The Following Recap: Gone Baby Gone

The Following recapIf ever you doubted, this week’s episode of The Following made one thing abundantly clear: Don’t mess with Emma.

She’ll scream at you. She’ll withhold information from you. And she’ll leave you to be strafed with gunfire without once looking back. With that pixie cut and aggressive ambition, she’s like a likable Anne Hathaway. (Too soon, you say? “It came truuuuue,” I say. There. We’re even.) That girl’s gonna go far — that is, if she doesn’t meet an inauspicious end in a bloody standoff with federal agents somewhere along the way. (I’m obvi talking about Emma – those dress darts weren’t that bad.) Let’s review the major developments of “The Fall.”

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

DISSENTION IN THE RANKS | We pick up where last episode left off: with Paul’s gun poking into Ryan’s medulla oblongata and Joey supremely freaked out. The kid hides in his room as Paul disarms the former FBI agent, then Emma and Jacob enter and (of course) immediately know who Ryan is. Mr. Hardy makes sure they understand that just about every law enforcement agency in North America is about to bear down upon them. “This is the end,” he says, very confident.

He makes some headway in freaking out Jacob and Paul, but Emma is a tougher nutjob to crack. After giving Joey some “special milk” that knocks him out for the duration, she marches right up to her new prisoner and tases him in the chest, messing with his pacemaker. As he flops and heaves like a carp on dry land, she waves the weapon in his face. “By the way, Joe’s idea,” she says. She’s totally insane, but I appreciate how this chick regulates.

THE CAVALRY ARRIVES (AND THEN SITS THERE) | The FBI (including Debra) and the press set up in front of the farm house as Emma emails Roderick and quietly starts to fall apart. It’s a great turnaround from her bravado of a few moments before. Jacob calms her a bit, kissing her and telling her it’ll all be OK. I have to say, I’m digging the freaky way the young trio’s group dynamic shifts depending on what’s happening. Given what happens later in the episode, I hope the love triangle (and unlike most on television, this is a true love triangle) continues. But more on that in a while. Emma puts her badass pants back on and goes downstairs where she threatens Ryan, to no avail. But when she pulls Meghan up from the basement and threatens her safety, it takes a lot of swagger out of Ryan’s step. At Emma behest, he calls the FBI and they talk to Debra. Debra tries to draw Emma out a little, noting that all of the women in the murals at the followers’ hangoug look like Emma’s mom. But Em wants none of that and, before hanging up, tells the FBI to draw down or bad things are going to happen.

Weston wonders why Debra was so friendly and understanding with the psycho shortie; his boss responds that murdering her mom likely traumatized Emma so much that she’s still reeling, and reminding her of her humanity might make her pause before deciding to end another life. “Parental influence defines us,” Debra says, leading us into a set of flashbacks that explain exactly why she’s such an expert on cults: She grew up in one. In 1989, her parents forced her to sleep with the leader of a community called Serenity Hills; soon after, she ran away and only returned 15 years later in order to forgive her folks, who are still members of the cult. (Side note for all you Watchers out there: Her mom is Joyce Summers, looking decidedly better than the last time we saw her.) (Second side note: Buffy  fans, please don’t fill the comments telling me that the actual last time we saw Joyce was in the show’s final season, when she was markedly less corpse-y. You know what I mean.) Interesting point: Debra still carries the cult’s amulet in her purse. Reminder of her beginnings or proof that she’s still partially sympathetic to those who blindly follow? Discuss.

INFILTRATED AGAIN | Ryan, recovered from his jolt, pokes at the Triad of Good Genetics but Bad Decisions and surmises that Jacob loves Emma but Paul loves Jacob. When he goes a bit too far, there’s a kerfuffle, and Ryan manages to grab a knife they’ve carelessly left lying by his seat. Emma gets a call from Roderick and is all, “Oh everything’s totally OK now! No worries! I’m going to go upstairs and check on Joey nobodyfollowme’kaybyeeee?” Ryan frees himself and Meghan, sending her out the front door while Jacob and Paul are in the other room. When they come in, Ryan stabs Paul in the gut and decks Jacob, leaving them to realize that the SWAT team is slowly encroaching and Emma has taken off with the boy. “We’re in trouble,” Jacob says, his talent for stating the obvious at an all-time high even as the gunmen’s laser sights form a big red constellation on his chest.

Meanwhile, Weston and the female local cop from the previous episode are skirting the property to try to cut off Emma and Joey. And they do! But when Mike pulls a gun on Emma, the officer shoots him. Aw man! “I’m with Roderick,” she tells Emma. “Let’s go.” Back at the house, the SWAT officers riddle the living room with bullets and bust in to find Jacob and Paul tripping over themselves to surrender. But then two of the SWAT members – who, we now realize, are actually Joe’s followers who killed two other SWAT members and stole their gear – kill the other two SWAT members and help the guys get free. Ryan finds Mike laid out but still alive, thanks to his bulletproof vest, and almost gets to Emma before she and Joey take off in a vehicle the female officer procured for them. He kills the follower cop but Emma and Joey speed away, and a few moments later, the realization of just how enormous this whole thing is – and how he has let Claire down — nearly reduces him to tears.

