Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Walking Dead, Beast Sex, Castle, Scandal & More

Once Upon a Time SpoilersIs Once Upon a Time‘s Regina truly back to being a bad girl? Will Beauty and the Beast give new meaning to “safe” sex? Who’s back from the Dead? Will Castle be left in a father daze? Get answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Once Upon a Time | Since many – myself included – have speculated that Cora cast some sort of spell on her daughter, and that’s why Regina seems to have abandoned her redemption tour, I asked the series’ creators if we are onto something. Short answer: Nope. As Eddy Kitsis reminds, “In Episode 9, we saw Regina say, ‘I have to kill you, Mother. Your grip on my heart is too strong.’ So while the audience is right to be wary of Cora, and Regina is right to be wary of her mother’s true intentions, we can never forget how important the need to get your mom’s approval and love is.” Adam Horowitz meanwhile offered this teaser for fans of Lana Parrilla’s ever-unpredictable alter ego: “We’re going to see some Regina unleashed!”

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Emma and Neal Have ‘The Talk,’ Rumple Gets ‘Mugged’

Beauty and the Beast | Admit it. You’re curious. Because VinCat’s first kiss surely will lead to a second, and … etcetera. So, should the lady cop be worried about him beasting out mid-coitus? EP Brian Peterson, whose Smallville dealt with a similar sitch (with Clark/Lana/”super-sex”), tells me that after Season 1 resumes March 14 , “We definitely play that [question] — and we play it much more on Vincent’s side, because he has so many fears about who he is and what that could turn into.” That said, Peterson says that — in part because it’s simply “not very sexy” — “We didn’t want to make it such a big deal. So it is absolutely addressed, but it definitely is not a major, major plot point.”

RELATED | Walking Dead Names Scott M. Gimple as New Showrunner, Replacing Glen Mazzara

The Walking Dead | A quick heads-up for this Sunday’s episode: One of the major characters is going to get quite the blast from the past, and as Michonne makes headway with Carl and Rick, be prepared to lay witness to the katana-carrying badass’ softest moments to date.

Smash | Karen may be doing her best to get Jimmy’s Hit List off the ground, but it’s her roomie Ana who will land one of the lead roles once it takes shape. “It’ll be interesting to see how two friends who are very close handle rivalry in the business,” series newbie Krysta Rodriguez told me. “You see how you maneuver a relationship that can sometimes be tricky.” But first things first: The gals will hold a reading of the boys’ musical, at their cozy digs.

And now, diving into the reader mailbag — starting with a Castle trifecta….

James Brolin was so good as Castle’s father. Will Martha and Kate hear the entire story? –Cynthia
We will have to assume they both were utterly regaled by the overseas espionage tale, because as Nathan Fillion told us at the show’s 100th episode party, there’s “nothing in the episodes that we’ve filmed” since the two-parter that calls back to the paternal reveal. As for how the long-awaited father/son meeting played out, Fillion said he was “very satisfied,” explaining, “To find out that his dad has had a hand in his life ever since he was kid, that his dad has been there in the wings, I think, for Castle, is a good feeling. He can’t have any feelings of, ‘I was abandoned.’ He knows now his dad has been a shadow.”

Was Castle‘s second kidnapping really shot in Paris? Or on a sound stage? –Leslie
Molly Quinn confirmed that she, director Rob Bowman and her TV dad’s stuntman got to travel to France for a quickie shoot – yet nonetheless fielded tons of teasing/envy, especially from Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever. Says the actress, “I kept telling them, ‘I feel bad. I wish we could all go. But really, I’m going to go there, I’m going to be jet-lagged. I’m going to work three days and then I come back, I’ll be jet-legged again and then I have to get back to work!'”

Can you tell me the name of the actor who played Henri on this week’s Castle? I have seen him in other shows and cannot place him. –Marty
That was Christopher Heyerdahl being suitably sketchy as Castle’s double-crossing cohort. You may know him from such series as Hell on the Wheels!, The Stargate of Atlantis! and Space Sanctuary!

