Exclusive: American Horror Story Season 3 Pits Jessica Lange Against… Kathy Bates!

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

American Horror Story Season 3 Kathy BatesAmerican Horror Story is ratcheting up the Misery in Season 3.

Oscar winner Kathy Bates is nearing a deal to join FX’s hit spookfest as a nemesis to Jessica Lange, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Bates will play the best friend of Lange’s new character, who turns into her enemy.

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 3 Scoop: Evan Peters Will ‘Probably Be Playing a [Spoiler]‘

Details on Horror Story‘s third season remain scarce, but series cocreator Ryan Murphy previously confirmed that Lange will play a “glamour cat leading lady,” in stark contrast to her gloomy Asylum wardrobe. Ryan also teased that the new season will be “more historical in nature” and take place in modern day. But just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.”

Horror Story vets reuniting with Lange in Season 3 include Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga and Bates’ former Six Feet Under co-star Frances Conroy.

Bates is coming off a two-season run on NBC’s Harry’s Law.

Thoughts? Does the idea of a Lange-Bates showdown make your spine tingle? Got any new theories about the setting and premise of Season 3? Hit the comments!

Comments (89)

• I’m excited! two great actresses!

Comment by kate – February 26, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUGE get for AHS! Kathy Bates is incredible and would make an awesome addition to this show. Lange-Bates back and forths would just be so great to watch!

Comment by Sam – February 26, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Zachery Quinto?

Comment by Tracey – February 26, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He already said he hasn’t been reached out to and doesn’t expect to be. He doesn’t need to be in every season.

Comment by dude – February 26, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! I would be disappointed if Quinto wasn’t in this one too. Talk about range; ZQ has it in spades!

Comment by Cheo – February 26, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah, Zach said he wouldn’t rule it out if asked, but he has not been asked at this time

Comment by Shein Die – February 26, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it’s a big mistake not to ask him to come back, he has definitely been a favorite of mine to watch these past two seasons.

Comment by Faster – February 27, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree… he’s one of the reasons I tuned in. I just think he’s brilliant. I really hope they bring him back.

Comment by Jessica – March 1, 2013 07:53 AM PDT
  • Great casting! :)

Comment by Mark – February 26, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD!!! YASSSS!!!

Comment by snowballx350 – February 26, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremely smart move! Love how we are seeing some powerful actresses pair up on TV. Reminds me of Maggie Smith and Shirley Maclaine on Downton Abbey – only very horrifying.

Comment by Suzanne McGee – February 26, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know Taissa was officially confirmed to come back! This is looking up to be a great season! Can’t wait.

Comment by Spencer – February 26, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I do not understand how Ryan manages to snag all these fantastic actresses for such a horrible show. But even with terrible writing, I’ve seen some episodes and Jessica kills it. I’m sure Kathy can make it work too (as opposed to the awful Harry’s Law, not even Bates saved that one).

Comment by m – February 26, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show isn’t horrible Stay pressed!

Comment by snowballx350 – February 26, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lmao, I’m not pressed… Being pressed means that I hate something so much that it actually affects me. I think the show is absolutely awful but I do not care. I’ve seen a few episodes bc I love Jessica and Sarah Paulson. But cute response from a stan. Stay delusional. Xo.

Comment by m – February 26, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The show is laughably bad, especially season two. Too much. Lange, Farmiga and Conroy will keep me watching.

Comment by L – February 26, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Pffff, like your opinion is the only one that matters. I love AHS and IMO it’s one of the best shows on tv right now.

Comment by Wouter – February 26, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Season 1 was terrible, but s2 was quite good. The writers seemed to think more about what they were doing and delivered solid scripts, and the cast and directors were 100%. I’m cautiously optmistic about s3.

Comment by Jon – February 26, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You have it backwards. Season 1 was quite good; season 2 was a terrible disjointed mess.

Comment by Whimsical – February 27, 2013 06:17 AM PDT
        • Zzzzzzzz. The show isn’t perfect but at least it’s different. Go back to watching 90210 or whatever you watch.

