Pilot Scoop: Dennis Haysbert to Back Up Backstrom in CBS Drama

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

haysbertDennis Haysbert has signed on to CBS’ drama pilot Backstrom, TVLine has learned.

The project, written and exec-produced by Hart Hanson (Bones), is based on the Swedish book series about an overweight, offensive and irascible detective as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior. Leif G.W. Persson and Niclas Salomonsson also serve as EPs.

RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on All of This Fall’s Possible Newcomers

Haysbert will play Det. John Almond, a detective working with the off-putting lead character.

Haysbert’s TV credits include The Unit24 and Now and Again.

Comments (9)

• President David Palmer yeah baby

Comment by dude – March 1, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now and Again is hands down my favorite ever CBS show and I have loved Dennis Haysbert and Eric Close ever since. Fingers crossed this gets picked up because it’ll be so good to see Dennis back on our screens again.

Comment by Sandy – March 1, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A dumb procedural on CBS? Color me shocked.

Comment by JJ – March 1, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch Dennis Haysbert in ANYTHING. This is fantastic news! Let’s hope CBS orders a season.

Comment by LynnH – March 1, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! Nice to have him back in a TV series.

Comment by TVDIVA – March 1, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet anything that CBS is trying to lure William Peterson back to TV to play the role of Backstrom!

Comment by ragincajun – March 2, 2013 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Dennis Haysbert! Miss him and the guys in The Unit!

Comment by Elaine Wigmert – March 2, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Dennis Haysbert is the best thing that scripted network TV shows have going for them. While I first remember him from the cheesy 80′s movie, Navy SEALS, I started watching his work with 24 Season 1. When he reached “The Unit”, it was some of his best work yet.

I’ve simply been waiting for someone to cast him for a new action TV series and now we have it. I was just hoping that “The Unit” would get new life in one form or the other.

Comment by kenichi tanaka – March 2, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dennis is always stellar one of my favs

Comment by dude – March 2, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post