Downton Abbey: [Spoiler]'s Not Returning Either!

Downton Abbey Season 4 Siobhan Finneran Leaving as O'BrienAnother room has become available in Downton Abbey.

On the heels of the back-to-back departures of Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil) and Dan Stevens (Matthew), now word comes that Siobhan Finneran — who has played wretched maid Sarah O’Brien since the show’s launch — will not be back for the PBS smash’s upcoming fourth season.

RELATED | Downton Abbey Promotes [Spoiler] to a Series Regular in Season 4

“I’m not doing any more,” the actress told UK’s Mirror. “O’Brien is a thoroughly despicable human being — that was great to play.”

According to sources, O’Brien’s departure will take place off screen during the six-month time jump between seasons. That’s in stark contrast to the dramatic on-screen swan songs given to Sybil and Matthew. As Julian Fellowes recently told the New York Times, “When an actor playing a servant wants to leave, there isn’t really a problem — [that character gets] another job.”

Thoughts? How big a blow to the show is this? Are you said O’Brien isn’t being given a proper farewell? Hit the comments!

1. Emily says:

Downton Abbey has sucked the last couples of seasons – the first season was great and after that it’s been a trainwreck. I think everyone hates Michelle Dockery and it doesn’t surprise me, because the show caters to her posh needs. It’s getting pathetic. I hope everyone leaves and Dockery is the last one left, that’ll show em.

• Josh says:

What the heck are you talking about? Where did you get any of this information? And Gossip sites like Hollywood Life don’t count…they never count.

• Andy Swift says:

lol hey whoa … let’s not start attacking HollywoodLife. We love Michelle Dockery.

• Michele says:

You people are sick ..Mary and her Grandmother are what make the show…

• Rita says:

I agree that Mary and her Grandmother make the show – I love the show but sad that Matthew left the show and don’t like that there will not be a funeral for him on the show.

• Annie Blue says:

Luci: I don’t know why but I get the impression that Mathew character is being disposed of fully and completely…even the headstone is very specific and very large….Could be the powers that be are slightly miffed at the actor quitting the show without even agreeing to finish with an additional one part in the fourth season…. angry much? Uh Huh….the Actor taking advantage to quit for greener pastures – offers received because of his role in Downton Abbey – he could have easily given them that one more scene in gratitude…..Not he. For the Heiress on Broadway….. krikey. Films can be worked around as Julian is very generous in that regard – the reason he gets the best of actors for his shows.

Alas….for audience when an actor doesn’t give a damn…

• Jo says:

Thank you! I’ve been saying this for weeks and no one wants to admit Mary is totally unlikeable and her treatment of Jane Eyre, I mean Edith, has been awful. I never understood what Matthew saw in her, while he and his mother wanted to help people, she was spoiled and entitled. They tried too hard to force chemistry between them that wasn’t there.

• Katie says:

Yeah I agree with all of this, that’s why Mary has ruined the show for me.

• LeeAnn says:

It’s not so much her that ruins the show, it’s that the show tries too hard to make us root for her when it is often impossible to do so. Fellowes thinks she hangs the moon and many viewers (like me) just aren’t feeling it. As a widow she will be more sympathetic but since she was kind of a shrew with her husband, maybe not so much. There might be a bit of a backlash against her the more she dominates. But at least there are still other characters I like.

• Candice says:

If many viewers hated Mary who in your words dominates screen time, Downton abbey wouldn’t be getting amazingly high ratings this season. Don’t turn your dislike for a character into something everyone should feel. I actually dislike sybil/tom who are supposed to be the “likeable characters” Good characters are boring. Its the unfortunate truth.

• KevyB says:

On what planet was Sybil supposed to be a likable character? She has become MORE likable but she was pretty much a capital B through the first two seasons. Let’s not lay this all on Mary’s character either. Lord Grantham has been the most hateful character this season. Nobody gets to do anything unless Lord Grantham allows it. It even got his only tolerable daughter killed. They pretty much killed the only two tolerable characters on the show this year. Well, there’s the fat maid.