Elsewhere, Jacob beats up the poor motorist who pulls over to help him, then loads a weak Paul into the passenger seat and takes off. They call Emma, who doesn’t speak but is clearly affected by hearing Jacob’s voice… before she hangs up. Jacob promises Paul – who, for the record, is still bleeding copiously from the stomachular area – that he’s going to get them help.

CLAIRE, MEET CHARLIE | Remember how Claire, despite everything she knows about her twisted ex and the lengths his followers will go to at his bidding, slipped her FBI protection and got into a strange van with a strange man at the end of the last episode? Yeah, about that… uncool, Claire! She winds up locked into a random basement full of guns and computers with Charlie, a Joe follower whose military career was cut short by a psychiatric discharge. (Translation: He likes to kill too much.) He’s been watching Claire for two years, taking copious notes on her whereabouts and even breaking into her house to videotape her sleeping – though Emma didn’t know about him or what he was up to. He’s also kinda in love with her, a fact of which Joe is aware. When Charlie makes it clear that she’s not going to see Joey and she’s not going back to her house, she tries to escape. That doesn’t work. He kisses her. That doesn’t work, either – and his shame is so great, he repeatedly bashes his head into a wall. It’s like Chris Farley’s “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” but bloodier. Thanks to an intercepted email, the FBI finds Claire and gets her to safety, but Charlie tosses what I’m told is called a “flashbang” – a grenade used to draw attention away from a hasty exit — and scurries away.

Meanwhile, Joe’s lawyer Olivia procedes with what he calls “the next part of the story” – she files paperwork claiming infringement of his Eighth Amendment (aka “cruel and unusual punishment”) rights. Back at the house, Claire runs out to see Ryan return… without her kid. She beats at him with her fists and cries, and you can tell he kinda wants to do the same thing as he pulls her near.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? On the creepy spectrum of Joe’s followers, where would you put Charlie? And exactly how much of a beating can Ryan’s pacemaker take? Sound off in the comments!

1. Lisa says:

hahaha my first thought after the first buffy side note was “oh but we see joyce in “conversations with dead people”.. that’s hilarious that you predicted people would think that. shows how obsessive the fans can be

2. Stef says:

This show is infuriating…but I can’t stop watching!! Ahhh!

3. Matt says:

I wonder if Mike is Roderick. I hope not, but it seems somewhat plausible.

• Pat D. says:

Nope, Ryan is Roderick!

—your mind has just been blown—

• Ashley says:

i’m kinda 50/50 on mike being ‘roderick’ he is good with computers and knows alot about ryan and this case w/ joe c. it’s possible but i don’t think so. Joe has sooooooooo many damn followers they’re everywhere and now u can’t trust who’s who a cop or follower.

• Juan Ignacio Aguilar says:

Roderick is played by actor Warren Kole, the guy from “Common Law”

• Brendan says:

Why would the female cop shoot Mike in front of Emma and then say “I’m with Roderick” if Mike was actually Roderick. >_< One of the two would have recognized him… not a well thought out theory.

4. AT says:

I think I’m going to stop watching this show. The characters and situations are becoming more and more unbelievable and absurd. Claire really got in a car with one of his followers? That goes beyond ridiculous and just makes her a really stupid character. Plus, there’s only so many times I can stand where the FBI is about to make some headway and then even more people undo it all because they’re believers. How many people can possibly buy into this Poe murderous cult? And many of them in positions of power. I guarantee that one of the main characters is another plant. Maybe even two. It won’t matter if all the evidence says otherwise, there will be reveals. But yeah, after this horrible episode I think I’m done. The she was interesting at first, but now it’s just getting on my nerves.

• AT says:

the “show”

• Though I am inclined to agree about what an idiot move it was for Claire to get into that car, she is a mother who hasn’t seen her son and has no idea what is going on with him, as to whether or not he’s being abused physically, emotionally or even sexually. IF I were a parent and my child was kidnapped, I’d have done what Claire done to see my child again.

• Lyndsey says:

She KNOWS he’s being “abused” because they sent the video showing the trio attempting to turn him into a killer like the rest of them. Yes it was a supremely stupid decision but if your child was kidnapped by a bunch of homicidal psychopaths you’d do whatever stupid thing they asked to attempt to save him. Besides, I don’t think Joe actually wants her dead and I would imagine she realizes that.

• Pat D. says:

But…um…didnt she say “Joe tried to kill me” during this episode? Sounds to me like she isnt too sure that Carroll doesnt want he dead. =)

• Lyndsey says:

I must have missed that line but I would imagine she thought the risk was worth it if she could get her son back.

• dee123 says:

I basically think of this as the Scream films on tv.

• Pat D. says:

Agree 100% on the ‘Claire getting into the car’ observation. Plus, next week’s episode has Carroll successfully suing for change of prison (LOL) then (of course) having his transport being hijacked and apparently setting him free. At least thats what it looked like in the teasers.

Its still an enjoyable romp so far, but a couple more of these unbelievable tv/movie cliches, and that will no longer be the case.

• Maddie says:

I didn’t have an issue with Claire getting into the car. It’s actually believable that a scared, tired, anxious parent is sick of sitting around at home and just wants to do something to find her child even if it’s technically just making things worse. I get it and I don’t think it makes her a dumb parent.

