Ratings: Psych Returns Up, Duck Dynasty Soars

Ratings Psych Season 7 PremierePsych-Os were out in good force on Wednesday night, as the USA Network series returned to 2.9 million viewers and a 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demo, up from the so-so-so-long-ago Season 6 finale (2.7 mil/0.9) and on par with the Oct. 2011 Season 6 opener (3 mil/1.0).

USA points out that Psych’s return also enjoyed a larger audience and 18-34 demo number than any of its (handful of) 2012 episodes, and was up 20 percent from its year-ago midseason premiere.

RELATED | Ratings: Modern Family Eyes Its First-Ever Win Over Idol, Chicago Fire Tops CSI

Cable’s big winner on Wednesday, however, was the Season 3 premiere of Duck Dynasty, which with 8.6 million total viewers and a 3.9 demo rating dominated all non-broadcast rivals and gave A&E its most watched, highest rated telecast of anything, ever.

1. LOL says:

More “reality” crap. What a sad sign for quality scripted shows.

2. kirads09 says:

Yay Quack Pack Rules Jack!

3. Babybop says:

Yay! Go Psych!!

4. Elyse says:

woooohoooo Psych!!!!!!

5. Amber says:

That 10 month hiatus can suck it. Plain and simple. Psych FTW.

6. dude says:

great news about Psych and hopefully since we returned dont break up this season and please extend season 8 fans tune in to the best comedy imo of course

7. Esaul says:

I’m glad Psych returned up. It’s been worth the wait to see those numbers. I’d love for USA to reconsider the season 8 episode count (unlikely), or allow another season and not let season eight be the last.

8. Kelly says:

I love Psych!

9. Hector Zumwalt says:

I’m glad Psych returned up. It was USA that kept it off so long and it shows how loyal the fans are to return after a year when most shows would be DOA…probably how Revolution will be. I’m sure DVR will boost it bc I know I have it recorded.

10. Marc says:

Psych-OOOOOO. Great episode. Good to have it back after way too long of a break. Lets hope for a longer season 8

11. Jake says:

James Roday really should be nominated for best actor.

• Sg. Grant says:

James Roday really should go on a diet.

I love the show, but man has he put on some weight over the last few years.

• Brooke says:

Oh good grief. What a useless, mean spirited comment.

• Bell says:

i love him to, but look at Dule Hill. He hasn’t gained any weight, and I want Roday to be as healthy as possible. The same thing happened with Alec Baldwin. Over the course of 30 Rock he gained an unnatural amount of weight for his height and size. and then he lost so much and went back to be soooo healthy. So, yeah that comment sounded mean, but really, i know what he meant. Psych is still my favorite show (forever and always).

12. Susan says:

This should make USA give PYSCH a 16 episode order for season 8,right? This show is consistently great! Kudos to everyone involved with PYSCH….

• Esaul says:

I’ve tweeted (as have others) someone from USA. They rarely increase episode orders. More often than not they decrease episode orders. The show is getting old, so the cost is going up. The ratings is a huge plus, but I don’t think that would be enough to give us more episodes, unless it shattered records.

13. Emily says:

What the… what is Duck Dynasty even about…?

14. Nicholas Franzi says:

Big fan of Physch, but terribly disappointed in the writing. The plot made no sense, and it appears the winters are just tring to create gags , rather than tell a good story. Juliethas been reduced to a marginal 2 dimensional role. Will Shaun’s character ever develop?

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I wasn’t too impressed with the Psych premiere, but it did have that really great Short Circuit joke that made me guffaw, so it gets points for that.
    I don’t watch Duck Dynasty but I have been forced to watch it once before. I don’t get the appeal, and I thought it was really stupid. It’s just another show about over-privileged people and how nobody ever calls them on their sh*t, and their antics never have repercussions, but yet America will just eat it all up with a spoon. Ain’t it wacky? Everyone I know watches it, but everyone I know also watches American Idol and Grey’s Anatomy. So maybe I just need to hang out with a better class of people.
    My apologies for my comments, I am in a mood tonight. I’m super depressed, and will be seeing myself out now. I’ll feel better when I can get home to watch Portlandia. I hope.