RELATED | Scandal Exclusive: Mad Men Minx Cast as Hollis Doyle’s Wife

Where do I go to find spoilers on Scandal? –Dorrett
Do not go to one of those “big box” stores; they’re killing the local mom-and-pop merchant. Instead, ask me – because I’ve got one! The long-lens photographer who’s snapping a pic of Olivia with Jake in the promo for the March 21 episode? He’s going to really regret doing that.

What does the Season 3 finale of Pretty Little Liars hold for us? -Fernando
Just as I was hand-crafting this week’s column, ‘Nando, this official synopsis for the March 19 season ender, titled “A dAngerous gAme,” arrived from ABC Family: “Spencer is back home and presenting a good front, but Aria, Hanna and Emily are not so sure their friend is fully back after seeing how fragile she was just a day or so before. Unfortunately the girls don’t have much time to ponder Spencer’s health as shocking revelations are brought to the forefront. With so much happening and new information being uncovered, will the Liars be ready for what is waiting for them?”

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Get Deadly Once Upon a Time Scoop in the New Episode of Spoiler Alert!

1. tw says:

Thanks all you got on Scandal? Really? And I had to scroll all the way to the bottom to read….nothing.

• Plum says:

Darn, no new Scandal? I’m going into withdrawal. I’m guessing Jake will make sure no one knows he’s dating Olivia; seems like they’re doing a whole big No Way Out thing there, even down to the Naval uniform and the “we’ve got a mole” thing with Fitz. I hope Jake sticks around to cause trouble on Scandal.

• Rachel says:

Well, technically no one *is* dating Olivia right now, she did say she isn’t dating…weak, but semantics count when you’re trying not to lie to the leader of the free world!

2. Michelle says:

Christopher Heyerdahl also played Alastar on supernatural…one of his creepiest roles yet! Thanks for the scoop!

• Rose says:

and if you got two of the three show names wrong, have to wonder how accurate everything else is.

• NeutronBlue says:

Actually, all three of the shows are named incorrectly! ***You may know him from such series as Hell on the Wheels!(Hell on Wheels), The Stargate of Atlantis! (Stargate Atlantis) and Space Sanctuary! (Sanctuary)*** Someone must have had a little too much wine! : )

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Yes, I couldn’t place why I hated him so much and didn’t trust him… then I remembered this tidbit. He’s so stinkin’ creepy!!!

• Mimi says:

Its sanctury. And also one of the volturi. In twilight

• JenF says:

He was on this previous season of True Blood as Dieter Braun in the Vampire Authority.

• Vannesa says:

He also was Marcus in the Twilight Saga movies.

• indeed, he was both John (Jack the ripper) and Bigfoot, in sanctuary, he was the Wraith Todd in Stargate Atlantis, he was also a few other characters in that show, plus in Stargate SG1 for a couple too, in Hell on Wheels, i think he deserves an award, Fantastic acting.

love his voice, so gravelly

• lil ole me says:

Christopher Heyerdahl is the bomb! I’m surprised to see him working in the states… usually, if it’s a TV show shot in Canada – especially of the supernatural variety – he’s there. :)

3. Toni says:

I’ve been torn on Smash. I could care less about the new roommate and even at times Jimmy and Kyle. I want the show to go back to Bombshell with the core cast.

4. Frivolouswhim says:

I am ready for Regina unleashed, yep.

5. Louise says:

I can usually relate to Kitsis/Horowitz views on their characters, but I’m afraid when it comes to Regina in the second half of this season of OUAT I’m not buying it. The change is just too extreme and too sudden.
    It also didn’t help that they devoted relatively little time to the Cora-Regina relationship since Cora revealed herself to Regina. Cora succeeded in “turning” Regina in two scenes and that’s not enough for me.
    I’m still looking forward to the rest of the season and to what Lana Parrilla and Barbara Hershey are going to do with the Regina-Cora story.

