Ratings: Castle Draws Monday's Largest Crowd, The Following Dips, Carrie Diaries Ticks Up

Ratings for The Carrie DiariesThe conclusion of Castle‘s two-parter drew the ABC drama’s largest audience (10.7 million viewers) since Oct. 29 and was Monday’s most watched program overall, all while matching last week’s season-high demo of 2.3.

Leading into that, The Bachelor (9.1 mil/2.9) slipped a tenth.

RELATED | Castle Recap: ‘Ready to Play Spy?’

Fox’s Bones ticked up to 8.7 mil and a 2.3 rating, while The Following (8.4 mil/2.7) held steady in audience but dipped two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | The Following Recap: Gone Baby Gone

Turning to CBS, How I Met Your Mother (8.6 mil/3.4) added a few viewers week-to-week, Rules of Engagement (7.8 mil/2.6) dropped 5 and 10 percent, 2 Broke Girls (10.2 mil/3.2) slipped 9 percent in the demo to tie a series low and Mike & Molly (9.8 mil/2.7) was down 5 and 16 percent.

On NBC, The Biggest Loser (5.7 mil/2.1) added a handful of viewers for the second straight week while flat in the demo. Deception held steady at  3.25 mil/1.2.

The CW’s The Carrie Diaries (1.1 mil/0.5) and 90210 (580K/0.3) each rose a precious tenth.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

In the new episode of Spoiler Alert!: Good news for Castle fans, Once Upon a Time scoop and more

1. jen says:

So proud of 8yr old Bones 2.3 baby!!!

2. civetta says:

Guys, last night’s Castle was simply amazing. Of course it has the highest rating! duh!

3. MF says:

So happy for Castle. Season 6 here we come!

4. Andrea says:

So happy for Castle, well deserved for such an awesome episode!

5. paul says:

What about Dallas you never give us ratings for it anymore

6. Brittany says:

Castle kicked some serious butt last night both on the show and in the ratings! Way to go Marlowe & Co.

7. siska says:

Hurray Castle, and where that news about season 6? Need hear that soon!!

8. Mike B says:

cable ratings don’t get published as soon as network ratings… at least that’s what i think; i just found the walking dead ratings today (11.01, 5.7 if anyone cares)

9. Elyse says:

i wish Castle was on netflix so i could see what all the hype is about!

• Steph says:

You could always order the discs? Of course instant Netflix is way easier and I wish it was on there also. I hope you get a chance to see it soon! It is my favorite show right now.

• Elyse says:

i might just have to order the first season on DVD. it seems weird that most ABC shows are on netflix but Castle isn’t! i have discovered so many new shows thanks to netflix.

• Meg says:

TNT has Castle in syndication. Two episodes a day. You could get through all 4 seasons fairly quickly.

• Elyse says:

i have done that with other shows on TNT but the other day when i noticed Castle was playing on TNT they were showing it all day long and i just don’t have enough DVR space for all of that. might have to wait for Summer to get caught up with Castle on TNT!

• Steph says:

The only downside to TNT is that some of the episodes are not shown in order.

• megshells says:

The main reason Castle isn’t available on Netflix? Copyright issues over the popular music that is used in many of it’s episodes. This is the reason that Alias didn’t become available on Netflix until JUST last year (and it first aired in 2001). Even now, Alias had to replace many of the songs it used with alternates because the copyright issues with the original songs could not be worked out in the end. Sadly, I don’t believe Castle will be available anytime soon. At this point, your best bet is iTunes or the discs, but it is SO worth the cost IMHO.

• V.Guidry says:

If you order the disc s on Netflix you can get thur the first 3 seasons in about 2 months I couldn’t wait so I ordered instant stream on Amazon.com and have no regrets, then on Christmas I received all 4 seasons the 2013 calendar and Frozon Heat. I can’t wait for them to release of the next novel. The only down side is that the show will be on hiatus before season 6 starts, yeah I said it, there will be season 6. But reading the novel and then starting from the beginning of season one thur season five will keep me busy. That is why I love this show, it never gets old, I will watch all 105 episodes and be ready for season six in Sept. 2013

• Jamie says:

Get te abc.com app or watch it on abc.com

10. Steph says:

Go Castle!!! Of course now we have a three week break, and we sadly seem to always return low. But this two parter was stunning! Well deserved ratings!

