Exclusive: Nashville Casts a Person of Interest as Deacon's Enlightening New Love Interest

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Get out your pen, Rayna — you’re gonna want to write a song or two about this.

Nashville has cast Susan Misner as someone outside the music industry who catches Deacon’s eye, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATEDNashville Creator Callie Khouri and Charles Esten on a ‘Mind-Bending’ Birthday Bash — Plus Videos!

Misner’s character is a new vet in town who’ll show up later this season and stick around for several episodes — long enough to show a lovelorn Deacon what his fixation on Ms. Jaymes might be costing him.

“For the first time, he’s interested in somebody who is very unlike Rayna and very unlike Juliette,” says series creator Callie Khouri. “It’s the first time we see him with a person that you go, ‘Wow, so that’s what his life would be like if he wasn’t the guitar player to the stars.”

RELATED | Nashville‘s 12 Best Musical Numbers So Far

Misner’s recent TV credits include Person of InterestThe FollowingThe Americans, Blue Bloods and The Good Wife.

Comments (15)

• She was Jenny and Dan’s mom on Gossip Girl if I remember correctly. I’m not gonna lie, I really like him with Juliette.

Comment by dude – February 27, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • noooooooooooooo

Comment by *S (@chanel_and_punk) – February 27, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo ! I want Dayna !!!

Comment by Hilla Osovsky – February 27, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deacon & Rayna all day every day. Well, at least, hopefully before the end of the season when the show (hopefully DOESN’T) gets cancelled.

Comment by Shari – February 27, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Misner a lot. But I wonder if the news of her joining Nashville is hinting at a spoiler for her character on The Americans.

Comment by TM – February 27, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable and Network shows have different filming schedules…so is totally plausible for her to be on both shows…especially since Girls has series regulars from 2 different NBC comedies on their show as recurring/guest stars

Comment by Billy – February 27, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll always remember her a “Pop” from Chicago.

Comment by quang – February 27, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH! so they are going to drag out Rayna and Deacon getting together until it becomes still and boring.

Comment by Pati D – February 27, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here we go…. Another obstacle between Rayna and Deacon. I’m not gonna lie, that piss me off but I think it could be great to see Rayna jealous for a change. But I’m still #TeamDEYNA

Comment by lili – February 27, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I only noticed Susan Misner on Person of Interest last season, and then she popped up on The Following and The Americans. She’s everywhere right now, good for her!

Comment by Emily – February 27, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not the most flattering photo…

Comment by David S – February 27, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Susan Misner. I’m happy for lots of stories for Deacon, too, whatever his endgame romance is or isn’t. Misner is mad talented — she can dance like crazy (Chicago) and is a very good actress,as well (Good Wife, recently, and OLTL back in the day.)

Comment by Jules – February 27, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find this an odd time to introduce a new romance for Deacon. He and Rayna seemed to be moving closer.
    Of course, she is going to be mired in dealing with her Divorce and helping her Daughters cope with the loss of the family they loved.
    This would also be a very odd and unwise time, for her to be falling into a new relationship, even if it was a new “old” relationship.
    I do think it would have been nice to see Deacon being a supportive friend, for Rayna, in this time.
    However, maybe that’s asking too much. He’s not someone she just met, that’s falling in love with her, He’s her former long time lover, who, is still in love with her. So, watching her deal with a Divorce from the Man she married, over him, and just stand by and be a pal, that isn’t something that most people could handle, and if they did, it would probably involve some major denial!
    Maybe Deacon needs a new romance, to help him realize what he really still wants and needs. Let’s hope.

Comment by patty webb – February 28, 2013 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just had to look it up because I record The Americans and Nashville and suspected she was the same person-no clue she was the sister on The Following till I read this stream. Good for her! I agree, I wish Rayna and Deacon would get together, but you know it has to be a season finale cliff hanger or something like that; shoot, we waited long enough for Scarlett and Gunner to get together, and they aren’t the stars. I like Juliette but I don’t see her with Deacon. She’s too spontaneous for him and would seem overbearing in the long haul with Deacon-he’s too timid for her. Btw, what the heck is OLTL????

Comment by Esther – April 11, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post