• Frivolouswhim says:

I think Regina desperately wanting her mother’s love and approval makes sense (even/especially since she treated her horribly). But it’s a complicated relationship that they didn’t spend time focusing on at this stage, instead we got an episode dedicated to the giant and one dedicated to Whale. Bad timing I think.

• Louise says:

Yes, I agree. What they’re explaining makes sense, but I would have liked to see it play out on screen and we didn’t get enough of that in my opinion. The Whale episode was very unfortunate because while his personal story wasn’t terribly lame at all it didn’t add much to the overall story arc of the moment at that time and since it was the episode in which Cora revealed herself to Regina one or two more scenes for them could have made quite a difference. Since Cora succeeded in winning Regina over the momentum was gone after this episode too. I totally agree – bad timing.

• sara says:

Totally agree. That episode shouldn’t have been about Whale, it should have been about Cora and Regina.

• Mary says:

But how would that make sense with the arrival of the outsider who was near death?

• Frivolouswhim says:

Easily. They could have dealt with the outsider the same, except instead of Whale’s backstory, they could have focused on Regina/Cora reunion, and have Whale’s backstory an ep later or earlier. His backstory was actually interesting but it came at a time when two things happening on the show were, imo, more intriguing: Regina/Cora reunion and the outsider coming in.

• Drew says:

Am I the only one who thinks that Regina is playing Cora?

• sara says:

Not really extreme or sudden. It’s her mom. She lover her mom and wants her mother to love her. And since her own son doesn’t care, she’s succumbed to the only person offering her love.

• Mary says:

I really couldn’t buy her attempts at trying to be good as it was going way too fast.

6. JR says:

Seriously three articles on Castle and not one a spoiler or an upcoming tease. Hate to break it to you, but there are about 100 other primetime shows.

7. And it’s really JUST Sanctuary, not Space Sanctuary….. ;)

8. iMember says:

Matt, I love you, but please give us some scoop on Revenge! We’re all still dying after the last episode.

9. Dan Sorenson says:

In regard to Christopher Heyerdahl, I have never heard of Space Sanctuary, but he was on Sanctuary.

10. Danyelle says:

So many crybabies…. LOL …. Thanks for the Castle scoop, Matt, tho frankly I am quite sad that it sounds like that storyline will be go unmentioned. It was kind of a big deal for him!!!

• Lauren says:

ICAM , that bums me out too. You’d think there’d be at least a mention, or Kate checking in on how he’s feeling.

• Sable says:

The episode was extraordinary. Castle is known to keep stories on the back burner for a while and then bring them back when least expected. My hunch and my hope is that they will do this with Rick’s dad. James Brolin is too good in the role to just leave it there forever. Some scenes between Brolin and Susan Sullivan would be fantastic. I can see several ways the character can come back into play from time to time.

• Jen says:

Not to mention him with Molly Quinn. Alexis only heard her grandfather’s voice on the talky. She’s never seen him but (obviously) he’s seen her. I hope in the future they bring him back so Martha, Kate, and Alexis can actually see/meet him in person.

• asdf says:

I hope he comes back too, but the real issue is Brolin’s availability. His wife is a big Castle fan, which is how they got him in the first place, but that may not automatically lead to follow-up appearances.

I’m sure the fans, the cast, and the crew are all eager for more Brolin, but ultimately it’s his call whether and how he wants to stay engaged with the show. Best case scenario– occasional recurring role. Worst case scenario: we never see him again.

• Sable says:

All you say is, of course, true. The most I am hoping for is the occasional appearance, maybe one or two per season, as was done with Stephen Cannell and James Patterson in the poker games. More than that, although enjoyable, would not fit the character of Rick’s father anyway.

11. Aleksa says:

A blast from the past on Walking Dead? Morgan, maybe?