• Lucy says:

KevyB, do you watch the show?? Sybil is the daughter who died- so you’re both saying she was a capital B and that she’s the only tolerable daughter…

• Teeny says:

Exactly! Mary is such a pill and nearly impossible to root for. I can only imagine how insufferable she is going to be now that she is a widow. Blerg.

• Jake says:

I’m cringing at what they’re gonna do with Mary. Pretty sure she’s going to be annoying as hell. I wish they’d bring in some fierce beautiful actress to tame out Mary.

• LeeAnn says:

I too am baffled by the show’s preference for Mary. She’s kind of a cow and never does anything interesting. Basically she’s just a high-maintenance ornament. Dockery is a good enough actress, but the idea of starting at square one with all of Mary’s self-absorbed angst and drama does not appeal to me. I am not sure she can pull off another year of it; her bag of tricks might be exhausted.

• Kathleen says:

I so agree about Mary being nothing but a bore and a very uninteresting person, along with the ‘b’ word. What is so appealing about her? She is nothing to look at, and her personality is drab….to imagine that all these men would be after is, is really a stretch. They are all out of her league.

• Annie Blue says:

I liked Mary to begin with – a typical character in romance novels – but she was getting slightly boring latterly and one wondered where that relationship would go – she – the character written I should say was becoming very like her Father the old fashioned reasoning etc. I would prefer if the character became involved with the business in honor of Mathew now dead and thinking about their child and his future – rather than another romantic fever… Please I hope bring Edith into focus – hopefully the editor ‘s problem will be solved and a wonderful future will be there for her – plus her interests in the downtrodden and writing about all the world not just their little neck of the elegant and stuffy woods. Also Mathew’s Mother would be a willing participant in those activities I would think…plus that doctor – wow….who saw that coming…. I like it hope it continues now that she is going to be out slightly with no son in the big house….what will happen to her and her grandson now….

Lots to look forward to…. and trouble with Rosie – maybe Tom Branson….more stories there and his baby daughter….nice stories……for a change – no more deaths please.

• BTM says:

Oh, but half the fun of the show is, “How will Lady Mary bleep things up this time?”!

• ann holbrooks says:

I love the character Mary, Michelle does an awesome job! I loved it when she and Matthew were married.

• Candice says:

speak for yourself. Just because you don’t like michelle dockery doesn’t mean that everyone agrees. She is a fabulous actress and while i agree Mary can be unlikeable sometimes, Michelle isn’t the one who writes the scripts. Take your complaint up to Julian Fellowes

• TV Gord says:

Exactly. And besides, every show needs its unlikable characters. Sometimes, they can even be the most enjoyable ones, in a “love to hate ‘em” kind of way.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I agree with you, sometimes unlikable characters are the best. I’m a huge fan of Walter White, Gus Fringe, Gyp Rosetti, Pete Campbell, Boyd Crowder, most of the characters on Game of Thrones, the girls of Girls, Frank Gallagher, Shane Walsh, the Governor…these are all great characters. But Mary Crawley…no way. No. Just…no. She is so horrible and selfish and spoiled and manipulative. I can’t figure out if the reason I dislike watching the character is because she is written so horribly and Julian Fellowes is actually an extremely overrated, terrible writer or if Michelle Dockery is just a really crappy actress who can’t find the tiniest shred of humanity in the character. Mary is a cartoon. She’s got the likability of Britta from the first part of season one of Community. She’s as deep as a cheerleader in an 80s movie. She’s got less personality than my pet fish. I don’t understand how anyone could root for the character, much less want her to be on the show. But I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. [Shrug].

• TV Gord says:

I admire your commitment to hating this character! If you’re going to hate her, hate her with gusto, I say! :-D

• bothsidesnow says:

I agree. Look at Scarlett O’Hara. Somehow we ended up rooting for her!

• Sarah says:

If you hate Mary that is your sake, but don’t be so stupid so you take Michelle Dockery and Mary to be the same persons and hate Michelle too. Michelle Dockery is a lovely person and a very very good actress!! After Downton Abbey I want to see her on the big screen!!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Emily, you’re my favorite. I have had a hard time liking the show since the second season started. I thought it made a great mini-series. They should have left it at that.