What is starting to wear on me is having members of the following in all these convenient positions. The show needs to be careful here; it’s going to get old if the FBI is always going to get stymied because there’s a mole in every situation.

I’m also thinking that Mike is Roderick.

• Brendan says:

Why would the female cop shoot Roderick and then say I’m with Roderick? And why would Roderick pull a gun on Emma if he was on the phone with her earlier helping her escape…. makes no sense. Roderick sent Hank but he was killed so he knew the female cop was en route and that’s what the phone call to Emma was about. ;)

• Kristen says:

Did any of them ever say specifically that they had met Roderick? I know when Charlie was talking to Carroll it was said that Charlie and Roderick were friends, so it seems like Charlie knows him but it’s been clear that not all the followers are aware of each other. The three at the farm house don’t necessarily know Roderick. They may only have had his number in case of an emergency or maybe they’ve only ever communicated online/by telephone. This is the impression I got but if you remember something that says they’ve met in person please let me know. I could be wrong (it’s happened once or twice in my lifetime)

• snowballx350 says:

OMG! I knowwww! I loved the following but last night was HORRENDOUS! I’m shocked they even let that episode air! A child who has gotten nation wide coverage is found and 4 swat members go to a house? What?!…Even the show Bones wouldn’t do something sooo cheesy/atrocious!

• Todd says:

Yeah, this was a really bad episode. Everyone gets away? PLEASE. There were too many coincidences and leaps in logic. Joe’s master plan covers ALL these variables? Riiight. Next week’s show doesn’t look much better. I may be done with this series.

• SM says:

I think I”m with you AT. It’s getting old seeing every person get away every time. I mean, come on! House is surrounded by FBI and they all still escape. Plus, what the hell took all the other cops so long to get there after they reported the neighbors murdered. Then reported officer down and they still took ten minutes. I don’t care how country the place they were was. If you say officer down, that place is swarming in like 30 seconds. I just can’t believe half the stuff on it anymore. It gets one more episode from me then I may be done.

• JJ says:

I totally agree with your comment. I am losing interest. I so wanted this show to be interesting but it plods along.

5. David4 says:

The show is so outrageous and insane but I enjoy it more every week.

6. motait says:

I don’t think I’ll be following this show for much longer. No pun intended. It started out strong, but has become so ridiculous, it’s infuriating. I am usually a huge fan of Kevin Williamson’s, but he really dropped the ball on this one.

7. Dave says:

Seriously, to all the haters or people who are tuning out because it’s so “preposterous,” “unbelievable,” or “it’s getting ridiculous,” … IT’S A TV SHOW. Don’t nitpick so much and enjoy! If you can’t bear to watch then tune out and shut up. Go back to watching the same dreck that has been on network tv for years and years. What a snooze! The Following has kept me entertained and guessing every episode. Absurd? Sure, sometimes! Entertaining? ABSOLUTELY.

• Leo says:

I can’t help but laugh when I read the comment section weekly. I guess the ones dropping out is the people who usually watches trashy shows and refused to use their brain. This show kept me on the seat of my edge and it’s really one of a kind out there right now.
      Onto this episode, I’d love one of the trio to be shot dead, preferably Emma, but seeing they had a ‘breakup’ was nice. C’mon, Jacob and Paul, turn yourself in and live happily ever after! No?
      I think Charlie will be the first to snap when Claire’s in trouble, he clearly loves her and he is her follower after all.
      I’m so so happy that Megan get out of this mess alive! ^_^ Megan, learn your lesson, don’t be such a slutty girl next time.

• Leah says:

Why is it that every time someone complains about a show, it means they lack intellect? They could be watching better television and would rather not waste their time with anything less. The Following is entertaining, but it is far from “a smart show that stupid people don’t like because they obviously don’t understand it.” Try again.

• Mosh says:

Hmmm… so Megan is “slutty” for flirting with a good looking guy, so obviously she deserved to be kidnapped & held prisoner. I see.

• jay says:

You make no sense. Normal, intelligent people who use their brains are dropping out of “The Following” because it’s gotten ridiculous, stupid, and inconceivable. As far as watching trashy tv or whatever that fart was that seeped out of your head; your first couple sentences sounded like a toothless hillbilly on Jerry Springer. Turn off your tv and go to school.

• snowballx350 says:

“It’s a t.v. show” is an excuse. This is the FOX network…not the damn CW.

• max decent says:

dumb! you should expect more out of your television programing.

8. farhan says:

So after the explosive cliffhanger last week which was suppose to change the show we are now back to square one nothing changed. nothing resolved but the next part of the story begins! Stupid Stupid Stupid Show. 6 episode in and we dont know who is who what is what but the show is getting stupider by each episode….DEBRA IS RODRICK!

• Mo says:

Square one, exactly. I know there are other plants & surely one of the main characters is a plant, and I get that after this episode we now know that they don’t know the scope of the whole plan. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised that some of those shooting at each other were all Joe’s followers without knowing it. I generally don’t have a problem suspending disbelief & watching a show just for entertainment but I already feel so yanked around in just 6 episodes that I don’t know how much longer I can put up with it. I feel like so much of what’s happened so far is just to try to confuse the audience and keep things muddled, and it’s doing nothing to move the story forward.