Comment by dee123 – February 26, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m guessing he/she is a fan of Glee and reality shows.

Comment by KS – February 27, 2013 05:35 AM PDT
          • It amuses me that you badmouth Glee, which is created and written by the same guys as AHS. But it does explain the god awful writing.

Comment by BurntWater – February 27, 2013 09:45 AM PDT
          • Not to mention the reality show, The Glee Project which Ryan Murphy also created AND stars in.

Comment by BurntWater – February 27, 2013 09:52 AM PDT
        • I think you’re horrible and ignorant. You really have nothing better to do then bitch about a show you dont like to people who do? Get a life. The show is awesome!!

Comment by Freckles – February 28, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Harry’s Law! I bet she will do great in whatever role they have planned for her. Awesome!

Comment by majamababe – February 26, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this could be the best season yet, two of the best actresses ever, together! As Charlie would say, EPIC!!!

Comment by Wendy Lancaster – February 26, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who’s crazier? Ryan Murphy or Katy Bates in Misery? Bahahahahah

Comment by Mark – February 26, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just gets better and better…what a duo!!!!!!
    Can’t wait….b – )

Comment by phoofy cat – February 26, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kathy Bates! I was very disappointed when “Harry’s Law” was canceled. Can’t wait for new season of “American Horror Story”.

Comment by Kris Neumann – February 26, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Going to be epic!!!

Comment by susie – February 26, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s more like S1 than S2. Looking forward to it.

Comment by Cheo – February 26, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They played off each other really well in Men Don’t Leave. This is going to be a killer season.

Comment by Jeremy – February 26, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow that is such awesome news!! So excited for the new season, especially Taissa coming back!

Comment by Lauren – February 26, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD. Awesome (first new) casting. Has it been revealed weather this she’s a regular or recurring cast star (like Chloe Sevigny last season)?

Comment by Sam – February 26, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YES!!!

Comment by Jay – February 26, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kathy Bates… Wonderful choice. Very disappointed Harry’s Law was cancelled. Fan of both actresses.

Comment by mrspansas – February 26, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kathy Bates! She and Jessuca will rock! I do however hope Quinto returns. It won’t be AHS without him!!!!

Comment by Cat – February 26, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annie Wilkes comes to AHS. PERFECT.

Comment by Kirstin E. Jewell – February 26, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still holding out for the return of Alexandra Breckenridge…

Comment by Robert Maddrey – February 26, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Throw Jack Nicholson and James Caan in for the tripleta. :]

Comment by tahina – February 26, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great match up, love both and AHS. Heard they will be shooting in New Orleans!!! Hope so, saw Lange at an art openning here of her photography. Come on AHS, we welcome you to the Crescent City.

Comment by Roland Montealegre – February 26, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking witches and Salem, MA with all the females they are already signed on

Comment by Justin Dingman – February 26, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, S3 is going to be SO awesome :)

Comment by sara – February 26, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Jessica Lange is on AHS, I will watch every episode…I honestly feel that she steals the show. She is just such a fantastic actress, and IMO, the show just gets better & better! : )

Comment by Nikki Trivette – February 26, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the acting master class will begin in October.

Comment by aleksa – February 26, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whatever happened to sarah michelle gellar? ryan murphy went crazy after her on that watch what happens show. would love to see her guest star on ahs at some point.

Comment by F. Marx – February 26, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t be surprised with this casting news if the storyline somehow will follow this friendship/rivalry between Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange throughout the ages.
    Witches who move from Salem to New Orleans and then to modern times somewhere else, and have some sort of male in their way.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Bates is the good, yet creepy person this season, and Lange is playing the “evil glamour lady” as quoted by Ryan.
    It’ll be about their coven,and Paulson, Rabe, and Farmiga will be apart of it too.

Still kind of hoping for some major African American actor/actress to be on this season if the New Orleans rumors are true.

Comment by Michael – February 26, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have the same theory. And Evan will be Taissa´s muggle boyfriend who her witch coven family (Paulson etc) will not allow her to be with, or something like that.