• elr says:

I agree with you about that the first season (or mini series) was the best. I think seasons 2 and 3 have been so jumbled because of big time jumps that you are never sure how much time has passed. A whole year passed from the penultimate episode to the season 3 finale, and you had to try and figure that out because there was nothing saying that or even telling what year we were in at that point. One minute Matthew and Mary are talking about being able to start a family to her being eight months pregnant! Also with this style of story telling and the number of episodes per season(7) it is hard to flesh out the characters and to give the viewing audience some much needed background information. I do love the show though and watch it mainly for the servants, especially Bates and Anna.

• BTM says:

To be fair to Fellowes, six episodes is typical for a British television season. Also, the reason for the big gap before the end was that the final episode was not really part of the rest of that season. It aired in England as a special episode on Christmas Day, many months after the others. Again many shows do a Christmas special, such as Doctor Who.

• Ava says:

Yes, the big jumps in times does leave things too choppy and undeveloped properly. I’ve been searching for what it was that bothered me and I recognized it when I read your post. I agree completely.

• Phyllis says:

I was a late viewer unfortunately. When I heard DA was the greatest show ever I started to watch. I loved it just sorry I did not see all the first seasons. Now let me ask this “I thought Sybil was the blond daughter who wanted to work at the newspaper” now I read that was not the case. I wish she would marry that older man at the newspaper. Also love the boss of the housekeeping staff.

• peanut says:

Your crazy this is the best series on TV I felt cheated when the last 3 episodes were 2 hours long.
      It felt like it cut the season short. I love Lady Mary, she is the epitome of an English Lady.

• ann holbrooks says:

this is the best series on television, trainwreck? I do not agree. I love Michelle she is awesome

• MacLean says:

Not everyone hates Michelle Dockery just because you do. She happens to be my favorite and the favorite of many other people. People are different and each has his/her own opinion. Yours doesn’t happen to be the only one.

2. Christa says:

OMG – that’s really going to change the downstairs dynamic! As much as I loved to hate the character, she will be missed!

• The Beach says:

Every good story (or soap) needs a good villain. They have been rehabbing Thomas’ image of late but now they’ll either have to turn him evil again or bring in another really reprehensible character to replace O’Brien.

3. Teeny says:

Arg! No she will never be held accountable for causing a miscarriage. I would have loved to have seen her get her comeuppance. I hope they cast another maid just as deviuos as O’Brien and that Thomas goes back to being evil.

• leelee says:

I totally agree, they should had sent her packing after all was found out about her misdeeds!!!

• cjeffery7 says:

but that’s just the thing, thomas is still the only one who knows what “the soap” actually means. bates and anna know that “the soap” is bad for o’brien, but they don’t actually know why.

• meem says:

And I think the fact that they can’t figure it out is just absurd. SURELY everyone in the house knows Cora suffered a miscarriage after slipping on a bar of soap. So it wouldn’t take a brain surgeon to put two and two together when Thomas told Bates to mention the soap.

• Alichat says:

Well, it’s been about 6 or 7 years since her miscarriage. So, maybe that will be the explanation for her departure. Bates and Anna are still mulling over what Thomas’ comment means, and it suddenly comes to Anna that her Ladyship slipped on soap and lost the baby. O’Brien is confronted…etc etc.

• … or the reason she’s left is because they do find out about the ‘soap’.

4. I was wondering if the character was going to end up going to India with the family members from Scotland. It seems like they were establishing that in the finale.

• @heather_kaye says:

Yeah, I thought that myself. Loudly and with vigor enough that I’m wondering at the surprise from the other commentors.

• cjeffery7 says:

oh touché. mrs. shrimpy had a serious maid-crush on o’brien cuz of her hair skillz.

• meem says:

Exactly. I’m assuming season 4 will start with Cora and Mrs. Shrimpy having done a maid swap. Replace one scheming duplicitous maid with another.

• Annie Blue says:

Giselle – I agree – absolutely it was totally obvious she was going to go off to India and be companion maid to Rose’s Mum…. She wanted out – she was bored as the actress and the character played….had never been anywhere and she said as much – she would love to go to India and then of course the family would end up in London – where she also had never been…. I can see her coming back to Downton as the ladies maid when they visit from London…… Very interesting to see then the Downton downstairs servants and their expressions….at an O’Brien in a happy frame of mind…..love it! She was one of my favorite characters – a great actress.