• marie says:

Exactly! At this point, if it weren’t for Kevin Bacon, who is just so damn good in the role, I’d have tuned out already.

9. George2k says:

HA HA HA HA HA people saying the show is over the top and preposterous,” “unbelievable…… Um you are watching a show about a cult Poe fans …. from a mastermind Evil guy.What the Bleep you expect … um…. Unicorns and candy land ?

10. kavyn says:

I decided to finally catch up with the show today. I’m getting REALLY tired of this whole “I’m really on the bad side” b/s going on with almost every single character. It wouldn’t surprise me if next week Ryan admits he’s ‘with Rodrick’ as well. I didn’t buy it when the nanny and the two neighbours were with Carroll (that was seriously just stupid), but every episode it’s like every single character they introduce is actually also with Carroll.

It’s seriously infuriating when the FBI are in complete control and then out of nowhere everyone on the FBI is suddenly working with Carroll.

• Lyndsey says:

No one in the FBI was revealed as a Follower last night. The shooters at the house were IMPERSONATING the real SWAT guys they had killed. The only plant was the local cop and given the plan had been ongoing for years it makes a creepy kind of sense that you would actually either convert or install someone of the local police force as a backup in case something went wrong.

11. farhan says:

It kind of shows that The FBI are stupid. The way they were taken out. I believe that Debra is Rodrick. her past was shown today a troublesome past something that Joe is looking for. She knows a lot about a cult. She is too close and the way FBI was taken down too easy…Just trying to figure out one thing…What the show is about..is it about the his case…his vengeance…his wife…is it about ryan…or is about his pacemaker…are they planning to answer any question…when will the story move forward…??

• log says:

hahahah about Ryan or his pacemaker, great one! good questions which i’m sure the show will begin to solve and then muck it up, aka what happens every episode.

12. Mark says:

I’m done. This episode was ridiculous. I guess the whole world is with Joe. LOL.

13. Russ says:

They only thing I like about the show is Jacob and Paul. They need to be together Emma is a B.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I agree that Jacob and Paul are one of the few interesting aspects of the show. I like their strange dynamic, even without Emma involved. But the love triangle is an intruiging twist on all the lamer love triangles shows attempt to create!

14. Germaine says:

For all the people who think that the situations in the Following are absurd I give you Scientology, whose members believe in a so-called religion that was started by a Science Fiction writer and who have members that will keep you in line if you want to leave. Then we have Jim Jones who talked all his cult members into drinking poisoned Kool-Aid and who can forget Charles Manson and Manson family who killed 7 although it’s thought there were more victims whose bodies have never been found. So yes, some people are just ripe for the right kind of persuasion and will do heinous things for their leader.

• kavyn says:

The small group of six followers was acceptable (Emma, Paul, etc) but at the moment every new character that gets introduced is working for Joe. It’s like a political party or something, half the FBI are working for him. And we’re to believe he gained all these followers from being a ‘really inspirational teacher’ or by hacking an online library. I mean, they really need to stop going for shock value and start explaining their stuff because nothing about this show is believable.

• AngD says:

The ‘FBI agents’ who shot the others in the house were followers that stole the clothing and weapons of other agents they killed.

• meem says:

Huh? As of yet, there are NO FBI members in the cult. The two who came in the house and shot the guys were only dressed as FBI swat team members. They’re the two who killed the FBI guys in the field, and took their clothes. The woman was a local police officer. Obviously we’re going to learn that someone in the FBI works for Joe, but right now there’s no one.

• Alex says:

You obviously don’t understand some clear elements of the show that other people get with no trouble, so I’m thinking the problem is with your comprehension as a viewer, not with the series itself.

• kavyn says:

I have no issues with comprehending the show, I understand what’s going on. Yes, I did get confused about the two that killed the FBI agents, but that’s it.

It’s pretty clear the writing is focusing on shock value and not explaining how everyone in the entire world is working with Joe. It’s getting pretty absurd that suddenly all of these people are conveniently placed so that three kidnappers *completely surrounded* by FBI can ALL escape. What a load of BS. I do find the show entertaining but it’s very difficult to watch a show that pulls punches out of nowhere just to surprise viewers, and usually it’s always the same twist of “X is actually also in the cult!” It wouldn’t surprise me if by the end of the season, everyone is in fact working for Joe aside from Ryan Hardy, because that’s where the plot is headed right now.

15. AB says:

This episode was fantastic. It’s fiction, it doesn’t have to apply real world sense. It’s not Law and Order or a reality show.

16. Alice says:

It’s like the show has one card: This person…is really in the cult! Gasp.

And they play it over, and over, and over, and over.

• shuayb says:

Lol! I said the exact same thing to my friend! That’s Kevin Williamson for you. He finds something and then beats it to death.
      Note in TVD- Bonnie became a witch and the only way to get everyone out of their supernatural pickles.