11. Nero theTVFiddler says:

That 90210 – what a show! 580,000 viewers, now that’s something to crow about. I did the numbers, reviewing the storylines and ratings for the past year. Every time Naomi sleeps with a new guy, the ratings go up another 1,000 viewers/state. If she can just keep up the pace of a new guy every three episodes, they’ll hit 600,000 viewers by May!

At that pace, Naomi will be collecting her social security when 90210 gets 5 million viewers each week and a incredible 4.5 ratings in the all important 65-95 demo.

I’m emailing the CW – forget about green-lighting the pilot ‘Blink’, a comedy about a 65 year old man in a coma – renew 90210 instead. I call it the ‘Naomi-5 million’ campaign drive.

12. Sarah says:

Yay Bones! :)

13. Krithika says:

Whoo Castle!! Not a single promo during the Oscars and yet look at the numbers!!! I can’t help but wonder what ratings it would got if ABC had bothered to promote it…

• taliesin says:

Season 4 of Castle averaged 12.18 million viewers. Heck, even season 1 averaged 10.19 million. We shouldn’t get that excited about 10.7 during a two-parter. :)

14. Lily L. says:

I can’t understand how Castle was overlooked at the Emmys or Golden Globes. Castle, IMO, is the best show ABC has and one of the best dramas on network TV. I haven’t watched part 2 yet because I fell asleep watching the very boring season of The Bachelor. Good Lord…do I really care who Sean picks, even though it was spoiled by Kimmel at the getgo? No. I think Arie or Roberto would have been better candidates. And now, we have to see the ladies on either Bachelor Pad…my guess is that Selma (is that her name) will be on and the gal who went home in the #5 position as well. Possibly Tierra although I read somewhere that she’s engaged (although that didn’t stop Gia from going on the show). And my prediction is that the next Bachelorette…is Desiree, nut job brother and all.

• Tamera says:

It seems like all of my favorite shows are overlooked by the Emmy’s. Castle and Bones have never won anything. Although Nathan Fillion did just win a People’s Choice award so hopefully ABC realizes the fans LOVE the show.

• Mark says:

Well it’s just like Fringe some of the acting on that show was brilliant yet totally ignored —- I mean they give awards to reality crap for nothing yet people like John Noble or Anna Torv play multiple characters in one season and its just old hat. Same on the shows mentioned above the Emmy’s and Golden Globes wouldn’t know good acting if it was shown to them… As the same shows always seem to win.

15. I think TCD will be renew,along with Hart of Dixie and be paired together on a night maybe monday or tuesday, I think Wed. would be better for a girl night but Arrow and maybe SPN will stay there snice thier hits on that night. BATB will cancel only for the fact that it has an amazing lead in but yet loses more then half of that while TCD & Hart are self staters shows with no lead in.

16. another thing I think Castle would be great with Body of Proof, I think see castle helping BOP ratings but that line up would never happen. I cant wait to see how ABC schedule will be in the fall.

17. Ed says:

Stick a fork in 90210 it is DONE. I am so over this show, I watch it now only out of habit and when there is absolutely NOTHING else on my DVR

18. LM says:

Could you imagine what the ratings for Castle would be if ABC actually promoted or acknowledged it? The show has great ratings with no or minimal promos.

• skrable2 says:

It will be interesting to see what happens on March 18. That’s when Castle is set to return, on the premiere night of the latest round of DWTS.

• taliesin says:

It’s not promotion that Castle lacks. It’s a strong lead-in. DWTS and The Bachelor are both down this season, and their weak numbers reflect on Castle. H5O has stronger lead-ins. Plus it doesn’t help that Castle’s episodes have been, on average, more angled toward humor this season.

19. mia says:

yay for Castle! Last night’s episode was absolutely fantastic! And yay for Carrie Diaries – its been so solid all season (content wise) I hope it gets renewed (and Beauty and the Beast)

20. Babybop says:

2 Broke Girls has been hilarious this season! Every episode has me cracking up. I hope the ratings get better.

21. Ella says:

Castle and Bones are still going strong! Castle especially was firing on all cylinders last night!