5. LaurenMC says:

WTF?! She has been a major character for the past 3 seasons and they are just going to dispose of her off screen like it’s no big deal? At least give her one last episode! All these actors leaving is really disappointing, and the show is going to suffer next season. Shame – I really loved this show!

• TV Gord says:

A show such as this one, which spans several years, is bound to have a fairly steady cast turnover. More characters will come along, and we may enjoy them even more. I don’t see any need to stop watching the show over anyone’s departure. Only shabby writing would make me quit watching.

6. Josh says:

I’m surprised so many want to leave…and another MAJOR character too…

7. cjeffery7 says:

what the WHAT?!! i suppose the fictional rationale would be that after bates’ blackmailed her, she decided she couldn’t live with the shame, so she decided to leave. i guess that’ll put thomas back on top, though he was thoroughly humbled in series 3.

• meem says:

Only problem being that a YEAR had passed between Bates blackmailing O’Brien and the 3rd season finale. If she was worried about that, she’d have left long ago. Yet another thing that was completely dropped (along with the offer to Daisy to take over the farm) when they pushed the story forward a year just so Mary could have that heir on board. Stupid, lazy writing was certainly on display last season.

• Josh says:

Except that this isn’t an American show where they take 22-24 episodes a season. I’d hardly call Downton’s writing stupid or lazy. Those adjectives belong to another group of people.

• Linny says:

Totally agree! The show is fabulous. It was inducted into the Guinness Book of Records. There are millions of fans that continue to return to viewing the seasons. In spite of there being such a gap. That alone speaks loudly of what a series offers. Was really upset about Matthew being killed off though.

8. Carrie says:

It was pretty obvious she was cozying up to Lady Flintshire, so I predict we will hear that O’Brien is in Duneagle being Scottish and perhaps some comment about Bates sort of knowing her secret scared her away. I will miss her – she stirred trouble, but there was a glimmer of a heart every now and then which made her an interesting character.

9. RLE says:

If they have to get rid of her, they should at least give O’Brien the farewell she deserves – something as equally despicable as her own character! It is disappointing enough to see her disappear but to not even get to watch some sort of downfall or comeuppance, is thoroughly disappointing.

10. Amy says:

Bet she got the job as Rose’s mother’s maid. Seemed like she wanted it! I’ll miss her scheming though…

11. Kat says:

I loved to hate her and she was great.. I think that character deserves more than off screen farewell..I will hate when they tell us that they found out about the miscarriage and kicked her out.. that should have been done on screen…I hope that we going to get somebody equally bad or even worst… otherwise it will be too boring.. I am not sure Thomas can carry all the evil himself lol

12. Elaine Bondra says:

People, when the actor refuses to cvome back to film more episodes, it kind of limits how to write their departure from Dowton. And they did give us plenty of warning in the last episode.

13. Leigh says:

Keep Thomas!! I have to see if his romance with Jimmy (who, c’mon, is so in the closet) blossoms as I hope. Also, Mary. Mary must be kept, of course. She must find love again (preferably with Tom). And Violet. There is no “Downton” without the Dowager Countess. Also, Cora and Robert. Carson. Mrs. Huges. Edith. Daisy and Mrs. Patmore………okay, basically no one else can leave.

14. Monica4185 says:

What! Nooo O’Brien I going to missed her. I bet we’ll hear about her a lot because her nephew is still at Downton. Hello Alfred.

15. Eliza says:

I’m not surprised. It definitely was hinted at during the last episode when she clearly stated that she wanted a job where she could travel and then courted the bitter Lady Flintshire after her maid tried to get O’Brien drunk. I also think that she wants to leave Downton while she is able to get a good reference and before the whole soap incident is revealed, especially since she thinks that Bates knows. If she is getting a new job and the actor leaving is between seasons, it makes sense for it to happen off screen.

I hope that that she leaves without getting her “just rewards.” It would be more realistic. Evil/malicious people often get away without any reprisals from their actions. Unfair but, as the old adage goes, life isn’t fair.