17. James says:

this show is quickly loosing its appeal to me. it is extremely predictable and utterly infeasible. these little tet-a-tets with Joe in the prison are just absurd. the kiddnapping of the son is drawn out way past its proper conclusion. Emma and the triangle are boring and liniar. Hardy’s heart problem is totally inconsistent. the list goes on. the concept is a good one but its been over played to the point where it simply takes you out of the atmosphere. Kevin Bacon can only carry a show so long, as can James Purefoy. I might keep watching just to see how the resolve things or I might not, but either way I’m not invested at all in this show. Sorry don’t mean to troll or harsh anybodies opinions of the show, its just my own personal feeling on it.

• tripoli says:

I mostly agree with you. The last episode just drove me nuts. I loved the pilot a lot and was really excited to see what was to come but as you’ve stated, it’s kinda all over the place and not in a good way. It would have been far more interesting to me if one of the 3 holding Joey had been caught. See how they hold up when not together. I knew the young, female cop was going to be a follower so that reveal was just so boring to me and just keeps this stupid kidnapping storyline going far longer than it needs to. I also don’t care to see everyone’s back story. Not now anwyays. Unless we start to get a few more pieces of the puzzle put together, stop adding more. I’ll stil watch as it still holds my interest but I’m really hoping it picks up and gives me more of what I loved when watching the pilot.

18. Emily says:

Argh, I can’t turn the TV off on Kevin Bacon. I just can’t. But apparently Joe just happens to teach master classes in deep cover acting from behind bars. And he’s general of his own personal armed forces. What? I honestly think I’d buy it more if they were like f*** it, magic exists and half the nation is under a spell. It would explain a lot.

• meem says:

Not Joe, Roderick. He’s quickly proving to by the lynchpin, the one calling all the moment-to-moment shots, and directing the pawns in this giant game.

19. adambramble says:

getting better and better xD

20. Para says:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the show more and more and more?????

the best new show!!! Revolution is nothing compared to the following!

• patrick says:

The Following is great (and I like Revolution a lot too), but they are nothing compared to Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and Homeland. I’d say those are the 3 best shows on TV now… Still love The Following though — in my top 5!

• patrick says:

Realized you said new haha.. that’s true then hahaha

• Ebony says:

I am with you all the way! Except I don’t know if I enjoyed episode 6 the most. I totally disagree with the people saying this show is getting boring. It kind of makes me mad, because if it’s so “boring”, what the hell are you still watching it for? Like come on. I think it’s good that episode 6 was a weaker episode because that leaves so much suspense for the viewers. The show was pure magic from the “Pilot” episode so we KNOW there will be more to it. What if there was a spin on it that revealed someone as not really being a follower? You never know. The true fans will just have to be patient. For all the haters, If ya don’t like the show, it doesn’t take much to pick up the freaking remote. Sheesh.

21. Anna says:

Is it bad that whilst watching I was hoping the serial killer psychopaths would be alright? I was rooting for Jacob, Paul and Emma over Ryan… that’s normal, right?
    Also, there were “only” 3 “surprise” Joe-followers revealed, two of them disguised themselves as FBI, so no, Joe hasn’t infiltrated the whole FBI like some of you guys are saying. I think there are enough crazy people in the world to justify this cult being a little bigger than just 6 people…

• baseballqueen says:

Thank you Anna! These people talking about the FBI were driving me nuts. The “FBI” guys who shot those coming in after Jacob and Paul were just guys in the FBI gear. They weren’t FBI. We haven’t been shown a single FBI person who is definitively with Joe.

As for Claire going with that guy – I completely agree it was a bonehead move, BUT her husband is a psycho serial murderer who had “followers” kidnap her kid and then send her video of them “training” him to be a killer (or at the very least de-sensitizing him to violence and murder). She was desperate. She feels like this is the only way she’ll see her son who it appears is her whole world – there’s been no other family or anything introduced.

22. cas says:

So all the people that are complaining about how unbelieveable it is, what kinds of shows do you watch? Because I am pretty sure that most of the shows I watch are unbelieveable. Walking Dead which is one of the best shows on TV is very unbelieveable but that doesn’t stop it from being good. And I don’t have kids but I imagine you love them enough to do just about anything to get them back, including riding in a car with a crazy person.

• Brett says:

I was excited for The Following at first, and thought the pilot episode was very solid. However, I think over time it’s become clear that Williamson and his writing staff can’t come up with better ways to raise the stakes of the show than by either A.) Killing someone/threatening a main character’s life or by B.) a reveal that *gasp* so-and-so is really a follower of Joe’s. There are other ways to raise the stakes of a show, and that’s why people are becoming turned off by the repetitive violence on The Following. Shows like The Walking Dead, Homeland, and Breaking Bad exploit the emotional realness of a situation, but The Following is so reliant upon violence as the ultimate climax of the episode, that it’s unrelatable. Heck, I’m a huge fan of The Vampire Diaries, and think they did an amazing episode last week that was emotionally resonant. It’s why I’ll cross my fingers and hope that Kevin WIlliamson can improve The Following in due time.

23. Mark P says:

Favorite part: “So not the time, Paul!” HAHAHA :))

Where is that asian woman in the pilot episode beside Ryan? she’s gone now. What happened to her?