12. Azerty says:

I am wondering what kind of “blast from the past” it is on TWD and for who…
    Otherwise I don’t want to complain or anything but please don’t pretend to give a “scoop” when you just copy the official synopsis of PLL. I read it a few hours ago and everybody can find it on a lot of websites. That is definitly not a scoop…

13. Naazneen says:

Beauty and the beast- OMG yay. It’s not going to be a HUGE deal.

14. Patti says:

I love Regina as evil. I am not one to like or love to hate villains but she is so incredible as evil.

15. Josh says:

I’m not a fan of them dropping the redemption storyline of Regina. I’m just losing my interest in Once :=/

16. Liesl says:

Beauty and the Beast is heating up on Mar 14. VinCat sex….is going to be SOMETHING ELSE! I will not miss it for the world! You shouldn’t either. #HOTMALEPERFECTION

17. mia says:

Oh Regina, I want her to find redemption so badly.

18. Drew says:

Beauty and the Beast’s biggest weakness is that they’re afraid to not be sexy. First, their “beast” is an underwear model with a scar who only gets ugly for a second or two when the camera gets shaky. Now, they’re worried about complicating the sex scenes by making even that condition too much of a big deal.

Sex sells, I guess. But the show can’t be accused of putting story above all. They should just have him cured, so he never has to worry about it again. What’s the point? So far, it hasn’t kept him from going out with Catherine, or walking the streets like a normal person. It hasn’t kept him from hanging out with her sister or going to her father’s wedding. It hasn’t kept him from spending time with his ex. It’s not going to prevent the sex scenes. So, what should be a very isolated character is starting to look like he has more of a social life than most of the people I know.

The show isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It’s certainly better than TVD. But they need to get their priorities straight. The fact that they’re even a couple already is a mistake. It’s the first season, for crying out loud.

The Chloe/Davis story on Smallville was played better. Of course, I don’t think that Vincent needs to turn evil, but the complications and emotions behind all of it were much more complex with Davis.

• Autumn says:

Glad that someone else hasn’t forgotten Chloe and Davis! I agree that that one was handled better (because they did more beast) but the horrible ending ruined it. Reminds me again why it bugs me to hear Brian Peterson talk and write for Beauty and the Beast after what he did (which I still hate with a fiery fiery passion)…Anyway, Vincent and Catherine aren’t a perfect tv relationship but at least I am entertained. Just give me more beast and less normal, everyday drama. Do some more action romance. That would be good. Hope more people will give the show a chance though. It has so much potential.

19. elle says:

Bring on the BEAST SEX pronto, I can’t wait another 14 episodes for that action like I did the kiss, #BATB love this show.

20. jett says:

Vincent and Catherine Sex! BEASTLY SEX! feels like WOW!

21. jett says:

Love the Show more and more! Beauty and the Beast all the way from Canada!

22. Nora says:

I think Cora winning over Regina so fast is quite believable actually. Regina is desperate for love and approval. She doesn’t get it from Henry and thinks Cora is the only one who cares about her. It makes sense to me though I too wish they’d spent more time on that relationship in the last few episodes.
    I love all facets of Regina’s character. I’m looking forward to seeing her ‘unleashed’ and I’m positive she’ll turn her back on her mom before the season ends.

23. Lisa says:

Thanks for the Castle details. What a PERFECT episode Hunt was.

24. Fabrice says:

I’m sorry if my English is not that good. But thank you for talking about my favorite show.

25. Lena says:

Why would anyone ask where they can find Scandal scoops when this site gives an abundance of scoops about that show? More than most shows actually. Anyway, thanks for all the scoops.

26. Renee says:

Thank you Matt! I’ve been very curious about how they were planning to deal with the sex issue. I glad it’s not going to be a huge deal. Because I’m really hoping to see a lot more of Vincent/Jay Ryan a whole lot more frequently.

27. kirads09 says:

“we can never forget how important the need to get your mom’s approval and love is.”
    That was one of my thoughts all along. She wants to believe her mother loves her. This is why I love the character of Regina. She is complex and not one dimensional. Lana does such an incredible job at portraying all the aspects of her.
    Regina unleashed? Bring it on.

