporting cast now IMO. BBT should end after next season (or is it renewed for another one after that already?).

17. TV Fan says:

It didn’t help NBC when its Cleveland affiliate WKYC preempted most of the lineup with a Matlock movie last night.

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

The fourth season of Community is putting me in a pretty b*tchy mood. I miss my show! I’m still holding onto that final straw of hope it will get better. This is exactly how I felt halfway through season 5 of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

19. Andy says:

I liked the first 3 episodes of season 4 Community, but this week’s one….not so much. There just wasn’t enough layers, thoughts, poignant moments for it to be the Community we used to love. The German jokes are downright offensive and the so called ‘war’ was silly and blatant.

And i did use to love Big bang theory, and i still watch it once in a while if it comes on tv. But the quality did drop considerably since season 1 and 2. Back in the days they actually have funny nerd jokes, now they just use ‘jokes’ to make fun of nerds, and i really don’t get the rating system…It’s almost like saying it’s cool (and more and more people like) to make fun of nerds.

20. Alan says:

For all the people who complain that the new writers and directors are awful, I wonder if you ever read the credits. The 1st episode this season was written by Andy Bobrow who also wrote: Basic Rocket Science, Mixology Certification, Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy from season 2; Geography of Global Conflict, Pillows and Blankets from season 3. The 2nd episode was by Megan Ganz who also wrote: : Cooperative Calligraphy, Intermediate Documentary Film-making from season 2; Documentary Film-making: Redux, Basic Lupine Urology from season 3. The 3rd episode was by Maggie Bandur who also wrote Competitive Ecology from season 3. The first 2 episodes this season were directed by Trisram Shapeero who has directed at least 10 previous episodes. I miss Dan Harmon, the Russo Bros. and some of the other writers, too, but the show is still in the hands of people who care. It’s not exactly the same, but it’s still funny.