• farhan says:

Ryan saved her, he helps her out of the house and then the swat team take care of her n make sure she is alright. thats what we saw….in reality if we have to predict what happened after watching the last night episode…swat team shot her becuz they are joes followers too… ;-)

• In ep. 2 when agent Parker appears, she explains that the other agent (the asian woman) was transferred to Quantico because the bureau didn’t feel she was a good “leader” for the case if she let Ryan break Carrol’s hand during an interrogation.

• Emily says:

She was recast (Gabriela explained how, story-wise). They felt that they needed an older person for the role.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Incorrect; Jeananne Goossen’s character was reprimanded/sent away. Annie Parisse is playing someone entirely new. — Mgmt.

• Emily says:

OK, I phrased that poorly. I meant the character was replaced with an older one, not that Annie Parisse was playing the same character. Referenced Gabriela’s post to explain, but yeah.

• Shaun says:

As Matt says….this woman is a cult specialist.The other one was leader of a serial killer task force I think.

24. N says:

Mike is a Follower! Still love Kevin Bacon!

25. Nina says:

I really like this show but last night’s episode was terrible!

26. JB says:

I honestly do not understand some of the comments (or Ausiello’s tweet) about this show. It is called THE FOLLOWING. It is about followers of a serial killer. The entire premise of the show is that there is a vast network of followers of this serial killer who are slowly revealed over time. If you don’t like seeing or discovering who new followers are each week, well that’s the premise of the show, isn’t it? If Joe thought that a little group of 9 lunatics was enough to wreak havoc then he would be pretty dumb as well.

Also, no FBI agents have been revealed to be followers as of yet. I found the blond local cop to be totally believable. It seems apparent that the followers had planned to bring Joey to that particular location in a small rural town for years. Why not plant a follower in the police force to be activated if stuff hit the fan?

My biggest issue going forward is that I think a lot of viewers are invested in Paul/Jacob/Emma. If Paul and Jacob die then my interest in watching the show fades significantly. I’m curious to see how Paul and Jacob became followers. It seems to me that Jacob was put very purposefully with two people (Paul and Emma) who needed desperately to love someone.

I’m also curious to see who Roderick is. This seems like its heading towards a big reveal. We see all these people being put in place by Roderick.

27. bluesman3535 says:

Too much stupidity
    1 – why haven’t they interrogated/locked up every single person who visited Joe in prison?
    2 – the @$%# FBI and Charlie – “He’s gone” they shout, giving up after 1.2 seconds of pursuit
    3 – Claire, really? You didn’t get it that car
    4 – Ryan, you could’t wait for backup? now that cop’s dead.

• meem says:

1. That is a good question. Although many of Joe’s followers never visited him in prison, I’d bet. I bet a lot are actually following Roderick at this point.
      2. Do you really want to waste 10 minutes of a 42-minute TV show watching cops run around in the dark looking? Didn’t think so. You have no idea how long they looked.
      3. Agreed. Really really stupid. I don’t care that her kid was missing and she’s a frantic mom. She wasn’t, up until now, a STUPID mom.
      4. They weren’t approaching the house when the s#*t hit the fan, they were just getting a closer look. They WERE waiting for backup.

• bluesman3535 says:

#2 – show 10 seconds of chase at least and then I’d live with “he’s gone” they just didn’t try at all, not acceptable when the suspect in questions is part of a serial killer cult.

#5 – how did paul/jaccob and emma escape with all those cops watching. and, what does it mean when they said “six entrances but only three access points”. Nonsense to justify the coming escape. One killer escaping all those cops, maybe. Two separate cars with killers … nope.

• Pat D. says:

Bluesman, I agree 100% with #1. And dont they tape every conversation a prisoner has with visitors (other than his legal team)?

• Lyndsey says:

In reference to your first question:
      1) it’s not illegal to visit a prisoner therefore they cannot simply be “locked up.”
      2) it’s been revealed that the majority of these followers are using, or have used, fake names…if they visited under their real names then it’s likely they are now using a fake one (like Emma, Jacob, & Paul) for the “Plan” or they used a fake one at the jail so that the police wouldn’t be able to track them later

• jay says:

Lmao! #2 is why I’m not watching another episode. Dude glanced in the doorway, “HE’S GONE!!” WTF?! If I wrote the story I would have added:
      Swat team member: He’s gone!!!

Guy in charge: Well, go get him, Stupid!

28. Jennifer D. says:

Mike Weston, is Roderick. Telling you right now. I’m convinced!