I will miss her, her shenanigans, and finding out more about her background. I liked how the writers made her a more complex character than she was originally written.

16. Astrid says:

Let me start with I really love Downton Abbey!! One of my favorite shows ever <3
    I'm not so sad about O'brien leaving, but I hope they will at least tell us why. But I think they will..

17. Why would any actor leave this show? You are not going to find a better role anywhere else than Downton Abbey. Of all the departed characters Obrien will leave the biggest hole to fill. Im very disappointed in this

• LeeAnn says:

She has a lead role on another show. She’s been filming two shows a year and might just be tired.

• TV Gord says:

I’m sure that’s what people said about Julianna Margulies when she left E.R. Now she’s on The Good Wife, playing the greatest role of her career (in my opinion). Sometimes, change is good.

18. Alichat says:

So, who will Thomas fight with now that O’Brien is gone?!

• Monica4185 says:

Someone who is equally as evil as O’Brien. I’m sure a unpleasant maid will come in to stir up trouble.

19. Larc says:

It shouldn’t be hard finding somebody who can play an interesting new maid for her ladyship. There are several plausible reasons O’Brien could be leaving. In addition to going to work for the Marchioness of Flintshire (Mrs. Shrimpy) or bailing out of fear because she thinks Bates knows about the “M’Lady’s soap,” she could just get fired. After all, Lord Grantham now knows courtesy of Bates that she is a mischief maker.

I can understand why some in Downton Abbey could want out, especially those in less than primary roles. With only 9 episodes a season, it’s not a full-time gig even by usual series standards. Yet it’s demanding enough to keep an actor from accepting more regular work that would likely provide greater income.

20. Tom says:

Maybe at the end of next season they ought to just rent a bus and send all the departing characters off a cliff at the same time. Is working on this show particularly hellish? Or does the popularity of the show make everyone on it think they are intergalactic stars? I’m not really sure any of this past season’s departures will hurt the show all that much.

21. Jan says:

I’m sorry to see the O’Brien character leave. You never knew what she was going to do next! Now who will keep Thomas in line!

22. Chris Burns says:

I think they should drop a piece of carved stonework from the roof on O’Brien and finish her off that way! Big SPLAT!!!!

23. Stef says:

No conclusion to the whole “Her Ladyship’s Soap” story then.
    Darn. I was looking forward to that…lol

24. janet says:

O’Brien was such a witch it would have been AWESOME to see her get a come-uppance she so deserved.
    As for Lady Mary: I think we are supposed to dis-like her…it just pisses me off that she’ll land another BF while poor Edith (who I adore) is left to be … Oh well maybe this is better .. A successful writer and feminist.
    (Maybe this BF will find out about Mr Pamuk and dump her ass due to it)

25. mia says:

thats disappointing. As much as she was an awful character, she is part of Downton.
    But really, the show could just be Maggie Smith talking to the camera and I’d still watch.

26. Ebay4Ever says:

I stopped watching because of Sybil’s death lost interest of the show.

27. Whatever says:

They should just replace the actress and continue the storyline.
    It’s just sad that Finneran is taking the actions of her on screen persona O’brien personally.
    Stopping her storyline seems a bit drastic after the loss of Matthew & Sybil .

28. Shay says:

Love “Lady Mary!” The Dowager Countess and she make the entire show….ever since the beginning these two have been the stand-out, indispensible characters. Although there are many other other fabulous cast members, Downton wouldn’t be Downton without these two main ladies! Mary’s romance with Matthew was a slow-growing, star-crossed one, and it was so exciting, frustrating and ultimately, heart-breaking to witness…quite true to life!!! Wish Dan Stevens had not departed, but that is what it is…hope they find a worthy successor to win over his grieving widow’s heart. That being said, while there are many endearing and interesting portrayals featured on this program, there’s also a good variety of really annoying characters that need to go: Edith, Isobel, Cora and even, yes, Tom, although I’m sure that won’t be happening since so many seem to be taken with him. P.S. A bit off subject: While I’m certainly not looking forward to the eventual end of the series, I somehow imagine Downton’s farewell to include a (now) aged “Lady Mary” (Played by “Dame Maggie” herself) bidding the Abbey adieu alongside her handsome son and heir who will just happen to be a dead ringer for his late father (If Stevens deigns to return for a final “one-off….) Just a thought, but a perfect notion on how to close down the show when the time arrives….none too soon one sincerely hopes!!!!!

