Fox's Goodwin Games Gets a Premiere Date

Get More: News, Premieres

foley goodwin games 300Let The Goodwin Games begin!

Fox’s long-delayed comedy will premiere Monday, May 20 at 8:30/7:30c, star Scott Foley tweeted Wednesday.

The series — from How I Met Your Mother executive producers Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Chris Harris — stars Becki Newton, T.J. Miller and Foley as a trio of estranged siblings who must reconnect in order to inherit their late father’s fortune.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The comedy’s original 13-episode order was cut to seven in November; as Foley notes, those seven episodes will run consecutively.

In January, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly hinted that, due to his disinclination to mess with the network’s Tuesday evening comedy block, the series might not air until summer.

“If I thought Goodwin Games was going to be an injection of life to the [comedy block], I’d bring it on earlier,” he said, adding that Games “is a nice show, but I’m not sure it’s going to improve the night, ratings-wise.”

Comments (26)

• It’ll get cancelled on May 21st right?

Comment by Teag – February 27, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Fox. They will actually cancel it the morning of its first airing.

Comment by Bowman – February 27, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Remember Alien Nation, a science fiction show that aired on Fox? In one of the movies that followed, there was a bit in which one of the leads (I forget the character’s name) is watching a show on Fox that gets cancelled while in the middle of a joke thanks to instant-ratings results. That’s what might end up happening, heh.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 27, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so burn off mode then

Comment by Alan – February 27, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty much…

Comment by Gerald – February 27, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was the only new comedy I was expecting this season… Too bad it got to be a summer burn-off.

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – February 27, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed, only thing i was looking forward to
      maybe now that it is airing earlier there will be a better chance…

Comment by ctemd – February 27, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like fun. Love Becki Newton, just wish someone would come up with the right vehicle for her. That picture of Scott Foley is a little odd looking. Is it a picture of him in character? ‘Cause if so, it looks like he’s playing the dad. Or a cross between Jim Walsh the early years and Steve Douglas the even earlier years.

Comment by april-ann – February 27, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that’s about as much of a condemnation as you could possibly expect…

Comment by jamesoneshade – February 27, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would you bother to order a show and then say it’s not going to bring anything to your lineup? Seems like a waste of everyone’s time.

Comment by Lauren – February 27, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox saw the produced episodes and clearly felt the show was crap, which is why they cut the order and buried it in Summer rather than spending the money and effort launching it. Sometimes a promising pilot turns into a bad series.

Comment by Oliver – February 27, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really looking forward to this, but it seems to me as though they’ve already decided to kill it. Oh well, I guess I’ll just spend more time watching other networks.

Comment by Eric – February 27, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh well. LOVING Scott Foley on Scandal right now anyways!

Comment by j – February 27, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me, too! I’d hate to loose him there for a so so comedy. Scandal is scorching hot & so is Scott!

Comment by Kym – February 27, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • May I add that I’m loving Scott’s “Mister Rogers” look?

Comment by Eric – February 27, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. I’m liking it the more I look at it. A beautiful day in the neighborhood indeed. But I JUST realized that with those eyes and non-smile, he could be playing Jim Bakker in a made-for-tv movie! Who could play Tammy Faye? (And I better pack it in for today because at first thought, I was thinking maybe Jennifer Garner with LOADS of makeup because she’s great and could pull it off, but yikes, I think they — and I’m not talkin’ Jim and Tammy Faye — have somewhat of a history).

Comment by april-ann – February 27, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why bother even showing a show that the audience has no chane of seeing more of, I will tune because of the cast, but it unfortunate that go isn’t even giving this show a chance.

Comment by Mike – February 27, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, with Ben and Kate getting canceled wouldn’t this have been the perfect show to fill the slot earlier in the season? Stupid Fox.

Comment by Katie – February 27, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The clue is in Kevin Reilly’s comments… He clearly doesn’t believe it will do any better than Ben & Kate did, and as great as that show was, it’s dismal ratings were hurting their darling New Girl. Since new episodes of Raising Hope started airing at 8:30, New Girl’s ratings have ticked up, which is pretty much all they’re bothered about right now.

Comment by Dizzle – February 27, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Bent’, meet your new roommate ‘The Goodwin Games’

Comment by mia – February 27, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, I’ll probably watch it just because the regular shows I watch on Monday night swill be in repeat mode by that time.

Comment by Sg. Grant – February 27, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monday @ 8:30???? So what would be on at 8? Isn’t Monday at 8 usually Bones time slot

Comment by Ram510 – February 27, 2013 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones will have its season finale likely the week before.

Comment by Teag – February 28, 2013 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably repeats of New Girl, unless Fox has some heretofore-unannounced half hour reality project on order.

Comment by Dizzle – February 28, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ll definitely check it out :)

Comment by Elyse – February 28, 2013 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they even bothering to air it?

Comment by cas – February 28, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post