29. Mark says:

Yeah, I was there until this week, then it got stupid. I love a good story, and I’m willing to suspend my disbelief quite a ways to make things work. I’m not miffed by the idea that some convicted killer could dream up a scheme and execute it from behind bars. I don’t have a problem with a mother doing dumb things when her kid is in danger. I’ll even buy that a cop might be a mole for some cult. What gets me is when the powers of a particular character become superhuman, and extend beyond any rational suspension of disbelief. That three cult followers could best an elite hoard of FBI is just stupid. Two trained FBI agents cannot be outgunned at close range by one bad guy. There was no way in hell a situation like that farmhouse showdown could resolve itself and have even one of the core three escape, never mind ALL three. If they wanted to be believable, the raid on the farm would have been a tense success. Emma would have survived if you want the audience to be outraged and possibly even helped Joe’s plan in some capacity by tossing a wrench in the works from custody. Better would have been to have her offed in a way that’s satisfying to the viewership so people will get a payoff for investing their time in the show for six weeks, and move the story to the next stage. If it were me, I’d have the kid rescued and then focus on the mother. Keep her in peril for a while, reveal Roderick as someone from both Claire and Ryan’s past who isn’t just a follower but almost an equal to Joe who just hasn’t been caught yet. Keep the kid crying for mom to inject pathos. There’s all KINDS of ways this could have played out that are less stupid than three emotionally ill-equipped 20somethings besting the FBI’s best SWAT team through the use of one mole and some superman who’s a better shot with a hand gun than two trained guys with assault rifles. Stupid. You lost me.

• Lyndsey says:

The background of the trio’s “rescuers” has not been established yet. For all we know they were sent because they’re ex-Special Forces. I don’t believe a Navy SEAL would need “superhuman” abilities to get the drop on 2 FBI agents (who, after all, are still just cops…not to disparage any police force). Seriously, I have a friend who’s a retired SEAL and even though he’s in his late fifties I’ve seen him take down a guy half his age & twice his size in less than a minute.

Besides all that, all cops (local, state, federal, etc) are trained to shoot/kill as a last resort so, assault rifles or not, anyone with a complete lack of self-preservation and an unflinching desire to kill would stand decent odds.

• Mark says:

True, and considering our resident evil hacker/wife snatcher is ex-military, that wouldn’t be a far shot, not to mention the fact that if they’re traumatized ex-military it fits quite well with Emma the traumatized kid who offs her mom. I’ll give you that, even though it seems less satisfying if true. I’ll also concede that cops might be last to shoot as a knee-jerk reaction, setting aside for the moment that these were extremely well-equipped cops who probably wouldn’t have been dropped by a hand gun bullet if they were in some sort of standard issue armor.

Still it remains iffy to me that the lot of them in two separate vehicles can somehow escape a total lock-down. They were vastly outnumbered and should have been caught/killed. As has been stated by someone else in this thread, you sort of have to give the good guys a big win every now and again or it stops being fun. This was a case where the writers had that opportunity and inexplicably passed it up for the highly implausible. It’s little choices like that which separate the good writing from the exceptional, IMO.

Sigh. I suppose I should be happy it isn’t reality TV, at least. :)

• Lyndsey says:

Ha! Very true…or a procedural! ;-)

I agree that it’s unrealistic that all of them escaped but given the rural, wooded setting, the “inside” guys, and the primary focus appearing to be the rescue of Joey (not securing the perpetrators first) it’s not necessarily impossible…it’s no deus ex machina. I wanted them to rescue the kid for sure but then I also wanted the trio to escape just to see what crazy thing they do next so I’m conflicted on the results. Perhaps Hardy wouldn’t be so involved though with Joe back in prison & Joey safe? Those seem to be the only reason he agreed to help.

• Mark says:

Nah, he’d hang on for the love of his life Claire and he’d want to be the big man who brought his mom back to Joey. If the show really is only 15 episodes, then now’s a good time to shake it up, and once again before the end. If Emma walks away from this whole thing in episode 15 with a wry wink and ‘we’ll-see-you-next-season’ nod, then I’m out for good. As it stands, I’m pretty much only watching anymore because there’s nothing better on, and that’s saying something.

30. Disco Dave says:

This show is a snore because it’s gotten predictable. The bad guys are the roadrunners and the FBI is Wily E. Coyote in every episode.

The writers have made the FBI too inept and too slow to give any real drama about whether the bad guys get caught or not. The endless supply of conveniently close highly trained sleeper agents is also hilariously bad.

31. JohnQPublic says:

I love how these amateur screenwriters and producers all think they can produce a better script and end product than the actual pros do. Everyone who is so bloody capable, should head to Hollywood and get to work, otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the show or change the channel and watch something else.

32. Lisa says:

Love the show, but its kinda like “V”. If you don’t give the good guys a big win once in a while, it stops being fun.

33. Kevin says:

TV doesn’t have to be believable to be good, the problem with the following is that it’s neither believable or good. The most charismatic person on the whole show is stuck in a cell. Episode 1 was great but it’s quickly unraveled since. Personally, I think this would have been great as 4 or six episodes. Like “Luther”. Not much is belieable on that show either, but then again Idris can act his way around Kevin Bacon on any day of the week.

34. Rob says:

This show is too ridiculous. I loved the pilot, but it’s quickly losing its charm. How many more “OMG this person is actually a follower” twists will we have this season? You start to predict that the most supposed “shock value”outcome is likely to play out and it gets boring. Like who else didn’t see that the female cop was a follower? Predictable. I must say that I absolutely loved the scenes with Emma and Parker. And F- Yeah for everyone who called out Joyce Summers! LOL

35. Lyndsey says:

It’s amazing to me that after we’ve seen what leaders like Jim Jones, Charles Manson, David Koresh, Osama bin Laden, etc have been able to convince people to do that anyone would try to argue over the “believability” of a charismatic figure being able to exert this level of influence over his followers. My God, have you people forgotten that one of the most charismatic leaders in history was Adolf Hitler??!! You find it hard to believe this guy could have persuaded as much as a few dozen people to follow his orders? Hitler convinced an entire country (heck, most of the European continent) to either actively participate, or at the very least become passively complicit, in the attempted extermination of an entire ethnic group!!! What’s the difference? So far the people we’ve seen following Joe Carroll are seriously disturbed who seem to have required little provocation to kill. In Germany the majority of the members of the SS, the true believers, were normal, often well-educated men with no sign of psychosis. So how exactly is the representation of Carroll’s cult beyond the realm of believability?