22. Tran says:

ABC should renew Castle for a sixth season.

• taliesin says:

As I posted yesterday, Castle is the #2 show for its time slot, and often has more total viewers then H5O; and all of that from weak lead-ins. Castle’s adr ate has it at around $4.2 million per new episode: roughly $100 million per year. Couple that with the syndication revenue, rerun revenue during the off season, and the novel and comic revenues and Castle will be back. You don’t need to win your time slot to be renewed. :)
      The only way Castle wouldn’t be back is if the primary stars contracts are up and they start making huge salary demands: like Mark Harmon huge. Other then that you can expect Castle to be back for Season 6.

23. Rivera says:

90210… ah! I want the show to be put out of the misery but i cant say that! I am addicted to this crazy bunch of people for 5 years now! Only if Annalyne McCord gets a smashing pilot, then i would be in peace with the show ending.

• Ella says:

WORD. Annalynne is the only good thing about that show and she should move on to brighter pastures. I swear, if the writers threw back to the good days and got back together some of the show’s core couples, Liam + Naomi, Navid + Adrianna, Teddy + Silver, the ratings would be much, much better. Dixon and Annie can go back to Kansas.

24. Mari says:

YAY I’m so happy for Castle

25. lame says:

It’s know that AWM’s two parters are always special stories and last night was the best yet. No surprise the numbers were large, just wish the consequences of this storyline aren’t tossed aside as if they never happen. let us see the impact on the lives of the people we all follow.

26. Mark says:

The last two episodes of Castle where huge because it went back to the shows roots family.
    It felt more like the Castle of season 1 & 2 than what we have had to endure lately, the writing was better and there wasn’t all the Beckett drama and the stabilizing element of his daughter was back. Something the show has missed The writers have virtually written Molly Quinn out of the series this year and the ratings and story has shown this to be a bad move. I just hope the story now develops with all the characters back in the fold like in earlier seasons and the show doesn’t go back to the likes of some of the episodes of this season……

• scooby says:

Oh please, you think the secret ingredient to the Castle show and ratings you want is Molly? She’s amazing but she’s also of college age and it’d be unbelievable to have her acting like she did at 14. She’s gotta go away to school. Forced attempts to keep college aged kids around have led to some screwy stuff in tv history, including a recent example in Glee. They keep coming back to a high school in Lima. Alexis can’t get put in danger every week. She’s not gonna come home all the time when she’s got classes and a boyfriend and lives in NYC with lots of things to do. As for the digging at the way the show’s been written lately, it’s so bizarre how you put it. The Beckett drama? Uh that’s part of what Castle’s world revolves around since he started shadowing her which, oh right, started in season 1, as did the uncovering of the darkness in Beckett’s past with the loss of her mom. We saw some of it in S3 and I didn’t hear nearly as much griping from people then. What we’re getting now is a natural development of the characters and they’re doing good storytelling even if not everybody appreciates it.

27. Cyn says:

I’m a fan of Kevin Bacon, but I don’t know how long I can keep watching The Following. It’s starting to work my nerves! I don’t know how many time I’ve yelled, “come on already”!

It doesn’t seem like Kevin Bacon and his crew can catch a break on this show. Either Kevin’s character is getting knocked on the back of his head or he’s getting tasered. Then some surprise Follower jumps out of the bushes and kills someone. It’s time for some progression.

28. dee123 says:

I really hope the CW cans 90210 & keeps The Carrie Diaries.

29. Pepper Weeks says:

Carrie diaries is so darn cute they need to keep it

30. Brittany says:

I’m obsessed with The Carrie Diaries!

31. Taye says:

Castle was Ah-mazing last night!!! It’s always been amazing but I didn’t expect the episode to turn out like that. Awesome!

32. Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this web page daily, this web page is actually nice and the viewers are actually sharing nice thoughts.|

33. Anonymous says:

If some one desires expert view concerning blogging and site-building after that i advise him/her to go to see this webpage, Keep up the good job.|

34. switches says:

I like to disseminate understanding that I have built up with the year to assist improve
    group performance.