CBS' Golden Boy: Did You Take a Shine to Him?

Golden BoyCBS’ Golden Boy reported for duty on Tuesday night — but did you find this slight wrinkle on the cop show procedural arresting enough to keep tuning in?

Executive-produced by Greg Berlanti (Jack & Bobby) and Nicholas Wootton (NYPD Blue), Golden Boy stars Theo James (Downton Abbey) as Walter William Clark, Jr., the youngest police commissioner in New York City history. Framed by scenes set seven years into the future, Clark reflects — here to a reporter, another time to his driver, etc. — on his rapid rise from beat cop, starting with his tricky-to-navigate first days as a homicide detective.

In his new gig, Clark assumes he’s partnered with resident hot shot Detective Arroyo (played by Southland‘s Kevin Alejandro), but instead he’s paired with pokey veteran Detective Owen (Pushing Daisies‘ Chi McBride) — whom he disrespects enough at first to make you feel bad for the big teddy bear. Clark’s skills serve him well, nudging him off ice-cold case onto hot collars, even when it doesn’t cast him in the best light — or generates enough interdepartmental ill will to have Arroyo frame him for a press leak.

Arroyo, by the way, has some “history” with Owen, which is explored a bit further in future episodes — will Clark be the one who energizes his retirement-minded partner enough to stand tall again?

The ensemble also features Bonnie Somerville (NYPD Blue) as Detective Deborah McKenzie, no pushover herself when it comes to the “new kid”; Holt McCallany (Lights Out) as well-connected Detective Joe Diaco; and Stella Maeve as Clark’s troubled sister Maeve. Odette Annable (House) shows up shortly as a DA who (of course) draws Clark’s eye — for better or for worse.

Did Golden Boy cop a cursory look from you? If so, will you return for seconds? (The show has one more Tuesdays-at-10 tryout before moving to its regular time slot of Fridays at 9.)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Polls, Premieres

1. J says:

I missed it. I wish they would’ve promoted it more.

• emaegf says:

It will be rebroadcast Saturday night so you’ll have another chance to catch it or record it.

• KevyB says:

Okay, that seriously has to be a joke because I am flat sick of seeing commercials for this thing. I originally wanted to watch it but the more I saw commercials, the more douchey the main character seemed.

• My experience exactly. I was predicting an early demise for this show just because after the deluge of promos I still didn’t get what it was about except just another cop show. And after the first few minutes I still didn’t. Not to mention, abs or no abs, I don’t find the star attractive in the least, nor his attitude.

• kirads09 says:

Agree – way over promoted. BTW – A&E is doing the same thing with Bates Hotel IMO.

• Jaselle says:

Berlanti belongs on the CW. I didn’t even watch but after reading review and comments I won’t

2. Eric says:

I missed it. The only thing this show has going for it in my mind is Chi McBride. Otherwise, it looks like a basic procedural. I’m very interested to see what the ratings were like.

3. Mike says:

Best procedural I watched in a long time, excluding POI, I love chi mcbrides character and Clark seems like a douche and I kind of think that is the point. I like the flash forward portions and the more character driven plot.

4. snowballx350 says:

I haven’t fully seen it but from what I saw a few days ago on the cbs show it was pretty interesting. Can we really rate a show though based on the pilot?…I hope ratings will be good but it didn’t seem like a lot of promotion.

5. theschnauzers says:

I liked the pilot, but I also want to see what is refined once they started producing episodes for the series.
    Theo and Chi are fine; the pilot plot was slightly contrived, that’s always the case in a pilot, but the producers did set up the character driven conflicts, I’ll be keeping my DVR season pass although Friday nights are getting packed up already.

6. BonnieW says:

Mr. Pamook!!!!!

7. TV Gord says:

I enjoyed it. At first, I was a little apprehensive that Clark would be dumped on by everyone for most of the first season, but I was pleased to see some signs of softening toward him already. I’ll watch anything with Chi McBride, but this one, I would probably have watched even if he passed on it!

8. Michelle says:

I enjoyed it. I agree that Clark comes off as a jerk, but I think that’s the point and that in the end his attitude will change. I liked the flash forwards a lot, as they hinted at the things to come that I hope we get to see. For those who missed it, it airs again Saturday and is already online at CBS.com.

9. robinepowell says:

I missed it too. I’ll check again on Saturday, since you guys say it will be on, see if it’s any good. Maybe PVR it, if I remember. ;)

10. n says:

Friday time slot is a death sentence.

11. Leo says:

You’re kidding. Blue Bloods is a show with NO actual storyline (this comes from a fan lol) and see how they’re doing with viewers every Friday? 10 mil steady. Maybe they are putting it on the 9 pm slot so people who regularly watch Blue Bloods will at least tune in early to watch it.
    But it’s a bit ironic to have two shows about “police commisioner” airing back to back.
    I love Theo. I love Chi. Love their acting chops. Will definitely watch this!