28. Erica says:

wow – I can’t believe that they didn’t know who Christopher Heyderhal was!

29. Mike says:

I Ann conflicted about Regina’s storyline this season on ONCE, on one hand Lana Parilla plays one incredible villain and that is what made her so compelling last season, on another her path to redemption and building a bond with Henry is just as interesting, but I feel it is just too early in the show for her to be good. If say let her be a great villain for a 1-2 more seasons and show her redemption each season but not as abrupt as it seemed this season. The creators reason for Regina working with Cora make sense it was just poorly shown on screen.

30. Britta Unfiltered says:

I really hope it’s Shane making another appearance as a ghost that haunts Rick. Maybe we can get some dialogue this time. Maybe he’ll still look like Wolverine.

31. forwarddad says:

Thinking maybe Huk no like the long lens photographer?

32. Elyse says:

pretty little liars :) my favorite!!

33. Ash says:

I am convinced that the guy in the mask you see on the preview for on the next walking dead is Morgan!! The guy sounded like him! i don’t know maybe I just watched it late and my eyes were playing tricks on me..but I swear I saw his son Dwayne all zombied out in one of the last shots!

• Mike says:

It’s Morgan, the fact that they’re calling this a spoiler is ridiculous, it’s been confirmed he appears in episode 12, the next episode.

34. Dominique says:

The Stargate of Atlantis, and Space Sanctuary?!!
    Oh my, that just hurts. How hard is it to get those names right?

35. magicdancer says:

I’m sure many readers will know Christopher Heyerdahl as Marcus, one of The Volturi, in all the Twilight movies.

36. Paloma says:

Castle in France was clearly shot with green screen and a very poor job was done with that technology, I found it very distracting.

• TJCrinc says:

it actually looked like it was done with mid-90’s green screen tech. the very noticable purple tint on areas that were green screened gave it away.

37. ChicagoGrrl says:

I recognized Christopher Heyerdahl from Supernatural.

38. I feel like nearly everyone’s motives in OUAT are unclear and/or have faded away. Regina’s forgiveness and teaming up with her mother is as lazy writing as Cora’s shape-shifting abilities.

39. Lori says:

More of Karen being in the background on SMASH? NO! I don’t care about the new roomie and hate the idea of Karen with Jimmy! Give me the Karen the up and coming star and put her together with Derek!

• Moonlight4Ever says:

Snash:Get back to Bomshell & Bomshell only. Could care less about Jimmy & Kyle and the other new characters. Derek and Karen should be together.

Castle: Please learn how to light the show. Is it really Beckett & Castle kissing? How is the viewer supposed to tell when you shoot the FEW chaste kissing scenes in the dark! The Paris scenes reminded me of the awful green screen screens from The Goonies :0)

Scandal: Thanks for any scoop. It is the hottest show. I can not get enough of Olitz. I think Caskett should go to DC and hangout with Olitz from couple training!

40. Kali says:

Thank you very much for that insight into Beauty and the Beast! Loved Brian Peterson’s answer to your question. It makes sense that Vincent would worry about that since he has, understandably, issues with who he is and whether Catherine can really love all of him. But I am really glad they decided not to make it a major plot point. It would have felt weird if they had. Very happy beastie over here :)

41. Claudia says:

So Im hoping they actually get to the next level and go on with it, great news. Thanks for the Beauty and the Beast insight!

42. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday. It’s always useful to read articles from other writers and practice something from other websites. |

43. tkff says:

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good blog!%7

44. Anonymous says:

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?|

• magicdancer says:

I agree with Anonymous. But I think part of the problem is that this blog uses Word Press. WP is the least flexible of any blog layout I’m aware of. I especially dislike that comments can’t be previewed, edited or spell checked. And we can’t use itallics, bold or underline. The Word Press designers should be ashamed.