29. Britta Unfiltered says:

This show is practically DOA. Let’s kill it with fire.

30. Morgan says:

What’s all this hate for Mary? She is definitely a bitch but I love her. And I don’t really mind O’Brien not being on the show anymore, I didn’t like her at all.

31. Susan says:

O’Brien was such an interesting villian to watch for much of the show (along with Thomas). The actress did such a great job depicting all the emotions she had to keep under the surface in doing her job. She will be missed.

32. Whitney says:

I think I missed the “We Hate Lady Mary/Michelle Dockery” Memo. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinon, but even if you don’t like the character, don’t hate on the actress. In my personal opinion, I think Dockery portrays Lady Mary as her father’s daughter: a little cold, very cavalier & somewhat resistant to modern changes. All of this is very apt for the time period, regardless of how bitchy it makes modern viewers see her. I think there have been concessions and attempts to soften her character this season. Notably, the episode where Mary & Matthew talk and she mentions how he’s the only one who sees her as kind.

• BTM says:

And Lady Mary was capable of great kindness. In a society where much of the staff is supposed to be invisible, she took pity on William and let him know he must go to his mother. Dang. In real life, that sort of thing just wouldn’t happen.

When Tom was Branson, the Chauffeur, she personally protected him from punishment for Lady Sybil’s injuries.

As cold and haughty as she can be–which fits her station–she is capable of heroic kindness.

33. Alice Kelley says:

I confess that I watched as much to follow the relationship between Anna Smith and John Bates as for any other reason. Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes were a treat, too. Whether I’ll watch next season remains to be seen.

34. Steph says:

Why did Dan Stevens leave?

35. Didi says:

Mary, is genteel, refined and very aware of the aristocratic upbring she has recieved. She is
    well spoken, great go-to girl in a crisis. I find her character good, and appealing. Some of you people want everything, and are forgetting the era. People are expected to uphold their class distinctions, AT ALL COSTS. Mary walks that fine line well. She is also devoted, and loyal to her parents, and the role they play. Well, I could go on and on, but some of you people are truly unappreciative.

• MacLean says:

Agreed! Didi. Well said

• Lucie says:

I totally agree with Didi. I like Mary a lot. We have to remember the era. I see this series as superbly entertaining, with the beautiful photography, costumes, backgrounds. If you don’t like it…why are you watching it? Just go somewhere else. Millions of us are loving it and enjoying a fun “get-away” mentally…it’s fun to be “somewhere else”, watching the mores and peccadilloes of people years ago in G.B. Go away if you’re going to be so critical. Just let us who love it, love it! Fun escape from car chases, explosions, vulgarity, sexual innuendos, violence, guns, etc. etc. etc. This series is fresh, fun, entertaining and fun to know about a different era and different social level…I’m sure most of us watching would not be living with them or even socializing with them! One can only dream.

36. Terry says:

I’s like to see Lady Crawley get opportunities to do more than putter around trying to appease Lord Wimp, fluttering her lashes and looking like a house elf.

37. L. Whan says:

the actors are all brilliant in this show it is sad to see any of them go….. just wish the season was a little longer….. as for me a little older it brings a certain amount of fond memories in tradition and respect something that is missing or a miss these days….

• Lucie says:

You can tell by the comments, how tradition and respect is missing today. Manners…wow…it would be a better world if we exercised those manners. Manners are basically being considerate of others, right?

38. Marny CA says:

An extraordinary story, characters, and first season. Then it started downhill into a soap opera, IMNSHO.

The show had so much to offer on many levels – and for some reason they allowed it to Deep 6. Sad. Not many shows on television have what Downton Abbey HAD.