12. TJ says:

Both hubs & I loved this pilot, it wasn’t your typical police show. And seems to be well cast. Will be tuning in again!

13. marg g says:

I did not watch it. Doubt I will. Upset it took the Vegas slot–even if temporary. If it had aired in the CSI:NY slot I may have given it a try. CBS stinks with too many breaks between episodes. I’m glad other networks have programs I like to watch.

• mike says:

agreed…cbs is the one killing vegas, not the viewers…2 weeks from yesterday vegas returns to tuesday night…as a rerun…how do they expect to get viewers when it keeps disappearing?
      abc did the same thing with life on mars, nbc is doing the same thing with revolution and lets not even discuss what the network did with alcatraz…viewers are not about to wait forever for the networks to decide if they are gonna cancel or not, but one sure way for them to have to cancel a program is to not televize it…and thats what they are doing with vegas..sad as its a good show with a good cast.

14. Julie says:

I missed it but will check it out only for Chi. Pair this with Lee Pace being on a new show too and it makes me want to watch Pushing Daisies again :)

15. admiral says:

Interested. Chi rocks! James perfect for Clark role. Watching
    for the relationship development. Hope it keeps those little dark edges. SVU pulled good Friday ratings. Blue Bloods is a
    top twenty regular. We will see how it goes.

16. mia says:

I forgot to record it, so oh well.

17. Daisy says:

Friday is where shows go to die. Especially mid-season. And Grimm is coming back? My DVR can only take so much.

18. Pepper Weeks says:

I didn’t know this was going to be a Friday show. I’ll still tune in, I thought it was really good.
    The Rookie and the Vet vibe did well because of their chemistry. I really like the flashbacks/forwards I’m intrigued to see the murder suicide/station shoot out that the journalist let drop during the DA interview in the future.
    Watch this show I can tell it’s going to get good people! and buttermop, I would LOVE to see what you find attractive if you thing Theo James is not FINE AS ALL HELL

• MaryAnn says:

The character is an arrogant jerk. And the actor is too perfect looking. I haven’t seen other things he has done, though, so perhaps part of it is actually that he is a good actor. Time will tell.

• Amy says:

Right! How could anyone NOT find Theo gorgeous?

19. David Francis Feancis says:

I enjoyed the pilot. Chi is always great. I look forward to season one.

20. FireFox says:

For all the hype over the last three weeks, I was very disappointed!

21. MaryAnn says:

Actually, I think the producers made a poor choice of title for this show. When I first heard it and the logline when it was still a pilot last year, I could not believe it would ever be in serious contention. If it turns out to be a good show, but fails anyway, I think TPTB should look closely at their promotions for the show and its title. How many people besides me were so turned off by the title that it will take a lot to get past that?

22. Brian Poppy says:

The protagonist is not likable, the story was contrived and not very well written; there was no comic relief, and had a low entertainment quotient . Don’t figure it good enough for another watch. I rate Vegas as a lot better.

23. I’ll watch a couple more episodes simply because I like Chi McBride and the other supporting actors.
    The main character, however, was so unlikeable that I’ll be surprised if I watch more than a couple of episodes simply because I really dislike the main character.

24. jaimie says:

I lasted 10 minutes, and then I was so bored I had to stop watching. This show is awful.

25. bill norris says:

i think future episodes will get nothing but better

26. KathyMaxwell says:

No did not like it to many shows already like it. I liked Vegas much better. Showed what Vegas was like in the fifty’s. But really liked the cast a whole lot better. You guys always get rid of the good shows.

27. So glad someone else noticed. Yes, Theo James is Mr. Pamuk from Downton Abbey.

28. Amy says:

While I admit that I watched it because Theo James is just so unbelievably gorgeous, I really liked it. I have my DVR set!!

29. Laura says:

We think the show could be a winner BUT there’s too much music etc. interfering with the dialogue

30. Butch Fralia says:

I watched it because I like Chi McBride. I’ll give it a little while for the characters and writers to gel. It has potential.

31. missy says:

I really like it so far Theo, Chi and Kevin are all amazing actors and I am interested in seeing where it goes. Yes theo’s character is cocky but you see with the flash forward where its going..plus with a scene with his sister you see he does have a big heart and probably has a lot on his shoulders. It will be normally on friday nights so it will not hurt vegas which will be back.

32. emb says:

The characters were all interesting and good. The show was a show not what is being passed on as a show. Some of the stuff on TV now is not even watchable.. BRING BACK SOME OF THE GOOD SHOWS LIKE GOLDEN BOY!!!