Comment by Emily – February 26, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this makes me feel slightly better about Harry’s law cancellation.

Comment by Jake – February 26, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Lange can do it all! She rocked it out with The Name Game episode in Asylum!

Comment by Colleen – February 26, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh yes I LOVED The Name Game! My favorite episode!

Comment by Nikki Trivette – February 26, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find them both terrifying so this should be excellent.

Comment by lydiakj – February 26, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These two could be the scariest combo since Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. Bring it on!

Comment by Cheyenne – February 26, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can tell Ryan Murphy is a big Six Feet Under fan. First Frances Conroy, then James Cromwell, and now Kathy Bates, I wonder who will pop up on the show next? My vote is for Michael C. Hall, but since he’s tied up on Dexter, I’ll settle for Lauren Ambrose.

Comment by Anna – February 26, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love all of them!

Comment by Car – February 27, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In a past interview about season 3 a “great, true-life character that’s the most horrible woman ever created” was mentioned. When I think of that coupled with New Orleans I think of the Lalaurie house. Evil stuff that woman did. Wonder if that could play into things at all?

Comment by responding2internalstimuli – February 26, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read about this theory as well. That would be a great location/storyline to pursue.

Comment by Faster – February 27, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm obviously the best part of this show is s1e1 with Dylan McDermott !!!

Comment by XML – February 26, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. This.

Hellllllllo Mr. McDermott!!!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – February 27, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Is it Dylan McDermott or Dermot Mulroney?” – SNL

Comment by Car – February 27, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The whole milk fetish in S2 ruined him for me.

Comment by Faster – February 27, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know he’s just acting right? lol

Comment by Janet – March 1, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, I thought this was real life.

Comment by Faster – March 1, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best.News.Ever!

Comment by Jade – February 26, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! Like Bates.Very strong actresses paired here.Hope they get along!

Comment by Tina – February 26, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow!!! What a great addition for the show. This is huge news. I could not be more excited for season 3.

Comment by kelly – February 26, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant wait i love jessica and now kathy its going to be one great season! Kathy is sure to bring this amazing show that extra cherry on top!!!

Comment by yvonne – February 27, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt this past season can be topped….the story line was top knotch. Writing was great, as was the acting!

Comment by Sandy – February 27, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I thought about season one Sandy, and then season two came along and just blew that theory right out of the water. (Made season one seem MILD!) However, I do have to agree with you in a sense-season two may always be my favorite. There was just something about it that kept me totally glued to the set every wednesday night. In fact, Asylum made it my favorite show EVER. (I was glad to hear that Ryan Murphy is done with the aliens though!)

Comment by Nikki Trivette – February 27, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard season 3 happens in Salem, Mass

Comment by Rai – February 27, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the hate for season 2. I thought it was great except for the alien thing. That seemed to come out of nowhere and had little to do with the actual plot of the season.

Comment by Mikael – February 27, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And no resoution

Comment by Faster – February 27, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 is gonna be about witchcraft. I hope there are flashbacks to Salem :-)

Comment by Wood – February 27, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! I LOVE HER!!!! shame they haven’t asked Alexandra Breckenridge

Comment by moiraFAN – February 27, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed both seasons in different ways. They were very different and that is the genius! I love the consistency of brilliant talent and believe the all of the characters portrayed. I would be ecstatic if they used identical cast each year. RYan is an incredible writer/producer I will continue to savor his work!

Comment by mgblan10 – February 27, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on HORROR BOOM and commented:
    Jessica Lange was dropping hints earlier about a female Oscar-winning actress joining their cast, which only narrowed it down to about fifty women, so I forgot about it. Now we know!

Comment by Mrs. Horror Boom (HorrorBoom.com) – February 27, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kathy Bates has proven how scary, intense and creative she can be in Misery. I’m really hoping she will be in the next season to take this show to the next level of horror! I love the anticipation of the showdown between Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates!!!

Comment by Janet – March 1, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post