39. kay krine says:

The show needs a villain. Even if another villain is brought on board, the evil O’Brien should have suffered her comeuppance. Disappointed that she didn’t trip on one of the baby’s toys and fly down the steps ending up totally paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of her life, and sent to an uncaring cruel relative greedy for the generous paycheck from unsuspecting Lady Grantham.

40. Annie Blue says:

I liked O’Brien – she showed many facets and knew herself to be wrong….I like the fact that she is probably taking on the job of Lady Maid to Rose’s Mother and getting to travel to climes warm….and perhaps ending with them in London – where she has never been. A lot more exciting and she will be a great asset to them, I would think. And you never know she may pop up at Downton with her Mistress down the road. :) Mary plays a role of the times – the heroine….I think she can be a bit one dimensional though does the most with what she has….I wondered about the Mathew character perhaps starting to be a little ordinaire. I like Edith played by a clever actress…excellent….and I like the newspaper man and hope the legality changes for his getting a divorce….in season 4… It is time for Edith to have her life and happiness which she dearly wants. And for the family to stop stopping her….especially the boring pain in the you know what Earl. Also like Tom a lot and hope he has face time in his new role in Downton….and forget the maids chasing him…he has to grow in strength… Like the young footmen – they are terrific. Don’t like Jimmy being friends with Thomas – a leopard doesn’t change its spots – I see that story line as depressing and totally out of it all – don’t forget the character shot himself in the hand to get out of the war – he is a coward and a nasty piece….maybe one of the new male actors will take him away from Downton and we will get a different actor/character… Seems to be quite a few coming in a Valet – and two male suitors for Mary’s Hand….Love Julian Oveden – terrific actor with charisma… and a singer who knew… he was Foyle’s son the pilot in Foyle’s War in case anyone doesn’t know….. just had a baby son recently….kind of fits in a strange way. then of course the welsh actor – don’t know him…. Well I did write a lot didn’t I…… Cheers to all….can’t wait for Season 4 and Maggie Smith…. :)

41. People settle down, it’s only a story.

42. DaveSF says:

Loved to hate O’Brien…She’ll be a hard act to follow

43. DaveSF says:

Mary is bit like Scarlet O’Hara…rich, spoiled, not sure what she wants. Will she be tough or pathetic next season? I’d bet on tough.

44. ' says:

I suggest that if you don’t like the characters and/or the show, you don’t watch it and stop boring the rest of us who do.

45. Jamie Tracey says:

I don’t see what others see,…..I think Mary is a great character and my heart is going to break for the love of her life to be gone. This has been an incredible journey in three seasons…I can’t wait for season 4!!

46. sharon says:

After reading all these comments, the only thing you can say is DA is a hit. Why else would so many people love or hate it? Everyone is talking about it. I love all the characters just the way they are because they all make the story so interesting. I love to hate the ones I love and love the ones I hate! I wouldn’t change any of them.

• Luci Garvin says:

great show!but if it follow any of my thoughts such as- blonde sister gets pregnant by editor-lord grantham’s love interest(the maid with son) returns(maybe becomes lady grantham’s new maid———-then i guess that would ruin it for me.luci

47. freya says:

,MATHEW AND MARY ARE THE BEST CHARACTERS EVER!!!!!!! AND BOTH MICHELLE DOCKERY AND DAN STEVENS MAKE MY TOP 5 FAVORITE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO DOWNTON ABBEY !!!!!!!!!!

48. Nancy Williams says:

Now that Matthew is dead, is there someone other than his child that will become the heir? We don’t know that the succession is confirmed yet. Who knows, Patrick from Season 2 may come back again. Edith’s editor won’t be able to divorce his mentally-ill wife. I believe that law in Britain didn’t change until about 1937. Her only hope in this situation is if the wife dies. Let’s hope he won’t be suspected as causing her death. I don’t think the fans could endure another murder trial
    Nancy w.

49. daphne says:

.. ah, but I was so hoping (how uncharitable of me!) O’Brien would, one day be ‘found out’ and have to face consequences for her causing Ladyship’s terrible, slippery-soap-induced miscarriage !

other than that.. an excellent, entertaining hour- as usual. the actors, direction, artistic direction are first-rate.

Bravo to the whole cast and crew ! thank you !