It's Official: Scott M. Gimple Named New Walking Dead Showrunner, Replacing Glen Mazzara

The Walking Dead Season 4 Scott GimpleAMC is finally confirming what TVLine reported in early January: Scott M. Gimple will succeed Glen Mazzara as The Walking Dead‘s new showrunner.

Gimple will take over at the start of the show’s fourth season, which begins production on May 6.

Additionally, co-executive producer/ special effects makeup supervisor and director Greg Nicotero and Producer Tom Luse have been promoted to executive producers.

“Scott has been an essential part of this show since he came aboard at the very beginning of Season 2,” said series creator Robert Kirkman in a statement. “He’s contributed to guiding this show in a substantial way that has resulted in a lot of the key scenes and storylines fans have dubbed signature moments. I am thrilled to begin work on a brand new season of The Walking Dead with Scott at the helm, and I truly believe we could be embarking on what will be the best season of this show yet.”

Added Gimple: “I’m thrilled to continue the tradition of the spectacular, cinematic, horrifying, exciting and emotional storytelling of The Walking Dead. I’m a huge fan of the comics, and started with the show on the other side of the set, as an avid viewer. Over the past two years, it’s been an incredible privilege making such great television with the best cast and crew I’ve ever worked with – I can’t wait to make some more.”

Gimple has penned five Dead episodes, including this season’s “Hounded” and and last season’s midseason finale “Pretty Much Dead Already.”

1. Chrissy says:

It sucks to lose Glen Mazzara, who I thought did a brilliant job in making the show better, but I’m glad they stuck with another insider for the job. Scott Gimple has written some of the best episodes of the series.

• Faster says:

Agree. Loved his episodes. I have high hopes.

• KevyB says:

Excuse me, but this whole season has been the work of Glen Mazzara and it has SUCKED. It remains to be seen whether Gimple would be good at eliminating the problems the show has had for much of the last two seasons, namely continued character stupidity and repetitive scenes. Honestly, if I see one more argument about whether someone should stay with the group or not. UGH!

2. After seeing the last 2 episodes, I understand and agree with Glen Mazzara leaving. He has basically thrown out the books altogether and devalued very key characters and storylines. As a huge fan of the book, a lot of the character decisions were just bad. The Tyreese character and the entire Governor storyline are just 2 examples. I’m not saying it has destroyed the show, it’s still good TV, but it has hurt the mythos and the show could have been so much better

• Lo says:

I’m torn about it, while I love the comic, I also think taking the show in a completely different direction means I get to both enjoy each medium AND be surprised by each in their own right. I think my only 2 gripes thus far are Andrea and Tyrese. Their character developments in the show have been horribly disappointing compared to the comic… but the flip side to that is Carol. She was so annoying in the comic, but she’s 100 times more awesome on the show :)

3. Ashley says:

Thank god he is leaving. I know this is a supposed to be somewhat different than the comics but the show is getting to be ridiculous. Glen Mazzara completely screwed up the prison arc.

4. JJ says:

Has Gimple been fired yet? It’s been nearly 2 hours.

• Evan says:

As long as he does whatever Kirkman wants, he won’t be fired. The nanosecond he says no to anything Kirkman says, he’s no doubt gone.

5. Teag says:

How many episodes is season 4?

6. Big Mike says:

For those people that constantly compare the comic to the show, you need to remember that you’re in the minority. A majority of fans watching the show do not read the comic books, and have little to no idea what happens in them.

For the people that only watch the show, it is been a great, exciting, intense program, that is loved just the way it is, current storyline/characters and all.

• Lo says:

I’m not so sure how accurate that is anymore. I am personally someone who read the comic previous to the show airing, but I really think the enormous popularity of the show has drawn many viewers to check out the comics too. It might still be a minority, but not by as wide a margin as when the show first aired. And I think the margin will further narrow each year the show is on. Having Talking Dead helps too because most of the celebrity guests are comic fans too and always tout the comic on the panel. If you haven’t read any, I highly recommend them :)

• Yet that still doesn’t mean that the character development and storylines in the comic were way better, as well as these were OUR characters first and to see them like this is kinda disappointing.

7. Lexdy says:

As long as the Carol (Caryl) character development continues I will be a pleased TWD fan.

I will never breathe easily being a Carol fan on this show (fans of the Comic will surely understand) but Melissa McBride has done such a wonderful job, I find hers to be the only character which Mazzara hasn’t completely butchered (and Hershel’s to an extent) Prime example being the monstrocity that is now Andrea’s character.

Here’s hoping Gimple understands that TWD WORKS because of its characters, not the gore, not the explosions and the deaths, the character developments MUST always take center stage.

• Al Z says:

Totally agree.story matters,characters matter.

• shksprsis says:

In fairness to Mazzara, he did not do this to Andrea’s character; her character was horrible during the Darabont days and has remained horrible. He just hasn’t done anything to fix it. He did, however, kill off Lori, so give him some credit.

• Lo says:

Given how VERY different Carol’s character development has been on the show, I think you can breathe easy :) I’m much more concerned about a particular character’s fate if they choose to start the Negan and The Saviors storyline. Anyone who’s read the comic knows what happens when one of our beloved characters meets “Lucille” (shudder)

8. James says:

For Fans of the Show/Comic I’d highly suggest that you guys find an Xbox or PS3 and go play The Walking Dead by Telltale games. It deviates with some characters from the show/comic but it has a whole new set of characters that, if you like the world of TWD then you can be sure to love the TWD game

9. Mikael says:

As long as Michonne sticks around, I’m good.

10. Bring more people to WD says:

Bring back Amy or Sophia or both somehow to show. Or make Alice character but just like one from comic :)

11. Jimmy says:

Some people believe season 3 was bad, but really, it wasn’t. Sure, it could have been much better, but compared to season 2, season 3 was like a glass of cold water for someone who just treked the sahara desert. That said, season 3 wasn’t as good as it could have been, and I don’t think they used Tyreese and Sasha right at all. I hope Scott Gimple touches up the show where it needs to be touched up, but other than that, what more can we ask for. I’m still pissed though, that Dale, Shane and T-Dog died. Those were easily 3 of my favourite characters, along with Daryl and Glen. I don’t know whose choice it was to kill off those three characters, but it was a bad one. If that was all Mazzara, then good riddance buddy!