Pilot Scoop: Michael Ealy Cast as Android Cop In Fox's Futuristic Cop Drama From J.J. Abrams

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

ealyFormer Common Law detective Michael Ealy is back on the beat as one of the stars of Fox’s futuristic drama pilot from J.J. Abrams and former Fringe showrunner J.H. Wyman, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to Pilot Season 2013: Get All the Scoop on This Year’s Possible Newcomers

The untitled project is being billed as an action-packed buddy cop show, set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

Ealy will play Dorian, the android partner of LAPD officer John Kennex. The twist? Dorian understands humanity more than John!

The role of John is still being cast. Got suggestions? Hit the comments!

Comments (30)

• Eh.

Comment by Mark – February 27, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought that said “LAPD officer John KLeEnnex” and got confused lol

Comment by Ashley – February 27, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not much of a twist… Seems pretty obvious actualy.

Comment by Ray – February 27, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure there are plenty of good suggestions, but I would love to see Justin Kirk get a good character role.

Comment by mawhi – February 27, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really on the nose casting here. Black man in slave role. Also wyman failed with fringes writing in final season .

Comment by cj – February 27, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? No. Anyways, love Michael Ealy…so I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by Noel – February 27, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or maybe they cast a good actor in an appropriate part… Sounds like the whole point is the android is the more human one and the human is broken. No slave mention anywhere – they’re partners.

Comment by Nick – February 27, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, im not surprised he was cast in this role, he was awesome in Common Law, and besides Joey Tribianni he would be good in the show

Comment by Lorena – February 27, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this will be cancelled before it has a chance to develop. Thanks Fox. You sure have killing TV shows down to a science.

Comment by Bowman – February 27, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox has an infinite amount of points in my book for what it did for Fringe, so I’d never make the claim you made. In any case, no network wants their shows to fail unless as a last resort. Since one actor has been cast so far, you can chillax yo.

Comment by bryceradick – February 27, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I will never “chillax yo”.

Fringe aside Fox has a long long long history of not giving shows (especially genre shows) a chance to get off the ground. Remember a little show called Firefly?…….yo? There is an episode of Family Guy where Peter names all of the shows that Fox had aired and cancelled between the time they cancelled Family Guy and then brought it back. So 1 out of like 50 shows isn’t Hall of Fame numbers if you get my drift…….yo?

As far as nets not wanting their shows to fail look no further than Community on NBC. Last year it beat American Idol in the demo….their reward…they are left off the fall line up and are now airing a Halloween ep in February. Since Sony, not NBC/Universal produces the show NBC wants to buy it for as little as possible. Thus they do everything to try and kill it…………………ya………you thought I was going to say “yo” again!…… didn’t you? ;-)

Comment by Bowman – February 28, 2013 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Warren Kole booked for pilot season yet?

Comment by wordsmith – February 27, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best casting possible! Love it! Go COMMON LAW.

Comment by AirRun – February 27, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You beat me too it! They were fantastic together, I miss Common Law!

Comment by Rain – March 1, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of Ealy. I hope the show does well.

Comment by James R. – February 27, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo! does this mean Common Law is no more???? NOOO! am i living in the land of Tru Calling and Charlie’s Angels??

Comment by Betsy – February 27, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything that brings Michael Ealy back to my tv is worth a try.

Comment by TaMara – February 27, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds a bit whack, but android + Michael Ealy = me watching. I just LOVE him and scifi is my genre.

Comment by mia – February 27, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. They really couldn’t do better than this? Won’t ever make it to air.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – February 27, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Wilson would be brilliant!

Comment by John Mcrorie – February 27, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t his show still on though?

Comment by mawhi – February 28, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ill watch this just for Michael Ealy!! love him.

Comment by Elyse – February 28, 2013 02:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Summer Glau as his partner? She could kick butt with the best of them in Firefly and Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Comment by filmcritic – February 28, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is awesome!

Comment by Els – February 28, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the fantasy world in which I live Warren Kole has already been cast in the LAPD Officer role. (I miss Common Law so much!)

Looking forward to this now.

Comment by Lucy – February 28, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Teddy Sears. Miss Common Law, though, and Michael and Warren had great chemistry!

Comment by AriesMatt – February 28, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should totally cast Warren Kole… I’m sure he could pull the “less human than the Android” role off perfectely… And I’d LOVE to see the two of them back in action… together… <3

And if they can't get Warren Kole (which would be a shame), cast Amaury Nolasco or Wentworth Miller… I haven't seen those guys in quite a while and want them back on my screen as well… XD

(What a shame Eric Dane already has a new show, though, I'd love for him to get this role as well XD)

Comment by Katrin – February 28, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post