Now, I’m not saying the show is extremely realistic or even mostly realistic. It is, after all, a TV show! But as the famous prison experiment showed decades ago, people can be extremely gullible and easily persuaded into extremely sadistic behavior. Disturbing, but true. Personally I find the show interesting and I like that you can never really trust anybody. At least it’s not another cop procedural. That alone makes it better than half the new shows this season. Even better Kevin Bacon is clearly having a ball with his character and his interaction with our little criminal trio last night was just superb! James Purefoy has also been excellent. He has just the right amount of charm & earnestness to make him believable as a cult leader. You can almost see the devious plots forming through his eyes. My only complaint is that the show isn’t using him enough. I hope that changes quickly!

36. Mike says:

This show gets a little worse every episode. Bacon makes one bone head move after another. No wonder the FBI had gotten rid of him. The bad guys always get away no matter what. Tonight they had the whole place surronded, but fear not, they all manged to get out. Kevin Bacon looks like death warmed over. Maybe he really does have a pace maker in real life.

37. The Squatch says:

For some reason, the very first time they showed the local female cop on screen I immediately knew she was a follower. They just seemed to focus on her too much.

The thing that I was most annoyed with was at the point where Ryan shot the follower/cop he then just watched as Emma drove away with the kid. I know he was supposed to be having (very convenient) sudden pains in his chest, but he had just put the woman cop down with a single perfect shot. So all I kept thinking as he was standing there for a good several seconds before the adrenaline faded and the pains kicked in was… Shoot.The.Freakin’.Tires.Out. Then she couldn’t have gotten away before back up arrived. I know it’s a TV show and we have to suspend disbelief, which I am happy to do with shows I enjoy. I just thought that seemed so obvious as what he could do.

• tripoli says:

You and me both Squatch! Knew the second the female cop showed up that she’d be in on it. Lots of focus on her being a part of the attempted rescue of Joey, and other than the local cop who died, not a lot of screen time for other local enforcement. Too obvious on that one. I too was yelling at Hardy to shoot out the tires. Even if he couldn’t immediately run after Emma and Joey, going on foot would have slowed them down and given others a chance to catch up or try to locate them. It was so maddening! Shoot the damn tires! Pacemaker be damned!

38. Angela says:

I will watch this show to the end IN SPITE of the bad writing because I want to see how it plays out. Yes – shoot the tires out, Ryan! don’t get in the car, Claire! Can’t they do better than this for Kevin Bacon? Good thing it’s only 15 episodes.

39. MarkL says:

Let’s not forget that Joey went from drugged to running by himself with a woman he now fears. I’d say the Following jumped the shark but I think the shark is a follower also!

To the defenders who point out there are no FBI followers….just wait.

What started out promising became laughable this week.

• Mark says:

Thanks for the laugh. :)

Yeah, I also thought that was stupid. Hell, we can’t get kids that know and love us in gear on a good day. To have Joey drugged, awakened and doing what he’s told no worries by this woman who kidnapped him and locked him in a room earlier? Pfft.

Oh wait–that’s it! Joey’s a follower too! Makes sense! He wanted to see his dad in prison and since kids are so naive, you know…

40. Richikev says:

Kevin Williamson has said that “24″ was his favorite television show. He set out to make something as close to that as possible. Once you know what his influence is, it really shows. And it makes the show so much more enjoyable. “24″ was completely implausible, and that’s what I loved about it. And it’s kind of what I love about “The Following”. It’s not supposed to be real or thoughtful television. As someone else stated earlier, it’s “Scream” for tv. I loved “Scream” and I love this show too.

• Mark says:

If this were ’24′, Emma would have been caught/killed. The writers for that show knew how to keep audiences enthralled without looking stupid. 24 was totally awesome for the first four seasons and then it totally tanked, mostly for the very reasons The Following is tanking now, the only difference is that The Following did in 6 weeks what 24 took four seasons to do. Maybe that’s why… we’ve seen it before. 24 was a hell of a unique, hard-hitting idea. This feels warmed over. The only thing I recall laughing at in the first season of 24 was the fact Bauer never seemed to have to use the washroom. He was busy for a solid 24 hours. Must have had it removed surgically. :)

41. Carol says:

I am puzzled by Debra taking Joe the Poe book. Remember?

42. sweetpea says:

The show is called The Following. It was explained before it started to air what the premise was going to be. It hasn’t strayed from that premise. As far as unbelievible-do you know how much fan mail psychopaths in prison get? What their following is like? The access that some of them get? It is easy to imagine the cult following someone on tv can have, when you think about real-life “psycho” cults.